Edited by Zeek
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Paladin said:

Rivals250 CB from Arizona visits Auburn, plans official visit

Jeffrey Lee • AuburnSports

Senior Editor

@JLeeAURivals

Rivals250 cornerback Benjamin Morrison visited Auburn on Thursday. The four-star recruit already plans to return.

“It was awesome. I didn’t expect it,” Morrison said. “I want to come to the SEC after this. I’ll definitely take an official visit. I’ll come back in the fall.”

Benjamin Morrison is from Arizona, but now plans to play in the SEC. (Christian Clemente/AuburnSports.com)

Morrison, from Phoenix, Ariz., toured the campus and facilities and met extensively with coach Bryan Harsin, defensive coordinator Derek Mason and cornerbacks coach Zac Etheridge.

“I talked to the head coach for a long time,” Morrison said. “He’s a personal guy with a vision. I believe in everything he’s doing here. And Coach Etheridge, I love him. He’s a very, very personal guy. The first time I met him I was like this dude, I see him more as a family member.”

Morrison already was familiar with Mason.

“My dad grew up with him in the teenage years, so they’ve known each other for a long time, Morrison said. “It makes me comfortable. My dad trusts him and I trust my dad.”

Morrison on Wednesday visited Alabama. After seeing the two SEC schools, Morrison is convinced he’ll likely play in the SEC.

“After visiting Bama yesterday and after seeing the two schools (Auburn and Alabama), I feel like I want to play in the SEC,” Morrison said. “I see myself playing in the SEC.”

Morrison already has three official visits set to non-SEC schools: Notre Dame (June 11-13), Oregon (June 18-20) and Washington (June 25-27). But he plans to be back in the South in the fall.

Rivals ranks Morrison No. 249 in the Rivals250, No. 3 overall recruit in Arizona and No. 27 cornerback in the 2022 class.

Apparently playing in the SEC is important and it'll likely become a Bama-Auburn battle.

Was hoping we'd offer today. Kids a stud.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Apparently playing in the SEC is important and it'll likely become a Bama-Auburn battle.

Hopefully the Mason/Dad connection will make the difference.

• Like 2

Just now, Hank2020 said:

Hopefully the Mason/Dad connection will make the difference.

I think it will. The Bama checks & chargers strategy is tough to beat though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

I think it will. The Bama checks & chargers strategy is tough to beat though.

Has been in the past for sure.

Just now, Paladin said:

Was hoping to hear more positive feedback here but still good news. 

by Jason Caldwell

One of the nation’s top cornerback prospects for the 2023 class, 4-star Caleb Presley from Eastside Catholic in Sammamish, Washington was on the Auburn campus Thursday along with several players from the State of Washington to check out the Tigers as part of a swing through the Southeast. Already at Alabama and heading to Georgia next, Presley said his first look at life on the Plains was a very good one.

“It was good,” Presley said. “I got to see the campus. I got to see a whole lot of the school and check out the facility a little bit. I enjoyed my time.

“What really intrigued me about Auburn was getting to come and see some of the coaches in person and some of the changes they made to the roster. I think this year is going to be a good year for them. I also got to talk to some of the coaches and learned a lot from them. That was probably the most interesting part of the visit.”

With Coach Bryan Harsin coming from Boise State along with linebacker coach Jeff Schmedding and tight ends coach Brad Bedell, Bert Watts from Fresno State and Derek Mason having a background at Stanford, Auburn has some strong ties to the West Coast. Presley said that definitely had an impact on him.

“It had some influence on the visit,” Presley said. “Getting some guys that are familiar with the West Coast helped open the doors a little bit. They’re familiar with our talent up here. I think it’s good that we have that connection.”

With recruiting visits shut down for the last 15 months it has kept prospects from being able to get out and see schools, but that’s now a thing of the past. Taking the tour of some of the schools in the SEC with Clemson at the end, he said it’s a fun time to experience something new.

“It’s incredible,” he said. “A lot of kids in Washington don’t get this opportunity to come down here and see the SEC. It’s big. It’s time to put Washington on the map and have Seattle as something they recognize and know we produce talent and produce guys.”

