Allen Greene needs to step up concerning vaccinations

Eagle Eye 7

4 hours ago, Butthead said:

Typical. Don’t like the statistics so question my intelligence. 

I questioned your intelligence because you used statistics you didn’t understand. I doubly question it after the guy told you how you misused them and you doubled down lol 

• Haha 2
  • Dislike 1

COVID is not the flu.....it is much more serious than that. Some of you posting against the vaccine are basing your fears on ignorance. That's the simple truth. You can argue back and forth all you want, but misinformation and lack of understanding is still the core problem. Instead of looking at the scientific facts, you look to questionable sources to find false information so that your bias will be supported. There has been research performed all over the world. I can guarantee that these scientists from all different cultures are not involved some giant conspiracy to harm any of you. These researchers have done an amazing thing and have saved millions of lives. 

Even if you or someone you love "recovers", there can be serious long term damage from a bout with COVID. That alone is a good enough reason to get vaccinated. 

https://www.researchhub.com/paper/1266004/cognitive-deficits-in-people-who-have-recovered-from-covid-19

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Butthead said:

If the CDC came out tomorrow and told some of you the protocol was to have a new vax every Tuesday for the next 6 months, you guys would be fighting for a spot in line. 

Fortunately, neither you or Beavis runs the CDC. :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

I wish people would just admit, and I know they know they sound stupid, they value random nobodies with no medical verification or expertise over the medical community. Just start the conversation with admitting how nonsensical you are, and people would have less material to make fun of you 

• Like 4
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I questioned your intelligence because you used statistics you didn’t understand. I doubly question it after the guy told you how you misused them and you doubled down lol 

Thanks for your concern but I understand them just fine. Would it be nice to have totals which consider the total number of actual cases?  Sure but that does not exist or at least does not exist in reliable numbers. If you like we can both post our CVs and let others compare what we’ve done with our Alabama schooling. 

25 minutes ago, Butthead said:

If the CDC came out tomorrow and told some of you the protocol was to have a new vax every Tuesday for the next 6 months, you guys would be fighting for a spot in line. 

Meanwhile if some random shmuck on YouTube told you to take a horse parasite paste up the butt every 6 months because "it's proven", y'all would be lubing yourself on a frequent basis.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Beyond nonsensical. This. Is. An. Emergency. Approval. Experimental. Vaccine. You guys act like it's as safe as salt tablets. It may be... but we currently don't know that.

What do you think when you see a headline like this? How do you rationalize it? 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/08/19/moderna-vaccine-myocarditis/

Yeah. but it wouldn't have been approved if it didn't go through the rigour that vaccines go through... it hasn't gone through the long term testing for adolescents that's why its not approved? ITs not experimental??? It is safe or it wouldn't have been approved, it cannot be any more clear than that. FDA is approving the vaccine from Phizer and I'm sure Moderna will be followed shortly. That article says.... its very uncommon! Sure, if you have health issues you may have different risks that someone who doesn't... but its very unlikely. But your health issues may affect you any way. But that's besides the point. Every major vaccine over the course of history was new! lol. but it wouldn't have been put into the world to kill us. lol. There are freaking hundreds of millions of people taking it because its a vaccine designed for this. Its not nonsense. It makes all of the sense in the world.

Why is Nick Saban promoting it? Because he knows he can win when all of his players are vaccinated and they have a better chance of not getting sick by taking it.!! He doesn't want to forfeit games or even have the potential for his players to deal with issues. We're not in that position, so if our coach cares about his players....really talks to doctors, they will all tell them the risk for these folks are a no brainer... just like any other vaccine. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AUTigerTime said:

Meanwhile if some random shmuck on YouTube told you to take a horse parasite paste up the butt every 6 months because "it's proven", y'all would be lubing yourself on a frequent basis.

Amusing but not true. Some of us just understand the fundamental limitation of any institution making group recommendations to a country of 330 plus million people.  They are likely right for the majority but that does not make it right for everyone. I am not anti vax or anti CDC or anything else. But I am also not a sheep. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CleCoTiger said:

Watch the video my man. I know you didnt.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Butthead said:

Amusing but not true. Some of us just understand the fundamental limitation of any institution making group recommendations to a country of 330 plus million people.  They are likely right for the majority but that does not make it right for everyone. I am not anti vax or anti CDC or anything else. But I am also not a sheep. 

