New Offensive Coordinator - Austin Davis

Zeek

8 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Let’s make it easier… that’s not a complete list so the math related to that list as being absolute isn’t relevant or remotely accurate 😂. I will give props for at least attempting to get good numbers though 😎

Right!!

The reason Saban wins championships is because he doesn't call plays. If anything, Saban proves that it doesn't matter who calls plays if you have a good system in place with all of his coaching turnover season after season.  It is more about who is executing the plays.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Since Harsin is supposedly going full Gus and calling plays then OC is just for QBs, recruiting, and scouting/game planning that Harsin doesn't have time to do.  Do what Gus wouldn't do and get someone with a rep of developing talent at the QB position and let them do their thing.  

no one goes full Gus.

the bottom line is no one knows anything. Everyone is speculating. Harsin isn't revealing his cards to fans or media right now. That's his MO

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

25 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Right!!

The reason Saban wins championships is because he doesn't call plays. If anything, Saban proves that it doesn't matter who calls plays if you have a good system in place with all of his coaching turnover season after season.  It is more about who is executing the plays.

Heavy on the people executing the plays

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

no one goes full Gus.

the bottom line is no one knows anything. Everyone is speculating. Harsin isn't revealing his cards to fans or media right now. That's his MO

Exactly…I actually was looking for where he said he was gonna be calling plays….

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Let’s make it easier… that’s not a complete list so the math related to that list as being absolute isn’t relevant or remotely accurate 😂. I will give props for at least attempting to get good numbers though 😎

The numerator is....and over a longer period of time than 2013...so the %ages get smaller.  This is not helping your argument.

49 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

no one goes full Gus.

This^^^^

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

Right!!

With their roster, an OC could likely succeed in most games by choosing playcalls with darts and a play chart.

5 hours ago, DAG said:

So a HC calling full plays pre-dates Gus Malzahn. Just wanted to make that distinction to the readers out there. It works for quite a few people. The problem with Gus is he honestly has no conception of a true offense. He was ahead of the game by using the rules to his advantage and then when the rules changed, it exposed that he had no clue how to actually pivot and create sophisticated game plans. In addition to not developing players as you pointed out.

I think part of the downfall of Gus is that he never really earned his stripes per se in college. He went r om high school to basically OC immediately, then head coach so, he never had the exposure to learn how to run a college program. 

Whether Harsin is the leading play-caller, on Saturday's, the swiftness with which he fired Bobo signals to me he isn't going to baby-sit or endure more lost games due to crappy decisions from the booth.  He will be more involved regardless.  

I think a young bright guy, who isn't an established, seasoned coach, is exactly what we need.  Some one to collaborate with, that isn't so established you just turn loose.  Harsin was pretty pissed after a number of the losses in which 3-4 boneheaded calls costs Auburn a win.  Dude ain't letting another season burn with inexcusable mistakes.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GTNupe11 said:

Didn't Dabo call plays to?...

The only time he was ever an OC was in 2008. The rest of the time he has only ever been a position coach. 

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

Right!!

I think if you have the right players, it doesn’t matter who calls the plays. I’m assuming that you are assuming correct plays would be called either way.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, God Cam It said:

I think part of the downfall of Gus is that he never really earned his stripes per se in college. He went r om high school to basically OC immediately, then head coach so, he never had the exposure to learn how to run a college program. 

I'll give it to him, Gus did more with less coaching ability than any coach in history.  His genius was implementing a fast-break offense in a world of play-clock milkers.  He kissed the right asses and was hired to be on Nutt's staff.  Still amazing to think.  As far as Gus learning, folks tried to teach him, folks tried to scheme with him in the offseason, the dude is arrogant and probably a little self-conscious.  Can't grow if you aren't willing to learn.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, japantiger said:

The HC calling plays is a really bad idea

Andy Reid and Sean Payton have quite literally won championships doing this. Your logic is completely misconstrued because you’re basing this way of thinking on Gus Malzahn who was a good play caller in 2013 and is currently not a good play caller. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, USATiger said:

He kissed the right asses and was hired to be on Nutt's staff. 

Not to be overly picky but didn't get hired on at Walmart U because of those 4 players of his that Nutt wanted?

Guest MustardSeed
1 hour ago, japantiger said:

The numerator is....and over a longer period of time than 2013...so the %ages get smaller.  This is not helping your argument.

#1 It wasn’t my argument

#2 you still missed the entire point. The list he gave was just a small fraction of HCs that call plays currently. To even attempt to do any type of accurate math here you’d need to know which HCs out of all the current teams call their own plays. If you want to undertake determining that number by all means, have at it. Otherwise the numbers are just made up and meaningless. It’s like me saying there are 3 guys I know of that smoke and you saying there are 330 million people in this country so 3 is a tiny fraction.  While that fact is true, it doesn’t mean anything at all because there are many more people that smoke not factored into the equation. To do accurate math you need the real factual and accurate numbers. Not just the total number of guys a guy came up with off the top of his head compared to all the coaches over a long period of time. It’s extremely faulty math. 