While he’s still a long way from making a decision with still a couple of years left in high school, Presley said Thursday’s visit showed him that Auburn is a school to be reckoned with for him.

“Most definitely,” he said of wanting to come back for another visit. “I think I’ll be coming back to check out some games. I got to see some of the facilities and how many fans they hold, like 90,000. That’s a lot of people and it’s something I would love to experience.”

In addition to this week’s visits, Presley said he’s scheduled to visit Texas next week.

22 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Was hoping to hear more positive feedback here but still good news. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Right. I guess the question is, are we competing with the Oregons and FSUs of the world for 247 class ranking supremacy, or are we trying to stay on the field with our rivals? I have no doubt we can do the former in the short term, but that uphill battle will be required to achieve the latter.

Not immediately, IMHO. If we get high threes and mid to high 4* athletes AND develope them to the point that they are better than when they signed, we will be alright. Then we can recruit on a decent footing with our rivals. But Gus landed "stars" if that's all one cares about. They are very important, but team needs and development of the players you get and have are just as important, and totally lacking in the last few years. Just my opinion as a long time fan. 

Little thing but important to me. It seems like a lot more kids are getting it right: Auburn University, not the University of Auburn. Branding and recall matter and it seems like our new support staff is doing a better job with details when it comes to recruiting. 

• Like 3

No. 13 overall prospect has ‘amazing’ visit to Auburn

Bryan Matthews • AuburnSports

Senior Editor

Jayden Wayne is taking a little mini tour of the South and Thursday’s stop was in Auburn.

It was one the standout defensive end/outside linebacker from Lincoln High School in Tacoma, Wash., won’t soon forget.

“It was amazing,” said Wayne, the nation’s No. 13 overall player in the 2023 class. “Good experience. There was good energy there. Like the coaches. They taught me a lot. The uniforms are nice.”

Wayne is touring four of the top football programs in the Southeast this week. (Bryan Matthews/AuburnSports.com)

Auburn is in a unique recruiting position with Wayne in that a good portion of its new staff followed Bryan Harsin from Boise State or the West coast including outside linebacker coach Bert Watts, who played at California and coached at UC Davis and Fresno State.

“He was good,” said Wayne of Watts. “He was telling me the truth. He was talking about how he wants me as an outside linebacker and edge rusher.”

Wayne is already planning a trip back to Auburn for this fall.

“I already know I want to come back, see a game vs. Alabama,” he said.

Wayne, 6-foot-6 and 245 pounds, visited Washington Tuesday, Alabama Wednesday, Auburn Thursday, and plans finish up his trip with stops at Georgia and Clemson.

The opportunity to play in the SEC is especially appealing to Wayne.

“You're going against the best. The best of the best,” he said. “That's important. You know, it gets you to the NFL.”

Wayne, who already has 26 offers, plans to take his time making a decision.

“It's a blessing,” said Wayne of the early offers. “Still gotta keep working and stay humble.”

• Like 3

Screenshot_20210603-212748_Chrome.thumb.jpg.28fc42dfeede4a917679e07621e95fa6.jpg

Tomorrow's official visits

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/2/2021 at 8:28 PM, bigbird said:

FWIW, Odessa Permian is where Friday Night Lights was based off of.

Just give Boobie the ball. 

• Love 1

On 6/2/2021 at 7:28 PM, bigbird said:

FWIW, Odessa Permian is where Friday Night Lights was based off of.

That is one great book for those that haven’t read it....

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Screenshot_20210603-212748_Chrome.thumb.jpg.28fc42dfeede4a917679e07621e95fa6.jpg

Tomorrow's official visits

Just sign all of these guys in the end and I think we’re off to a good start with this staff...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Little thing but important to me. It seems like a lot more kids are getting it right: Auburn University, not the University of Auburn. Branding and recall matter and it seems like our new support staff is doing a better job with details when it comes to recruiting. 

I tend to roll my eyes when people make the same University of Auburn jokes that we've been making for 15 years, but you make a very good point here. Either we're running a tight ship or we're not. We've seen where the "not" option gets us. And running a tight ship and still being the "family" program are not mutually exclusive. We can be both. 

• Like 1