Jon Stewart: Trump isn't some incredible supervillain

DKW 86

15 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

But but but...2000! There are a couple of Democrats who didn't accept that result 20 years ago. See both parties are exactly the same!

also, hillary delivered the speech as a masterclass...she's not claiming she won. 

It’s not whataboutism if I agree with your stance is it? I agree we should scorn people who disrespect the rule of law.  The well established change of power.  How are we to conduct a civil society if there is lawlessness allowed by the people that have been elected to uphold the law?  I am all for correcting this travesty that has been perpetrated on our society the past few months. I hope you agree.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Do you really believe most Republicans/Conservatives agree with David Brooks and what he has written as of late?  You are so easily duped. 

Of course not. That was the point of his essay.  Duuuuuh!  :-\ 

Most self-proclaimed "Republicans/Conservatives" of today neither understand the actual principles of true "conservatism" nor do they agree with them. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Of course not. That was the point of his essay.  Duuuuuh!  :-\ 

Most self-proclaimed "Republicans/Conservatives" of today neither understand the actual principles of true "conservatism" nor do they agree with them. 

True Conservatism according to David Brooks?  Maybe he should keep up because the world has passed him by while he has been employed by the NYT.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

True Conservatism according to David Brooks?  Maybe he should keep up because the world has passed him by while he has been employed by the NYT.

If you had actually read Brook's essay you would know that the conservatism he describes was according to Edmund Burke, who he considers be the father of modern, liberal (small L) conservatism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_Burke

But to your point,  the Republican party certainly has passed both Burke and Brooks by, as it has become an illiberal (small L) cult that no longer reflects actual conservative  - or democratic - values as reflected by Burke.

So, once again, you are confirming the very point of Brook's essay, even while you don't actually understand it. :rolleyes:

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, homersapien said:

If you had actually read Brook's essay you would know that the conservatism he describes was according to Edmund Burke, who he considers be the father of modern, liberal (small L) conservatism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_Burke

But to your point,  the Republican party certainly has passed both Burke and Brooks by, as it has become an illiberal (small L) cult that no longer reflects actual conservative  - or democratic - values as reflected by Burke and Brooks.

So, once again, you are confirming the very point of Brook's essay, even while you don't actually understand it.

So Brook is referencing Burke who died in 1797 as his basis for conservatism?  Is this his point?  Do you think conservatism hasn’t evolved since then?  Here is a quote from your link;

Burke was a proponent of underpinning virtues with manners in society and of the importance of religious institutions for the moral stability and good of the state.

This belief has been held through centuries until recently when being of good virtue with manners has led to the left decimating the moral stability of our society.  To name a few; women can become men; men can become women; children should be able to determine the sex they identify with as early as 4 years old; castrating said child to align them with their identity; misgendering is a crime; theories can be taught as truths in public schools and killing babies in the womb is a right. 

Get used to the new Conservative because the old Conservative is outdated.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

So Brook is referencing Burke who died in 1797 as his basis for conservatism?  Is this his point?  Do you think conservatism hasn’t evolved since then?  Here is a quote from your link;

Burke was a proponent of underpinning virtues with manners in society and of the importance of religious institutions for the moral stability and good of the state.

This belief has been held through centuries until recently when being of good virtue with manners has led to the left decimating the moral stability of our society.  To name a few; women can become men; men can become women; children should be able to determine the sex they identify with as early as 4 years old; castrating said child to align them with their identity; misgendering is a crime; theories can be taught as truths in public schools and killing babies in the womb is a right. 

Get used to the new Conservative because the old Conservative is outdated.

:laugh:  You're becoming a parody of yourself. 

The "new conservative" is a cultist who would prefer an fascist/theocratic government.  They are illiberal and unAmerican.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-minnesota-presidential-elections-capitol-siege-elections-f6e4f7fb5c8a444cd6d123a173b5bf3a

hey are just three little words, but they have become nearly impossible for many Republicans to say: “Joe Biden won.”

Eleven months after the Democrat’s inauguration, Republican lawmakers and candidates across the country are squirming and stumbling rather than acknowledging the fact of Biden’s victory in the 2020 presidential election. In debates and interviews, they offer circular statements or vague answers when asked whether they believe Biden won.

Yes or no?

In Minnesota this week, five GOP candidates for governor came up with 1,400 other words when asked by conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt for an answer.

On NBC’s “Meet the Press” on Sunday, GOP Sen. Roger Marshall of Kansas would only concede: “Joe Biden was sworn into office.”

