"I believe in Bo . . .

aubiefifty

Deal and Tigers embracing the 'dirty work' in physical offensive attack

ByJason Caldwell
4-5 minutes

AUBURN, Alabama—After three games Auburn tight end Luke Deal has yet to catch a pass, but it hasn’t kept him from having a big impact on the offense for Coach Mike Bobo. One of the best blockers for the Tigers, the former high school quarterback turned tight end has been instrumental in sealing the edge to allow Tank Bigsby and Jarquez Hunter the ability to get outside for explosive plays.

Helping Auburn’s rushing attack to a 287.3 yards per game average with 10 touchdowns, Deal said it’s a part of the game he enjoys and he’s happy to play his role for the Tigers.

The first big point in Coach Harsin and Coach Bobo’s offense is being physical, having a downhill, physical run game. That’s something that in high school I enjoyed even though I played a number of different positions and bounced from quarterback to tight end to playing some defense.

“I’ve just always enjoyed the physical nature of the game,” Deal said. “Being able to show that and being able to see the effects of the run game after that is pretty great. I'm enjoying it; I love doing the dirty work. I'm one of those -- I think everybody on our team is starting to buy into that culture.”

A key for the Tigers has been the ability of Bigsby, Hunter and others to get to the second level and make big plays. Currently, Auburn’s offense leads the nation in yards per attempt at 7.77 yards. While much of the credit goes to the guys up front for clearing holes, Deal said you’ve got to give the backs credit for being able to finish off runs.

“It’s definitely nice,” Deal said. “It gives us a little breathing room. The goal is to be the most physical team and those two backs, that’s what they are. They are physical. To watch them break those tackles, even though Jarquez got a little air on that one hurdle, he’s still a run-through-you type of guy and so is Tank. Just building the identity of tight ends, O-Line and running backs, that’s kind of what we want to be a part of is that kind of physical run style.”

While the running game is hitting its stride, Auburn and quarterback Bo Nix are still struggling to find the consistency needed in the passing game to win the big game on the road. Still searching for go-to receivers and to find the big play on the outside, Deal said all they can do is continue to work and continue to run the football well.

“I think that's the main key,” Deal said. “If anybody thinks you can have a good passing game without a good rushing game, they're wrong. So keep running the football like we're doing and those things will come -- repetition in practice, reps, reps, reps. You can't emphasize that any more, just getting as many reps and getting comfortable with quarterback-receiver, quarterback-tight end, quarterback-running back, and being comfortable up front with quarterback-O-line.

“So I believe in Bo; I think we all believe in Bo. So we're all going to kind of key in on what we need to do for the next game. When the ball comes my way, I'll be ready, just like Shenk was ready last game. We'll be ready for it.”

What Deal and the Tigers are ready for is an old-fashioned street fight each Saturday. It’s a mindset the offense has embraced and it’s something that Deal believes can carry this team a long way if the execution is there.

4COMMENTS

“I think that's something we want to make every game into,” Deal said. “I think that's something we pride ourselves in. Whether or not the game turns out the way we want it to, just like last game, we're going to bring a certain physicality and execute what we did not execute against Penn State. That's what we've got to do; there were a couple things we didn't do right and we need to key in on and focus on at practice, and that's what we'll fix. But like you said, that nature and that identity is what we want to hang our hats on. That's my cup of tea, so I'm excited about that.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To be fair, we have to believe in Bo.  We don’t have another QB ready for the starting role that would be an improvement unless Davis takes over and we run it 80%.  I know Finley and Davis would be better on those deep balls though.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, USATiger said:

To be fair, we have to believe in Bo.  We don’t have another QB ready for the starting role that would be an improvement unless Davis takes over and we run it 80%.  I know Finley and Davis would be better on those deep balls though.  

Davis will prove to be the best QB we've had in a decade.  Its comical how good that dude is at football.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Davis will prove to be the best QB we've had in a decade.  Its comical how good that dude is at football.

Would you care to explain why he hasn't appeared in a game yet? If he's going to be better than Nix, Stidham & Marshall it seems like he'd have at least appeared for some mop up duty. Is he hurt? Are the coaches that out of touch with reality? What's going on, if he's that great?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

Would you care to explain why he hasn't appeared in a game yet? If he's going to be better than Nix, Stidham & Marshall it seems like he'd have at least appeared for some mop up duty. Is he hurt? Are the coaches that out of touch with reality? What's going on, if he's that great?

Possible that he's not ready today.  I didn't say that he was going to be the QB this year, but that he would prove to be our best over time.

But logically, even the greatest QBs sit on the bench early in careers.  Tua played behind Jalen.  Cam played behind Tebow.  Joe Burrow was behind J.T. Barrett. Tom Brady sat behind Drew Bledsoe.

I'm guessing they are giving mop up reps to Finley because he would see the field next due to experience.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I'm guessing they are giving mop up reps to Finley because he would see the field next due to experience.

And Loy. Don't forget Loy who is ahead of Davis on the depth chart. Loy got a few snaps too.

Yes, in general QB's take time to develop. Good Auburn QB's R. Slack, J. Burger and D. Craig were all 4th year juniors before they took over the starting job. However, I didn't see anybody predicting that any of those would be the greatest in a decade before they even took one snap.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

did davis not rewrite the record book in 7A ball in texas? and better than a pro qb playing right now?

We are in year 3 of Bo, and we are still needing excuses to categorize him as a QB.  Reality is his career stats are closer to Jeremy Johnson than Joe Burrow.  

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

did davis not rewrite the record book in 7A ball in texas? and better than a pro qb playing right now?

Perhaps, but Davis isn't in Texas any more. With the new redshirt rules, there is no reason not to use a promising player in his allowed four games. Unless, of course, he's simply not ready for college ball.