I just want to know what your solution is. Hospitals are overcrowed and people with other medical issues are not able to get proper care. So what is your solution to reducing the crisis in the hospitals. Because i only know of 3 things:

1. Limiting spread of spit/particulate by using masks
  2. Limiting spread of spit/particulate by social distancing, closing mass gatherings, and limiting building occupancy.
  3. Vaccine which has shown that less one percent of people being hospitalized are vaccinated at this point.

So if you don't like any of those 3 options, what is your solution to reduce loads over the next month?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

Watch the video my man. I know you didnt.

Huh. I don't believe in psychics. Careful of what you claim to "know."

The point the video was making is that the vaccine is supposed to pin a spherical protein in the arm however it can shear off and move through the body. 

I had the vaccine and experienced an acute pain into the base of my skull within 1-3 hours after receiving it. Lasted a few days. My coworker experienced the same. While another coworker experienced extreme arm pain and couldnt continue to work. At the time I googled side effects and didnt see anything with those symptoms so I wrote it off.

10 minutes ago, AUTigerTime said:

I just want to know what your solution is. Hospitals are overcrowed and people with other medical issues are not able to get proper care. So what is your solution to reducing the crisis in the hospitals. Because i only know of 3 things:

1. Limiting spread of spit/particulate by using masks
  2. Limiting spread of spit/particulate by social distancing, closing mass gatherings, and limiting building occupancy.
  3. Vaccine which has shown that less one percent of people being hospitalized are vaccinated at this point.

So if you don't like any of those 3 options, what is your solution to reduce loads over the next month?

Those with risk factors should get vaccinated and limit contact with others until the CDC and others figure out how this thing mutates and how long the effects of the vaccine generally stay in your body. Everyone else should live life. You are not guaranteed even one more day on earth. If you think you have been exposed or are feeling sick stay home. Otherwise live your life and try to take care of those who cannot. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, toddc said:

Poppy cock!

White Evangelical Resistance Is Obstacle in Vaccination Effort

Millions of white evangelical adults in the U.S. do not intend to get vaccinated against Covid-19. Tenets of faith and mistrust of science play a role; so does politics.

A nurse preparing a dose of the Moderna Covid vaccine in Los Angeles.Credit...Allison Zaucha for The New York Times

By Elizabeth Dias and Ruth Graham

Published April 5, 2021Updated April 12, 2021

Leer en español

Stephanie Nana, an evangelical Christian in Edmond, Okla., refused to get a Covid-19 vaccine because she believed it contained “aborted cell tissue.”

Nathan French, who leads a nondenominational ministry in Tacoma, Wash., said he received a divine message that God was the ultimate healer and deliverer: “The vaccine is not the savior.”

Lauri Armstrong, a Bible-believing nutritionist outside of Dallas, said she did not need the vaccine because God designed the body to heal itself, if given the right nutrients. More than that, she said, “It would be God’s will if I am here or if I am not here.”

Advertisement

Continue reading the main story

The deeply held spiritual convictions or counterfactual arguments may vary. But across white evangelical America, reasons not to get vaccinated have spread as quickly as the virus that public health officials are hoping to overcome through herd immunity.

Michigan Surge

Gov. Whitmer, a Democrat, locked down her state over the din of protests last year. Now she is trying a different approach, appealing to personal responsibility.

The opposition is rooted in a mix of religious faith and a longstanding wariness of mainstream science, and it is fueled by broader cultural distrust of institutions and gravitation to online conspiracy theories. The sheer size of the community poses a major problem for the country’s ability to recover from a pandemic that has resulted in the deaths of half a million Americans. And evangelical ideas and instincts have a way of spreading, even internationally.

There are about 41 million white evangelical adults in the U.S. About 45 percent said in late February that they would not get vaccinated against Covid-19, making them among the least likely demographic groups to do so, according to the Pew Research Center.

“If we can’t get a significant number of white evangelicals to come around on this, the pandemic is going to last much longer than it needs to,” said Jamie Aten, founder and executive director of the Humanitarian Disaster Institute at Wheaton College, an evangelical institution in Illinois.

As vaccines become more widely available, and as worrisome virus variants develop, the problem takes on new urgency. Significant numbers of Americans generally are resistant to getting vaccinated, but white evangelicals present unique challenges because of their complex web of moral, medical, and political objections. The challenge is further complicated by longstanding distrust between evangelicals and the scientific community.

Editors’ Picks

Last Stop on the Way to the Cosmos? No Thanks.

