2021 JUCO DB - Roterius Torrence COMMITS!

Paladin

Standout junior college DB commits to Auburn

By KEITH NIEBUHR 13 minutes ago

Not that long ago, Hutchinson (Kansas) Community College cornerback Roterius Torrence was Tennessee bound. But just days after backing away from a pledge to the Vols, he has committed to Auburn as a big late 2021 addition.

"I'm very excited to be coming home," said Torrence, an Alabama native. "I chose Auburn because I feel like it's a good fit for me with the rebuild process and the new coaches that have come in."

Torrence will arrive at Auburn on Saturday.

A second-year standout at Hutchinson, Torrence is listed at 6-feet-4 and 195 pounds and is the No. 5 corner in the junior college rankings for 2021.

In eight game games this spring, Torrence recorded 23 tackles, 3 tackles for loss, 6 pass breakups and 1 interception. Hutchinson beat Snow College (Utah) 29-27 Saturday in the National Junior College Athletic Association national championship game in Little Rock, Ark. Torrence intercepted a pass in that victory.

Torrence de-committed from Tennessee on Tuesday. His verbal to the Vols lasted just eight days.

Auburn corners coach Zac Etheridge has been communicating with Torrence for some time, Torrence said. Receivers coach Cornelius Williams also played a major role in this recruitment.

Torrence will have four years to play three seasons at his next stop, he said. He played his high school ball in Bessemer City, Ala.

With Auburn having a large veteran group of corners, the Tigers have a favorable depth chart looking forward, Torrence told Auburn Undercover earlier in the week. "It does make it appealing but I know I'm going to have to work no matter what," he said.

According to Torrence, he cheered for the other Power 5 team in the state when he was younger. But now, he will be a Tiger. And, he couldn't be happier.

"Even though growing up an Alabama fan, I still wanted to play for one of those teams (Auburn or Alabama.)," Torrence said. "Coming from Alabama, this is a big blessing."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Standout junior college DB commits to Auburn

ByKEITH NIEBUHR 20 minutes ago

Share13 Comments

Not that long ago, Hutchinson (Kansas) Community College cornerback Roterius Torrence was Tennessee bound. But just days after backing away from a pledge to the Vols, he has committed to Auburn as a big late 2021 addition.

"I'm very excited to be coming home," said Torrence, an Alabama native. "I chose Auburn because I feel like it's a good fit for me with the rebuild process and the new coaches that have come in."

Torrence will arrive at Auburn on Saturday.

A second-year standout at Hutchinson, Torrence is listed at 6-feet-4 and 195 pounds and is the No. 5 corner in the junior college rankings for 2021.

In eight game games this spring, Torrence recorded 23 tackles, 3 tackles for loss, 6 pass breakups and 1 interception. Hutchinson beat Snow College (Utah) 29-27 Saturday in the National Junior College Athletic Association national championship game in Little Rock, Ark. Torrence intercepted a pass in that victory.

Torrence de-committed from Tennessee on Tuesday. His verbal to the Vols lasted just eight days. 

Auburn corners coach Zac Etheridge has been communicating with Torrence for some time, Torrence said. Receivers coach Cornelius Williams also played a major role in this recruitment.

Torrence will have four years to play three seasons at his next stop, he said. He played his high school ball in Bessemer City, Ala.

With Auburn having a large veteran group of corners, the Tigers have a favorable depth chart looking forward, Torrence told Auburn Undercover earlier in the week. "It does make it appealing but I know I'm going to have to work no matter what," he said.

13COMMENTS

According to Torrence, he cheered for the other Power 5 team in the state when he was younger. But now, he will be a Tiger. And, he couldn't be happier.

"Even though growing up an Alabama fan, I still wanted to play for one of those teams (Auburn or Alabama.)," Torrence said. "Coming from Alabama, this is a big blessing."

5E068B80-096F-414D-9DD5-4A1A22B1D02C.png

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Just now, toddc said:

5E068B80-096F-414D-9DD5-4A1A22B1D02C.png

Watched my first episode of this yesterday and it's not bad!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Paladin changed the title to 2021 JUCO DB - Roterius Torrence COMMITS!

Congratulations and War Eagle, young man!

I notice he is surprisingly tall for a CB, at 6'4".  To our more football savvy posters, do you think this is a coincidence and he's just the best player available, or do they have a certain role in mind for him?

6 minutes ago, Aubie the Tiger said:

Congratulations and War Eagle, young man!

I notice he is surprisingly tall for a CB, at 6'4".  To our more football savvy posters, do you think this is a coincidence and he's just the best player available, or do they have a certain role in mind for him?

