Bad Nix strikes again

pensacolatiger

5 hours ago, AU-24 said:

This pretty much sums it up here:

Wide Receivers: F

Nix has done a good job spreading the ball around recently and getting different receivers involved. 

Just four wide receivers got involved on Saturday and they combined for five catches and 32 yards.

The group couldn't get any separation and the drop issue returned. 

That is inexcusably bad. 

Offensive Line: F

And back-to-back 'F' grades for Auburn. The Auburn offensive line was getting eaten alive by Texas A&M.

The Aggies had six tackles for loss, four sacks and five quarterback hurries.

Auburn was rotating different guys in the guard spots and switching things up at tackle a little bit but nothing was working.

The run blocking was bad and the pass pro was worse.

Can’t imagine how bad the O would be without our quality RB’s (that can’t pick up a blitz) and tight ends (that aren’t left in pass protection on second and third and long to pick up a blitz) 

Possibly the thought process is, we need the TE’s around the first down marker, because the receivers can’t fight to get open and may drop the ball? But when the O line is getting an F grade on the road, in the SEC something else to be done, adjustments have to be made, and they were not made!

Those were the grades for this game, not for the whole season. No reason to throw everyone under the bus.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Yeah, it's really evident against better teams like UGA and Aggies. I think the coaching job was pretty bad on offense, but no one besides Tank looked good. 

Tank is probably the only player that has a clear NFL future and he's probably a mid round pick, at best right now.

You must be just talking about offense. Mcreary is certainly going to play on Sunday’s.

• Like 3

Bo had a really bad game, and I really wish this wasn't the situation we are stuck in.

For what it's worth, from what I've heard from sources in the know, Bo was essentially a freshman mentally after two years of Gus and that's how the coaching staff has had to handle it this season. Many bad habits to break. The OL is so bad that Finley would get killed, so here we are.

So yes, Bad Bo made a comeback, but I think this is our situation for the season and we just have to roll with it. Fixing the OL will almost fix everything 2022 going forward. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I just feel we have to do better as a fan base. We have to stop the fire everybody every game and even with Bo changing and benching him every bad play.

I feel it makes us look like a joke overall as far as our brand. We look so fickle. 

Can't be upset that guys don't live up to your unreal expectations, so they all suck? No they just weren't as good as you hyped but don't throw them away. Let's build. We have some parts not all of them. 

Just logically think.....It's football. Take Bo for instance if you go on record saying how it takes everything to be perfect for him to be good......what's the odds of that? It's football. We'll be better when we get guys who can play well when things aren't perfect. But you don't just throw Bo away because it could be worse. And that example goes for everybody. 

We'll get there.

• Like 6

It was nice talking football again. See you guys next game or something like that. Interested in how we address adversity and move ahead. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I just feel we have to do better as a fan base. We have to stop the fire everybody every game and even with Bo changing and benching him every bad play.

I feel it makes us look like a joke overall as far as our brand. We look so fickle. 

Can't be upset that guys don't live up to your unreal expectations, so they all suck? No they just weren't as good as you hyped but don't throw them away. Let's build. We have some parts not all of them. 

Just logically think.....It's football. Take Bo for instance if you go on record saying how it takes everything to be perfect for him to be good......what's the odds of that? It's football. We'll be better when we get guys who can play well when things aren't perfect. But you don't just throw Bo away because it could be worse. And that example goes for everybody. 

We'll get there.

The crazy part is if u watch the pros on Sunday some do the same as Bo. For example Carr for the Raiders will look like an MVP one game then the next game he will play like trash. Even Burrows has been really bad the last two weeks.

The difference between the pros and college is u have more opportunities to right ur wrongs opposed to college where every game matters and u can’t have bad games.  I have been trying to look at things a little more rational lately lol.

Edited by e808
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, e808 said:

The crazy part is if u watch the pros on Sunday some do the same as Bo. For example Carr for the Raiders will look like an MVP one game then the next game he will play like trash. Even Burrows has been really bad the last two weeks. The difference between the pro and college is u have more opportunities to right ur wrongs opposed to college where every game matters and u can’t have bad games.  I have been trying to look act things a little more rational lately lol

Sadly, the talking heads are just like us fans.  Quarterback A has a good week and he is top 5 in the league and in the MVP conversation.  Quarterback B has a bad game and he probably needs to be benched.  The next week the QB's games reverse and the talking heads change their tune accordingly.  Man, I wish I could get paid to share my opinion that changes every time the wind blows.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

You must be just talking about offense. Mcreary is certainly going to play on Sunday’s.

Yeah, we have a lot more talent on defense. Probably a few players besides RM

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Yeah, we have a lot more talent on defense. Probably a few players besides RM

3-4 in the secondary alone, IMO

26 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Virtually every fanbase is like this.  Just how fans act.  Bama is #2 in the nation and they've been crying for years to fire their DC.  UGA fans still harping for JT Daniels when Bennett has a higher QBR than Mac Jones did last year. 

• Like 1

If this is in the wrong topic mods feel free to move. This is not to bash the receivers but a question. The season is 9 games in and it seems none of the have an identity. 
For Example: Seth was a 50/50 and could stretch the field, Stove was a Swiss Army knife lost some speed due to surgeries, Hastings great possession receiver and good speed, Swartz can take the top off or take it to the house on a sweep, Davis was a quick twitch person that was great in space. Maybe I am being harsh just looking for insight. One thing for sure is that fade is not a strong suit. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

3-4 in the secondary alone, IMO

You can't help yourself with Tennison, can you.  🙄.  He actually graded out by PFF as our best defender this past weekend.  I hope he plays more.