20 Wines Under $20: For When the Weather Is Sultry

What Gentrification Means for Black Homeowners

Advertisement

“Would I say that all public health agencies have the information that they need to address their questions and concerns? Probably not,” said Dr. Julie Morita, the executive vice president of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and a former Chicago public health commissioner.

No clear data is available about vaccine hesitancy among evangelicals of other racial groups. But religious reasoning often spreads beyond white churches.

Vice President Kamala Harris met with religious leaders recently, urging them to encourage their communities to take the Covid-19 vaccine.Credit...Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

Many high-profile conservative pastors and institutional leaders have endorsed the vaccines. Franklin Graham told his 9.6 million Facebook followers that Jesus would advocate for vaccination. Pastor Robert Jeffress commended it from an anti-abortion perspective on Fox News. (“We talk about life inside the womb being a gift from God. Well, life outside the womb is a gift from God, too.”) The president of the Southern Baptist Convention, J.D. Greear, tweeted a photo of himself receiving a shot.

But other influential voices in the sprawling, trans-denominational movement, especially those who have gained their stature through media fame, have sown fears. Gene Bailey, the host of a prophecy-focused talk show on the Victory Channel, warned his audience in March that the government and “globalist entities” will “use bayonets and prisons to force a needle into your arm.” In a now-deleted TikTok post from an evangelical influencer’s account that has more than 900,000 followers, she dramatized being killed by authorities for refusing the vaccine.

Dr. Simone Gold, a prominent Covid-19 skeptic who was charged with violent entry and disorderly conduct in the Jan. 6 Capitol siege, told an evangelical congregation in Florida that they were in danger of being “coerced into taking an experimental biological agent.”

The evangelical radio host Eric Metaxas wrote “Don’t get the vaccine” in a tweet on March 28 that has since been deleted. “Pass it on,” he wrote.

Advertisement

Some evangelicals across ethnicity believe that any Covid restrictions — including mask mandates and restrictions on in-person church worship — constitute oppression.

And some have been energized by what they see as a battle between faith and fear, and freedom and persecution.

“Fear is the motivating power behind all of this, and fear is the opposite of who God is,” said Teresa Beukers, who said she is Mexican-American and travels throughout California in a motor home. “I violently oppose fear.”

The Coronavirus Pandemic ›

Latest Updates

Updated 

Aug. 22, 2021, 1:00 p.m. ET2 hours ago

2 hours ago

A Big Ten school takes stock of its Covid testing plan.

Gov. Greg Abbott of Texas says he tests negative for coronavirus.

The fourth wave of the coronavirus throws doubt into travel.

Ms. Beukers foresees severe political and social consequences for resisting the vaccine, but she is determined to do so. She quit a job at Trader Joe’s when the company insisted that she wear a mask at work. Her son, she said, was kicked off his community college football team for refusing Covid testing protocols.

“Go ahead and throw us in the lions’ den, go ahead and throw us in the furnace,” she said, referring to two biblical stories in which God’s people miraculously survive persecution after refusing to submit to temporal powers.

Jesus, she added, broke ritual purity laws by interacting with lepers. “We can compare that to people who are unvaccinated,” she said. “If they get pushed out, they’ll need to live in their own colonies.”

One widespread concern among evangelicals is the vaccines’ ties to abortion. In reality, the connection is remote: Some of the vaccines were developed and tested using cells derived from the fetal tissue of elective abortions that took place decades ago.

Advertisement

The vaccines do not include fetal tissue, and no additional abortions are required to manufacture them. Still, the kernel of a connection has metastasized online into false rumors about human remains or fetal DNA being an ingredient in the vaccines.

Some evangelicals see the vaccine as a redemptive outcome for the original aborted fetus.

The Vatican has said that vaccines are “morally acceptable,” and Catholics in America are much less likely than white evangelicals to say they won’t get vaccinated. Pope Francis visited a vaccination site in the Vatican on Friday.Credit...Vatican Media

Some Catholic bishops have expressed concerns about the abortion link, too. But the Vatican has concluded the vaccines are “morally acceptable,” and has emphasized the immediate danger posed by the virus. Just 22 percent of Catholics in America say they will not get the vaccine, less than half the share of white evangelicals who say that.

White evangelicals who do not plan to get vaccinated sometimes say they see no need, because they do not feel at risk. Rates of Covid-19 death have been about twice as high for Black, Hispanic, and Native Americans as for white Americans.