He's a beast CB with four years to play three. I dunno if we have to carve out a "role" for him.

Is it just me our have we brought in more DB’s than can actually see the field? I understand injuries and the age of spread offenses. Did our staff have concerns about the position after spring ball. Interested to know if anyone has some insight. I support the coaching staff and who they recruit/ target in portal. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Paladin said:

I’m still kinda iffy about the roboticness  of this, it’s a tad cringe to me. But no big deal 😂

Edited by Maverick.AU

23 minutes ago, AUgrad2013 said:

Is it just me our have we brought in more DB’s than can actually see the field? I understand injuries and the age of spread offenses. Did our staff have concerns about the position after spring ball. Interested to know if anyone has some insight. I support the coaching staff and who they recruit/ target in portal. 

This dude has four years to play three. Those talented guys we already have will leave at some point. This isn't a 2021 deal.

Kid seems to be good, but damn we're really going heavy on DB

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Kid seems to be good, but damn we're really going heavy on DB

Gonna need a 11 DB scheme to beat Bama whenever they reload from the 40 WRs they lost over the past couple drafts! You’re not thinking ahead enough 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

This video unnerves me so much but I can’t help but watch it every time it arrives

wish they buried it with Gus

Same not a fan

13 hours ago, AUgrad2013 said:

It's not just you. Apparently the new staff sees the defensive side of the ball as the one that needs shoring up, the D-backfield in particular.

@ZeekThis guy is another one who will have to count against the class of '22, correct?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mikey said:

It's not just you. Apparently the new staff sees the defensive side of the ball as the one that needs shoring up, the D-backfield in particular.

@ZeekThis guy is another one who will have to count against the class of '22, correct?

Correct! Any more transfers will count against 2022 including JuCo.

14 hours ago, AUgrad2013 said:

You can never have too many quality DB’s

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Folks, please check in on our roster from time to time.

We have 11 scholarship safeties/corners/DBs combined.

5 of those guys are seniors.

2 more will be draft eligible next season, so let's just say they and any seniors who might use any extra eligibility from COVID cancel each other out.

That leaves ~6 guys from our current roster who will still be here in 2022.

We've got 6 guys coming in on the 2021 class who aren't yet listed on the roster. One of them only has 1 year to play. Another only has 2 years to play and has high NFL draft pick written all over him. The other 4 consist of 3 3* guys and 1 transfer with 4 years remaining who folks are counting on being a big contributor.

And then you've got 2 more guys with significant eligibility left coming in on the 2022 class, IF Stinson's commitment holds. Florida is currently making a strong push. 

So where does that leave us? 11-5+6-1+2= 13 guys for 2 safety positions, 2 CB positions, and the nickel going into 2022 if we don't take any more DBs in the 2022 class. That number is as likely to go down as it is to go up. 

Perhaps more notably, most of those 13 guys for 5- 4 1/2, if you want to go all Mikey about it- positions will be going into the season without significant experience. 

We aren't loading up the DB room for 2021. We're loading it up for 2022 and beyond. This isn't the Malzahn era of constantly trying to catch up to moves we should've made in the previous cycle anymore. Harsin is looking forward. This is roster management. 

Now go do the same for OL too. Scary

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Folks, please check in on our roster from time to time.

We have 11 scholarship safeties/corners/DBs combined.

5 of those guys are seniors.

2 more will be draft eligible next season, so let's just say they and any seniors who might use any extra eligibility from COVID cancel each other out.

That leaves ~6 guys from our current roster who will still be here in 2022.

We've got 6 guys coming in on the 2021 class who aren't yet listed on the roster. One of them only has 1 year to play. Another only has 2 years to play and has high NFL draft pick written all over him. The other 4 consist of 3 3* guys and 1 transfer with 4 years remaining who folks are counting on being a big contributor.

And then you've got 2 more guys with significant eligibility left coming in on the 2022 class, IF Stinson's commitment holds. Florida is currently making a strong push. 

So where does that leave us? 11-5+6-1+2= 13 guys for 2 safety positions, 2 CB positions, and the nickel going into 2022 if we don't take any more DBs in the 2022 class. That number is as likely to go down as it is to go up. 

Perhaps more notably, most of those 13 guys for 5- 4 1/2, if you want to go all Mikey about it- positions will be going into the season without significant experience. 

We aren't loading up the DB room for 2021. We're loading it up for 2022 and beyond. This isn't the Malzahn era of constantly trying to catch up to moves we should've made in the previous cycle anymore. Harsin is looking forward. This is roster management. 

Some people are playing chess, while others are stuck in checkers.

• Like 3