Transfer QB TJ Finley

Zeek

21 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Perfect world sure, but I don't think he cares tbqh.  I'm pretty sure Rypien was a 4 year started and played a true freshman last year.  He'll play best guy.  We'll see who that is.

I'm not sure I agree with a lot of posters that Finley is coming in and it is an obvious sign of what they think of Bo.  Loy is awful.  DD is a TrFr.  I see Finely as 1) needed back-up plan that has SEC experience if Bo gets hurt.  2) a really talented player that has SEC experience and could play if Bo struggles.  3) A big talented kid that can be an extremely good starter with some more development.

He makes us better.  Even if he isn't the starter we're better off with him.

can Tom Brady bet out Nix?

21 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Perfect world sure, but I don't think he cares tbqh.  I'm pretty sure Rypien was a 4 year started and played a true freshman last year.  He'll play best guy.  We'll see who that is.

I'm not sure I agree with a lot of posters that Finley is coming in and it is an obvious sign of what they think of Bo.  Loy is awful.  DD is a TrFr.  I see Finely as 1) needed back-up plan that has SEC experience if Bo gets hurt.  2) a really talented player that has SEC experience and could play if Bo struggles.  3) A big talented kid that can be an extremely good starter with some more development.

He makes us better.  Even if he isn't the starter we're better off with him.

Can Tom Brady beat out nix?

11 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

Can Tom Brady beat out nix?

No 

3 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

thanks for your honesty

I just made my answer as equally as dumb as the question.

hth

• Like 1

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I just made my answer as equally as dumb as the question.

hth

it's a fair question!?!? you sniff this kid jock strap as if he is a two time national championship quarterback and a Heisman trophy winner with a stature outside of Jordan hare.

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

There's nothing that says Bo should've either. You guys are hyped all about the performance and stuff my point is while he was here not being given an opportunity just like Willis. So that's why you are saying what you said at the start you hope you see an upgrade

Bo actually was the starting QB multiple years in HS. According to the previous coaching staff, he was the better QB and therefore was/is the starter. So yes there are some things that makes BN background different than JG. I just think that JG is not a QB. I think you saw it with his high school team and you are seeing it now at KY. I think the AU coaches saw that also. Willis is a different case than JG. Willis deserved more opportunities than he got.  Also who are "you guys"? I think BN performance has been very average to terrible in some games hence the need for an upgrade at that position.

1 hour ago, eaglenest said:

it's a fair question!?!? you sniff this kid jock strap as if he is a two time national championship quarterback and a Heisman trophy winner with a stature outside of Jordan hare.

Lmao.  This is stupid.  I think Bo can still improve.  I've been critical of him and pointed out specifically what he needs to improve on or he isn't going to be the start for long or at all.

But do you player,

1 hour ago, 80Tiger said:

Bo actually was the starting QB multiple years in HS. According to the previous coaching staff, he was the better QB and therefore was/is the starter. So yes there are some things that makes BN background different than JG. I just think that JG is not a QB. I think you saw it with his high school team and you are seeing it now at KY. I think the AU coaches saw that also. Willis is a different case than JG. Willis deserved more opportunities than he got.  Also who are "you guys"? I think BN performance has been very average to terrible in some games hence the need for an upgrade at that position.

Ok. I accept you think what you think to me saying one guy started at an entire different school doesn't make any sense. There's no point to that. One guy had a guy on his team that was good enough to play college another guy didn't. Ok

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Ok. I accept you think what you think to me saying one guy started at an entire different school doesn't make any sense. There's no point to that. One guy had a guy on his team that was good enough to play college another guy didn't. Ok

Your ambidextrous Cole. You can debate with either hand!!

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

That guy now plays TE at Boise State.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mb711 said:

That guy now plays TE at Boise State.

The guy behind Bo didn't play anywhere at all

2 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Your ambidextrous Cole. You can debate with either hand!!

Some debates doesn't require concentration or thought.....

• Like 1

Not going to bother reading 20 pages of posts but I’m sure it’s been said...if it makes Bo actually have to work to win the starting job, it’s a great thing.

On 5/25/2021 at 8:01 PM, AubieinNC2009 said:

I say Davis to Liberty, Freeze could do great with him.  Dont want to lose him but not sure how he fits in with Harsin's offense.

Hate to agree on this....but I do. I loved the guys high school film.  

21 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

The reason that people continue about JG is because what could have been. I'm not a fan of Gus' offense but I will admit that it worked when it had the pieces it needed. When we saw JG in limited time, the offense seemed completely different. Like a car that used to generate 200HP at 6000 RPMs was now generating 305HP at 6000RPMs.

I still lament never seeing a Joiner-Gatewood backfield with our WR talent last year. JG is a good QB if you put him in a system that plays to what he does best and still allow him to build credibility in the passing game. Gus never did that which made people wonder what could have been with all the conflicting reports they'd hear coming out of the competition and the coachspeak of Gus.

That being said, last year, Kentucky was anemic with their weapon selection other than their RB. This year will be the year that probably silences a lot of the JG talk or amplifies it. But you can't deny, going from a QB room full of starting QB talent to just Bo Nix and then having Bo struggle for years really wasn't a healthy experience for the team.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

The reason that people continue about JG is because what could have been. I'm not a fan of Gus' offense but I will admit that it worked when it had the pieces it needed. When we saw JG in limited time, the offense seemed completely different. Like a car that used to generate 200HP at 6000 RPMs was now generating 305HP at 6000RPMs.