White pastors have largely remained quiet. That’s in part because the wariness among white conservative Christians is not just medical, but also political. If white pastors encourage vaccination directly, said Dr. Aten, “there are people in the pews where you’ve just attacked their political party, and maybe their whole worldview.”

Dr. Morita, of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, said the method to reach white evangelicals is similar to building vaccine confidence in other groups: Listen to their concerns and questions, and then provide information that they can understand from people they trust.

Understand the State of Vaccine and Mask Mandates in the U.S.

Mask rules. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in July recommended that all Americans, regardless of vaccination status, wear masks in indoor public places within areas experiencing outbreaks, a reversal of the guidance it offered in May. See where the C.D.C. guidance would apply, and where states have instituted their own mask policies. The battle over masks has become contentious in some states, with some local leaders defying state bans.

Vaccine rules . . . and businesses. Private companies are increasingly mandating coronavirus vaccines for employees, with varying approaches. Such mandates are legally allowed and have been upheld in court challenges.

College and universities. More than 400 colleges and universities are requiring students to be vaccinated against Covid-19. Almost all are in states that voted for President Biden.

Schools. On Aug. 11, California announced that it would require teachers and staff of both public and private schools to be vaccinated or face regular testing, the first state in the nation to do so. A survey released in August found that many American parents of school-age children are opposed to mandated vaccines for students, but were more supportive of mask mandates for students, teachers and staff members who do not have their shots.  

Hospitals and medical centers. Many hospitals and major health systems are requiring employees to get a Covid-19 vaccine, citing rising caseloads fueled by the Delta variant and stubbornly low vaccination rates in their communities, even within their work force.

New York. On Aug. 3, Mayor Bill de Blasio of New York announced that proof of vaccination would be required of workers and customers for indoor dining, gyms, performances and other indoor situations, becoming the first U.S. city to require vaccines for a broad range of activities. City hospital workers must also get a vaccine or be subjected to weekly testing. Similar rules are in place for New York State employees.

At the federal level. The Pentagon announced that it would seek to make coronavirus vaccinations mandatory for the country’s 1.3 million active-duty troops “no later” than the middle of September. President Biden announced that all civilian federal employees would have to be vaccinated against the coronavirus or submit to regular testing, social distancing, mask requirements and restrictions on most travel.

But a public education campaign alone may not be enough.

There has been a “sea change” over the past century in how evangelical Christians see science, a change rooted largely in the debates over evolution and the secularization of the academy, said Elaine Ecklund, professor of sociology and director of the Religion and Public Life Program at Rice University.

Advertisement

There are two parts to the problem, she said: The scientific community has not been as friendly toward evangelicals, and the religious community has not encouraged followers to pursue careers in science.

Distrust of scientists has become part of cultural identity, of what it means to be white and evangelical in America, she said.

For slightly different reasons, the distrust is sometimes shared by Asian, Hispanic and Black Christians, who are skeptical that hospitals and medical professionals will be sensitive to their concerns, Dr. Ecklund said.

“We are seeing some of the implications of the inequalities in science,” she said. “This is an enormous warning of the fact that we do not have a more diverse scientific work force, religiously and racially.”

Among evangelicals, Pentecostal and charismatic Christians may be particularly wary of the vaccine, in part because their tradition historically emphasizes divine health and miraculous healing in ways that can rival traditional medicine, said Erica Ramirez, a scholar of Pentecostalism and director of applied research at Auburn Seminary. Charismatic churches also attract significant shares of Black and Hispanic Christians.

Dr. Ramirez compares modern Pentecostalism to Gwyneth Paltrow’s Goop, with the brand’s emphasis on “wellness” and “energy” that infuriates some scientists: “It’s extra-medical,” she said. “It’s not anti-medical, but it decenters medicine.”

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Dr. Anthony Fauci are not going to be able to persuade evangelicals, according to Curtis Chang, a consulting professor at Duke Divinity School who is leading an outreach project to educate evangelicals about the vaccine.

Advertisement

The project includes a series of short, shareable videos for pastors, answering questions like “How can Christians spot fake news on the vaccine?” and “Is the vaccine the Mark of the Beast?” The latter refers to an apocalyptic theory that the Antichrist will force his sign onto everyone at the end of the world.

These are questions that secular public health entities are not equipped to answer, he said. “The even deeper problem is, the white evangelicals aren’t even on their screen.”

Mr. Chang said he recently spoke with a colleague in Uganda whose hospital had received 5,000 vaccine doses, but had only been able to administer about 400, because of the hesitancy of the heavily evangelical population.

