Transfer QB TJ Finley

Zeek

8 minutes ago, metafour said:

Sure, but none of that implies that Gatewood himself is any good.

Yes because that’s exactly what the post was saying. He didn’t imply anything other than he wasn’t given a chance when the previous QB was playing horrible. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

Oh for sure he should have been, and its a shame that he wasn't. But, too often the conversation around Joey, other than what you've stated, which is absolutely the truth, romanticizes him beyond anything that we actually know about him. The only thing I know for certain is that he should have been given a shot, but that's about it. 

It's the definition of "romanticizing". He completed 48.6% of his (limited) passes last season for a whopping 3.1 average and a long of 12 yards. 0 TD's and 1 INT. He ran the ball 25 times for a 2.5 ypc average - with zero TD's. And yet there are people who talk as if he's Cam Newton with the football in his hands.

But he'd "win a lot of games" under Urban or Dan Mullen? LMAO.

He's probably not even going to be Kentucky's QB this year either. If you think Bo Nix has been overrated, Gatewood is basically Bo Nix on every steroid known to man.

Then you go back to his HS career wherein he wasn't even the full-time starter at QB on his own HS team. The lame excuse then was that his HS coach "likes to play multiple guys". First coach I've ever heard about who supposedly has an elite QB and yet chooses to substitute him out for a less talented option.

Gatewood has not done a single thing to shown that he is even an AVERAGE quarterback. It's insulting to Bo Nix to bring his name up in comparison.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yes because that’s exactly what the post was saying. He didn’t imply anything other than he wasn’t given a chance when the previous QB was playing horrible. 

He said that Urban Meyer and Dan Mullen would win a lot of games with Gatewood at QB. That by definition implies that he is "good". Gatewood wouldn't even get on the field - EVER - under those two coaches.

• Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Not sure about Gatewood winning it. 

They have a new OC, who is bringing a more sophisticated passing offense. He also got a Penn St QB transfer coming in, who he recruited out of HS, and is a pretty good passer.

It may not be the case, but when an OC brings in a transfer QB, it doesn't look good for the incumbents...and GAtewood still was very raw even at KY in the passing game...and didnt' have a good year at QB...

Their incoming QB from Penn State was pretty average.  PSU QBs were all pretty bad.  I really think that's a road game we have a chance to win and start some momentum 4-0.

15 minutes ago, metafour said:

There are still people on here who seem to be twisting and contorting themselves trying to make him out to be Cam Newton. He literally looks nothing like him.

I am not one of them. However, my post evidently made it sound that way, so mea culpa for being unclear I guess.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2021 at 6:54 PM, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Davis to UCF clock starts now...

I'd say Bo before Davis. If Finley wins job Bo gone.

2 minutes ago, metafour said:

He said that Urban Meyer and Dan Mullen would win a lot of games with Gatewood at QB. That by definition implies that he is "good". Gatewood wouldn't even get on the field - EVER - under those two coaches.

Apologies . I was only going off what you quoted initially . 

43 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I think that speaks to the quality of coaching more than anything else. It's going to be interesting to see if Gatewood is able to win the starting job at Kentucky this year. Gonna feel bad for the guy if he's passed up for a third time in as many years, and by as many coordinators, but at some point we are just going to have to accept that he isn't the QB prospect everyone hoped he would be. There are coaches out there that are going to win games with whoever they have, but I'm also doubtful that Gatewood would have been top of the depth chart on a Mullen or Meyer roster, either. 

That said, he's got a great chance at winning the job at Kentucky. Much is still unwritten. 

If Bo had went to Kentucky he'd be in the same predicament but he's here and he's a starter that we all hope may turn the light on. 

He may or may not end up being good but the whole he didn't play at Kentucky logic doesn't make sense to me

18 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Their incoming QB from Penn State was pretty average.  PSU QBs were all pretty bad.  I really think that's a road game we have a chance to win and start some momentum 4-0.

Totally wrong. He can chuck it, and is strong. But Franklin wanted him to run more bc their running game stunk. He didn't have bad numbers for the limited time he was called on. 

Don;t forget, that Bo doesn't play well on the road. If that doesn't improve under Harsin, Penn ST will be a loss. It's tough in Happy Valley, and Franklin will have them rebounding after the start of last year...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Totally wrong. He can chuck it, and is strong. But Franklin wanted him to run more bc their running game stunk. He didn't have bad numbers for the limited time he was called on. 

Don;t forget, that Bo doesn't play well on the road. If that doesn't improve under Harsin, Penn ST will be a loss. It's tough in Happy Valley, and Franklin will have them rebounding after the start of last year...

He's still had been a pretty average passer.

Yes, I agree Bo's past history on the road has been really bad.  I'm hopefully coaching/scheme can help aid that.  Their defense was kind of average, really bad in the redzone.  Hopefully our OL and Tank are up to the task.  Their RBs will be healthy and pretty good, but don't really have good QB play.

3 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

He's still had been a pretty average passer.

Yes, I agree Bo's past history on the road has been really bad.  I'm hopefully coaching/scheme can help aid that.  Their defense was kind of average, really bad in the redzone.  Hopefully our OL and Tank are up to the task.  Their RBs will be healthy and pretty good, but don't really have good QB play.

So you don't think their guys can improve?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

So you don't think their guys can improve?

Hopefully not as much as our guys can.  They do have a similar situation where they'll have better coaching than the last few years.  Their QB is also 2 years older than Bo and really hasn't been very impressive.  I'd just a guy finishing his RS Jr year more harshly than a guy finishing a Tr So year averagely.

Finely is also better than any QB on their roster and will be a nice back up plan if Bo doesn't progress as I hope.