Boise State's offensive Decline (Statistically)

shabby

11 hours ago, shabby said:

Not being critical but seeking information. Do we have reason to be hopeful that Harsin will bring offensive improvement? Looking at Boiase in 2018 and the ranked 20th in the nation in total offensive stats but then in 2019 and 20 their rankings significantly plummetted out of the top 100 offenses. Yikes. What happenned? I know very little about Boise and Harsin as an offensive coach other than he did well win loss-wise. But seeing the offensive struggles leaves me less than hopeful. I'm sure i'm missing somehting here and that's what this thread is for. Why do we expect offensive improvement with Harsin?

Better players, improved resources, more quality coordinators, X&O guy, a lot more detail than a gimmick offense, seems adaptive, sounds like he is willing to mix up and learn. All of that makes me think that he will take past successes and failures and use it to grow as a coach and put what is best for the team first.

Unlike his predecessor who was paranoid, refuse to adapt, had a gimmick that was eventually figured out and refused to do any of the little things that most successful leaders choose to do. But hey he is a good guy and at least he got paid. 

Didn't Boise go from a 4 year starter in Rypien to a new QB last year? 

BSU consistently had a good offense. 1 year in Covid doesn't make a trend 

Most importantly of all, BSU was 10-3 regular season in '18 and 12-1 in '19. I'm good with that trend. 

12 hours ago, shabby said:

Not being critical but seeking information. Do we have reason to be hopeful that Harsin will bring offensive improvement? Looking at Boiase in 2018 and the ranked 20th in the nation in total offensive stats but then in 2019 and 20 their rankings significantly plummetted out of the top 100 offenses. Yikes. What happenned? I know very little about Boise and Harsin as an offensive coach other than he did well win loss-wise. But seeing the offensive struggles leaves me less than hopeful. I'm sure i'm missing somehting here and that's what this thread is for. Why do we expect offensive improvement with Harsin?

While the offense slipped, here’s their record during that period (2018-2020):

Overall:     27-7

Conf:         20-1

That tells me he finds a way to win, in spite of what the stats say in the box score. Harsin was part of 10+win seasons most of is career as OC and HC. Bobo had a similar run at UGA with 10+ win seasons while OC. Between the two of them I believe they will figure it out. Can’t wait for Spring and Kickoff in the fall. War Eagle 🦅 

He’s got some years to prove what he can do. Nothing about Harsin or the staff he’s hired suggests either sudden turnaround or failure. We’ve got something at least well thought out offensively it seems and I’ll take that over the schoolyard offense we’ve been stuck with for years.

47 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

Nothing about Harsin or the staff he’s hired suggests either sudden turnaround or failure.

"competent" is what it suggests to me

1 hour ago, jAUSon said:

They were young and banged up. Covid. They still had a solid season.

Is that you Gus?  :poke:

3 hours ago, AUGoo said:

Yikes!!!

A little harsh there Freak.  Tough day?

Hope you got a beer and mellowed a bit.

Did you click the link they provided?  I get tired of the drive by statement of "fact" and then snarky responses when said "facts" get challenged.

I also was on my second cocktail, and most of my filters were gone by then, lol.

26 minutes ago, The Freak said:

I also was on my second cocktail, and most of my filters were gone by then, lol.

The beauty of alcohol effects on personal relations, lol

10 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

That tells me he finds a way to win, in spite of what the stats say in the box score. Harsin was part of 10+win seasons most of is career as OC and HC. Bobo had a similar run at UGA with 10+ win seasons while OC. Between the two of them I believe they will figure it out. Can’t wait for Spring and Kickoff in the fall. War Eagle 🦅 

So what you're saying is even though the offense slipped a tad, he kept on winning. I like that concept. 

10 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Didn't Boise go from a 4 year starter in Rypien to a new QB last year? 

Yes, Bachmeier's freshman season was last year.  His first ever start was against F$U on the road in Tallahassee.  Boise got down huge in the 1st quarter.  It was like 21-3 and FSU was just running away with the game.  But Boise regrouped in the 2nd half and came back and won.  You could tell Boise was seriously outmanned at some spots on the field as well, especially at LB and DT. So winning that game was pretty impressive.  Yes, FSU was bad last year, but they still have talent everywhere on that squad.

That game is a good game to watch if you wanna see Harsin's offense.  It's a lot different than what we see with Gus.  Harsin prefers to huddle.  He runs his QB under center most of the time. He doesn't spread the field.  He runs bunched TE sets.  His WR's often line-up close to the TE's (not spread very wide).  But he also does run QB from shotgun with WR's spread out wide like you see in CFB all the time now, so he is flexible.  It reminds me quite a bit of what Gorgeous Borges used to do.

11 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Look at the losses as well. 4 of the 7 are to teams that Boise should lose to.

at Oklahoma State

at BYU

vs Washington (bowl)

vs BYU (#9 - this year)

Harsin went 12-2 in 2019 even when he had to start a couple of games with his third string QB. in 2019 and 2020 his starter got hurt. His starter who lit up FSU in his first career game at Tally and who was a 4 star recruit.

I will respectfully say Boise State was the big dog in the conference. They were the only ranked team in the conference. Its a difference animal when u are playing 4 to 6 Teams in the top 10 within the conference.  Also through in the fact that Auburn has at least schedule a good P5 school over the last few years. He will have better resources but the task at hand is a much different animal.

3 hours ago, e808 said:

I will respectfully say Boise State was the big dog in the conference. They were the only ranked team in the conference. Its a difference animal when u are playing 4 to 6 Teams in the top 10 within the conference.  Also through in the fact that Auburn has at least schedule a good P5 school over the last few years. He will have better resources but the task at hand is a much different animal.

You’re exactly right. And there is no way to run that gauntlet year after year with just a team. You have to have a program built for excellence from top to bottom. Harsin gets that and I’m excited to see if he can transfer that culture to AU. War Eagle 🦅 

Archived