Daren Bates on Tank running out of bounds

Tiger

Just now, aubaseball said:

You are trying to compare a good play to a bad play.    Yeldon going out of bounds gave his team a second to try and win the game.    How is that ever bad or the same as Tank?    

No what I am saying is the Whining and gnashing of teeth about this play is ridiculous. Did him going out of bounds give Bama 7 points? We still could’ve stopped them. So to just argue about this play is just super short sighted to me. It is what it is. We didn’t do enough on either end to win that game and I could point to several “bad” plays as to why.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

On 4th and 18 with 36 seconds to go and 73 yards away I’m not sure throwing deep is inherently risky and foolish. Your options are limited. I suppose the “smarter” play is to try and pick up the first. The play, as implemented, was damn lucky, though.

Throwing deep isn't inherently risky and foolish in that situation, no. What Marshall did was, though. He had another receiver wide open on the sideline who could've picked up a first down and a lot more and gotten out of bounds with time for a couple more plays left on the clock. Instead, he threw directly to not one but two uga players. He gave his receiver so little chance of the catching the ball that his receiver- and Louis is on record saying this, as if it weren't evident watching it in real time- made a conscious decision to not even try, but to instead just hope that the ball somehow popped up in the air just as it did. 

What's interesting is that 36 seconds and 73 yards away is pretty much the situation we would've put bama in had Tank stayed in bounds.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

I’m not playing that game at all.   I’ve stated in all my post that it was a mistake to be tackled out of bounds.   That’s not what if.   

One player (Battle) knew unequivocally what his job was on that play and one player (Bigsby) didn't. No big deal because all Auburn had to do was stop them with that smothering defense. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

12 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

One player (Battle) knew unequivocally what his job was on that play and one player (Bigsby) didn't. No big deal because all Auburn had to do was stop them with that smothering defense. 

I thought Bigsby's job was to get a game-ending 1st down. Looks to me like he knew his job very well.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

One player (Battle) knew unequivocally what his job was on that play and one player (Bigsby) didn't.

Really all that needs to be said about it. It's just crazy that folks can't acknowledge that a player made a mistake and move on. Nobody's trying to pin the entire loss on him. And, as others have said, the intent of the OP isn't to crucify Tank. The thrust of Bates's argument is that it was an understandable mistake for a player but not for the coaching staff to have allowed to happen. And that goes back to what you said above. The bama player was better prepared for the moment. 

I don't know how much of it is on Bobo, but even if it's the wrong guy falling on the sword, the blood sacrifice is cathartic for this bitter fan. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

I’m not playing that game at all.   I’ve stated in all my post that it was a mistake to be tackled out of bounds.   That’s not what if.   

The whole conversation is based on what happens if Bama had to use a time out. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Throwing deep isn't inherently risky and foolish in that situation, no. What Marshall did was, though. He had another receiver wide open on the sideline who could've picked up a first down and a lot more and gotten out of bounds with time for a couple more plays left on the clock. Instead, he threw directly to not one but two uga players. He gave his receiver so little chance of the catching the ball that his receiver- and Louis is on record saying this, as if it weren't evident watching it in real time- made a conscious decision to not even try, but to instead just hope that the ball somehow popped up in the air just as it did. 

What's interesting is that 36 seconds and 73 yards away is pretty much the situation we would've put bama in had Tank stayed in bounds.

Bama would presumably have about a minute.

Here’s my idea of an inherently foolish, risky call that worked:

• Haha 1
  • Angry 1

3 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Bama would presumably have about a minute.

Yes, and would likely not have significantly less than 73 yards to go by the time the clock hit 36 since they had no timeouts. 

Tank's decision was incorrect based on the probabilities of the various resultant outcomes of that play. 

Really all that needs to be said about it. It's just crazy that folks can't acknowledge that a player made a mistake and move on. Nobody's trying to pin the entire loss on him. And, as others have said, the intent of the OP isn't to crucify Tank. The thrust of Bates's argument is that it was an understandable mistake for a player but not for the coaching staff to have allowed to happen. And that goes back to what you said above. The bama player was better prepared for the moment. 

I don't know how much of it is on Bobo, but even if it's the wrong guy falling on the sword, the blood sacrifice is cathartic for this bitter fan. 

The call was up the middle. Tank bounced it outside. Tank’s best plays all year are the ones he bounces outside. If he didn’t routinely do that he’d probably average 2 yards a carry with our OL. I’m guessing the coaches give him that latitude. If not, it’s stupid to have him get the carry if they just want to run clock and punt. Tank did what he’s given us every reason to think he’d try to do.

After this play, we pinned Bama on the 2 or 3 yard line with less than two minutes to play. That shouldn’t be a bad place to be. Our inability to stop them is what most irritates me.

I just think the ongoing focus on this play is way over the top. I don’t see it as a mental error. I see it as effort play. Bama made a great defensive play. You can say that means their guy was more prepared, but somebody wins that battle and both guys are top rate players. If Tank slipped that tackle we’d all be talking how he made a game sealing play out of nothing, not that he was lucky to overcome his error.