The hazy statements are one measure of election denialism within the Republican Party. Former President Donald Trump’s lies about a stolen election have so taken hold among GOP voters that many of the party’s candidates either believe them or fear the political repercussions of refuting Trump. That sets up a surreal dynamic for next year’s elections, where the toughest question posed to GOP candidates — particularly in primaries — may be one with a one-word answer that they’re reluctant to give.

Biden received more than 81 million votes to Trump’s 74 million, according to the tally of the Federal Election Commission. The tightest margin was in Arizona, where Biden won by 10,457 votes. More important, he won 306 votes in the Electoral College, more than the 270 required to become president. Trump got 232.

Even a GOP-led “audit” of votes in Arizona’s largest county came up with a Biden win. Dozens of state and federal courts, as well as the Trump administration’s Justice Department, have dismissed claims of widespread voter fraud.

When The Associated Press set out to count every fraud claim in the states disputed by Trump, it found fewer than 475 potential cases — 15 hundredths of 1% of Biden’s winning margin in those states.

And yet, many Republican candidates may be eying another number: A July Associated Press-NORC Poll found 66% of Republicans said Biden was not legitimately elected president. More than two-thirds of Americans overall said Biden was legitimately elected.

The doubt has been fueled by Trump, who has argued without evidence that the election was “rigged” and has urged his supporters to reject the outcome. He’s set out to oust fellow Republicans who voted to certify the results.

ansas’ Marshall was among five senators who voted against certifying the electoral votes for Arizona and Pennsylvania in January, the day a mob of Trump supporters stormed the U.S. Capitol in a violent effort to prevent the final step that sealed Biden’s win.

While Marshall hangs his answer on process, other Republicans go further. Arizona Republican Rep. Andy Biggs, who was part of a group of GOP congressmen who pushed false claims, recently answered a question from a colleague about who won by saying flatly, “We don’t know.”

“There’s the problem,” Rep. Jamie Raskin, a Maryland Democrat, replied at a hearing of the House Oversight Committee. “Donald Trump refused to accept the results, and unfortunately we have one of the world’s great political parties which has followed him off of the ledge of this electoral lunacy, and it’s dangerous for democracy.”

There are some Republicans who clearly, without squirming, acknowledge Biden’s win. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell is among them, along with Utah Sen. Mitt Romney, who was the GOP’s 2012 presidential nominee, and Nebraska Sen. Ben Sasse, for instance. Republican National Committee chairwoman Ronna McDaniel uttered the words last month.

“Painfully, Joe Biden won the election, and it’s very painful to watch. He’s the president. We know that,” McDaniel told Washington reporters at a breakfast hosted by The Christian Science Monitor.

But it’s clear not all Republicans know. In October, the second-ranking House Republican, Steve Scalise of Louisiana, repeatedly stopped short of disavowing Trump’s claims of fraud, asserting without evidence that “a number” of states “didn’t follow” their election laws.

On Friday, Josh Mandel, a GOP candidate for Senate in Ohio, called for more investigations into the vote in battleground states. “I think Trump won,” he said in an interview on Hewitt’s radio show.

“It is an important question and needs to be framed, I think, as I did. I expect it will be often asked and answered (or not) of many candidates in the year ahead,” Hewitt tweeted after the Minnesota debate.

The answers demonstrate the pressure for Republican primary candidates to appeal to, or at least not offend, the vocal Trump wing of the party, strategists say.

“In today’s grim Republican Party, the was-the-election-legit question has become a litmus test for whether you are truly loyal to the Republican Trumpist tribe or not,” said Mike Murphy, a veteran Republican strategist and Trump critic.

It took a while — that is, winning the Republican nomination for Virginia governor — for Glenn Youngkin to get there. In May, he said in an interview, “I mean, the reality is, and I have said this before, Joe Biden was legitimately elected our president.”

But in February, though he stopped short of saying Biden “stole” the election, he was equally hesitant to declare Biden had been “legitimately elected,” according to the nonpartisan political watchdog group Politifact.

Other candidates have moved in the other direction — away from the facts. In Ohio, where Republicans are vying for the nomination for an open Senate seat, candidate Bernie Moreno began airing an ad this week where he is quoted as saying, “President Trump says the election was stolen, and he’s right.”

Yet, just days after the election last year, Moreno urged conservatives on Twitter to “accept the results of the 140+ million votes cast,” and tweeted a congratulatory note to Biden for a “hard fought victory.”

On Wednesday, the discomfort for Republicans played out in full view from the debate stage in suburban Minneapolis.

One-by-one, five Minnesota Republicans running for governor talked around Hewitt’s question: “Did President Biden win a constitutional majority in the Electoral College.”

State Sen. Michelle Benson spilled 240 words recruiting Republican poll-watchers and blasting Minnesota’s Democratic secretary of state before Hewitt bluntly asked again: “Did President Biden win?”

