New Offensive Coordinator - Austin Davis

Zeek

Since Harsin is supposedly going full Gus and calling plays then OC is just for QBs, recruiting, and scouting/game planning that Harsin doesn't have time to do.  Do what Gus wouldn't do and get someone with a rep of developing talent at the QB position and let them do their thing.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, au302 said:

I believe Harsin did this with Zak Hill when he first got to Boise. Hill was still young and relatively inexperienced. Harsin called plays the first year and then Hill gradually took over. Worked out well, hopefully it does with Davis

Interesting thoughts and seems plausible. I would be ok with this. I'm just an armchair QB, but there were times last year during Bobo's playcalling when they would show Harsin on the sidelines looking totally pissed/frustrated. At least this way, Harsin is really putting his stamp on the team and melding the offense in his vision. The buck would really stop with him. Also, the Joe Brady career path comparison is interesting as well. I just hope we come up with a decent QB to run whatever system we implement.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Go look at his resume and look at Joe Brady's right before he went to LSU.  Similar trajectories.

Stupid to knock a guy who is young.  So many young guys doing huge things.  The NFL has a ton of real young HCs and OCs.  

• Like 2

I know Oregon is going after Dilly for OC.  I would be very happy to land Davis with my extremely limited knowledge on him or his capabilities.

Edited by abw0004

I mean, at this point what do we have to lose with this hire?  Either this works out and we praise Harsin for the correct call/hire or we boo him when it explodes and he's gone in a few years.  

If this is who he wants, let him to do it.  If he wants to put his future here on his back of calling plays, let him to do it.

We, as fans, love the team and will love it no matter what happens.  He is fighting for his job and I don't think he accepts failure.  

• Like 7

Guest MustardSeed
2 minutes ago, DAG said:

So a HC calling full plays pre-dates Gus Malzahn. Just wanted to make that distinction to the readers out there. It works for quite a few people. The problem with Gus is he honestly has no conception of a true offense. He was ahead of the game by using the rules to his advantage and then when the rules changed, it exposed that he had no clue how to actually pivot and create sophisticated game plans. In addition to not developing players as you pointed out.

This is fact.  Once he couldn’t catch teams trying to substitute his gameplanning fell apart and never recovered. 

41 minutes ago, AUTigerTime said:

So he's  been an NFL QB coach for like 3 yrs. Is that really the extent of his resume? Why are we getting excited about him again?

Sounding more like Harsin will call the plays and the OC will be game planning and developing QBs. 

2 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

This is fact.  Once he couldn’t catch teams trying to substitute his gameplanning fell apart and never recovered. 

Why is why I call him the T-Pain of CFB world. His auto-tune was going fast, but once everyone else figured it out, he kind of dropped off lol.

• Haha 4

Davis learning from Russel Wilson and being able to use that in recruiting is priceless.  Russel is a master level of his craft at the highest of levels.  This has the potential to be an elite hire and in the worst case it is a Rhett hire and I don’t mean that disrespectfully.

• Like 2

Seahawks are trash and pitnofnthe playoffs...any chance the announcement could be made before week 18?

Edited by W.E.D

If we can’t get Dell, I’d be happy with this. I want an OC who wants to prove himself. Best case scenario is he comes in and makes a huge impact and then dips for an NFL OC job in 24 or 25. Sounds crazy, but I want results I’m not interested in someone who wants to be Harsin’s side kick for 5+ years. 

I want an OC who wants to recruit and constantly help evolve the offense. 

Edited by woodford
  • Like 1

Just now, woodford said:

If we can’t get Dell, I’d be happy with this. I want an OC who wants to prove himself. Best case scenario is he comes on and makes a huge impact and then dips for an NFL OC job in 24 or 25. Sounds crazy, but I want results I’m not interested in someone who wants to be Harsin’s side kick for 5+ years. 

I want an OC who wants to recruit and constantly help evolve the offense. 

