Allen Greene needs to step up concerning vaccinations

Eagle Eye 7

6 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Fearmongering around the vaccine. 

so   .0012 percent MAY be getting myocarditis and pericarditis  which  usually goes away on it's own with rest , or  can be healed with meds.

Have you seen what the virus can do to your heart and lungs?  Have you seen the numbers of deaths and post virus issues from the actual virus?

.0012 is 6x more than .00002 that died in that age group...thanks for making my case.  We put 2000 healthy young people in the hospital because some unhealthy people needed a vaccine.

And again, this isn't about me...it's about the 99.9th percentile of healthiest elite athletes that are at no risk.  I'll gladly go thru my calculus in another thread.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 3

On 8/20/2021 at 3:31 PM, aubiefifty said:

all of this mess is going to get so bad on here we are not going to be able to talk any kind of football without interruptions and threads getting locked. this is going to turn into a mess.

all sports forums in general have gotten bad lately i try to stay off of most of them because of how bad all the bickering has gotten over pointless arguements, this one seems to be following in that trajectory as well unfortunately

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Butthead said:

https://boriquagato.substack.com/p/the-real-public-health-crisis

Some CDC stats included in the not so politically correct article. 

You should probably know that people don't go clicking on obscure, sketchy URLs anymore and haven't for years. Feel free to copy and paste.

4 hours ago, Butthead said:

Get back to me on how many of these people were fit athletes in their teens and early 20s. 

In case you're interested in actual facts....the Delta variant, which is the predominant strain infecting people in the U.S. today.....is killing young,healthy unvaccinated Americans. Older people with underlying issues who got vaccinated are mostly having very mild cases if it does break through, and they are able to stay at home. I am seeing this with my own eyes every day at work.

https://www.infectioncontroltoday.com/view/younger-people-in-us-getting-hit-hard-by-delta-variant

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Butthead said:

From a very reliable soutce.....which is crucial when evaluating COVID information.

https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/5-things-to-know-delta-variant-covid

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/20/2021 at 5:22 PM, gravejd said:

Call you out as someone who throws out random crap on the internet

hes-a-grown-ass-man-adult.gif

5 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

From a very reliable soutce.....which is crucial when evaluating COVID information.

https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/5-things-to-know-delta-variant-covid

Nothing in either of your posted articles changes the CDC statistics. It may well be more contagious and it may well make some people sicker but that doesn’t change the mortality stats. Reasonable people can decide that the risk profile is on their aside and it can have nothing to do with politics. 

1 hour ago, japantiger said:

.0012 is 6x more than .00002 that died in that age group...thanks for making my case.  We put 2000 healthy young people in the hospital because some unhealthy people needed a vaccine.

And again, this isn't about me...it's about the 99.9th percentile of healthiest elite athletes that are at no risk.  I'll gladly go thru my calculus in another thread.

False logic:   You are comparing those that die  to those that almost invariably get over it.  

17 minutes ago, Butthead said:

Nothing in either of your posted articles changes the CDC statistics. It may well be more contagious and it may well make some people sicker but that doesn’t change the mortality stats. Reasonable people can decide that the risk profile is on their aside and it can have nothing to do with politics. 

Those stats are not from the current spike of the Delta variant we are in right now, especially in my state. The numbers will change. 

40 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

In case you're interested in actual facts....the Delta variant, which is the predominant strain infecting people in the U.S. today.....is killing young,healthy unvaccinated Americans. Older people with underlying issues who got vaccinated are mostly having very mild cases if it does break through, and they are able to stay at home. I am seeing this with my own eyes every day at work.

https://www.infectioncontroltoday.com/view/younger-people-in-us-getting-hit-hard-by-delta-variant

No data in the article to support anecdotal assertion.

59 minutes ago, Butthead said:

Ok. I went and checked out his "source" (which is a personally created Google Doc btw so not a real source). The biggest issue is his data is stupid. He's using the entire US population of an age group as the denominator. Not everyone in the US has contracted COVID. It's absurd to use that as the baseline.

It's like saying that only a handful of people a year die from electrocution. Therefore, you don't have to worry about grabbing two ends of a live cable because only 0.000001% die from it! Right?

Real data uses the number of people who've contracted the virus as the denominator. Then put the number of people who've died over that.  Whoever created that website and spreadsheet is a moron. And the people who follow random sites like that sheep of these people.

By their same logic, Polio, Small Pox, and the Bubonic Plague aren't bad viruses and not even deadly because nobody died from it this past year or was even affected by it. That's how dumb their data is.

Edited by AUTigerTime
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

5 hours ago, Butthead said:

Unless they have some other condition they have virtually no chance of dying without the vac. 

