Allen Greene needs to step up concerning vaccinations

Eagle Eye 7

3 minutes ago, eagle12 said:

You talk about church people like they hear this at church. Do you even go ? Because they don’t teach this ! you are just stereotype them .

my best friend is a preacher so i know what he tells me. but thanks for calling me a liar.

9 hours ago, AUTigerTime said:

Ok. I went and checked out his "source" (which is a personally created Google Doc btw so not a real source). The biggest issue is his data is stupid. He's using the entire US population of an age group as the denominator. Not everyone in the US has contracted COVID. It's absurd to use that as the baseline.

It's like saying that only a handful of people a year die from electrocution. Therefore, you don't have to worry about grabbing two ends of a live cable because only 0.000001% die from it! Right?

Real data uses the number of people who've contracted the virus as the denominator. Then put the number of people who've died over that.  Whoever created that website and spreadsheet is a moron. And the people who follow random sites like that sheep of these people.

By their same logic, Polio, Small Pox, and the Bubonic Plague aren't bad viruses and not even deadly because nobody died from it this past year or was even affected by it. That's how dumb their data is.

The CDC stats are the CDC stats. I suspect if they thought they had accurate data on the number of contracted cases they would have used that data. No matter what you use for the denominator college athletes are not dying from COVID. 

8 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

The Alabama school system FAILED so many of us man. It’s tremendous to see the lapse in basic information parsing skills nor the ability to apply context. This isn’t a political post, but our state elected officials have failed us 

Typical. Don’t like the statistics so question my intelligence. 

• Like 1

Shower thought....

What are the chances that some of our players have been missing from practice and scrimmages are not out because of protocol,  but are out because they received the vaccine since it can take some people a day or two of exhaustion? 

I know I would have been useless at practice for 48 hours after I got my shot.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Butthead said:

The CDC stats are the CDC stats. I suspect if they thought they had accurate data on the number of contracted cases they would have used that data. No matter what you use for the denominator college athletes are not dying from COVID. 

Any still  Death is not the only negative outcome from getting the virus.  College athletes are getting heart and lung issues from the virus.

Myocarditis is showing up at 2-5 thousand times more often  with the  virus than with the vaccine.   .0012%   for the vaccine , 2-5% from the virus.

https://www.thecardiologyadvisor.com/general-cardiology/heart-inflammation-after-covid-19-infection-in-athletes/

https://www.thecardiologyadvisor.com/general-cardiology/heart-inflammation-after-covid-19-infection-in-athletes/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8300147/

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner

1.Well, he should certainly make sure they don't go to church.  You could get covid.

2.And any of you guys that hunt should turn in your guns.  You could get covid.

3.And we should probably bring in some National Guard to stay with them to ensure all these things. Covid.

4.Make sure you have your paperwork. He should institute unannounced searches of the players and their rooms. Covid.

8. Should set up these really high fines and put them in stocks outside Haley Center if they don't comply.  They're all making good money on NIL, right?  You know, covid.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

37 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

my best friend is a preacher so i know what he tells me. but thanks for calling me a liar.

You put a lot of people you don’t know in that box with your preacher friend.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Any still  Death is not the only negative outcome from getting the virus.  College athletes are getting heart and lung issues from the virus.

Myocarditis is showing up at 2-5 thousand times more often  with the  virus than with the vaccine.   .0012%   for the vaccine , 2-5% from the virus.

Add Covid-related myocarditis, mechanical ventilation, and death to this year’s football risks

By Lisa Kearns, Kathleen Bachynski and Arthur L. Caplan Nov. 26, 2020

Our fourth annual Football Injury Highlight Reel is taking a different tack this year. In previous years — 2017, 2018, and 2019 — we surveyed injuries to youth, high school, college, and pro football players, some quite serious and some even career- or life-ending. This year we focus on the effect Covid-19 has had on the game because in 2020 a chief health harm of football at all levels of play hasn’t been the physicality of the game itself but the coronavirus.

The spread of Covid-19 associated with contact sports ripples outward from players, staff, and fans to entire communities.

Although high school athletes are at lower risk of developing Covid-19 than the general public, high school athletes are not immune to serious outcomes from the disease.

