New Offensive Coordinator - Austin Davis

Zeek

2 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

I’m just trying to see where Harsin said he will be calling the plays. Serious tho, did I miss it…🤔🤔

Contrary to common belief, the HC doesn’t have to tell the fan base who is calling the plays.  It’s refreshing to see a Head Coach not kowtow to the media the way other Head Coaches do.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Muscle Shoals Tiger said:

Ok so No ody has been named OC. Just rumor and speculation? 

Confirmed Bo and Tank gone?

Did I miss anything?

Interviewed Austin Davis

Bo Gone

Tank a maybe, but still talking to Harsin

22 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

NFL coaches calling plays

laflouer Green Bay Packers

Shanahan 49ers

Mcvay LA Rams

Sean Payton Saints

andy Reid chiefs

pete carroll seahawks

frank Reich Colts

kevin Stefanski browns

arthur smith falcons

kliff kingsbury cardinals

matt Nagy bear

Taylor bengals

sirriani eagles

College coaches

Riley

Sark

Kifflin

Day

Drinkwitz 

Jimbo 

napier

Satterfield

dykes

Brohm

norvell

leach

christ.

I will stop here, what terrible organizations, lol.   Clueless.

I'll make this easy for you.  You list 13 coaches; there are currently 130 D1 head coaches.  so that would be 10%.  HC turnover is every 4 years on average.  So since the only coach in that list has won a championship (Jimbo) there have now been on the order 520 D1 coaches...so you think because .0019 of college coaches that have called their own plays won a championship; it's a really good idea? 

5 minutes ago, japantiger said:

How's that working for Jimbo?

He has a national championship ring and a 7.5 million dollar salary so pretty well. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Didba said:

As soon as Gus's was negated by the rule changes he lost all edge his offense had regarding having defensive mismatches bc of lack of substitution plus the rule regarding olineman downfield being tweaked.

I disagree, to some degree - it wasn't just substitution. Gus's had some other things going for it too, such as the "eye candy," heavy reliance on odd formation and misdirection. What changed there was better conditioning for opposing teams, recognition and teaching of tendencies (like, the run was going to follow the fullback), etc.

Gus, despite prevailing opinion, was initially a very smart offensive mind, but he literally couldn't adapt his offense. It wasn't just a lack of smarts, it was because of the design. I remember chatter early on about even RPOs that weren't true RPOs, in that the read was made as part of the call. Same with some of the pass plays - the reason he didn't have route "trees" was because each play was meant to go to a certain person, with the rest of the receivers as blockers or decoys (remember the Prayer - it was supposed to go to Coates about 25 yards up the field and he was wide open because Ricardo Louis had taken the top off the defense). Even his pass game was an extension of the run game. To our detriment, clearly.

It's very similar to how Paul Johnson had success early on at GT with the triple option. It was novel and people didn't know how to teach that kind of assignment defense in a week, but as time went on and players that had been around a few years retained that, the efficacy went down. Gus's offense is almost the exact same - you defend it by playing your assignment. Other defenses hadn't seen it, but as his keys and tendencies became known and SEC defenses drilled on how to stop it year after year, its effectiveness totally waned. It's why we blew out Purdue - they hadn't had enough time to get everyone's assignments. (I still think that that game was probably the best game that CGM ever called). Having the substitution rule changed really had the effect of letting the defense just have an extra few seconds to get everyone in the right spot - the personnel match up was just gravy.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nurbis said:

He has a national championship ring and a 7.5 million dollar salary so pretty well. 

Impeccable logic...one guy won a championship doing this 9 years ago so we should all do it...can I manage your money?

1 minute ago, Auctoritas said:

I disagree, to some degree - it wasn't just substitution. Gus's had some other things going for it too, such as the "eye candy," heavy reliance on odd formation and misdirection. What changed there was better conditioning for opposing teams, recognition and teaching of tendencies (like, the run was going to follow the fullback), etc.

Gus, despite prevailing opinion, was initially a very smart offensive mind, but he literally couldn't adapt his offense. It wasn't just a lack of smarts, it was because of the design. I remember chatter early on about even RPOs that weren't true RPOs, in that the read was made as part of the call. Same with some of the pass plays - the reason he didn't have route "trees" was because each play was meant to go to a certain person, with the rest of the receivers as blockers or decoys (remember the Prayer - it was supposed to go to Coates about 25 yards up the field and he was wide open because Ricardo Louis had taken the top off the defense). Even his pass game was an extension of the run game. To our detriment, clearly.

