June 1st - 6th Visitors Thread

Zeek

I like to see all of those linemen in this group. Hardin really does seem to be focusing on the state of Alabama. It will be interesting to see how he manages to compete against Saban on the big name prospects.

• Like 2

Lots of VIP info from Keith I'm not going to spoil here (both based on our rules and respect for them).

I'll just say that I'm starting to feel really impressed with the early work by our staff. As we've stated numerous times 2022 (and even 2023 to some extent) are uphill battles but we're not shying away.

It's cool to hear about all these individual and private workouts the staff are holding. Plus we're taking some real shots at 5* dudes that were behind on...

Eason, Mason, Friend, Bobo, and Harsin have all gotten positive feedback from recruits so far.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

@Zeek, you are killing it, doing yeoman’s work with the recruiting info (especially with a new little one)! WDE to you!

Edited by fredst
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/1/2021 at 4:55 PM, Win4AU said:

Wonder how many of these 3*s turn into 4*s?  

Of course once they commit to us, 4*s often oddly become 3*s, at least on Rivals.😉

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fredst said:

@Zeek, you are killing it, doing yeoman’s work with the recruiting info (especially with a new little one)! WDE to you!

Eh, I feel like @Zeek could do a little better.  I mean, he did say he knows VIP information and refuses to tell us.  He is holding out on us.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The kids from out west are coming today and it’s awesome we’ve got coaches who already knew about these guys.

• Like 2

Six of the state of Washington's top underclassmen will also be getting out to see a number of schools.

Four of them are members of the Top247 for the 2023 class and two are 2024 prospects, and they're all going together to see SEC schools.

Headlining the group is Tacoma (Wash.) Lincoln five-star 2023 edge rusher Jayden Wayne and he'll be joined by his Abes teammate, four-star 2023 quarterback Gabarri Johnson.

So too will two more in-state four-stars in 2023, Sammamish (Wash.) Eastside Catholic cornerback Caleb Presley and Lake Stevens (Wash.) four-star running back Jayden Limar.

The 2024 prospects joining them are Seattle (Wash.) O'Dea offensive lineman Isendre Ahfua, who has a pair of early Pac-12 offers and Yelm (Wash.) linebacker Brayden Platt.

That group of six will head out with their 7v7 coach Tracy Ford of FSP and will be at reigning national champion Alabama on Wednesday, June 2nd, travel down to see Auburn on June 3rd and then round out the visit in Athens on Friday with a stop at Georgia.

Copied from the visitor listings I posted last week.

Edited Tuesday at 04:42 PM by toddc

•  
  • Like 2

4-star Rutgers WR commitment on Auburn visit: 'It kind of blew me out of the water'

ByJASON CALDWELL 44 minutes ago

A 4-star wide receiver from Stuart, Florida, 6-3 Amarion Brown made an early commitment to Rutgers but on Wednesday he was on the Auburn campus to get his first look at the Tigers. Spending several hours with Coach Bryan Harsin, Mike Bobo and Cornelius Williams, Brown said Auburn definitely made an impact on him once he got on campus.

“Oh my god, it was amazing,” Brown said. “I've never seen anything like this. Like this is my first time in Alabama. This is my first time out of Florida in like 13 years, so this is all like a really good experience for me.

“I really wasn't expecting this. I was expecting something big and very eye-taking, but it kind of blew me out of the water.”

Saying that Auburn ‘just felt different’ as soon as he walked through the doors of Auburn’s football complex, Brown got an opportunity to learn more about the new staff while he was on campus. Specifically spending time with Williams was something that really stood out to him.

I talked to all of these coaches that are new staff, especially from the ones that recruited me because the ones that recruited me aren't here anymore,” Brown said. “But I talked to my receivers coach. I just met him for the first time today. I was up there talking with him. We were just breaking down route running from pro athletes and things like that, just kind of getting football IQ.

“He's a real cool dude. Like he's very chill, very upfront. Pretty much just chill talk, not even just about football but just about life.”

Brown was already very familiar with Auburn because of his relationship with Jamien Sherwood. Close friends with the former safety and current New York Jets rookie, the wide receiver said Sherwood gave him plenty of background about Auburn during his time on the Plains.

“I used to talk to him all the time, especially when he just came here like his freshman year,” Brown said. “I texted him and asked him how it is and what is it like, what stood out. A whole bunch of questions. And he was basically telling me how it's different, it's an adjustment that you got to get used to. You just have to put your head to it, put your mind to it and you can get through it.”

