June 1st - 6th Visitors Thread

Zeek

Weirdly quiet day so far. 

• Like 1

Top 100 defensive back gets a 'different perspective' of Auburn on visit

by Jason Caldwell

2 minutes ago

A Top 100 player nationally in the 2023 recruiting class, Munford’s Sylvester Smith was already very familiar with Auburn prior to his visit on Friday, but spending time with Coach Bryan Harsin, defensive coordinator Derek Mason and the rest of the staff was an eye-opening experience for the No. 92 junior in the country.

“I took my first visit yesterday to Georgia Tech and was in Auburn today,” Smith said. “It went very good. Looking at Auburn a year ago, at least from the outside, coming in today and seeing the facilities and everything else gave me a totally different perspective of Auburn as a team, facilities and as a coaching staff.”

Getting to sit down with the staff and talk life, football and learn more about them, Smith said Auburn’s new defensive coordinator was one of the guys that really made an impression on him.

“He’s a good coach and obviously knows what he’s talking about on the defensive side of the ball,” Smith said. “The way he’s starting to run things really stood out to me.

“I know when it comes down to it and I come down to picking a school I know Coach Mason has been there and done that and put guys in the league. That’s definitely something I’ll look at before I pick any school.”

The only unofficial visitor on campus Friday morning, Smith got a chance to have some undivided attention from the defensive staff and learn more about the scheme the Tigers will be running. That was an important part of the trip for him.

“I talked to everybody,” Smith said. “I had study time with the defensive staff. I talked to Coach Harsin and everybody. It made me realize they had a plan for how they were going to use me and planning to have me on their defensive side of the ball.”

Smith is another in a long line of kids in Alabama that Auburn has targeted early and made an emphasis. Already with commitments from Auburn’s Powell Gordon and Opelika’s Jarell Stinson and recruiting a number of others in the 2022 and 2023 classes, Auburn’s willingness to come hard after him is a big deal for Smith.

“It means a lot,” he said. “I’ll go anywhere to play college football that gives me the best chance and best opportunity for me and my family but to see them recruit in-state means a lot to me. It shows me they are really looking at kids around them. It means a lot to me and other kids also.”

Already with close to two dozen offers and with plans to visit Alabama (next week) and Michigan (June 18-20) in the coming weeks, Smith said the visit to Auburn definitely helped the Tigers.

• Like 2

I think because the visits are two days we haven't heard much about how they're going. Should know more by the end of the day tomorrow. I'm working my summer job so I'll be out. 

• Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

10 hours ago, Zeek said:

I think because the visits are two days we haven't heard much about how they're going. Should know more by the end of the day tomorrow. I'm working my summer job so I'll be out. 

I'm sorry, you didn't get your time off request approved so we're going to need you to go ahead and work through the weekend as well.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I'm sorry, you didn't get your time off request approved so we're going to need you to go ahead and work through the weekend as well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

18 hours ago, Paladin said:

went very good. Looking at Auburn a year ago, at least from the outside, coming in today and seeing the facilities and everything else gave me a totally different perspective of Auburn as a team, facilities and as a coaching staff.”

We've gotten an extremely low amount of buzz from a new coaching staff mainly due to covid. 

It looks like things are hopefully picking up. They are really going after 23 kids hard, I hope that pays off. 

This has been a really good week for auburn and a lot of highly thought of kids saying good things about campus, the staff and facilities. I hope this moment keeps building and we can get some commits before the season starts 

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

Haha damn,

I'm gonna need some Crown & Coke to work both 

• Like 3

Yeah apparently reporters can't talk to them about OVs until they're done. So we'll see more tomorrow according to KN.

• Like 1

AU leads for Louisiana DT

Jeffrey Lee • AuburnSports

Senior Editor

@JLeeAURivals

Auburn is the new leader for Maxie Baudoin IV.

Baudoin, a defensive tackle from Ascension Episcopal in Youngsville, La., named Auburn his top school following an official visit.

“Auburn is definitely at the top,” Baudoin said. “Just the place. I love Auburn, I like the city. Great campus.”

Baudoin and his family arrived in Auburn on Friday and stayed until Sunday. They toured the campus, dorms, facilities and met with the coaches.

“Everything went good,” Baudoin said. “I liked it a lot. I liked the family environment and everyone was welcoming and close.

That includes Auburn defensive line coach Nick Eason, who met extensively with Baudoin throughout the visit.

“I like coach Eason a lot,” Baudoin said. “I like his personality. He’s a great coach and coached a lot of great NFL guys, too.

“He told me they could use me in multiple different positions if I come over here and do different things. I think I could be very successful here if I put in the hard work.”

Baudoin is considering it. He plans to make a commitment before the start of his senior season. Georgia, Florida and Texas A&M are the other top schools on his list.

• Love 1

2023 OL

3-star DL

I know this was already posted but we need this kicker

This one seems to be trending in the right direction

A little disappointed and annoyed here that an Opelika kid who is only a 3* OT is being given an "offer" from Bama that Saban told him isn't committable because he needs to watch his film... like Saban hasn't seen his film. Dude is falling into Bama's usual "keep them on a rope" strategy and it feels like a spite move to me... kids talking about it's a dream and some other stuff. Just gotta sigh when they can't see through the BS.

• Like 1

by Jason Caldwell
29 minutes ago

There is no question that offensive tackle is one of the key areas on the recruiting front for the Auburn Tigers in the 2022 class and one of the top targets on the board was on campus over the weekend for an official visit. At 6-8, 340, Jacob Hood from Hillsboro High in Nashville, Tennessee is a mountain of a football prospect as he heads into his senior season.

Spending time with Coach Bryan Harsin and Auburn offensive line coach Will Friend, Hood said Auburn is a place he definitely plans to see again in the fall and he leaves his official visit with the Tigers very high on his list of schools.

“Auburn's always been in my top list, and I say this definitely pushes them to the top three of my top list,” Hood said. “I'm definitely going to come back, take an unofficial during the season and see how they play on game day, see how the environment is, see how the fans interact with the players.”

After spending time talking with the Auburn coaches on Zoom and by phone, Hood said it was great to be able to be on campus to see everything in person and get to know the staff. For him it was the biggest part of the trip.

“I think the visit went amazing,” Hood said. “I really enjoyed what I saw. Being able to talk to coach Harsin was very impressive. He really, what he said stood out to me. And talking to coach Will, that stood out to me, too. So being able to have a connection, build a connection with them two was amazing.

“Having the talk with the coaches most definitely had an impression on me. What they said to me, they really didn't sugarcoat. They really told me what it was face-to-face. They really didn't hide their true selves from me. They showed me how they would be if I came here for the next four years, and I really appreciate that.”

With a huge need area at tackle, Hood said that’s something that Auburn has going in its favor because he would potentially have the chance to play very early. It won’t be a given however, something that Friend told him on his visit.

“They showed me how they would get me to be a first-round pick, and that's what I want to be. I would come into the draft -- coach Will Friend told me that it's not going to be easy,” Hood said. “It's going to be hard. You're going to have challenges, ups and downs, but it's about going where you want to go. Go where you feel is going to be home for the next four years. Don't go for the coaches, because coaches change every year. He said go where you feel at home, man, and I think Auburn could definitely be one of the places I feel at home.”

With no plans to make an early decision, Hood said he’s searching for a home and somewhere he can develop to work towards his goal of playing in the NFL.

“Definitely somewhere that my family can see me be successful,” he said of what he’s looking for in a school. “Definitely somewhere I see myself being successful at. Definitely somewhere I can see myself being a first-round draft pick. And that's really the most important thing so I can be successful in the long run, too.”

• Like 1