I think Simpson/Pritchett and obviously McCreary have NFL futures ahead.  I'm not sure what Smoke does.  He's got the size, but seems to get lost a lot.  

• Like 1

Just now, W.E.D said:

Virtually every fanbase is like this.  Just how fans act.  Bama is #2 in the nation and they've been crying for years to fire their DC.  UGA fans still harping for JT Daniels when Bennett has a higher QBR than Mac Jones did last year. 

I'm not talking about it coming up I'm talking about it coming up every bad game. Coming up after a pattern is much different imo. It's justified. In our situation wanting to fire the DC as soon as a team scores...

And the wr situation is so dumb. Go after everybody but the new wr coach except if they play good get the praise.

Lastly we just brought people in, yet we want to fire them.....guys that may not even have talent in their groups should get fired? 

We literally go from NFL heisman from one game to never want to see them again the next......that's just funny to me. I have visited other boards following because of friends and family playing for the team and I haven't seen this before. That's my experience. 

• Like 1

This team has been overachieving on offense for a while. It’s hard as a fan not to buy into the playoff talk because it’s fun. In reality I knew this team was good for 8 wins and 9 was the ceiling. Like I said before Bo is just like the Auburn program as a whole more than anybody else. Chaos on two legs. So up and down.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, cole256 said:

We literally go from NFL heisman from one game to never want to see them again the next......that's just funny to me. I have visited other boards following because of friends and family playing for the team and I haven't seen this before. That's my experience. 

My son is an Aggie and he and I were comparing notes on this topic this past weekend. Their roller coaster with Kellen Mond was very similar to ours with Bo. There a lot of similarities for those two in terms of their ups and downs and fans reactions over their careers. 

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

We'll get there.

Expectation Adjustment Syndrome in full effect. Everyone says before the season “8-9 wins, recruiting improvement, and clear progress throughout the year and I’ll be happy”. Then, as soon as the season starts, everyone forgets they said that and wants to bench/fire everyone when we don’t win every game. Tale as old as time. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, AUAlumnTN said:

Expectation Adjustment Syndrome in full effect. Everyone says before the season “8-9 wins, recruiting improvement, and clear progress throughout the year and I’ll be happy”. Then, as soon as the season starts, everyone forgets they said that and wants to bench/fire everyone when we don’t win every game. Tale as old as time. 

The Tennessee factor is also in play. 8-9 wins is looking a lot tougher to accomplish after the past weekend, recruiting is less than optimal at this point and the reality of a long rebuild is looking more likely. For a fan base that has just come out of the schizo doldrums of the Gus era, waiting another 4 to 5 years to compete with the big boys is disheartening. 

21 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

The Tennessee factor is also in play. 8-9 wins is looking a lot tougher to accomplish after the past weekend, recruiting is less than optimal at this point and the reality of a long rebuild is looking more likely. For a fan base that has just come out of the schizo doldrums of the Gus era, waiting another 4 to 5 years to compete with the big boys is disheartening. 

We've also been spoiled by some of our previous coaching changes and what followed. Under Dye the team progressed upwards quickly from year 1 to 3. Under Bowden it took off like a rocket. Under Tuberville it was always ebb and flow but he gave us 2004 and 6 straight wins over the Tide which pacified most. Under Chiz recruiting jumped to a new level, we won the NC in year two and then bottomed out. Then Gus takes us to the threshold of the promised land again in year 1. We aren't a patient fan base because we haven't had to be patient for very long in most coaching changes. We will need to be patient with this one. He didn't inherit as much as the previous coaches did in across the board talent. I want what everyone else wants, to win now, and I feel like Harsin is already getting us there. 

Edited by gr82be
Disillusioned was not the right word
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Those were the grades for this game, not for the whole season. No reason to throw everyone under the bus.

Correct, the grades for this game. I don’t see where I stated they were for the whole season, but if I did, my apologies.

8 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Correct, the grades for this game. I don’t see where I stated they were for the whole season, but if I did, my apologies.

The hyperbole stated that (but only IMO).

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, aucom96 said:

This.  I had us @6-6 before the season.  Talent level is not there.  D is good; offense is just not.  We can beat both SC and Ms St; which would have us overacheiving....but it would take a Miracle Max miracle to beat Alabama.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, japantiger said:

This.  I had us @6-6 before the season.  Talent level is not there.  D is good; offense is just not.  We can beat both SC and Ms St; which would have us overacheiving....but it would take a Miracle Max miracle to beat Alabama.  

There is something not quite right with Alabama this year. It seems the recipe for success against them is to stop the run game which has been off for them compared to years past. That would include those short passes out of the backfield and disrupt their QB. He tends to falter when pressured like most first year starter QBs do. The game is very winnable if we can generate an offense worth a dang.

• Thanks 1

On 11/7/2021 at 12:29 PM, oracle79 said:

Maybe not, but it is the worst O-line I can remember. 

1) Maybe average in pass blocking against 3 or 4 d-line rushers.

2) No chance of picking a blitz of more than 1 player.

3) Run blocking is atrocious vs. P5 caliber decent defenses.

Next year will be rough unless the transfer portal is our genie in a bottle. I'd prefer none of these current guys use their Covid year to return. We need to feel the growing pains next year and gets some linemen playing time to develop for the future. (I don't want it right now, I want it done right.)

I think you are right about that.  Our 5 in many cases last Saturday couldn’t block their 3.  When they sent 4 or 5 it was all over.  I feel for those guys on our OL I’m sure they are doing their best but years of poor recruiting and poor development can’t be overcome in a few months by the current staff.  Maybe a few of the guys we have now might be successful with another year of development and maybe some of the young guys on the roster might develop but I think the staff better go after some O linemen where ever they can find them, especially tackles.  

• Like 1