Her answer: “He was certified by Congress as having won the Electoral College.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/16/2021 at 3:42 PM, I_M4_AU said:

Each election there are people that resist the outcome.  It is hilarious to see the Democrats push the *Big Lie* conspiracy after literally nobody with political clout has denied that Biden is the President of the U.S.  They have said that we need to tighten up voter regulations and are not for HR1 Voter Rights Act the Democrats want to pass.

The only people keeping the *Big Lie* talk alive is the Dems and the Reps aren’t listening.  If the Dems are so good at running the country why do we have such division when the Dems control Congress and the White House?

What? Trump has recently warned that anyone who doesn't support his fraud claims over the 2020 election would not get his support.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10089759/Trump-warns-Republicans-supporters-wont-vote-party-doesnt-make-voter-fraud-priority.html

10 hours ago, AU9377 said:

What? Trump has recently warned that anyone who doesn't support his fraud claims over the 2020 election would not get his support.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10089759/Trump-warns-Republicans-supporters-wont-vote-party-doesnt-make-voter-fraud-priority.html

It’s what I said, if I have said the Dems and the left leaning media I would have been repeating myself.  The media can only get clicks if they have Trump.  If they let him flail out there alone he will wither, but that is not what they want especially when it comes to *the deadly insurrection of January 6th*.

• Facepalm 1

Republicans elect a crazy, mentally unstable madman to be the head of their party but it's the "liberal MSM's" fault for keeping Trump relevant? Makes sense. 

The left wing media also explains why every major Republican candidate for office has made the pilgrimage to Mar-a-lago to beg for the Mango Mussolini's endorsement and fundraising support. 

It also explains why so many Republican political advertisements talk about Trump and his MAGA agenda.

Dang that liberal media keeping Trump relevant!!

Edited by CoffeeTiger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Republicans elect a crazy, mentally unstable madman to be the head of their party but it's the "liberal MSM's" fault for keeping Trump relevant? Makes sense. 

The left wing media also explains why every major Republican candidate for office has made the pilgrimage to Mar-a-lago to beg for the Mango Mussolini's endorsement and fundraising support. 

It also explains why so many Republican political advertisements talk about Trump and his MAGA agenda.

Dang that liberal media keeping Trump relevant!!

Here’s a thought.  Have the MSM and Democrats stop talking about Trump and see what happens.  You just can’t do it.

29 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Here’s a thought.  Have the MSM and Democrats stop talking about Trump and see what happens.  You just can’t do it.

You're right. I can't tell MSM what to write or not write about. you got me there. 

1 minute ago, CoffeeTiger said:

You're right. I can't tell MSM what to write or not write about. you got me there. 

It’s alright, they wouldn’t listen to you anyway.

On 12/19/2021 at 9:32 AM, I_M4_AU said:

It’s what I said, if I have said the Dems and the left leaning media I would have been repeating myself.  The media can only get clicks if they have Trump.  If they let him flail out there alone he will wither, but that is not what they want especially when it comes to *the deadly insurrection of January 6th*.

Yeah you betcha.  Trump is the Democrat's fault. :laugh:

Here's the math behind Donald Trump's continued dominance over the Republican Party

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/10/politics/donald-trump-2024/index.html

How the Republican Party became the party of Trump

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/06/11/how-republican-party-became-party-trump/

Jonah Goldberg: Trump remains in control of Republican Party

https://www.post-gazette.com/opinion/Op-Ed/2021/08/05/Jonah-Goldberg-Trump-remains-in-control-of-Republican-Party/stories/202108050022

CPAC Agenda Shows Trump Still Controls the Republican Party

A key upcoming conservative event features a list of participants – and notable absentees – that displays the former president’s continued grasp over the Republican Party.

https://www.usnews.com/news/the-report/articles/2021-07-09/cpac-agenda-shows-trump-still-controls-the-republican-party

Please, spare us your opinions.  It's becoming too tiring to debunk them.

43 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Please, spare us your opinions.  It's becoming too tiring to debunk them.

Can you debunk and opinion with another opinion?  Especially from WaPo, CNN et al?

8 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Can you debunk and opinion with another opinion?  Especially from WaPo, CNN et al?

Sure, if one opinion is actually supported by facts and data, while the other opinion is just an emotional preference pulled out of one's ass because you want to believe it.

Does that help?

19 hours ago, homersapien said:

Sure, if one opinion is actually supported by facts and data, while the other opinion is just an emotional preference pulled out of one's ass because you want to believe it.

Does that help?

Yes thank you for explaining all the Democrat media opinion pieces.  It is much clearer now where they got their “information” from.