“How American evangelicals think, write, feel about issues quickly replicates throughout the entire world,” he said.

At this critical moment, even pastors struggle to know how to reach their flocks. Joel Rainey, who leads Covenant Church in Shepherdstown, W.Va., said several colleagues were forced out of their churches after promoting health and vaccination guidelines.

Politics has increasingly been shaping faith among white evangelicals, rather than the other way around, he said. Pastors’ influence on their churches is decreasing. “They get their people for one hour, and Sean Hannity gets them for the next 20,” he said.

Mr. Rainey helped his own Southern Baptist congregation get ahead of false information by publicly interviewing medical experts — a retired colonel specializing in infectious disease, a church member who is a Walter Reed logistics management analyst, and a church elder who is a nurse for the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Advertisement

On the worship stage, in front of the praise band’s drum set, he asked them “all of the questions that a follower of Jesus might have,” he said later.

“It is necessary for pastors to instruct their people that we don’t always have to be adversaries with the culture around us,” he said. “We believe Jesus died for those people, so why in the world would we see them as adversaries?”

Editors’ Note: April 6, 2021

An earlier version of this article included a photograph of an anti-vaccine protest in Atlanta. Although some protesters carried signs featuring Bible verses, the event was organized by a group that is not religiously affiliated.

Editors’ Note: April 6, 2021

This article was updated to include Teresa Beukers’ ethnicity.

Elizabeth Dias covers faith and politics from Washington. She previously covered a similar beat for Time magazine. @elizabethjdias

1 hour ago, toddc said:

Poppy cock!

religionnews.com

In many COVID hot spots, a pattern: High concentrations of white evangelicals

8-10 minutes

(RNS) — As COVID-19 cases surge again, two things are true about many counties considered hot spots: Vaccination rates are low and white evangelical Protestant populations are high, according to a new data analysis.

Concern about vaccine hesitancy or outright anti-vaccine sentiment among white evangelicals has persisted since at least March, when, according to a poll from Pew Research Center, those who said they were Christian and born-again were far more likely than any other religious group to say they definitely or probably would not get a vaccine.

A full 45% of white evangelicals fit this description. The next-closest religious classification (Americans who list their religious affiliation as “nothing in particular”) was a full 9 points lower at 36%, which was also the national average.

A separate poll, conducted in April by the Public Religion Research Institute and Interfaith Youth Core, reported that white evangelicals also have the highest rate of vaccine “refusers” (26%) — people who firmly state they will not get vaccinated — compared with other religious groups.

An association between low vaccination rates and evangelical faith was further confirmed this week by researchers at PRRI. In data provided to RNS, analysts pulled from the group’s “2020 Census of American Religion,” overlaying county-level data about faith on top of vaccination rates compiled by the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

RELATED: Survey: White mainline Protestants outnumber white evangelicals, while ‘nones’ shrink

In May, the White House cautioned against any attempt to “typecast” faith groups, but federal officials such as Anthony Fauci, chief medical adviser to President Joe Biden, have repeatedly named faith leaders as potential vaccine ambassadors.

Speaking during an interview on CBS’ “Face the Nation” over the weekend, Fauci said the White House is encouraging nongovernment “trusted messengers” to champion the vaccine — including local clergy. 

National Institutes of Health Director Dr. Francis Collins, himself an evangelical Christian, pleaded with his fellow faithful last month to get vaccinated. Overwhelming evidence, he said, indicates COVID-19 vaccines authorized for use in the U.S. not only dramatically reduce the likelihood of contracting the disease, but lessen the chance of hospitalization and death.

“We need everybody to line up behind this goal, recognizing this isn’t about pleasing Joe Biden, because a lot of evangelicals are not that interested in pleasing Joe Biden,” he said. “This is about saving lives.”

Some evangelical leaders have also launched efforts to combat vaccine skepticism in their congregations. Russell Moore, a former Southern Baptist Convention official, told Religion News Service: “Evangelical Christians should be leading the way in thanking God for the cure we spent a year praying for. The least we can do is get our shots so that we can carry on our mission in our communities, without fear of getting anyone sick. Our gospel witness should be contagious; we shouldn’t be.”

Despite efforts to promote the vaccine, new data suggests white evangelicals make up a higher share of the population in counties where vaccination rates are low. This is particularly true in portions of the Southeast and rural Midwest such as Missouri, where scientists have detected surges in COVID-19 cases linked to the more transmissible delta variant of the virus.

