Transfer QB TJ Finley

Zeek

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

I feel fairly confident that CBH wants to get there, too.

Perfect world sure, but I don't think he cares tbqh.  I'm pretty sure Rypien was a 4 year started and played a true freshman last year.  He'll play best guy.  We'll see who that is.

I'm not sure I agree with a lot of posters that Finley is coming in and it is an obvious sign of what they think of Bo.  Loy is awful.  DD is a TrFr.  I see Finely as 1) needed back-up plan that has SEC experience if Bo gets hurt.  2) a really talented player that has SEC experience and could play if Bo struggles.  3) A big talented kid that can be an extremely good starter with some more development.

He makes us better.  Even if he isn't the starter we're better off with him.

• Like 3

This absolutely shows what the coaches and Finley thinks as well, as far as the QB position.

Edited by cole256

16 minutes ago, cole256 said:

This absolutely shows what the coaches and Finley thinks as well, as far as the QB position.

I don't really get this statement.  We recruit players every year.  HS and transfer.  Of course they think he could be a good QB, why else would they take him?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I'm not sure I agree with a lot of posters that Finley is coming in and it is an obvious sign of what they think of Bo.

What posters are you referring to? I don't see that opinion once in this thread.

20 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Yeah, it does. That's not an indictment on Bo, though, it's an indictment on the rest of the QB room.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Yeah, it does. That's not an indictment on Bo, though, it's an indictment on the rest of the QB room.

I think it's a little of both. From Harsin's comments, you can get that he wants more competition in the room, and that pertains as much to Bo not having any competition w/ a SR transfer that probably will never see the field and a raw TR freshman that needs a lot of coaching to learn Harsin's system. Harsin mentions, competition makes everyone else in the QB room work even harder, bc they want to get better, and it pushes them to compete... 

1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

I think it's a little of both. From Harsin's comments, you can get that he wants more competition in the room, and that pertains as much to Bo not having any competition w/ a SR transfer that probably will never see the field and a raw TR freshman that needs a lot of coaching to learn Harsin's system. Harsin mentions, competition makes everyone else in the QB room work even harder, bc they want to get better, and it pushes them to compete... 

What I meant was it doesn't mean Harsin thinks Bo can't be a good QB, it just means he knows there needs to be more competition, like you said.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

What I meant was it doesn't mean Harsin thinks Bo can't be a good QB, it just means he knows there needs to be more competition, like you said.

I believe this is correct.  We need both competition and depth.  

5 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I see. I agree. I want Bo to succeed mainly bc we all know he puts in the work, and loves being an Auburn legacy.

Now it's a matter, when crunch time comes in those games at Penn ST, w/ GA, etc.. does Bo show improvement in executing Harsin's offense, and are we more successful on offense bc of Bo? 

If he does... fantastic. If he doesn't now we have a more experienced backup that might help if not during the season then maybe for sure next year...

Just now, Randman5000 said:

Nice. This is the best recruiting job so far by Brian Harsin and staff! Love it. 

PS. Let's get some weapons on the outside for these guys!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

I don't really get this statement.  We recruit players every year.  HS and transfer.  Of course they think he could be a good QB, why else would they take him?

The same way Gus knew to get rid of guys because he didn't want QB pressure, these coaches know what this brings. That's one. The fact that he chose to come he knows the coaches don't think there's some big gap between the two. 

This isn't some we know this is the guy and you have to wait your turn situation. Everybody knows that the QB position hasn't been played well. 

I know you are a Bo homer but like I said Bo is a QB that haven't been able to throw down field and he throws jump balls.....nobody, absolutely nobody is looking at that and thinking that can't be replaced. That's it. I bet Joey gatewood is wishing this coaching change happened a couple of years ago

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

I think it's to everybody. Players know. Players know other players. Team to team. I guarantee some players on our team told him to come on you can beat him out. 

I know you are into basketball like me, there wouldn't be anybody coming in thinking they could beat flannigan out if they were wanting to transfer in. You see how the thought of competition can make guys leave and whatnot. 

8 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I think it's to everybody. Players know. Players know other players. Team to team. I guarantee some players on our team told him to come on you can beat him out. 

I know you are into basketball like me, there wouldn't be anybody coming in thinking they could beat flannigan out if they were wanting to transfer in. You see how the thought of competition can make guys leave and whatnot. 

See my follow-up comment for clarification of my meaning.

9 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

See my follow-up comment for clarification of my meaning.

If I read the right comment, I agree the coach isn't thinking Bo can't be good. To me he's saying what I saw the last few years isn't good enough and we are going to be better at the position as long as I'm here.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

18 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

SIAP, Jordy Culotta interviewed him today. Good listen.

Nice. He's been commited for a week!! 

1 hour ago, Randman5000 said:

Nice. He's been commited for a week!! 

And already worked a little with Tank and Kobe!  Love it. Very impressed with the man and his maturity.  Sounds like Auburn was first choice initially as well but wanted to stay close to home. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I don't know why you guys are assuming Dematrius transfers if Finley is #2 this season. Finley has starting experience in the SEC. Davis is fresh off an admittedly very impressive high school career. It kinda makes sense for DD to redshirt and Finley to act as the backup (presuming he doesn't beat out Bo to begin with, which is possible, but I don't see as likely), and then when Bo graduates, Finley, Davis, and Geriner compete for the starting position.

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I just don't see a kid who signed with Auburn in the early period, after we'd fired Malzahn and before we'd hired Harsin, as leaving before he gets a legitimate crack at the starting position, which he didn't really get in the spring because he was adjusting to college. If he doesn't win the job in 2023, then I could see him leaving pretty easily, but not this quickly.

