Penn State's white out record

aubiefifty

14 minutes ago, cbo said:

I agree with your overall point, but Bo hasn't played in front of a real away crowd since 2019. His biggest those years were at LSU and FL and those games did not go well for him. I just think people are forgetting that. 

He still should be much better equipped to handle it at this point. 

1) He was a true freshman playing those environments

2) He had to work with Gus gameplans

3) One of those was against the eventual national champs on a really wet field.

He certainly has things to prove still under Harsin, but I refuse performances from a freshman at the time to a higher standard.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, PSUPat said:

Keep in mind home field advantage is factored into spread, but according to Vegas its about a 7-10 point advantage on a white out night, 5-7 for home field on other nights.  

Penn State was a losing team last year.   Auburn would be favored on a neutral field.  

Welcome, Pat. What’s your prediction?

7 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

He certainly has things to prove still under Harsin, but I refuse performances from a freshman at the time to a higher standard.

I completely agree, actually. Like I said, he's much better equipped at this point, due to experience and a real offense. 

Was pointing out that I keep seeing people inflate his experience on the road. Last year doesn't really count, when we are strictly discussing the affect of the crowd. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PSUPat said:

Keep in mind home field advantage is factored into spread, but according to Vegas its about a 7-10 point advantage on a white out night, 5-7 for home field on other nights.  

Penn State was a losing team last year.   Auburn would be favored on a neutral field.  

How many teams have you played in a white out, where the visitors wear all white unis? I almost think we would have a slight advantage there,  obviously the crowd is a clear advantage for PSU. I know tOSU wears silver.  Surprised PSU doesn't wear white as well for these. 

6 hours ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

It was something like that. It was becoming so blatantly bad that I was laughing at how many they were calling. 

I have to correct myself. It was only two PIs on the final drive...they were just so damn ticky tacky...and occurred at the most critical times...the 1st on 3rd & 11. The 2nd put them in FG position...

1st and 10 at LS24 C. Ed.-Helaire rush up middle for loss of 1 yard to the LS23 (Derrick Brown;Marlon Davidson).
2nd and 11 at LS23 Joe Burrow RST pass incomplete to Just. Jefferson.
3rd and 11 at LS23 Joe Burrow middle pass incomplete to Jonathan Giles, PENALTY AU pass interference (Jeremiah Dinson) 15 yards to the LS38, 1ST DOWN LS, NO PLAY.
1st and 10 at LS38 Joe Burrow LSL pass incomplete to Dee Anderson (Jamel Dean), QB hurry by Marlon Davidson.
2nd and 10 at LS38 Joe Burrow rush over left guard for 3 yards to the LS41 (Nick Coe).
3rd and 7 at LS41 Joe Burrow RSL pass complete to Dee Anderson for 8 yards to the LS49, 1ST DOWN LS, out-of-bounds.
1st and 10 at LS49 Joe Burrow LSL pass incomplete to Just. Jefferson, QB hurry by Deshaun Davis.
2nd and 10 at LS49 Joe Burrow rush up middle for 6 yards to the AU45 (Derrick Brown).
3rd and 4 at AU45 Joe Burrow rush up middle for loss of 3 yards to the AU48 (Deshaun Davis).
4th and 7 at AU48 Joe Burrow middle pass complete to Steph. Sullivan for 9 yards to the AU39, 1ST DOWN LS (Daniel Thomas).
1st and 10 at AU39 Joe Burrow LF pass incomplete to Jonathan Giles, QB hurry by M. Atkinson.
2nd and 10 at AU39 Joe Burrow LSL pass incomplete to Just. Jefferson (Jamel Dean), PENALTY AU pass interference (Jamel Dean) 15 yards to the AU24, 1ST DOWN LS, NO PLAY.
1st and 10 at AU24 Nick Brossette rush up middle for 3 yards to the AU21 (Da. Williams;M. Atkinson).
2nd and 7 at AU21 Nick Brossette rush up middle for no gain to the AU21 (Derrick Brown;Deshaun Davis).
3rd and 7 at AU21 Timeout Auburn, clock 00:28.
3rd and 7 at AU21 Nick Brossette rush up middle for loss of 3 yards to the AU24 (Deshaun Davis).
4th and 10 at AU24 Timeout LSU, clock 00:02.
4th and 10 at AU24 Cole Tracy field goal attempt from 42 GOOD, clock 00:00.
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

How many teams have you played in a white out, where the visitors wear all white unis? I almost think we would have a slight advantage there,  obviously the crowd is a clear advantage for PSU. I know tOSU wears silver.  Surprised PSU doesn't wear white as well for these. 

I dunno actually.   Obviously pretty much all wore white jerseys.  

I doubt going all white has any strategic advantage.   If anything a disadvantage if your qb loses recievers in the crowd.  But I doubt that, the field is green, lol.  