In this 2018 photo, the congregation of James River Church in Joplin, Missouri, participates in a praise hymn. Photo by Joshua Sorenson/Unsplash/Creative Commons

PRRI’s researchers found the population of white evangelicals to be especially high in Missouri counties where COVID-19 vaccination rates for people age 12 or older were 20% or lower. There, members of the faith group make up 49% of the population on average. In counties with vaccination rates between 20% and 40%, white evangelicals constitute 42% of the populace.

In counties where vaccination rates ranged from 40% to 60%, white evangelicals’ share of the population plummeted to 30%.

“It’s clear that the pattern is more white evangelical Protestants equals lower vaccination rates,” said Natalie Jackson, PRRI’s research director.

The data matches local surveys conducted by the Missouri Hospital Association. When the group released data in April, the only faith group it singled out was white evangelicals, indicating 38% were vaccine hesitant. Experts believe the sentiment can have dire consequences: According to a recent analysis from The Washington Post, hospitalizations due to COVID-19 — as well as case rates overall — are strongly correlated with low vaccination rates.

Missouri hospitals have been overrun with a surge in COVID-19 cases in recent weeks, with hospitals requesting extra ventilators and bringing in traveling nurses to handle the caseload. As ICU units swell, Steve Edwards, CEO of Missouri-based hospital system CoxHealth, has pleaded with locals to get vaccinated.

“Begging people to take the vaccine while there is still time,” he tweeted Friday (July 9). “If you could see the exhaustion in the eyes of our nurses who keep zipping up body bags, we beg you.”

Similarly, Moore told RNS he has spoken with evangelical doctors “discouraged to the point of exhaustion by the low rates of vaccination among sectors of our fellow Christians,” despite pleading for people to get vaccinated.

The explosion of cases has already bled into nearby Arkansas, where low vaccination rates also track with high average white evangelical populations. In the one county with a vaccination rate under 20%, white evangelicals make up 47% of the population. For counties in the 20% to 40% range, white evangelicals average 46%, but that dips to 35% in counties with vaccination rates between 40% and 60%.

RELATED: Health experts, faith leaders and White House target the ‘movable’ on vaccines

The pattern may be set to repeat in Tennessee, one of several states that have seen a sharp uptick in cases over the last week. In counties with vaccination rates at 20% or lower, PRRI’s analysis found that white evangelicals make up 50% of the population on average. Roughly the same was true for counties in the 20% to 40% vaccination range, where evangelicals make up 51% of the population. But in counties with 40% to 60% vaccination rates, the number shrinks to just 43%.

In Florida — which has seen the greatest percentage increase in COVID-19 cases over the past week, according to The Washington Post — vaccination rates overall have been higher than in other parts of the Southeast, with none below 20%. But white evangelicals remain best represented in the lowest tier: In counties with 20% to 40% of eligible people vaccinated, white evangelicals make up 36% of the population on average.

In the 40% to 60% range, white evangelicals make up 20% of the counties’ populations. In the 60% or above range, they constitute just 13% of the population on average.

The pattern is less pronounced in northern states. Take Maine, where white evangelicals are less represented and COVID-19 vaccination rates are high; none of its counties report vaccination rates under 40%. Of those counties in the 40% to 60% range for vaccination rates, white evangelicals make up 22% of the population on average. Of those above 60%, evangelicals constitute around 19%.

White evangelicals are hardly the only holdouts against COVID-19 vaccination. Other faith groups such as Black Protestants, Hispanic Protestants and white mainline Protestants have also expressed various degrees of vaccine hesitancy or anti-vaccine sentiment when polled. In addition, White House officials are targeting new vaccination efforts at younger Americans, who exhibit lower vaccination rates compared with their elders.

There may also be overlapping issues: In Missouri, counties with spiking COVID-19 cases skew rural, where health care access is often more limited.

But for many, religion’s role is undeniable. CoxHealth released a video last month of a hospitalized COVID-19 patient named Russell Taylor. Speaking to an offscreen interviewer, Taylor explains he did not get vaccinated because he was “skeptical,” adding that his stance on contracting COVID-19 amounted to “Well, if God allows it, it must be.”

Taylor, wearing a hospital gown and speaking between labored breaths, goes on to outline how he contracted the virus that attacked his lungs and left him bedridden for weeks. He insists he now supports vaccination for himself and his entire family — a position that he, again, roots in his faith.

“My stance on that is: God made medicine too,” he says.