2 minutes ago, AUCE05 said:

We are in year 3 of Bo, and we are still needing excuses to categorize him as a QB.  Reality is his career stats are closer to Jeremy Johnson than Joe Burrow.  

Bo is just now in year three of college ball. His stats are much more impressive than Joe Burrow's were at the same stage of their careers. https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2021-09-15/joe-burrow-college-football-career-stats-highlights-records

• Like 2

i cannot imagine the pressure on bo's shoulders right now. even tho he is better he still struggles with some basic stuff. but the auburn legacy stuff has to be tough. people pretty much expect you to be a better than normal player. your pro career is pretty much in tatters and those free cases of milo's will not pay the bills. you are also named after one of the greatest football players and freak athletes of all time. we know most of his faults as well and rake them over the coals regularly. with his love for auburn you know he does not want to let down his university, his family, and of course the fans. i am not downing bo at all i just want to remind folks this kid has the world on his shoulders and maybe he is realizing his best might come up short? bo is a gifted athlete and i feel like his coaching over the years has let him down.

7 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Perhaps, but Davis isn't in Texas any more. With the new redshirt rules, there is no reason not to use a promising player in his allowed four games. Unless, of course, he's simply not ready for college ball.

Bo is just now in year three of college ball. His stats are much more impressive than Joe Burrow's were at the same stage of their careers. https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2021-09-15/joe-burrow-college-football-career-stats-highlights-records

i am a huge fan of bo's. i have a nix Bo Knows t shirt with bo's picture on it. and i wear it.

13 minutes ago, AUCE05 said:

that dog does not hunt here man. and i am not getting into bashing jj either. i still hurt for him. i will always believe something bad rocked his world and he could not overcome it.

49 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

Davis was a monster in Texas 6A football (highest division).  An absolute monster.

• Like 2

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

Davis was a monster in Texas 6A football (highest division).  An absolute monster.

my bad on the 7a but i thought i read that. maybe my memory. do you remember whose record he broke? that was what i was trying to get at.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

And Loy. Don't forget Loy who is ahead of Davis on the depth chart. Loy got a few snaps too.

Yes, in general QB's take time to develop. Good Auburn QB's R. Slack, J. Burger and D. Craig were all 4th year juniors before they took over the starting job. However, I didn't see anybody predicting that any of those would be the greatest in a decade before they even took one snap.

We also didn't have the kind of data or skill training at the HS level in the 80s and 90s that we do now.  Projecting players has become more accurate than ever.  You still have misses, but for the most part, there's a correlation between highly rated HS players and results.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

my bad on the 7a but i thought i read that. maybe my memory. do you remember whose record he broke? that was what i was trying to get at.

Forgot exactly who, but he's one of just four kids ever to throw for 10,000 yards at the 6A level in Texas.  Was also 51-3 as a starter with two state titles.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Forgot exactly who, but he's one of just four kids ever to throw for 10,000 yards at the 6A level in Texas.  Was also 51-3 as a starter with two state titles.

You seem to know a lot about DD, and for the record I agree with you that the guy seems like a total beast who is more than capable of being our QB. What's your assessment on his fit in this offense? Do you believe he has arm strength on par with Finley and Geriner? That seems to be something Harsin is big on due to his offense stretching the field. Also, do you have any concerns that he could get overlooked since he is not Harsin's recruit? I don't care who is the quarterback, I just want us to upgrade the play in that room

24 minutes ago, au302 said:

You seem to know a lot about DD, and for the record I agree with you that the guy seems like a total beast who is more than capable of being our QB. What's your assessment on his fit in this offense? Do you believe he has arm strength on par with Finley and Geriner? That seems to be something Harsin is big on due to his offense stretching the field. Also, do you have any concerns that he could get overlooked since he is not Harsin's recruit? I don't care who is the quarterback, I just want us to upgrade the play in that room

1) Arm strength isn't a concern.  He's got plenty.

2) He can stand in the pocket and throw, but what makes him so damn dangerous is his ability to extend plays or take off with his legs.  He's Nick Marshall quick with a more accurate arm.

3) I'm still not sure what Harsin exactly wants this offense to be, so hard to answer there.  His offense at North Shore wasn't simple though.

4) Yes, not being Harsin's recruit concerns me.  Bobo had some good things to say about him in the Spring, but coaches always wamt their guys.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

1) Arm strength isn't a concern.  He's got plenty.

2) He can stand in the pocket and throw, but what makes him so damn dangerous is his ability to extend plays or take off with his legs.  He's Nick Marshall quick with a more accurate arm.

3) I'm still not sure what Harsin exactly wants this offense to be, so hard to answer there.  His offense at North Shore wasn't simple though.

4) Yes, not being Harsin's recruit concerns me.  Bobo had some good things to say about him in the Spring, but coaches always wamt their guys.

Have not seen him play did watch some snippets of him during the Texas playoffs and he does seem to have all the physical tools but the mental aspects of the game seems to be where QBs get hung up.  Can he adjust to reading more complex defenses and he has got to be able to read quicker since SEC defenses are fast.  

13 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

I have a nagging fear that we will lose him into the portal. 

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

I agree with this post obviously contingent on being given an opportunity. I don’t believe it will come this year though.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 12:31 PM, Brad_ATX said:

I don’t doubt all of that, but why weren’t the top programs going after him?

11 minutes ago, woodford said:

I don’t doubt all of that, but why weren’t the top programs going after him?

He had offers from A&M, LSU, Georgia, and Notre Dame among a boatload of other P5 schools.

His biggest hold-back is that he's under 6 feet tall.

Edited by Brad_ATX
  • Like 2