Ppl need to stop calling for Dell every chance. He ain't coming 

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, DAG said:

So a HC calling full plays pre-dates Gus Malzahn. Just wanted to make that distinction to the readers out there. It works for quite a few people. The problem with Gus is he honestly has no conception of a true offense. He was ahead of the game by using the rules to his advantage and then when the rules changed, it exposed that he had no clue how to actually pivot and create sophisticated game plans. In addition to not developing players as you pointed out.

As soon as Gus's was negated by the rule changes he lost all edge his offense had regarding having defensive mismatches bc of lack of substitution plus the rule regarding olineman downfield being tweaked.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

Go look at his resume and look at Joe Brady's right before he went to LSU.  Similar trajectories.

This is why people are excited.   It’s a gamble, no doubt.   But there is potential for it to pay off.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Sounding more like Harsin will call the plays and the OC will be game planning and developing QBs. 

Hhhhmmm, simple concept in leadership; if you're doing someone else's job you're not doing your own.   The HC calling plays is a really bad idea.  Either get an OC or just admit you're not good enough to run the program.  No in between crap.  We need a HC and an outstanding OC...period.  If this guy is the OC, then  great. 

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

I like the idea. Harsin will be calling the plays. It's his shot to prove he knows how to make this offense a success. If he doesn't, well there you have it. I think Davis will prove a strong draw for recruits and will hopefully do a bang up job developing them which has been sadly lacking for years. Now on to solving the recruitment problem with the offensive line.

• Like 1

J

8 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Hhhhmmm, simple concept in leadership; if you're doing someone else's job you're not doing your own.   The HC calling plays is a really bad idea.  Either get an OC or just admit you're not good enough to run the program.  No in between crap.  We need a HC and an outstanding OC...period.  If this guy is the OC, then  great. 

Jimbo Fisher says hello...

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, japantiger said:

I don't know the answer but just saying this seems to be the way it's shaping up to be. I'd rather Harsin call the plays if we're not getting an experienced OC that has called plays. Harsin wanted a Boise guy and missed. And has seemed to missed on the WK OC. At this point he may be down to the OC having to be a game planner and QB coach. Is it easy? No, but if he feels that's the best way for us to succeed then, it is what it is. 

3 minutes ago, shabby said:

I like the idea. Harsin will be calling the plays. It's his shot to prove he knows how to make this offense a success. If he doesn't, well there you have it. I think Davis will prove a strong draw for recruits and will hopefully do a bang up job developing them which has been sadly lacking for years. Now on to solving the recruitment problem with the offensive line.

I don't have a problem with it either and at this point would prefer he call plays. He missed on at least 1 OC target. Look, if i'm Harsin I know that i will not likely survive another 6-6 season. So if i'm going down, i'm doing it my way. 

2 hours ago, AUTigerTime said:

So he's  been an NFL QB coach for like 3 yrs. Is that really the extent of his resume? Why are we getting excited about him again?

In a discussion on another thread it appears that Austin Davis is a better QB than Bo just based on being in the league, therefore, he would be respected by any of our QBs.

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Six years (2012-18) and threw 378 passes which is a lot more experience in the NFL than most QBs ever see. Then he went straight into coaching and became the youngest position coach in the NFL. That's kind of impressive. Almost threw for 11k yards in college and threw 29 more passing touchdowns than any Auburn quarterback ever has. Also was a decent running threat so he theoretically should understand guys like Dee a little better.

It's definitely not a proven OC but he isn't someone I would turn my nose up towards.

In all seriousness, I think the QBs would be very excited about this possibility and it gives Harsin a *do over* as to how he would like to see the program progress.  We, as fans, have liked to blame each hire on PTB meddling, but this seems to be the opposite of that.  It will allow Harsin to have his program and either sink or swim with the way he as set it up.

4 minutes ago, Tigercowboy1971 said:

Jimbo Fisher says hello...

And Ryan Day along with a host of other HCs that came from the offensive side of the ball

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Explain that comment through the Saints lens. Lots of very good College and NFL programs are successful with the HC calling plays.

• Like 1