Potential OCs for 2022?

AUApostle

Guest MustardSeed
20 minutes ago, AURealist said:

I expect a Zak Hill sort of hire, two or three years of average ball and then another bad decision by the AU PTB.  

If he hires Zak I’ll join you. This hire is make or break for him. If he goes with comfort he’s probably done.  If he pulls someone like Grimes he may have a solid career here. 

2 hours ago, AURealist said:

Zak Hill is the no-help-for-recruiting move that fills the OC position with the least amount of thought or effort.

Zak Hill is 100% meh.

Zak Hill is 100% JABA.

So it's probably a done deal.  

Sounds like, Auburn has their man.

31 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Would prefer Ludwig over Hill, if that's a serious option.  Grimes would be great, but would he come back?  Truth is, at this point, I think of Coach Harsin as an experiment. 

I expect a Zak Hill sort of hire, two or three years of average ball and then another bad decision by the AU PTB.  

Change my mind.  

Jeez.  I just realized I can't take the AU football program seriously, anymore.  It's a sad day.  

To expand on my previous post, who would be your definition of a satisfactory hire be if what is highlighted turns out? As coordinator he might be our Jon Gruden, but certainly we could land Dell as HC if no one better. After seeing how Pittman's turned out, I would gladly take the guy if he were the best we could get.

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/dell-mcgee-georgia-head-coach/

"Other than perhaps Sam Pittman, no Georgia position coach has been more integral to the Bulldogs’ success than McGee."

Edited by AUwent

18 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I've said this a billion times, I'll say it again. The freaking Mississippi schools got coaches most of us would happily take.

I just don't know with CBH. I really hope people like Zeek and Brad are right and Harsin turns out to be a very good long term coach (with approximately the success of at least Tubs) and could even see it if we finish strong in recruiting. But if we end up with Zak Hill I'm leaning towards what CivilEng and Realist are saying. The question is, how long do we need to give him for optics/what we can afford (bad move to have two coaches on payroll)?

And you can bet the coaches our direct competitors will be killing us with weren't even on our radar when replacing Gus.  🤣  Really, all you can do is laugh...

24 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I've said this a billion times, I'll say it again. The freaking Mississippi schools got coaches most of us would happily take.

What a lame ass statement.

Who's that, Kiffin and Leach LMAO?

Kiffin doesn't even want to be there, and yet NONE of the top schools in this conference want him. He would have came happily to Auburn last year. Didn't get a call from Florida, and didn't get a call from LSU either. He's 0-2 vs. Gus Malzahn and now also the guy you think "isn't the guy", by the way - so what does that mean to you? You're probably super bummed out by Harsin's recruiting too, and yet he's out-recruiting Kiffin. That's the guy you would happily take? A Top 10 team who can't recruit worth s***? Lane Kiffin is only a "dream hire" to armchair fans like yourself - there's a reason why he's at OLe Miss and sitting on his couch "trolling" while crying about how bigger jobs won't call him.

And Mike Leach? 4-7 last season and 7-5 this season? Quit being melodramatic - you'd hate Mike Leach as soon as he lost a game or two. He's not a threat to win anything, but now you're going to sit there and try to convince me that you'd be super excited about him as the HC at Auburn? Really?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, metafour said:

Kiffin doesn't even want to be there, and yet NONE of the top schools in this conference want him. He would have came happily to Auburn last year. Didn't get a call from Florida, and didn't get a call from LSU either. He's 0-2 vs. Gus Malzahn and now also the guy you think "isn't the guy", by the way - so what does that mean to you? You're probably super bummed out by Harsin's recruiting too, and yet he's out-recruiting Kiffin. That's the guy you would happily take? A Top 10 team who can't recruit worth s***? Lane Kiffin is only a "dream hire" to armchair fans like yourself - there's a reason why he's at OLe Miss and sitting on his couch "trolling" while crying about how bigger jobs won't call him.

And Mike Leach? 4-7 last season and 7-5 this season? Quit being melodramatic - you'd hate Mike Leach as soon as he lost a game or two. He's not a threat to win anything, but now you're going to sit there and try to convince me that you'd be super excited about him as the HC at Auburn? Really?

Ole Miss went 10-2 this year and are going to the NY6. No they didn't have to play Georgia but who on this board wouldn't be thrilled with 9-3 next year? They're the favorite to land Arch freaking Manning BTW.

Leach? He has a pretty good track record at two fairly desolate programs. MSU returns its entire team next year and three of their losses were by three points or less. 10-2 isn't out of the question for them IMO.

I still hope, of course, that you're right and that Realist and I are wrong. :)

Edited by AUwent

3 minutes ago, AURealist said:

And you can bet the coaches our direct competitors will be killing us with weren't even on our radar when replacing Gus.  🤣  Really, all you can do is laugh...

I thought Kiffin was at least on the rumored list but I don't see why Leach should have been. I get that he was at WSU and TT but his record was comparable to Gus. I don't get the appeal but I'm probably in the minority. But overall your point is valid. Other schools are hitting home runs and we keep fouling off pitches...excuse the baseball terminology. 

ZACH KITTLEY is a new name that is popping up.  He is only 30, but seems to have a ton of potential and has a track record of success as well. He is currently OC at Western Kentucky.  They have the #1 passing offense and #2 overall offense in the country.  He coached under Kliff KIngsbury at Tx Tech.

• Like 1

Just now, AU9377 said:

ZACH KITTLEY is a new name that is popping up.  He is only 30, but seems to have a ton of potential and has a track record of success as well. He is currently OC at Western Kentucky.  They have the #1 passing offense and #2 overall offense in the country.  He coached under Kliff KIngsbury at Tx Tech.

You know, I could maybe be okay with that?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, metafour said:

Thank you! At least I'm not the only one. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, metafour said:

Leach, Kiffin and Harsin are all playing for keeps now.  If Kiffin is going to get serious, this is it for him. 

I'm frustrated that AU so narrowly limits its hiring pool.  Or is it so limited because nobody wants to come to Auburn?  I know we fans love Auburn, but to tell the truth, we don't have a spectacular rep with those outside our fanbase.  We need to run our football program like a business and decide whether we want to win or be Georgia Tech.  

1 minute ago, AU9377 said:

I like it. I’m tired of all the recycling of coordinators. If he can get the job done, then I like new blood.

Guest MustardSeed
1 minute ago, AU9377 said:

I had just looked him up. In PPG he took W Ky from 114th to 4th in one year 🤯

1 hour ago, PigskinPat said:

What makes you say that?

I’ve actually watched games he called when he was at Boise.

They had a kid named Rypien and the offense did very well.

It was unpredictable and very fun to watch.

Will that help Auburn?- in theory, yes because the coaching staff will be more cohesive… on the same page.

Will it translate to massive success in the SEC?

Nobody knows.

I do know it is a waste of energy to be incredibly negative about stuff that hasn’t even happened yet.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

Zach Kittley

I like this hire.  Air raid guy that came up under Kingsbury, will continue to use complex route trees and as a younger guy he likely is more open to changing things up and calling the high percentage play when the down and distance call for it.

6 minutes ago, AcUmen said:

Is Kittley and air-raid guy?  Can't see Harsin going for that, tbh. 

Just because he is an air raid guy primarily doesn't mean he has zero experience running the ball, I imagine he and Harsin will combine schemes to an actual multiple offense ala Arians in TB.  Arians offense passes a whole lot but it also has a strong running game when the defense allows for it.  Seems Harsin is still striving for balance.

45 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Not sure if serious 🧐 

It’s being kicked around in twitterspher