From a motivational standpoint, I think its a cool move.   Buy in and have fun with it.  

23 minutes ago, PSUPat said:

Prediction:   Low scoring, lots of defense.  

I'll go 21-13 good guys (PSU).  Probably reverse that score next year at your place.  

Y’all can stop a Tank? 😉

36 minutes ago, PSUPat said:

according to Vegas its about a 7-10 point advantage on a white out night

I don't buy that. Not with a .500 record...AT HOME. Home field advantages are always 3-7 points to an opening Vegas line, regardless of what the fans wear.

9 hours ago, psufan25 said:

Here is the full list of PSU's record in white out games. Note that not all of these games are full stadium whiteouts (some were just students) they only started doing the yearly stadium whiteouts in 2011. I've bolded the ones that were full stadium whiteouts. Note that the 2004 Purdue, 2011 Alabama, and 2015 Michigan games were noon or afternoon games and not night games. Also note that the 2009 Iowa game was in a monsoon (I was there, most rain I've ever seen at a PSU game) which basically muted the stadium whiteout effect. I have been to every one of these games except for 2004 and 2006. Illinois got it in 2008 because of how poor PSU's home schedule was that year. I forget the reason why Iowa got it over OSU in 2009.

PSU was the lower ranked team in all of these games except for 2007 through 2009, 2017, and 2019. PSU's record is not surprising given how much Ohio State 

Year Opponent Penn State result
2004 No. 9 Purdue

L 13–21

Purdue favored by 8.

2005 No. 6 Ohio State

W 17–10

OSU favored by 3.5

2006 No. 4 Michigan

L 10–17

Michigan favored by 5.

2007 Notre Dame

W 31–10

Penn St favored by 18

2008 No. 22 Illinois

W 38–24

Penn St. favored by 15

2009 Iowa

L 10–21

Penn St favored by 9.5

2010 Michigan

W 41–31

Michigan favored by 3

2011 No. 3 Alabama

L 11–27

Alabama favored by 10

2012 No. 9 Ohio State

L 23–35

OSU favored by 1

2013 No. 18 Michigan

W 43–40 (4OT)

Michigan favored by 1.5

2014 No. 13 Ohio State

L 24–31 (2OT)

OSU favored by 13.5

2015 No. 14 Michigan

L 16–28

Michigan favored by 3.5

2016 No. 2 Ohio State

W 24–21

OSU favored by 17.5

2017 No. 19 Michigan

W 42–13

Penn State favored by 7.5

2018 No. 4 Ohio State

L 26–27

OSU favored by 3.5

2019 No. 16 Michigan

W 28–21

Penn State favored by 7.5

Added spreads to above.   Penn St was the underdog in 11 out of 16 white outs.  

52 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Thanks for this. No doubt Bo hasn’t had a great road record but it’s not like he’s played those games against Vanderbilt and Missouri. It’s easy to forget that 3 months removed from high school he faced a ranked Oregon team in Jerry’s World, ran for a first down on fourth an forever, then heaved a game winning touchdown. Can’t imagine a much bigger stage for a true freshman’s first start. I hope Saturday breaks the jinx for Bo on the road. 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, PSUPat said:

I doubt going all white has any strategic advantage.   If anything a disadvantage if your qb loses recievers in the crowd.  But I doubt that, the field is green, lol.  

From a motivational standpoint, I think its a cool move.   Buy in and have fun with it.  

I wouldn't say we're leaning into it.  We always wear all white on the road (except at LSU, who chooses to wear white at home).

37 minutes ago, PSUPat said:

Agreed it probably doesn't do much one way or the other.  It is definitely something I like to see on TV.

So in perspective.  

16 total white outs.  

- won 4/5 when favored (loss was in a monsoon)

- won 4/11 as an underdog.

- worst loss was to eventual BCS champ Alabama by 16.    Who beat Auburn by 28.   Florida by 28.  And LSU by 21 in the natty game. 

- 7 of the opponents were in the top 10.  Underdog in all 7 of these.  Went 2-5 in those games.

- 6 of the opponents were ranked 10-25.  Favored in 3 of these.   Went 4-2.    

- 3 opponents were unranked.  PSU was a favorite in all 3.   Went 2-1 with the loss being to Iowa in a monsoon.  

Based on this you'd think we're a 10-20 type program with occasional top 10 years or something.  :)

2 hours ago, PSUPat said:

Added spreads to above.   Penn St was the underdog in 11 out of 16 white outs.  

Still doesn't change the fact that all opening Vegas CFB lines give 3-7 points for home field. Def not 7-10.

On a neutral field, this game would have opened as a pickem, with Auburn moving the line to a 1-2 point favorite.