I still lament never seeing a Joiner-Gatewood backfield with our WR talent last year. JG is a good QB if you put him in a system that plays to what he does best and still allow him to build credibility in the passing game. Gus never did that which made people wonder what could have been with all the conflicting reports they'd hear coming out of the competition and the coachspeak of Gus.

That being said, last year, Kentucky was anemic with their weapon selection other than their RB. This year will be the year that probably silences a lot of the JG talk or amplifies it. But you can't deny, going from a QB room full of starting QB talent to just Bo Nix and then having Bo struggle for years really wasn't a healthy experience for the team.

I think your first sentence is what I agree with.  I don't know why Gus thinks he can ever have an elite offense without a running QB.  His best offenses were with Dmac in the wildcat, Cam, Nick 2x (defense was horrendous in '14 and really cost us a lot).  Then they were mostly OK with any other QB when Gus tried to go with a non-running QB.

The threat of a running QB did so much for Gus and you see most the rest of college football starting to utilize it.  But Gus decided he needed to go in the opposite direction and got worse.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

I think your first sentence is what I agree with.  I don't know why Gus thinks he can ever have an elite offense without a running QB.  His best offenses were with Dmac in the wildcat, Cam, Nick 2x (defense was horrendous in '14 and really cost us a lot).  Then they were mostly OK with any other QB when Gus tried to go with a non-running QB.

The threat of a running QB did so much for Gus and you see most the rest of college football starting to utilize it.  But Gus decided he needed to go in the opposite direction and got worse.

To me it wasn't which type of QB would work best. When he did have a running QB we had a dominating OL, when he wanted to transition to more of a balanced approach, his OL was pathetic. While we can tell his concepts and play calls were bad, we don't know how effective they could've been if the OL had been consistently up to SEC levels.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

JG is a good QB if you put him in a system that plays to what he does best and still allow him to build credibility in the passing game.

I have every confidence that Urban Meyer or Dan Mullen would've won a lot of games with him at QB. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I have every confidence that Urban Meyer or Dan Mullen would've won a lot of games with him at QB. 

I think that speaks to the quality of coaching more than anything else. It's going to be interesting to see if Gatewood is able to win the starting job at Kentucky this year. Gonna feel bad for the guy if he's passed up for a third time in as many years, and by as many coordinators, but at some point we are just going to have to accept that he isn't the QB prospect everyone hoped he would be. There are coaches out there that are going to win games with whoever they have, but I'm also doubtful that Gatewood would have been top of the depth chart on a Mullen or Meyer roster, either. 

That said, he's got a great chance at winning the job at Kentucky. Much is still unwritten. 

Edited by Barnacle

5 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I think that speaks to the quality of coaching more than anything else. It's going to be interesting to see if Gatewood is able to win the starting job at Kentucky this year. Gonna feel bad for the guy if he's passed up for a third time in as many years, and by as many coordinators, but at some point we are just going to have to accept that he isn't the QB prospect everyone hoped he would be. There are coaches out there that are going to win games with whoever they have, but I'm also doubtful that Gatewood would have been top of the depth chart on a Mullen or Meyer roster, either. 

That said, he's got a great chance at winning the job at Kentucky. Much is still unwritten. 

So I agree with all of this. And yes, the discussion is ultimately about coaching. Or at least my participation in it is. 

My thing is just that, here, he played behind somebody who clearly wasn't getting it done. He wasn't given a chance. And the failure that he watched from the sideline was so abject that he definitely, necessarily should've been given that chance. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

My thing is just that, here, he played behind somebody who clearly wasn't getting it done. He wasn't given a chance. And the failure that he watched from the sideline was so abject that he definitely, necessarily should've been given that chance. 

Sure, but none of that implies that Gatewood himself is any good. I hope the kid succeeds, but can we stop trying to make him a "thing"? The Gatewood hype is even worse than the people who still think Bo Nix is a star QB. Gatwood didn't even look like a good RUNNER last season, of top of looking considerably worse than Nix as a passer. Bo Nix is actually a better runner IMO.

There are still people on here who seem to be twisting and contorting themselves trying to make him out to be Cam Newton. He literally looks nothing like him.

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

So I agree with all of this. And yes, the discussion is ultimately about coaching. Or at least my participation in it is. 

Oh for sure he should have been, and its a shame that he wasn't. But, too often the conversation around Joey, other than what you've stated, which is absolutely the truth, romanticizes him beyond anything that we actually know about him. The only thing I know for certain is that he should have been given a shot, but that's about it. 

2 minutes ago, metafour said:

Sure, but none of that implies that Gatewood himself is any good. I hope the kid succeeds, but can we stop trying to make him a "thing"? The Gatewood hype is even worse than the people who still think Bo Nix is a star QB. Gatwood didn't even look like a good RUNNER last season, of top of looking considerably worse than Nix as a passer. Bo Nix is actually a better runner IMO.

There are still people on here who seem to be twisting and contorting themselves trying to make him out to be Cam Newton. He literally looks nothing like him.

Joey definitely isn't the runner I thought he would be coming out of high school. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Not sure about Gatewood winning it. 

They have a new OC, who is bringing a more sophisticated passing offense. He also got a Penn St QB transfer coming in, who he recruited out of HS, and is a pretty good passer.

It may not be the case, but when an OC brings in a transfer QB, it doesn't look good for the incumbents...and GAtewood still was very raw even at KY in the passing game...and didnt' have a good year at QB...

Edited by steeleagle
  • Like 1