.................................................................................................................................................................................................

how many more you want? you assume a lot for someone apparently does not have a clue? why would i lie or make this up?educate yourself. you people think i have an axe to grind with religion but it is just not true.

1 hour ago, toddc said:

Poppy cock!

thehill.com

Nearly one-quarter of white evangelicals refuse COVID-19 vaccine: study | TheHill

Lexi Lonas

2 minutes

Almost one-quarter of white evangelicals were refusing to take the coronavirus vaccine as of June, according to data released this week by the Public Religion Research Institute and Interfaith Youth Core.

The two organizations have tracked vaccine hesitancy in different religious groups since March and saw double-digit increases among all faith groups from March to June.

White evangelical Protestants remain the most likely to refuse to get the vaccine at 24 percent. White evangelical Protestants and Hispanic Protestants hit the bottom of the pack for agreeing to get vaccinated with both at 56 percent, a more than 10 point increase for both groups since March.

The rate of vaccination has slowed in the U.S. as health officials struggle to overcome vaccine hesitancy.

The U.S. has 49 percent of its population fully vaccinated, according to data from Johns Hopkins.

Hispanic Catholics had the biggest jump in vaccine acceptance and led the pack, with 80 percent trusting the vaccines in June. White Catholics followed at 79 percent acceptance.

Black Protestants and Latter-Day Saints had an acceptance rate of 66 percent and 65 percent, respectively.

Religiously unaffiliated individuals were in the middle, at 75 percent.

The survey was conducted June 7-23 among 5,123 individuals. The margin of error is 1.65 percentage points.

As the delta variant continues to spread across the U.S., most of the hospitalizations and the overwhelming number of COVID-19 deaths come from unvaccinated individuals.

The increase in cases has prompted the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to recommend vaccinated individuals wear masks in areas where there is high transmission of the virus.

Updated at 4:23 p.m.

you need to think before you pop off if you do not know what you are talking about. i can do this all day. and if you read the articles you are putting your fellow americans in harms way as well.

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I wish people would just admit, and I know they know they sound stupid, they value random nobodies with no medical verification or expertise over the medical community. Just start the conversation with admitting how nonsensical you are, and people would have less material to make fun of you 

Amen. I’m convinced if Albert Einstein we’re still alive Americans with a GED level education would passionately argue with him about physics. While using internet memes, bumper stickers, and Facebook videos as their proof source. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Amen. I’m convinced if Albert Einstein we’re still alive Americans with a GED level education would passionately argue with him about physics. While using internet memes, bumper stickers, and Facebook videos as their proof source. 

Darwin works in mysterious ways.

• Haha 3

Rachel Maddow Rips Fox News For Pushing 'Horse Dewormer' For COVID Treatment

Mary Papenfuss
3 minutes

MSNBC host Rachel Maddow blasted Fox News on Friday night for promoting a livestock dewormer as a treatment for COVID-19.

Calls to poison control centers in Mississippi are on the rise due to individuals ingesting the drug ivermectin, which is commonly used to eradicate and prevent parasites in livestock.

“People won’t take the vaccine because they’re super suspicious of that. But they’re taking horse deworming medication that they’re buying at a feed store? For COVID?” asked Maddow. “Why, on top of everything else Mississippi has to deal with right now, why are they dealing with this?”

“I have a guess,” she added, before playing a series of clips of Fox News personalities — including Tucker Carlson and Sean Hannity — promoting ivermectin. Hannity pushed the drug as one of the “proactive treatments and practices that are already helping COVID-19 patients all across the country.”

Mississippi is currently struggling with the highest rate of COVID-19 cases and the lowest rate of vaccination in the country.

Meanwhile, “Fox News is busy saying, ‘Don’t take the vaccine, but do take this horse deworming medication, trust us, it is proven,’” said Maddow.

She went on to note that the Food and Drug Administration, the National Institutes of Health, and the World Health Organization all say “do not take ivermectin for COVID.”

Ivermectin should not be used against COVID, nor are livestock doses safe for people. In fact, Mississippi Health Department officials issued a warning: “Do not use ivermectin products made for animals. Animal doses are not safe for humans.” 

Mississippi State Health Officer Dr. Thomas Dobbs said in a press briefing earlier this week, “You wouldn’t get your chemotherapy at a feed store. You wouldn’t treat your pneumonia with your animal’s medication,” 

Though ivermectin is commonly used to treat livestock, far smaller dose tablets have been approved by the FDA to treat conditions caused by parasitic worms in people. Topical forms are also approved to treat head lice and rosacea in humans.