• In Georgia, 14-year old Keyshawn Parrish was hospitalized in a pediatric intensive care unit and diagnosed with Covid-19-induced myocarditis — an inflammation of the heart muscle — after contracting the virus. He also sustained liver damage, although he had no known underlying conditions. The Statesboro High School football player is now being closely monitored by a cardiologist and currently cannot return to sports participation.

• In Mississippi, 14-year-old Kosciusko High School football player Cam Smith was hospitalized in critical condition with Covid-19. Other students at the school also tested positive, and teacher Carolyn Stevens was hospitalized and on a ventilator. As a consequence, the school temporarily halted all extracurricular activities and moved to remote learning.

Kosciusko High illustrates the risk that Covid-19 poses to entire communities. Although limited contact tracing often makes it difficult to track down the original source of transmission, once the virus enters a school, everybody — students, teachers, coaches, staff, parents — can be affected. So many Mississippi high school football programs canceled games due to outbreaks that Mississippi Today dubbed Covid-19 “the clear winner in the 2020 Mississippi high school football championship playoffs.”

High school coaches and staff have not been spared, to tragic consequences:

• Forty-two-year-old Nacoma James, an assistant football coach at Lafayette High School in Oxford, Mississippi, died shortly after collapsing in his wife’s arms in early August. The coroner reported that James had Covid-19.

• After spending nearly a month on a ventilator, 46-year-old Charles Peterson died of Covid-19 on September 13. Described as a “big, giant teddy bear,” he was a beloved volunteer football coach at Spring Valley High School in Columbia, South Carolina.

• In Tolleson, Arizona, 40-year-old assistant football and baseball coach Ash Friederich died on October 31 from Covid-19 complications. “Ash was the guy that always had a smile on his face,” one of his colleagues recalled.

• In Georgia, five head football coaches have been hospitalized for Covid-19 so far this season. The latest, Cook High School football coach Jaime Rodgers, was admitted to the hospital due to low oxygen levels on November 20. The week before, the high school cancelled its football match-up with Fitzgerald due to Covid-19, and as many as 100 students were in quarantine.

• Mark Rose, a successful high school football coach in Alabama, was so worried about the risk of developing Covid-19 that he quit his job. “I put it all on the line, but I would do it all again,” Rose said. “I couldn’t sleep at night if I wasn’t protecting my players, their families and my coaches.”

Covid-19 has also affected college football programs across the nation.

• Jamain Stephens Jr., a defensive lineman for California University of Pennsylvania, died from a blood clot in his heart after contracting Covid-19. “I’m very, very nervous for these young men and women … These kids, their lives are priceless. And it’s just not worth it,” his mother, Kelly Allen, told CBS News.

Although the vast majority of the hundreds of college football players who have contracted Covid-19 so far this year have survived, the virus has still had a lasting impact on some players.

• Clemson defensive end Xavier Thomas, who had Covid-19 in the spring, said he had trouble breathing for months. He was finally cleared to play in September, although he still is not back to full strength. “I would say I’m about halfway there,” Thomas said in early November. And Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence finally returned to the field last weekend after missing a month due to Covid-19.

Yet college football games proceed — as long as Covid-19 doesn’t force a cancellation. At least 16 college games were cancelled or postponed the weekend of Nov. 21-22 because of the virus.

In the NFL, before the season started the league announced a special “Reserve/Covid-19” list for players who tested positive for SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes Covid-19. On the list for last weekend’s games alone: three San Francisco 49ers, three New York Giants, and a player each from Indianapolis, Tampa Bay, Arizona, Baltimore, and Cincinnati (which also had three coaches sidelined for “Covid-19 related reasons”). That’s in addition to the dozens of players already on the list, according to DraftKings Nation — and the nearly 200 players who were placed on the list before the season began and have since come off.

• Buffalo Bills tight end Tommy Sweeney developed myocarditis stemming from his bout with Covid-19 and will be out the rest of the season.

Meanwhile, the league continues to issue large fines to players and teams for Covid-19-related violations such as failing to wear a mask on the sidelines or mask-less victory celebrations.

This, of course, is just a snapshot of the football-related outbreaks and their repercussions. What remains unknown, and probably unknowable, is how these infections have affected those off the field, including officials, family members, teachers, community members, media workers, and beyond. What we do know is that the country is experiencing a devastating surge in cases and fatalities. Ed Yong wrote that the University of Nebraska Medical Center is struggling with the surge of outbreaks “not because of any one super-spreading event, but because of the cumulative toll of millions of bad decisions.”