Edited by Viper

1 hour ago, PSUPat said:

- worst loss was to eventual BCS champ Alabama by 16.    Who beat Auburn by 28.

Auburn lost THIRTY-SEVEN players off the 2010 team...not just the best offensive player in the entire nation...not just the best defensive player in the entire nation...but THIRTY-FIVE other players. Not even Nick Saban could withstand that number of attrition and win his conference the following season. That kind of attrition is unheard of.  It was HALF the team.

Auburn was DAMN fortunate to win 8 games in 2011. Miracle onside kick to beat Utah St. Held off Miss St with 1st & G at the 1-yard line with 18 seconds left. Somehow, scored 16 against Marcus Lattimore, Jadaveon Clowney, Melvin Ingram and South Carolina on the road and won. Next to 2013, it was Gus Malzahn's most impressive rebuild of an offense. Literally, we had TWO returning offensive starters in 2011. RB Mike Dyer, a Sophomore and Brandon Mosley, a Senior RT. On defense, we had ONE returning starter, Neiko Thorpe, who was by far our weakest link in 2010, getting burned consistently every game.

2011 bammer was a very good team, but they didn't destroy a good 2011 Auburn team. That was a patchwork team held together by gum and paper clips...as evidenced getting throttled by LSU by 35...and LSU stopped trying to score midway through the 3rd Q.

beat "Florida by 28." 2011 Auburn beat Florida by 11 and it wasn't that close. So no, don't act like 2011 Penn St. was a huge home field advantage against 2011 bammer. That game was a laugher going in. And it was a laugher like most every team they played, save for LSU regular season.

Edited by Viper
  • Like 2

I agree, point was it was was a good bammer team.  

Hey, we had bad years in there too.   Part of that 8-8 record is a few bad PSU teams still calling a whiteout against top teams.  Most of the time we play in these, we're underdogs, and they turn into dogfights.  

8 minutes ago, PSUPat said:

Hey, we had bad years in there too.   Part of that 8-8 record is a few bad PSU teams still calling a whiteout against top teams.  Most of the time we play in these, we're underdogs, and they turn into dogfights.  

Obviously Penn St chooses to go white out against their highest predicted toughest team on their schedule, no naturally it should not result with a resounding flawless record. However, it's still not an automatic 7-10 points according to Vegas. It's still an ordinary 3-7 point home-field advantage.

4 hours ago, PSUPat said:

Ha you call em bammer too. You ain't half bad

Auburn has a losing record to Alabama. But Auburn is 10-5 vs Bama at Jordan-Hare. That is a home field advantage.  We almost  never out rank Alabama or have more talent. We have Jordan-Hare though. 

• Love 1

19 hours ago, Viper said:

Auburn lost THIRTY-SEVEN players off the 2010 team...not just the best offensive player in the entire nation...not just the best defensive player in the entire nation...but THIRTY-FIVE other players. Not even Nick Saban could withstand that number of attrition and win his conference the following season. That kind of attrition is unheard of.  It was HALF the team.

Auburn was DAMN fortunate to win 8 games in 2011. Miracle onside kick to beat Utah St. Held off Miss St with 1st & G at the 1-yard line with 18 seconds left. Somehow, scored 16 against Marcus Lattimore, Jadaveon Clowney, Melvin Ingram and South Carolina on the road and won. Next to 2013, it was Gus Malzahn's most impressive rebuild of an offense. Literally, we had TWO returning offensive starters in 2011. RB Mike Dyer, a Sophomore and Brandon Mosley, a Senior RT. On defense, we had ONE returning starter, Neiko Thorpe, who was by far our weakest link in 2010, getting burned consistently every game.

2011 bammer was a very good team, but they didn't destroy a good 2011 Auburn team. That was a patchwork team held together by gum and paper clips...as evidenced getting throttled by LSU by 35...and LSU stopped trying to score midway through the 3rd Q.

beat "Florida by 28." 2011 Auburn beat Florida by 11 and it wasn't that close. So no, don't act like 2011 Penn St. was a huge home field advantage against 2011 bammer. That game was a laugher going in. And it was a laugher like most every team they played, save for LSU regular season.

I lol whenever LSU fans say that their situation is different from ours in 2011-12 because we "were all Cam and Nick." Was absolutely dreading 2011. Thought if we could just make a bowl our future was extremely bright (I guess it kinda was, we just needed to wait a year lol). But oh man we were so so so lucky.

On the other hand, Dyer being a thug was one of the worst breaks CGC could've gotten. We needed him so badly, and I'm guessing not disciplining him after the armed four incident (supplied gun) helped spawn the outbreak of other discipline problems we had. It was a no-win situation, and I don't think Tre would've been quite ready yet.

But, this post alludes to my concerns about our depth chart which I got reamed for. I believe we're currently slated to return 8 starters next year, not counting our punter?

Edited by AUwent