This may be overly optimistic given the collegiate climate when it comes to dealing with playing time and the playing careers.

These guys know they can start anywhere and the transfer portal gives them a chance to go and do that in one year or less without wasting possibly crucial time they need to become proficient and get exposure. They're also probably keeping track of the QB Classes to time up possibly going to the draft.

NLI is also something else to factor in since if they go to a good "Market" they can make some extra money now. Its hard to figure there aren't some coaches putting feelers out, looking to leak some information out to DD that "___________ university" needs a good QB right now.

6 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I see. I agree. I want Bo to succeed mainly bc we all know he puts in the work, and loves being an Auburn legacy.

Now it's a matter, when crunch time comes in those games at Penn ST, w/ GA, etc.. does Bo show improvement in executing Harsin's offense, and are we more successful on offense bc of Bo? 

If he does... fantastic. If he doesn't now we have a more experienced backup that might help if not during the season then maybe for sure next year...

This is a hedge by the Harsin coaching staff as well as a step towards the future. 

They're telling Bo, he isn't doing good enough without telling him that he isn't doing good enough. They also need to have a QB in place that knows the system well enough so that they aren't relying on a true freshman that may not pan out, a transfer with a short window to learn and play, or a QB that's a holdover from the last guy's SPECIFIC system.

In this way, having Finley accomplishes all of those things and if he just so happens to make Bo elevate and be better, then no harm no foul. If he takes Bo's job, then they look like expert recruiters that "right the ship." And FINALLY, if he becomes a great Auburn player in the future, then they have simply set themselves up with a great culture and system building block.

Bo is on the chopping block, but he only gets cut if he doesn't perform or his just outright destroyed in a competition. I'm sure you guys can see that based on the ideation and rhetoric from the staff. They notice the mistakes, have worked with him, and are now trying something new to get him to fix those mistakes.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Zeek said:

God don't let Gus get and ruin that kid.

I say Davis to Liberty, Freeze could do great with him.  Dont want to lose him but not sure how he fits in with Harsin's offense.

19 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I don't know why you guys are assuming Dematrius transfers if Finley is #2 this season. Finley has starting experience in the SEC. Davis is fresh off an admittedly very impressive high school career. It kinda makes sense for DD to redshirt and Finley to act as the backup (presuming he doesn't beat out Bo to begin with, which is possible, but I don't see as likely), and then when Bo graduates, Finley, Davis, and Geriner compete for the starting position.

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I just don't see a kid who signed with Auburn in the early period, after we'd fired Malzahn and before we'd hired Harsin, as leaving before he gets a legitimate crack at the starting position, which he didn't really get in the spring because he was adjusting to college. If he doesn't win the job in 2023, then I could see him leaving pretty easily, but not this quickly.

I should have said that differently.

I'm not hopeful or even sure that DD transfers. I was just saying that the guy he committed to is gone (and some recent UCF transfers that didn't make any sense have happened) which points to a possible, logical destination for him given the climate today.

I would love for the guy to stay and play meaningful games at Auburn but the fact is Gus sold DD on being his QB, and that whole scenario has been turned on its head in 5 months time- new coach, new offense, new competition for the job.

Edited by WDE_OxPx_2010

26 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

I should have said that differently.

I'm not hopeful or even sure that DD transfers. I was just saying that the guy he committed to is gone (and some recent UCF transfers that didn't make any sense have happened) which points to a possible, logical destination for him given the climate today.

I would love for the guy to stay and play meaningful games at Auburn but the fact is Gus sold DD on being his QB, and that whole scenario has been turned on its head in 5 months time- new coach, new offense, new competition for the job.

He just tweeted the other day that staying at Auburn with CBH was the best decision of his life, so he, at least, thinks he’s at the right school/program for him.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, toddc said:

He just tweeted the other day that staying at Auburn with CBH was the best decision of his life, so he, at least, thinks he’s at the right school/program for him.

I saw that as well, and I'm hopeful that he continues to feel that way. We'll know more about that if the situation changes. 

8 hours ago, cole256 said:

The same way Gus knew to get rid of guys because he didn't want QB pressure, these coaches know what this brings. That's one. The fact that he chose to come he knows the coaches don't think there's some big gap between the two. 

This isn't some we know this is the guy and you have to wait your turn situation. Everybody knows that the QB position hasn't been played well. 

I know you are a Bo homer but like I said Bo is a QB that haven't been able to throw down field and he throws jump balls.....nobody, absolutely nobody is looking at that and thinking that can't be replaced. That's it. I bet Joey gatewood is wishing this coaching change happened a couple of years ago

I think we need an upgrade at QB and I hope Finley is it. Looks like a great arm and lots of upside. I think Bo is at his peak. All that said I don’t get the continued Joey Gatewood thing. He was not the starter in high school and since he has been at KY he has not won the starting job. A RS freshman is projecting to be the starter this year at KY but they are also looking for a transfer QB to come in. There is nothing in JG past or future to indicate he should have been the QB at Auburn. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

I think we need an upgrade at QB and I hope Finley is it. Looks like a great arm and lots of upside. I think Bo is at his peak. All that said I don’t get the continued Joey Gatewood thing. He was not the starter in high school and since he has been at KY he has not won the starting job. A RS freshman is projecting to be the starter this year at KY but they are also looking for a transfer QB to come in. There is nothing in JG past or future to indicate he should have been the QB at Auburn. 

There's nothing that says Bo should've either. You guys are hyped all about the performance and stuff my point is while he was here not being given an opportunity just like Willis. So that's why you are saying what you said at the start you hope you see an upgrade