Count this year’s football seasons at all levels, from on-field activities to fan festivities, among those decisions.

Finally, although Covid seems to have overshadowed the concern for the broken bones, smashed kidneys, punctured lungs, and concussed heads that football causes, these injuries have not abated. Pro Football Reference has hundreds of players on its “Current NFL Injuries” list as of Nov. 20, including 23 concussions, more than 100 knee injuries, Drew Brees’s 11 broken ribs and collapsed lung, and, of, course 70+ players out for “personal” reasons, many — if not most — of those presumably being for fear of contracting Covid.

• College football has seen season-ending ankle injuries for Alabama’s Jaylen Waddle and Georgia’s Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint, and a hit to Mississippi’s Damarcus Thomas that caused him to lose all feeling in his body, to name just a very few.

• There were dire injuries in high school too. In Georgia, Pace Academy sophomore Jordan Sloan suffered a traumatic brain injury during a game in late September and, as of Nov. 20, was slated to move to a rehab facility; a GoFundMe page had raised nearly half of its $500,000 goal for his care.

• In Kentucky, Zach Vorbrink, a North Bullitt High School senior, suffered a head injury that resulted in a brain bleed and subsequent surgery. “I think Zach went over the top of the kid and hit the ground,” his coach said. “Head-to-head collisions are bad, but head-to-ground collisions are the worst.”

The desire to play football is huge among paid and unpaid athletes, and the revenue the sport generates at the college and pro levels is irresistible. But Covid-19 has already claimed more than 250,000 American lives, and hospitals across the United States are again nearing capacity. Failing to prioritize both athlete and community health by minimizing Covid-19 risks associated with college, high school, and pro football this year is inexcusable.

Lisa Kearns is a senior researcher in the Division of Medical Ethics at NYU Grossman School of Medicine. Kathleen Bachynski is an assistant professor at Muhlenberg College and the author of “No Game for Boys to Play: The History of Youth Football and the Origins of a Public Health Crisis” (University of North Carolina Press, November 2019). Arthur Caplan is professor of bioethics and director of the Division of Medical Ethics at NYU Grossman School of Medicine.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/11/26/myocarditis-mechanical-ventilation-death-join-football-risks-covid-19/

Note: this was published in Nov. 2020

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Not sure where you get 2 to 5 from your links. The Big 10 was a pretty small sample. And the other physicians quoted 2 to 3 without any supporting data. Same quote also said a vast majority resolved after a couple of weeks. 

so again put yourself in the shoes of a current athlete  passing on the vaccine is not unreasonable  

50 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

1.Well, he should certainly make sure they don't go to church.  You could get covid.

2.And any of you guys that hunt should turn in your guns.  You could get covid.

3.And we should probably bring in some National Guard to stay with them to ensure all these things. Covid.

4.Make sure you have your paperwork. He should institute unannounced searches of the players and their rooms. Covid.

8. Should set up these really high fines and put them in stocks outside Haley Center if they don't comply.  They're all making good money on NIL, right?  You know, covid.

I understand the argument several have raised recently about name calling, but I just hope y'all also realize that some folks practically beg for it. 

10 hours ago, AU9377 said:

It boils down to this... The medical advisory board that advises the SEC has recommended and the SEC has adopted guidelines that require teams to be 85% vaccinated or be subject to testing protocols, which will test them multiple times each week and also includes contact tracing and quarantines.  On that committee sits Dr. Mike Goodlett, Auburn Chief Medical Officer/Team Physician.  They don't just willy nilly come to conclusions on what the best path forward is.

Well, they should have consulted with AUFamily first.  Apparently we are loaded with epidemiologists.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

but are out because they received the vaccine since it can take some people a day or two of exhaustion? 

Great point that I hadn't thought about myself.  I know when I got vaccinated it really knocked me for a loop and I was down for a couple of days.  My wife, not as bad and I've heard other folks say they were fine and had no adverse reactions at all.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AU9377 said:

This has nothing to do with respect.  Does Kiffin not respect his players? Smart? Saban? etc?  Why do the players have a nutritionist and a trainer? Is it being disrespectful to tell them what to eat and how to work out?

There's a difference between aiding the performance of someone playing a kid's game and forcing someone to make an important medical decision for the sake of that same kid's game. 

