Area 2

Utilizing and developing players

Area 3

Recruiting

Area 4

Finding and managing a coaching staff

Area 5

Anything you want to add. 

With Area 1 Harsin seems to preplan for the first quarter well but in game management is terrible. C minus

With Area 2 it seems every position group other than the defensive line is stagnant. Maybe some growth with the wide relievers and Tank.  D plus

Area 3

Too soon to know for sure but this is looking ugly so far. D minus

Area 4

Flat out F

What you got?

This guy is not an SEC level coach.  Period.  The best player we have (by far) can frequently be seen on the sideline shaking his head.  He knows it.  We know it.  It’s gonna be a mess for quite a while now.  

• Love 1

Game planning is actually elite. Coming out prepared has not been the issue at all. I agree that management has been poor to terrible. Utilizing and developing is better than Gus, but need more time to see if it's good per se. A lot of guys have taken big leaps this year. (Bo, Kobe, JJ, TE's, etc). This may just be because Gus was so awful in this area that anythings an improvement.

Recruiting right now would go in the terrible category. The hope is that he somehow finishes strong and that he hits on more players than the previous staff did. The staff part is also concerning. I'm of the opinion that the Potato gang is the strong part of the staff outside of Bert Watts obviously. Mason was a flop. Bobo meh. Friend is actually the best OL coach we've had in a minute but that's not saying much. Just not sold on Etheridge yet. I like Eason.

I'm torn on Bobo because he can game plan and his QB development skills are elite. You have to debate keeping him on another year to work with Geriner imo. If Harsin has a brain he calls Muschamp today for recruiting and let's Jeff Schmedding help with the X's and O's. Then, make the move at OC if a visible upgrade is willing to jump (Jeff Grimes). 

I truly think he could be something, but I also believe he has too many cooks in the kitchen. I think we have a lot a smart guys trying to do too much behind the scenes. Personally, I think we should rid ourselves of both coordinators and CBH needs to bring in his own guys, to follow his vision. You are already going 6-6 and recruiting has not came to fruition yet. The guys you bought in were suppose to solidify that but that does not seem to be the case.  After, I think he needs to find and identity and make sure the coaches follow suit to that identity, especially in terms of culture. What I see is a head coach giving way too much leeway to these "experienced" coordinators. I completely fell for the tom foolery (my fault) and thought these guys could mask deficiency by teaching discipline and technique. That has not been the case. After that, let the Chips fall where they may. 

3 hours ago, shabby said:

AREA 1

Game planning and management

Area 2

Area 3

Recruiting

Area 4

Area 5

With Area 1 Harsin seems to preplan for the first quarter well but in game management is terrible. C minus

With Area 2 it seems every position group other than the defensive line is stagnant. Maybe some growth with the wide relievers and Tank.  D plus

Area 3

Area 4

Flat out F

What you got?

#1 - B. Our initial fame plan has been good. Penn State would be the exception.  Game management has been especially poor the second half of the season.

#2 - B - I am being generous here because I believe that he has helped Bo.  In large part, it may still be too early to tell.

#3 - D - Recruiting is sub par and we have no momentum on the recruiting trail. I am all for recruiting local kids, but you can't depend on Auburn High School alone.

#4 - D

#5 - I am sick and tired of hearing people say that Harsin doesn't GAS what the fan base thinks.  It is time he did GAS or be reminded how fortunate he is to have the position that he holds.

1. B

2. B-, OL stinks but Bo has played better. Bobo is the weak link. He’s gotta go. 
3. D+
4. D+ (Bobo and Mason are clearly not working out, ST has been dreadful, OL not good)

1. C-

Some high points, such as Arkansas, but our consistent decline from first to fourth quarter shouldn't be so pronounced. 

2. C

We have underutilized our strengths (Tank, TEs), tried to shove a square peg into a round hole too often on defense and some of our players on special teams are out of place.