4 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Davis learning from Russel Wilson and being able to use that in recruiting is priceless.  Russel is a master level of his craft at the highest of levels.  This has the potential to be an elite hire and in the worst case it is a Rhett hire and I don’t mean that disrespectfully.

If only we had a Russell Wilson clone he could coach...

4 hours ago, Tigercowboy1971 said:

J

Jimbo Fisher says hello...

So does Lane, Leach, Mullen et.al.

There is no doubt you can hide some weaknesses and take advantage of strength's with great play calling. The problem is while you can look a little better if you don't have the horses there is a limit to how much you can do.  If you have the horses then sometimes even bad play calls work just because of talent.  The bama's of the world get the best talent on day one and enough of it that they can be hard asses when a player does not buy into their system because they can replace that player with little to no drop-off in talent. Because they start with so much talent they put a lot of players into NFL hence helping to recruit.  Add to that the ability to recruit outside the rules with no consequences and they will always be near top while Saban is there.

If you can't initially match the bama and georgia's type classes you can't be to far behind and you must develop the players you get. Also your recruiting classes have to have balance and their ranking at the end of 3-4 years based on retention and improvement should he equal to or higher then when players were recruited.

Gus's problem was he was not way behind in class ranking but he was way behind in both balance of class filling all the needs and in retention of players. The retention was often because of not utilizing and developing the players properly.  That is why we have seen weak O-line for years. If O-line is weak better play calling helps but can't hide all the blemishes.

Will Harsin do better time will tell. It is way to early to say he is a failure just like it is way to early to say he will be our Alpha head coach that we have been needing for years.

So far Harsin has said all the right things and I have seen some players buy into his philosophy but he has a long hard path to follow as he is competing against multiple juggernauts on the recruiting front at this time (bama, Georgia, A&M under Jimbo, and LSU despite how bad their coach was, Clemson) plus FSU for no reason I can fathom.

So bringing in Austin Davis may be the type step he has to take to help with recruiting on the O-side as he is young, energetic and an ex-pro player. It will be a gamble but I can see why he thinks it might be necessary.

Edited by AuburnNTexas

2 hours ago, USATiger said:

Whether Harsin is the leading play-caller, on Saturday's, the swiftness with which he fired Bobo signals to me he isn't going to baby-sit or endure more lost games due to crappy decisions from the booth.  He will be more involved regardless.  

I think a young bright guy, who isn't an established, seasoned coach, is exactly what we need.  Some one to collaborate with, that isn't so established you just turn loose.  Harsin was pretty pissed after a number of the losses in which 3-4 boneheaded calls costs Auburn a win.  Dude ain't letting another season burn with inexcusable mistakes.

You nailed this...get the absolute brightest guy you can and then review what they do.  But you don't have to be in every play calling detail to the point you can't  see the forest or the broader trends of the game.  

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

If only we had a Russell Wilson clone he could coach...

So does Lane, Leach, Mullen et.al.

How many championships between these guys?  0.

7 minutes ago, japantiger said:

How many championships between these guys?  0.

Very good point. 

How many between Brian Kelly, Kirby Smart, James Franklin, Lincoln Riley , et. al

• Haha 1

It's clear QB development is paramount to Harsin.  For that reason, I like the hire.  Davis is a former NFL QB and did very well at Southern Miss as a player.  I am a little apprehensive about him not having play-caller experience, but I am sure he and Harsin will work that out.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AcUmen said:

It's clear QB development is paramount to Harsin.  For that reason, I like the hire.  Davis is a former NFL QB and did very well at Southern Miss as a player.  I am a little apprehensive about him not having play-caller experience, but I am sure he and Harsin will work that out.  

If this pans out, I actually think that dynamic could work in our favor.

2 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

#1 It wasn’t my argument

#2 you still missed the entire point. The list he gave was just a small fraction of HCs that call plays currently. To even attempt to do any type of accurate math here you’d need to know which HCs out of all the current teams call their own plays. If you want to undertake determining that number by all means, have at it. Otherwise the numbers are just made up and meaningless. It’s like me saying there are 3 guys I know of that smoke and you saying there are 330 million people in this country so 3 is a tiny fraction.  While that fact is true, it doesn’t mean anything at all because there are many more people that smoke not factored into the equation. To do accurate math you need the real factual and accurate numbers. Not just the total number of guys a guy came up with off the top of his head compared to all the coaches over a long period of time. It’s extremely faulty math. 

The denominator is irrelevant.  The bigger the denominator gets the lower the success %...you do understand you just keep making my point right?