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

i know you guys do not read much al.com but it gets a lot of press. a pastor in tennessee forbid folks from entering his church with a mask on so i would say the same back at you. and i see preachers and recently a right wing anti vaxxer just died with it. you can have your head stuck in the sand all you want but it is a problem. just because you do not see it does not mean it is not true. and my preacher friend and his wife both had covid and did not get the vax. he said that is the sickest he has ever been. also his wifes brother died from covid. believe what you want as i am not going to argue all day but i see and hear what i see and hear. now i got a friend in the ham who is also a drummer in a beatles tribute band and he tells me the same thing that people are getting misinformation and it is making a lot of people sick or dead. i suggest you open your mind. the latest thing is they are taking drugs to kill worms in cows. i bet you do not believe that either but i posted it on political smack talk board. everyone keeps repeating that ninety somthing percent survival rate and thinking they do not need it.and you have put me in a box as well but you just called me out with nothing to back up what YOU think. see how that works?

16 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

If he was putting their important medical decisions ahead of the game he would say... Hey get vaxed and quit football. Seriously. 

Beyond nonsensical. This. Is. An. Emergency. Approval. Experimental. Vaccine. You guys act like it's as safe as salt tablets. It may be... but we currently don't know that.

What do you think when you see a headline like this? How do you rationalize it? 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/08/19/moderna-vaccine-myocarditis/

3 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Beyond nonsensical. This. Is. An. Emergency. Approval. Experimental. Vaccine. You guys act like it's as safe as salt tablets. It may be... but we currently don't know that.

I say don't stop at the headline.

"In June, the FDA added a warning label for the Pfizer and Moderna shots — both known as mRNA vaccines — about increased risk of myocarditis, but emphasized that the virus itself presents a much greater threat of heart complications than vaccine-related complications."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Pfizer’s will likely fully approved by the FDA tomorrow morning. Will that influence your position?

Edited by Gowebb11

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

let me also add that attendance at church is dropping almost at an alarming rate. goog;e it and be very surprised because it is fact. my personal opinion is too much hate coming out but there might be more indicators. there are churches teaching libs are evil. the only good gay person is pretty much one who has been sent to some kind of school to brainwash them into being normal. how many blacks go to your church? before you start on folks you might want to look in the mirror.

Just now, CleCoTiger said:

I say don't stop at the headline.

"In June, the FDA added a warning label for the Pfizer and Moderna shots — both known as mRNA vaccines — about increased risk of myocarditis, but emphasized that the virus itself presents a much greater threat of heart complications than vaccine-related complications."

Which is, of course, also an unproven opinion. Some of you guys are so uncomfortable at the thought of admitting this vaccine is a longterm unknown. That's just the harsh reality. And it skipping the trial line is a very valid reason to make someone hesitant.

It's like you guys have never heard of class action lawsuits. 

• Like 1

guys covid is sars which has been around twenty or so years. it did not just pop up out of nowhere and they have feared this is coming. right now in america more people have died of covid than people in the viet nam war.

3 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

It will likely fully approved by the FDA tomorrow morning. Will that influence your position?

Sure. Then people can at least sue. I'm being serious when I say that. It will at least give people recourse if it goes wrong down the road. 

12 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

There's a difference between aiding the performance of someone playing a kid's game and forcing someone to make an important medical decision for the sake of that same kid's game. 

Nobody is being forced to do anything, other than the SEC forcing any team without the required rate of vaccination to be tested 3 times each week, contact trace and the like.  Ask yourself, why would a panel of medical doctors be so insisting that players be immunized? Do they secretly want to harm the student athletes? We should all know better than that.  Of course, someone will say they know a doctor somewhere in the land of Puff, the magic dragon, that tells his patients to not get vaccinated.

4 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Which is, of course, also an unproven opinion. Some of you guys are so uncomfortable at the thought of admitting this vaccine is a longterm unknown. That's just the harsh reality. And it skipping the trial line is a very valid reason to make someone hesitant.

It's like you guys have never heard of class action lawsuits. 

Mainly because it is not a long term unknown.  Also, who told you it skipped clinical trials?  That is a lie.  Trials are well documented.

https://www.uab.edu/news/health/item/12143-three-things-to-know-about-the-long-term-side-effects-of-covid-vaccines

• Like 1

358 children have died from covid so far and they say this one is worse with another one on the way. this is fact and i am betting the number goes way up. that was of july 29.

Edited by aubiefifty