June 1st - 6th Visitors Thread

Zeek

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Another day of fun!

This 1st week/month is just crushing the notion that Harsin would be mainly recruiting/going after 3* kids b/c they are the ones that would buy into his system.  I don't think many folks here spouted it, but a bunch of insiders were trying to spin it that way. 

His 1st press conference he stated the importance of recruiting.  He's gonna take his shot at the best.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

link

2022 offensive tackle on Auburn visit: 'I loved it'

Already with close to three dozen offers, 2022 offensive tackle Eston Harris Jr. has had the Auburn Tigers as one of his top schools since he got an offer from the program last October. A powerful two-way player that is expected to play offense on the next level, Harris finally got his first opportunity to sit down with Bryan Harsin and the new staff on Tuesday and he came away impressed by what he saw and heard.

“The biggest part was just meeting everybody and seeing everything in person,” Harris said of the visit. “You know that feeling you have in person, it’s very different from being on the phone. Everything is just so much better in person.

“It was great,” he added. “I loved it. It’s what I’ve been waiting for. What I’d seen, I expected it. I loved it.”

Getting the chance to sit down with Auburn offensive line coach Will Friend to talk face-to-face, Harris said the message was a simple one; that the Tigers can get him where he wants to go and also he could be a leader for the recruiting class.

10408564.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Eston Harris Jr. was on the Auburn campus Tuesday for a visit. (Photo: Jason Caldwell/Inside The Auburn Tigers, 247Sports)

Something else that stuck out to Harris was the opportunity to potentially play early at Auburn. With a huge need at offensive tackle, Auburn is making Harris a priority.

“We were looking at the practice film and we were seeing some of those guys, they were guards but they were at tackle,” Harris said. “He wasn’t saying I was just going to start but he said they need tackles.

“It’s something to think about. It’s very important to think about coming in and playing early.”

Saying that Auburn will likely be in his top group when the time comes to narrow things down, Harris will visit Georgia on Thursday and Alabama on Saturday before going to Florida State next week.

9COMMENTS

As for what he’s looking for in his future home?

“I’m looking can I live here the next four years,” he asked. “Can I learn here? Could I be around the people? Could I play here? Get my education. Become a great man. Get the best version of Eston Harris out of me.”

51 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Is it just me, or does the kid look like he's about 30? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

crushing the notion that Harsin would be mainly recruiting/going after 3* kids b/c they are the ones that would buy into his system. 

@W.E.D That wasn't said nor implied, not by me or anyone who agreed with me anyway. What was said was given the big relational disadvantages we have for most of the more sought after recruits it will be tougher than normal to land them for a year or 2. Even Keith said the other day he doesn't expect AU to do much better than around Top 15 in the next 2 classes due to those factors.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@W.E.D That wasn't said nor implied, not by me or anyone who agreed with me anyway. What was said was given the big relational disadvantages we have for most of the more sought after recruits it will be tougher than normal to land them for a year or 2. Even Keith said the other day he doesn't expect AU to do much better than around Top 15 in the next 2 classes due to those factors.

I never said you said that.  I specifically said "I don't think many folks here spouted it, but a bunch of insiders were trying to spin it that way. "

43 minutes ago, ellitor said:

If this staff develops those top 15 classes I will be pretty happy with that.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not a whole lot of tweets today but sounds like some good visits and Bobo has another QB throwing for him this morning. Seems like an additional 2022 QB is a priority despite adding Finley. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

4* DT Khurtiss Perry's whole family showed up in Auburn gear FWIW

If if was Under Armour gear I'd say they were all in. That would be quite an investment for a family. :)

• Haha 2

Woody enjoys first visit with Harsin's staff at Auburn

by Jason Caldwell

25 minutes ago

A top prospect in Alabama for the 2022 class that is being recruited on both offense and defense by schools such as Auburn, Florida State, Georgia and others, big Antavious Woody was finally able to get on campus to check out the Tigers on Tuesday. Spending time with Bryan Harsin and assistants on both sides of the ball, he said the short drive from Lafayette was definitely worth it.

“It was very good,” Woody said. “Me and the coaches have a good relationship. They are treating me like I’m already one of them. When the time rolls around maybe I will be one of them. They have a good staff and the environment is good. They just want the best person you can be. That’s what I love about Auburn.”

Another in a long line of local prospects that have been a priority since Harsin and company arrived at Auburn, Woody said that’s a bit deal for him because it shows they are serious about keeping the homegrown talent at Auburn.

“Keep all the best players in Alabama,” Woody said. “That’s what they’re trying to do.”

Woody has been on Auburn’s board since his freshman season at Lafayette when he was a standout in football and basketball for the Bulldogs. Getting some love from Kodi Burns back then, Woody said the current staff has picked it up even more since they’ve been on campus.