3. D

We are at the bottom of the SEC. Many are predicting better, but they clearly have to know something most don't or are just pumping serious sunshine. 

4. D

We have a weird mix of washed up SEC journeymen, green coaches with SEC ties and Boise buddies. Harsin has already fired one of his coaches and it doesn't seem like a staff entirely on the same page at all. 

Until Bobo is fired he has an F for me in managing coaches.

He gets Bs for player development and scheming for the initial game plan.

In game adjustments get a fat F

• Like 1

I like the progress many of the players have made. They came in with only one play maker on offense and that is still all they have but guys have contributed and improved. 

Defense still has no pass rush guys (hold over from last year). But I thought it would carry the team. Fail.

CBH has to bring in some elite recruiters on this team! This is something that is lacking big time.

8 hours ago, shabby said:

AREA 1

Game planning and management

Area 2

Area 3

Recruiting

Area 4

Area 5

Area 3

Area 4

Flat out F

What you got?

I'm going to try my best to take feelings out of this one and be as objective as I can with no O and B shades on. 

1- Game planning and Management- He seems to usually have a pretty good script for the first quarter or so. That's about the only thing good I have to say here. Lack of adjustments or worse all year long. - D

2. Utilizing and developing players- This one I have mixed feelings on. I will say that I am fairly happy with the development of Bo this year. He still made his mistakes, but he honestly improved more than I expected. WRs have gooten better. We utilize TEs and RBs in the pass game. All of that is good. The bad is not playing guys on the bench when others are struggling horribly. (Canion and Capers for example). - B-

3- Recruiting- This one is tough. I think CBH did a good job on last year's class with what he had to work with and he ended up finding some gems and salvaging what could have been a terrible class. This years class he was always going to be behind in, but the inability to close (so far) on some big key targets has me very concerned. I am going to put a grade, but it subject to change depending on how we finish this class. - C+

4- Finding and managing a staff- This one is also tough. I was happy with the Mason and Bobo hires at first. Actually thrilled. I thought Bobo was perfect to bring in and help Bo and to recruit for a year or two. He has helped Bo, but I don't see much gain on the recruiting trail yet and I do not know if it is enough to overcome his poor play-calling. Mason I thought was a homerun. Former HC and from the SEC. History of great defenses. I am most disappointed in Mason. His inability or unwillingness to adapt to what the opposing team is doing has been mindboggling to me. I wont get into the rest of stff, but I give it a C

Overall I give a C-

6 hours ago, DAG said:

I truly think he could be something, but I also believe he has too many cooks in the kitchen. I think we have a lot a smart guys trying to do too much behind the scenes. Personally, I think we should rid ourselves of both coordinators and CBH needs to bring in his own guys, to follow his vision. You are already going 6-6 and recruiting has not came to fruition yet. The guys you bought in were suppose to solidify that but that does not seem to be the case.  After, I think he needs to find and identity and make sure the coaches follow suit to that identity, especially in terms of culture. What I see is a head coach giving way too much leeway to these "experienced" coordinators. I completely fell for the tom foolery (my fault) and thought these guys could mask deficiency by teaching discipline and technique. That has not been the case. After that, let the Chips fall where they may. 

This is a very good post. I can even understand the predicament with having a couple of long time SEC coaches on staff that you probably have a lot of admiration and respect for, but definitely there should have been some over-riding going on and some fire lit under aspirins on both sides of the ball.

• Like 2

I would say right now it's recruiting. Especially, most importantly, and ASAP, is the line of scrimmage.. both sides of the ball. And this should be the focus for the next few years.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

To be fair, Harsin inherited a team with lots of upperclassmen, including a starting o-line with all 5th year Seniors.  There is a reason we don't see a whole lot of 5th year guys anymore.  That is the origin of the problems from an X's and O's stand point.  Lots of upperclassmen not used to having to work very hard, and not used to being held accountable.  That being said, his constant talk about accountability is hard to swallow from the players perspective when the coaching staff isn't being held accountable for their poor-performances.   Tough situation that I thought would get better, but the poor recruiting says otherwise.  I just don't think this is good fit anymore.  Not a single aspect of this program is trending upwards.  