But high doses of ivermectin products for animals “can be highly toxic in humans,” the FDA warned, even deadly.

Using any drugs not approved by the FDA to treat COVID-19 can “cause serious harm,” the agency said

Also on HuffPost

This article originally appeared on HuffPost and has been updated.

this is why i do not listen to fox news. talk about hogwash..............

Edited by aubiefifty

18 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

Rachel Maddow Rips Fox News For Pushing 'Horse Dewormer' For COVID Treatment

Mary Papenfuss
3 minutes

MSNBC host Rachel Maddow blasted Fox News on Friday night for promoting a livestock dewormer as a treatment for COVID-19.

Calls to poison control centers in Mississippi are on the rise due to individuals ingesting the drug ivermectin, which is commonly used to eradicate and prevent parasites in livestock.

“People won’t take the vaccine because they’re super suspicious of that. But they’re taking horse deworming medication that they’re buying at a feed store? For COVID?” asked Maddow. “Why, on top of everything else Mississippi has to deal with right now, why are they dealing with this?”

“I have a guess,” she added, before playing a series of clips of Fox News personalities — including Tucker Carlson and Sean Hannity — promoting ivermectin. Hannity pushed the drug as one of the “proactive treatments and practices that are already helping COVID-19 patients all across the country.”

Mississippi is currently struggling with the highest rate of COVID-19 cases and the lowest rate of vaccination in the country.

Meanwhile, “Fox News is busy saying, ‘Don’t take the vaccine, but do take this horse deworming medication, trust us, it is proven,’” said Maddow.

She went on to note that the Food and Drug Administration, the National Institutes of Health, and the World Health Organization all say “do not take ivermectin for COVID.”

Ivermectin should not be used against COVID, nor are livestock doses safe for people. In fact, Mississippi Health Department officials issued a warning: “Do not use ivermectin products made for animals. Animal doses are not safe for humans.” 

Mississippi State Health Officer Dr. Thomas Dobbs said in a press briefing earlier this week, “You wouldn’t get your chemotherapy at a feed store. You wouldn’t treat your pneumonia with your animal’s medication,” 

Though ivermectin is commonly used to treat livestock, far smaller dose tablets have been approved by the FDA to treat conditions caused by parasitic worms in people. Topical forms are also approved to treat head lice and rosacea in humans.

But high doses of ivermectin products for animals “can be highly toxic in humans,” the FDA warned, even deadly.

Using any drugs not approved by the FDA to treat COVID-19 can “cause serious harm,” the agency said

Also on HuffPost

This article originally appeared on HuffPost and has been updated.

this is why i do not listen to fox news. talk about hogwash..............

But you read the Huff Post?  You cannot make this s*** up. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Butthead said:

Those with risk factors should get vaccinated and limit contact with others until the CDC and others figure out how this thing mutates and how long the effects of the vaccine generally stay in your body. Everyone else should live life. You are not guaranteed even one more day on earth. If you think you have been exposed or are feeling sick stay home. Otherwise live your life and try to take care of those who cannot. 

While those that have risk factors are more likely to have issues, this virus is still taking down people in number that have ZERO risk factors. So your mitigation strategy is not going to work.

I personally know of a couple that are both body builders. He recently won a state level championship here in TN in the weeks prior.  She is probably mid 30s and he's around 40. They are both elite athletes with zero comorbidities otherwise. They were both hospitalized. He was hospitalized for 2 weeks and nearly died.

Edited by AUTigerTime

1 hour ago, Butthead said:

You take care of others by everyone (not at risk for allergic reactions) taking the vaccine, reaching herd immunity and eliminating the pandemic.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

5 minutes ago, bdc81 said:

You take care of others by everyone (not at risk for allergic reactions) taking the vaccine, reaching herd immunity and eliminating the pandemic.

I’ll do it my way. 

7 minutes ago, AUTigerTime said:

While those that have risk factors are more likely to have issues, this virus is still taking down people in number that have ZERO risk factors. So your mitigation strategy is not going to work.

I personally know of a couple that are both body builders. He recently won a championship here in TN in the weeks prior.  She is probably mid 30s and he's around 40. They are both elite athletes with zero comorbidities otherwise. They were both hospitalized. He was hospitalized for 2 weeks and nearly died.

If they are elite bodybuilders they are not healthy. Especially at competition time. But I could give you anecdotal stories all day too.