That is just not true. Furthermore, someone can be 40 with high blood pressure and live to be 89.  You seem to be suggesting that these people would die anyway.   Last I saw, over 60% of all Americans have some sort of condition. However, that condition itself isn't usually fatal.  Someone can be 60 and technically overweight, yet their overall health be good.  There have been 12,000 people die in Alabama alone from Covid-19, 28 of them having died yesterday. Alabama doesn't report every death as a Covid death.  Many are listed as probable. Next door in Georgia, the number is now close to 20,000 .  If anything else at any other time had killed this many, there would be outrage and a sense of common purpose to do whatever is necessary to defeat the cause.  If we can all do our part, we can get that done.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, japantiger said:

Hmmm,1st off, this is a discussion related to risks of healthy young people; not me.  Happy to have that in a different thread.  

So your answer on this point is what?  Do this regardless of risk?  There are 120m people in the US under the age of 30.  ~2900 died.  Of those under 30 that died, they had on average 1.1 other conditions like heart disease, diabetes, obesity, hypertension, cancer, etc.  If the deaths were evenly distributed by age, about 20m of the 120m or 16% of the total under 30 demo are college age..that would mean 580 total college age kids, with other conditions died, in the US with COVID.  Not healthy kids.  580. .... 0.00002

All this disruption with schools, isolation, etc., due to this level of risk.  If a kid has an underlying condition; they should get this.  More college age kids have gotten myocarditis per the CDC database than died (See CDC note below...2068 cases of myocarditis vs ~600 deaths).  When the severe side effects exceeds deaths; I think there's a pretty good reason to stand by).

Again, requiring the 99.9th percentile of healthy kids to get this is just stupid policy.  No wonder so many are saying no.  Scared old people shouldn't be asking young people to go into hibernation and take un-needed medicines. It's immoral and un-American. 

Spend the $$ on suicide prevention and focus on that among college age kids; because next to accidents, suicides kills more college age students and disproportionately impacts young men vs women (men 23/100k or 78% of all suicides; women 6/100k).  I can't get a reliable number for how much from the CDC data; they stopped publishing suicide specifics info in 2020.  Suicides initially went down as everyone was all gung ho to flatten the curve, but by summer, after more isolation, they started going up.  The best proxy I have is Emergency Room visits for suicide attempts were up 29% in the summer of 2020 and up 39% thru the winter into 2021.  The anti COVID measures have meant long periods of social isolation, interruptions in mental health care, constant fear mongering driving anxiety etc., a perfect cocktail to throw into a population that wasn't at risk to being with.   How some of you function is beyond me.  

• Myocarditis and pericarditis after COVID-19 vaccination are rare. As of August 11, 2021, VAERS has received 1,306 reports of myocarditis or pericarditis among people ages 30 and younger who received COVID-19 vaccine. Most cases have been reported after mRNA COVID-19 vaccination (Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna), particularly in male adolescents and young adults. Through follow-up, including medical record reviews, CDC and FDA have confirmed 762 reports of myocarditis or pericarditis. 

Not certain if you realize this or not, but myocarditis is generally a self resolving problem. 

15 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

That is just not true. Furthermore, someone can be 40 with high blood pressure and live to be 89.  You seem to be suggesting that these people would die anyway.   Last I saw, over 60% of all Americans have some sort of condition. However, that condition itself isn't usually fatal.  Someone can be 60 and technically overweight, yet their overall health be good.  There have been 12,000 people die in Alabama alone from Covid-19, 28 of them having died yesterday. Alabama doesn't report every death as a Covid death.  Many are listed as probable. Next door in Georgia, the number is now close to 20,000 .  If anything else at any other time had killed this many, there would be outrage and a sense of common purpose to do whatever is necessary to defeat the cause.  If we can all do our part, we can get that done.

Florida doesn't either. 

Edited by Tigerbelle

It boils down to this... The medical advisory board that advises the SEC has recommended and the SEC has adopted guidelines that require teams to be 85% vaccinated or be subject to testing protocols, which will test them multiple times each week and also includes contact tracing and quarantines.  On that committee sits Dr. Mike Goodlett, Auburn Chief Medical Officer/Team Physician.  They don't just willy nilly come to conclusions on what the best path forward is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

It boils down to this... The medical advisory board that advises the SEC has recommended and the SEC has adopted guidelines that require teams to be 85% vaccinated or be subject to testing protocols, which will test them multiple times each week and also includes contact tracing and quarantines.  On that committee sits Dr. Mike Goodlett, Auburn Chief Medical Officer/Team Physician.  They don't just willy nilly come to conclusions on what the best path forward is.

So true. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Not certain if you realize this or not, but myocarditis is generally a self resolving problem. 

Yes, in about 58% of the cases.  If it were all just OK though, I doubt the CDC would still be studying it would they. 

But, good to know you think it's OK to put these young people in the hospital to protect them from something they are not at risk of to begin with.    

1 hour ago, AUTigerTime said:

Ok. I went and checked out his "source" (which is a personally created Google Doc btw so not a real source). The biggest issue is his data is stupid. He's using the entire US population of an age group as the denominator. Not everyone in the US has contracted COVID. It's absurd to use that as the baseline.