It's very similar to how Paul Johnson had success early on at GT with the triple option. It was novel and people didn't know how to teach that kind of assignment defense in a week, but as time went on and players that had been around a few years retained that, the efficacy went down. Gus's offense is almost the exact same - you defend it by playing your assignment. Other defenses hadn't seen it, but as his keys and tendencies became known and SEC defenses drilled on how to stop it year after year, its effectiveness totally waned. It's why we blew out Purdue - they hadn't had enough time to get everyone's assignments. (I still think that that game was probably the best game that CGM ever called). Having the substitution rule changed really had the effect of letting the defense just have an extra few seconds to get everyone in the right spot - the personnel match up was just gravy.

Gus also did very well when he had a good OL. Sure the rule changes did a number on him, but when he could win the battle up front and get the ball moving on the ground, he did very well. 

2010, 2013, and 2017 all had good lines. 2010 had one other big thing in his favor, but that line was a good one too. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DAG said:

Don't trust anything Jboy has to say. Changes his opinion more than Stephen A Smith. We will see

Have to give him credit, he rarely goes all in, just 70-80% chance, then changes to 0 or 100 after talking to JHok.  I will give JBoy credit, he called the Coach Corn deal accurately, didn't handle his emotions well, but he knew it would hurt us.  Fire a guy after 4 games, when most of his assistants needed to be demoted.

I'll make this easy for you.  You list 13 coaches; there are currently 130 D1 head coaches.  so that would be 10%.  HC turnover is every 4 years on average.  So since the only coach in that list has won a championship (Jimbo) there have now been on the order 520 D1 coaches...so you think because .0019 of college coaches that have called their own plays won a championship; it's a really good idea? 

Your response doesn’t make it a bad idea. Those are some pretty darn good head coaches calling their own plays. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I don't know the answer but just saying this seems to be the way it's shaping up to be. I'd rather Harsin call the plays if we're not getting an experienced OC that has called plays. Harsin wanted a Boise guy and missed. And has seemed to missed on the WK OC. At this point he may be down to the OC having to be a game planner and QB coach. Is it easy? No, but if he feels that's the best way for us to succeed then, it is what it is. 

This would be the 1st indication to me that he is not really the guy to lead this program to championships.  If you can't get a quality OC to come to Auburn, then you're not the guy.  I hope this speculation is as accurate as everything else I've seen here on Harsin's coaching hirings/firings.  

Just now, Potatooooooes!! said:

Your response doesn’t make it a bad idea. Those are some pretty darn good head coaches calling their own plays. 

Not winning championships.  We need a championship head coach.  We need a championship staff.  To coach and develop championship talent.  You don't win championships taking out one of these legs of the stool.

7 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

Spot on.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

I’m just trying to see where Harsin said he will be calling the plays. Serious tho, did I miss it…🤔🤔

It appears as an assumption if he lands a non OC as OC.

I quit listening to JBoy when he let the Coach Corn firing get too personal and went on a recorded rant.  Felt like that was the end of him getting any inside scoop from this staff.

1 minute ago, AUDevil said:

I quit listening to JBoy when he let the Coach Corn firing get too personal and went on a recorded rant.  Felt like that was the end of him getting any inside scoop from this staff.

I think Corn was his insider. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, japantiger said:

I didn't try listing them all dips hit

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Gus also did very well when he had a good OL. Sure the rule changes did a number on him, but when he could win the battle up front and get the ball moving on the ground, he did very well. 

2010, 2013, and 2017 all had good lines. 2010 had one other big thing in his favor, but that line was a good one too. 

Yeah strong o-line and phenomenal talent at QB and skill positions.  2017 is more on KJ on the offense, and our defense than anyone else.  Many things about Gus I don't understand, but his QB recruiting just doesn't compute. Gus took the low hanging fruit, meaning kids he didn't have to fight real hard to get their commitment.  

At least Harsin stated his preference, and has been recruiting that type QB.  I don't really agree, but that what he wants.  I'd love to see Davis get the start in the bowl game, but I don't think he will see the field.  Maybe he isn't good enough, but Harsin's comments this summer about tall, accurate passers, has me concerned for Davis' future with Auburn.  Gus took the low hanging fruit, meaning kids he didn't have to fight real hard to get their commitment.  

• Like 1

Not winning championships.  We need a championship head coach.  We need a championship staff.  To coach and develop championship talent.  You don't win championships taking out one of these legs of the stool.

I mean, I agree. But if Andy is a good position coach I personally don’t see the problem. 

20 minutes ago, japantiger said:

It’s a great idea when it works, although most can’t or opt not to do it.  Even if Harsin is calling plays next season, it doesn’t mean it’s a permanent thing.  He should do what ever he feels is in the best interest of the program.  

• Like 2

Guest MustardSeed
27 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Let’s make it easier… that’s not a complete list so the math related to that list as being absolute isn’t relevant or remotely accurate 😂. I will give props for at least attempting to get good numbers though 😎

15 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

I think his Sunday mimosas were hitting hard that day.  He also keeps talking about his "girlfriend" and how cool she is.  Feels an awful lot like a Manti T'eo situation.