Part of a bus tour that has already been to Georgia and Georgia Tech and still has trips to Alabama, Florida, UCF, East Mississippi and Jackson State, Brown said he’s still committed to Rutgers but he’ll ‘definitely’ be back to Auburn for an official visit in the fall.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Zeek said:

I'll just say that I'm starting to feel really impressed with the early work by our staff. As we've stated numerous times 2022 (and even 2023 to some extent) are uphill battles but we're not shying away.

I honestly am starting to think the "uphill battle" narrative is a bit overblown.  These kids haven't been on a single college campus since after their Freshman year.  We'll see how we close, but lots of good info rolling out.

5 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I honestly am starting to think the "uphill battle" narrative is a bit overblown.  These kids haven't been on a single college campus since after their Freshman year.  We'll see how we close, but lots of good info rolling out.

Good point, but also, it's more than just the kids. It's about the relationships with their coaches, their schools' admins, the power brokers in their communities... It takes a village to help a kid decide where to go. Winning the recruits' hearts and minds is one game, but winning the hearts and minds of their handlers is another. 

Obviously I'm not talking about every recruit. Lots of families out there on strong footing who are willing and able to let their kid go wherever he wants and waiting for that NFL paycheck or degree earned. But lots of other situations where the kids don't have a ton of control. Seastrunk, Calloway, Cyko, maybe Rashaan Evans... 

Anyway. You're right that we're probably on more equal footing with the players than many think we are, but I do think a big hill does in fact remain to be climbed. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Good point, but also, it's more than just the kids. It's about the relationships with their coaches, their schools' admins, the power brokers in their communities... It takes a village to help a kid decide where to go. Winning the recruits' hearts and minds is one game, but winning the hearts and minds of their handlers is another. 

Obviously I'm not talking about every recruit. Lots of families out there on strong footing who are willing and able to let their kid go wherever he wants and waiting for that NFL paycheck or degree earned. But lots of other situations where the kids don't have a ton of control. Seastrunk, Calloway, Cyko, maybe Rashaan Evans... 

Anyway. You're right that we're probably on more equal footing with the players than many think we are, but I do think a big hill does in fact remain to be climbed. 

Yeah, I agree with some of that.  We might not be getting multiple 5* kids (or any).  But there is a lot of top kids between 30 and 350 that are available that aren't going to have handlers, that don't need a little cash to folks, etc.  We can build that down the road.

Edited by W.E.D

7 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Yeah, I agree with some of that.  We might not be getting multiple 5* kids (or any).  But there is a lot of top kids between 30 and 350 that are available that aren't going to have handlers, that don't need a little cash to folks, etc.  We can build that down the road.

Right. I guess the question is, are we competing with the Oregons and FSUs of the world for 247 class ranking supremacy, or are we trying to stay on the field with our rivals? I have no doubt we can do the former in the short term, but that uphill battle will be required to achieve the latter.

17 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Seastrunk

Who?? 

:big:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Right. I guess the question is, are we competing with the Oregons and FSUs of the world for 247 class ranking supremacy, or are we trying to stay on the field with our rivals? I have no doubt we can do the former in the short term, but that uphill battle will be required to achieve the latter.

I think we can have an extremely good smaller class.  Like 17 kids.  I'd like to be able to leave 3-4 spots open for transfers in January.  I believe we've used 2-3 spots so far.

• Haha 1

Kamari Wilson: 'I'm definitely messing with Auburn'

Christian Clemente • AuburnSports

Staff

@CClemente__

Ad - Expert Market

Kamari Wilson sees his role at Auburn.

The No. 33 player in the class of 2022 knows Smoke Monday is likely leaving after next season, and he can see himself as a the next Monday.

The two talked during Wilson’s unofficial visit to Auburn on Wednesday.

I watched a couple clips of Smoke. Smoke, he can do it all,” Wilson said. “He can cover, he can hit — he can most definitely hit, blitz off the edge and I really see a little bit of me in him.”

Along with seeing himself as a similar player to Monday, he can see him easily sliding into that safety role.

Kamari Wilson during his unofficial visit to Auburn. (Christian Clemente/AuburnSports.com)

Wilson, along with other teammates at IMG Academy arrived at Auburn as part of a tour that’s already visited Georgia and Georgia Tech, but will also stop at Alabama, Florida and several other spots.