“Auburn is like home to me,” he said. “I came my ninth grade year and they’ve been on me since then. Everything is just falling into place with them. Everything is still the same. They’ve had their ups and downs but everybody is still just one.”

Being recruited by Auburn to play either side of the ball if he chooses the Tigers, Woody said that’s important to him because his only goal is to get on the field as quickly as possible.

Planning a visit to Florida State on Saturday, Woody said at the moment that’s the only trip he’s set up to check out some of his favorites. With Georgia and Texas A&M two of the other schools that stand out, the physical lineman said he’s still working on his official visits but knows Auburn will be one of his when the time comes.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Paladin said:

One of my biggest "wants"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Is it just me, or does the kid look like he's about 30? 

He definitely looks older than the average 17-19 year old HS recruit, but he is no Monty.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Zeek said:

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Auburn-football-recruiting-165998601/

ByJASON CALDWELL

A 4-star prospect and ranked as the No. 71 player nationally by the 247Sports Composite rankings, offensive lineman Harris Sewell from Permian High in Odessa, Texas made his first-ever visit to a college campus on Tuesday when he traveled to Auburn to check out Bryan Harsin and the Tigers.

Spending time with the coaches, checking out the facilities and getting to know everything and everyone at Auburn, Sewell said he and his family really enjoyed their first look at the Tigers.

“It was awesome,” Sewell said. “It was awesome getting to see everything. I haven’t ever been in a football facility like this.

“All the people were super nice and just the atmosphere here was pretty crazy.”

Planning to be in the state for a trip to Alabama in addition to checking out Auburn, Sewell had to cancel the trip to Tuscaloosa but still wanted to see Auburn. He said he’s glad he did.

“Well I was supposed to come to Alabama this week but then I had to cancel,” Sewell said. “So we just ended up just coming because we already planned it and I wanted to see the campus and stuff.

“Really just the people,” he added of what stood out to him about Auburn. “They were just so nice and welcoming and it was amazing.”

With the message from Auburn about preparing him for the NFL and the new offensive system, Sewell said he also heard about the need for offensive linemen in the coming seasons. That’s something that is a big deal for him.

“I think it is,” Sewell said. “I really want to play as much as I can. Play as much and get to the next level.”

Currently with around 20 offers, Harris has several more visits scheduled during the month of June as he begins to try to narrow things down towards a possible decision. Going to SMU (where his parents went to school), TCU, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma and Texas, Sewell said he’s just taking things slowly while trying to figure out what he likes and doesn’t like about his schools.

With plans to return to Auburn this fall for an official visit, Harris said it’s the people that have put the Tigers squarely on the map for him following his first visit.

“It’s a small town, kind of like where I’m from,” he said. “The people are kind of like me.”

Is this young man a relative of Roy Sewell, a Auburn supporter in the 60's and 70"s and the athletic dorm named after??? Also the man behind 'War Eagle" fight song....

22 hours ago, Zeek said:

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Auburn-football-recruiting-165998601/

ByJASON CALDWELL

A 4-star prospect and ranked as the No. 71 player nationally by the 247Sports Composite rankings, offensive lineman Harris Sewell from Permian High in Odessa, Texas made his first-ever visit to a college campus on Tuesday when he traveled to Auburn to check out Bryan Harsin and the Tigers.

Spending time with the coaches, checking out the facilities and getting to know everything and everyone at Auburn, Sewell said he and his family really enjoyed their first look at the Tigers.

“It was awesome,” Sewell said. “It was awesome getting to see everything. I haven’t ever been in a football facility like this.

“All the people were super nice and just the atmosphere here was pretty crazy.”

Planning to be in the state for a trip to Alabama in addition to checking out Auburn, Sewell had to cancel the trip to Tuscaloosa but still wanted to see Auburn. He said he’s glad he did.

“Well I was supposed to come to Alabama this week but then I had to cancel,” Sewell said. “So we just ended up just coming because we already planned it and I wanted to see the campus and stuff.

“Really just the people,” he added of what stood out to him about Auburn. “They were just so nice and welcoming and it was amazing.”

With the message from Auburn about preparing him for the NFL and the new offensive system, Sewell said he also heard about the need for offensive linemen in the coming seasons. That’s something that is a big deal for him.

“I think it is,” Sewell said. “I really want to play as much as I can. Play as much and get to the next level.”

Currently with around 20 offers, Harris has several more visits scheduled during the month of June as he begins to try to narrow things down towards a possible decision. Going to SMU (where his parents went to school), TCU, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma and Texas, Sewell said he’s just taking things slowly while trying to figure out what he likes and doesn’t like about his schools.

With plans to return to Auburn this fall for an official visit, Harris said it’s the people that have put the Tigers squarely on the map for him following his first visit.

“It’s a small town, kind of like where I’m from,” he said. “The people are kind of like me.”

FWIW, Odessa Permian is where Friday Night Lights was based off of.

• Like 3