It's like saying that only a handful of people a year die from electrocution. Therefore, you don't have to worry about grabbing two ends of a live cable because only 0.000001% die from it! Right?

Real data uses the number of people who've contracted the virus as the denominator. Then put the number of people who've died over that.  Whoever created that website and spreadsheet is a moron. And the people who follow random sites like that sheep of these people.

By their same logic, Polio, Small Pox, and the Bubonic Plague aren't bad viruses and not even deadly because nobody died from it this past year or was even affected by it. That's how dumb their data is.

The Alabama school system FAILED so many of us man. It’s tremendous to see the lapse in basic information parsing skills nor the ability to apply context. This isn’t a political post, but our state elected officials have failed us 

• Like 3

most of the people who refuse the vaccine are a whole lot of evangelicals and younger americans in their twenties and thirties. and if anyone thinks you are getting the mark of the beast or a microchip to keep up with you are a special kind of stupid. the government does that with your cell phones if they are in fact keeping up with you. and computers. i know a guy on facebook claiming you can take a piece of metal and place it where the vaccine was given and it sticks to the skin. i told him i wanted to see and i would buy him a steak dinner if it was true. he declined. and why so many church goers refuse to get it just blows my mind. sars is not just a year old it has been around give or take about twenty years and keeps evolving. this turned into a political issue and it is killing people. our hospitals in anniston are full again and are not doing elective surgeries. it is a sad thing to see.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

Several' Auburn teams fully vaccinated; football 'continues to change'

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com
3-4 minutes

Auburn AD Allen Greene

Director of Athletics Allen Greene talks to the students and introduces the coaches Sunday. Auburn University Student Convocation on Sunday, Aug. 15, 2021 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

As Auburn head coach Bryan Harsin remains in isolation following a positive COVID-19 result Thursday, his team’s vaccination rate “continues to change” as the season nears, according to athletics director Allen Greene.

The vaccination rate of Auburn’s football team has trailed many of its SEC West counterparts — including Ole Miss, Alabama, LSU, Texas A&M and Arkansas — but as the fall semester has gotten underway and the delta variant of the coronavirus continues to spread, Greene has seen more football players choose to get vaccinated. Last month at SEC Media Days, Harsin said his team’s roster vaccination was around 60 percent, adding at the start of fall camp that the number has “improved.”

Still, the Tigers remain short of the SEC’s recommended threshold of 85 percent roster vaccination — a mark that would permit teams to stop regularly testing players, coaches and staff members, regardless of their vaccination status. Reaching that threshold also permits teams to list mask requirements within facilities, though Auburn’s current campus policy requires masks to be worn indoors at all times.

Allen Greene

When asked Saturday if he had any concerns about problems arising for the football team this season given that it remains short of that benchmark, Greene stressed that the athletics department has continued to implement “mitigation” strategies, including mask-wearing, social distancing 6 feet apart and “making sure we’re doing all we can to keep our student-athletes safe.”

With the SEC not planning to reschedule games this fall due to COVID-19 setbacks, and the threat of forfeiture on the table if a team cannot field enough healthy players, Greene said athletes have more incentive to get vaccinated.

“We continue to have athletes talking about wanting to get vaccinated,” Greene said. “They want to play. They’ve been preparing for eight months. Our staff has been preparing for eight months. We understand that if you don’t have enough players that there’s forfeiture involved. That’s not something that’s on our minds right now. Our minds are on playing football, playing an uninterrupted season and being awfully competitive.”

Where Auburn’s roster vaccination will be at the start of the season Sept. 4 against Akron remains to be seen, and while those numbers have trailed that of some of the program’s peers, Greene felt good about the vaccination rates of many of Auburn’s other teams. That includes the soccer team, which announced earlier this week that it reached 100 percent roster vaccination.

“We have a lot of teams who are close,” Greene said. “We have several teams who are 100 percent. Now that student-athletes are back on campus, now that it’s becoming more of a reality and the delta variant is spreading the way it is, we talk to all our teams about the importance of this, and we’ll continue to do that.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

most of the people who refuse the vaccine are a whole lot of evangelicals and younger americans in their twenties and thirties. and if anyone thinks you are getting the mark of the beast or a microchip to keep up with you are a special kind of stupid. the government does that with your cell phones if they are in fact keeping up with you. and computers. i know a guy on facebook claiming you can take a piece of metal and place it where the vaccine was given and it sticks to the skin. i told him i wanted to see and i would buy him a steak dinner if it was true. he declined. and why so many church goers refuse to get it just blows my mind. sars is not just a year old it has been around give or take about twenty years and keeps evolving. this turned into a political issue and it is killing people. our hospitals in anniston are full again and are not doing elective surgeries. it is a sad thing to see.

You talk about church people like they hear this at church. Do you even go ? Because they don’t teach this ! you are just stereotype them .

Edited by eagle12
  • Dislike 1