Auburn, though, did stick out to Wilson.

“Coming here really showed me that they’re a family here,” Wilson said. “Their facility is nice. They’re actually building probably the biggest facility in the nation here. I love the coaches. They’re very detailed in what they do. I can tell everyone here has a passion for ball and I feel like they can develop me to a high level so I’m definitely messing with Auburn.”

NATL

ST

POS

KAMARI

WILSON

UNDECIDED

6'1" | 188 LBS | S | 2022

IMG ACADEMY

BRADENTON, FL

While IMG Academy doesn’t allow official visits during the season, Wilson will be back in Auburn. IMG Academy has a game scheduled at Auburn High, and Wilson wants to return to Auburn University for a game as well. 

“I don’t think coach will like me after the game,” Wilson joked about Bryan Harsin’s son, Davis Harsin, playing for Auburn High.

Wilson has planned official visits to LSU and Texas A&M later in the month and named Auburn, Georgia, Georgia Tech, LSU, Texas A&M, Florida, Florida State and Miami as some favorites.

• Like 2

Shout out to @Paladin and @toddcas well helping update things. The misses has a cold right now so I'm getting to do all of the feedings and diaper changes while she pseudo quarantines lol.

We have a ridiculously large group of kids coming in from Washington today and one from Arizona that we have a lot of momentum with. Almost all are > or = to 4* ratings.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Shout out to @Paladin and @toddcas well helping update things. The misses has a cold right now so I'm getting to do all of the feedings and diaper changes while she pseudo quarantines lol.

We have a ridiculously large group of kids coming in from Washington today and one from Arizona that we have a lot of momentum with. Almost all are > or = to 4* ratings.

Yes, definitely a shout out to @Paladinand @toddc. Thanks guys, you're doing a heck of a job too. War Eagle

• Thanks 3
  • Love 1

40 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

Yes, definitely a shout out to @Paladinand @toddc. Thanks guys, you're doing a heck of a job too. War Eagle

Second (third) this. As someone who brings nothing to the board I truly appreciate those that are bringing real insight and info👊🏼

• Like 1

Rivals250 CB from Arizona visits Auburn, plans official visit

Jeffrey Lee • AuburnSports

Senior Editor

@JLeeAURivals

Rivals250 cornerback Benjamin Morrison visited Auburn on Thursday. The four-star recruit already plans to return.

“It was awesome. I didn’t expect it,” Morrison said. “I want to come to the SEC after this. I’ll definitely take an official visit. I’ll come back in the fall.”

Benjamin Morrison is from Arizona, but now plans to play in the SEC. (Christian Clemente/AuburnSports.com)

Morrison, from Phoenix, Ariz., toured the campus and facilities and met extensively with coach Bryan Harsin, defensive coordinator Derek Mason and cornerbacks coach Zac Etheridge.

“I talked to the head coach for a long time,” Morrison said. “He’s a personal guy with a vision. I believe in everything he’s doing here. And Coach Etheridge, I love him. He’s a very, very personal guy. The first time I met him I was like this dude, I see him more as a family member.”

Morrison already was familiar with Mason.

“My dad grew up with him in the teenage years, so they’ve known each other for a long time, Morrison said. “It makes me comfortable. My dad trusts him and I trust my dad.”

Morrison on Wednesday visited Alabama. After seeing the two SEC schools, Morrison is convinced he’ll likely play in the SEC.

“After visiting Bama yesterday and after seeing the two schools (Auburn and Alabama), I feel like I want to play in the SEC,” Morrison said. “I see myself playing in the SEC.”

Morrison already has three official visits set to non-SEC schools: Notre Dame (June 11-13), Oregon (June 18-20) and Washington (June 25-27). But he plans to be back in the South in the fall.

Rivals ranks Morrison No. 249 in the Rivals250, No. 3 overall recruit in Arizona and No. 27 cornerback in the 2022 class.

Edited by Paladin
  • Like 2

Some interesting areas opening up with Harsin.  It'll be interesting if he can snag some of these kids from areas we usually don't recruit

• Like 1

Absolutely huge prospect for us. Apparently going really well. 

• Like 2

Really feels like we're trending here. Not inside info just my personal vibe from his interview and tweets. 

• Like 3