If we keep this thread and argument alive long enough, maybe we really will win the Iron Bowl. 😅

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

I just think the ongoing focus on this play is way over the top.

So do I. Folks should just acknowledge that a mistake was made and move on.

the blood sacrifice is cathartic for this bitter fan. 

Your blood lust is disturbing 😳 Go have a pastry stout and chill

• Haha 1
  • Angry 1

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

So do I. Folks should just acknowledge that a mistake was made and move on.

🤣🤣🤣

Because you can’t grasp how anyone could possibly disagree with you. “Admit I’m right!! Admit I’m right!!!”

1 minute ago, TexasTiger said:

🤣🤣🤣

Because you can’t grasp how anyone could possibly disagree with you. “Admit I’m right!! Admit I’m right!!!”

Oh, people disagree with me all the time and I often acknowledge that they're right and I'm wrong. Even did it earlier in this thread. Tried it lately yourself?

As for "me" being right, that's not really what this is about. Argue with Daren Bates. Argue with Gary Danielson. Argue with the greatest college football coach of all time who coached his player to get our player out of bounds. 

Your stance is emotional, not logical. I'll leave you to deal with that. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Oh, people disagree with me all the time and I often acknowledge that they're right and I'm wrong. Even did it earlier in this thread. Tried it lately yourself?

As for "me" being right, that's not really what this is about. Argue with Daren Bates. Argue with Gary Danielson. Argue with the greatest college football coach of all time who coached his player to get our player out of bounds. 

Your stance is emotional, not logical. I'll leave you to deal with that. 

Your need for folks to “admit they’re wrong” is emotional, not logical. I have no need for you to recognize you’re wrong. I don’t see a clear right/wrong here— we disagree on how we see a football play. I’m fine with that. I don’t think that makes you wrong or stupid. You seek capitulation for some reason I don’t understand. 

I’d argue with Danielson if I didn’t think he’s often an idiot who loves the sound of his voice. 

You’re point about Saban is illogical. We don’t know what he thinks about Tank’s effort. Of course, he wants his guy to drag him out of bounds. Plays have winners and losers. His guy won.

I do wonder what folks would’ve thought if Tank slid when that guy approached just a yard or two from the first down marker. I’m not sure it would have been universal praise of his brilliance. 

2 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

You seek capitulation

No, I don't. You said too much is being made of that play. I just pointed out that folks like yourself are just as responsible for the continuing conversation as folks like myself. 

Funny, you called me a jerk earlier in this thread and I acknowledged you were right. And here you are personally attacking me in consecutive posts. 

Feel free to have your last word. This is unbecoming of both of us. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

No, I don't. You said too much is being made of that play. I just pointed out that folks like yourself are just as responsible for the continuing conversation as folks like myself. 

Funny, you called me a jerk earlier in this thread and I acknowledged you were right. And here you are personally attacking me in consecutive posts. 

Feel free to have your last word. This is unbecoming of both of us. 

I’m not sure this was an attack, but if you feel that way, it’s certainly not my intention. War Eagle, brother! Have a great weekend!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DAG said:

No what I am saying is the Whining and gnashing of teeth about this play is ridiculous. Did him going out of bounds give Bama 7 points? We still could’ve stopped them. So to just argue about this play is just super short sighted to me. It is what it is. We didn’t do enough on either end to win that game and I could point to several “bad” plays as to why.  

Agreed. We also couldn't stop them on 4th & 7 on their TD drive in regulation and I haven't seen that one critiqued ad nauseum. We were one play away from victory more than once. We made several key plays in the game, but in the end they just made more. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

I thought Bigsby's job was to get a game-ending 1st down. Looks to me like he knew his job very well.

Partly right.

Got to look at the big picture.

Bixby's job was to try to get the 1st down AND stay in bounds.

He was almost successful on the first. He did wrong on the 2nd part.

• Like 2

Tank's run DID NOT cost the game...said many times...when we stopped them on 4th down, there's 11 minutes left in the game and we throw an interception instead of running the ball....bama had already used a time out and wasn't going to call another one at this time...a couple of running plays and we could've taken several minutes off the clock....and there are other things too...go for 2 after the first OT...

• Like 2

13 hours ago, JerryAU said:

Don’t believe you know that Bigsby didn’t know, just that he went out of bounds.

• Like 3

On 12/2/2021 at 3:54 PM, cole256 said:

Our wr coach was fired.

Would you say our WR play has improved after that fact?

6 hours ago, bigbird said:

Would you say our WR play has improved after that fact?

Absolutely not. The wr play got better as the qb became more comfortable and the wr themselves got actual game experience. There wasn't any drastic efficiency increase. No different rotation (even though there needed to be) .

It will be the same next year for our linebackers. They will learn, make mistakes, be up and down, by the end of the season they will look back at the beginning and say wow we came a long way

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1