20 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

Bobo is terrible, but this may be the most poorly coached ST units I've ever seen.

16 minutes ago, USATiger said:

To be fair, Harsin inherited a team with lots of upperclassmen, including a starting o-line with all 5th year Seniors.  There is a reason we don't see a whole lot of 5th year guys anymore.  That is the origin of the problems from an X's and O's stand point.  Lots of upperclassmen not used to having to work very hard, and not used to being held accountable.  That being said, his constant talk about accountability is hard to swallow from the players perspective when the coaching staff isn't being held accountable for their poor-performances.   Tough situation that I thought would get better, but the poor recruiting says otherwise.  I just don't think this is good fit anymore.  Not a single aspect of this program is trending upwards.  

ST has been horrible. Bobo and whoever the STs coach is HAVE to go. ITS BASIC F*CKING FOOTBALL AS A PUNT RETURNER TO YELL GET AWAY IF YOU AREN'T GOING TO FIELD IT. CHRIST SAKES AT THE HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL I WAS YELLING PETER IF IT WAS A BAD PUNT. GET AWAY. YOU CALL IT EARLY. AS A PUNT RETURNER YOU HAVE TO BE DECISIVE AS SOON AS THE BALL IS PUNTED.   THATS ON COACHING.

Edit: sorry I got so mad about the STs I forgot to address the 2nd quote.  Only upward trend left for me is player development.

Edited by Didba

11 minutes ago, Didba said:

ST has been horrible. Bobo and whoever the STs coach is HAVE to go. ITS BASIC F*CKING FOOTBALL AS A PUNT RETURNER TO YELL GET AWAY IF YOU AREN'T GOING TO FIELD IT. CHRIST SAKES AT THE HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL I WAS YELLING PETER IF IT WAS A BAD PUNT. GET AWAY. YOU CALL IT EARLY. AS A PUNT RETURNER YOU HAVE TO BE DECISIVE AS SOON AS THE BALL IS PUNTED.   THATS ON COACHING.

And this is the biggest issue with the team.  The constant talk to the media about the guys working hard, being accountable, is a hard pill to swallow when the coaches aren't being held accountable.  This team was always going to have some turmoil as many were Malzahn fans, because he wasn't hard on them.  That's tough to overcome but many bought in and work their asses off.   There is a talent issue, a coaching issue, and a locker room issue.  I don't see any of that getting better next year.  Also, many money folks have been completely turned off by Harsin.  There just isn't any aspect of the program looking up.  

Fire Coach Corn when his Boise guys were performing just as poorly.  Ofc those guys still have a job.  Pretty easy to see how Harsin lost the locker room.

Edited by USATiger

2 minutes ago, USATiger said:

And this is the biggest issue with the team.  The constant talk to the media about the guys working hard, being accountable, is a hard pill to swallow when the coaches aren't being held accountable.  This team was always going to have some turmoil as many were Malzahn fans, because he wasn't hard on them.  That's tough to overcome but many bought in and work their asses off.   There is a talent issue, a coaching issue, and a locker room issue.  I don't see any of that getting better next year.  Also, many money folks have been completely turned off by Harsin.  There just isn't any aspect of the program looking up.  

Fire Coach Corn when his Boise guys were performing just as poorly.  Ofc those guys still have a job.  Pretty easy to see how Harsin lost the locker room.

Facts. I had a lot of faith in Harsin after the first half of the season but after the last two games I am feeling real bad.  Glaring issues that HAVE to be addressed by  CBH.

The best way to do that is to bring in a talented recruiting class, guys talented enough to push for a starting spot. That ain't happening.  Hate to say it but this marriage needs to end.