I can't wait!!!

cole256

37 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

This is the kind I want on the OL scariest OL I ever knew at AU. 

image.jpeg

Tom Banks Jr. football card (Auburn Tigers) 1989 Collegiate Collection Coca  Cola #101 at Amazon's Sports Collectibles Store

That brings back some good memories! I grew up in St. Louis loving the Cardinal offensive line. Auburn could use a Conrad Dobler clone too. And a Dierdorf clone. Those guys were awesome 

1 minute ago, countoff said:

That brings back some good memories! I grew up in St. Louis loving the Cardinal offensive line. Auburn could use a Conrad Dobler clone too. And a Dierdorf clone. Those guys were awesome 

Everyone hated Dobler and Banks teaming up on them

6 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Everyone hated Dobler and Banks teaming up on them

I was at a game siting about three rows back in the end zone. The cards scored and one of the giants defenders did something to terry metcalf out of frustration.  Banks and Dobler picked the guy up and wrapped him around the goal post! There were some x-rated words being screamed. And a huge fight broke out right in front of me!

Golf!  Dammit!  Now you got me all excited. Gonna have to go see what wife is up to

24 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You can bring up o line. I don't know about that but we absolutely are too small on defense naming one big player doesn't mean a thing when the guy beside him is 265 and the linebackers both are 215 220. Our linebackers don't suck they just get ran over at times 

Our linebackers were playing out of position because 6'0 240 pound Britt was injured, and 6'2 230 pound Wooten decided to opt out of the season. Sure; depth at LB was obviously an issue - but the plan was never to play a guy like Pappoe in the middle. There was no "initiative" to recruit and field 205 pound linebackers.

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

image.jpeg

Tom Banks Jr. football card (Auburn Tigers) 1989 Collegiate Collection Coca  Cola #101 at Amazon's Sports Collectibles Store

By reputation Banks was nasty and spent a long time in the league. Can you imagine lining up against an OL with  him and Conrad Dobler on it?

2 minutes ago, metafour said:

Our linebackers were playing out of position because 6'0 240 pound Britt was injured, and 6'2 230 pound Wooten decided to opt out of the season. Sure; depth at LB was obviously an issue - but the plan was never to play a guy like Pappoe in the middle. There was no "initiative" to recruit and field 205 pound linebackers.

Ok then so like I said we need more size and then it wouldn't be a problem. We need to recruit size on the d line and linebackers. Need to be able to stop the run. So like I said I'm excited that we will be doing that and not doing the let's prove to the world we can make these 190 200 pound linebackers into players. That's all. I'm not trying to argue with anybody over something that simple. I don't just name random dumb posts I know what I'm talking about

Anyone notice Grimes and Hand OLs often seemed to get pancaked. Really frustrating to see them practically stand straight up, feet together at the snap, and then just get pushed over backward like a Jenga tower. Maybe it was the typical Malzan cycle where midway through the season they got better. But it begged the question, “what do they teach in drills??” and “do they not start teaching til game 4?” O linemen are fairly smart to execute the blocking schemes for the playbook and reads. So usually they’re plenty smart to understand basic physics and leverage. May have been a problem in subsequent seasons, but I kind of tuned out. Yeah, it obviously would be great to see technique and attitude in that squad now-on.

1 hour ago, countoff said:

You might as well throw in Roger Wehrli and Jim Hart!

7 hours ago, Grumps said:

You might as well throw in Roger Wehrli and Jim Hart!

Jackie Smith, Mel Gray, Jim Otis, Pat Tilley, etc.  That was a fun team to watch.

50 minutes ago, countoff said:

Jackie Smith, Mel Gray, Jim Otis, Pat Tilley, etc.  That was a fun team to watch.

Larry Willingham for a few years as well 71 and 72 I think........................................on a side not how did it go with the wife countoff?

12 hours ago, cole256 said:

Ok then so like I said we need more size and then it wouldn't be a problem. We need to recruit size on the d line and linebackers. Need to be able to stop the run. So like I said I'm excited that we will be doing that and not doing the let's prove to the world we can make these 190 200 pound linebackers into players. That's all. I'm not trying to argue with anybody over something that simple. I don't just name random dumb posts I know what I'm talking about

TD is moving to LB. There's some size. Woohoo!

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Larry Willingham for a few years as well 71 and 72 I think........................................on a side not how did it go with the wife countoff?

Well...after 35 years of marriage...my wife knows that our "special dance" helps calm me down.

giphy.gif

On 1/13/2021 at 8:04 AM, augolf1716 said:

On 1/12/2021 at 7:45 PM, augolf1716 said:

image.jpeg

My buddy Tom Banks!  I’ve known him and his family for years.  I played slow pitch with him and a couple of his brothers for years.  He was a bad a— on the football field and could crush a softball.  

On 1/12/2021 at 8:25 PM, countoff said:

I liked Conrad Dobler myself.  They say he was the meanest man to ever play.  The press one time asked him why he'd bite the hand of defensive players.  His response was what would you want me to do when they stick their hand in my mouth.  Another guy on that line that was strong was Bob Young.  He had a brother that was a powerlifting champion.

On 1/12/2021 at 3:13 PM, bigbird said:

I'm not sure it's size. We've had adequate size just not any attitude to go along with it.

This has been our problem the past few years. We've had size but we've been soft. I'd rather have a 250lb guy who'd knock your dikk in the dirt rather than a 325lb guy who was soft. We have to get a mean streak back on both lines.

On 1/13/2021 at 7:04 AM, augolf1716 said:

I played golf with Larry a couple of years ago.  He’s a great guy and a great DB who could hit like a truck. 

Archived