New Offensive Coordinator - Austin Davis

Zeek

Guest MustardSeed
16 minutes ago, jknighton said:

Don't have a dog in this fight, but Pete Carroll has always been a Defensive coach.

And he calls plays  HCs can call defense too 😉.  In fact I believe he calls offense plays now 

Edited by MustardSeed

14 minutes ago, jknighton said:

Don't have a dog in this fight, but Pete Carroll has always been a Defensive coach.

Don’t be coming in here with facts that don’t fit the argument.  😂

Guest MustardSeed
5 minutes ago, AUatHeart said:

Don’t be coming in here with facts that don’t fit the argument.  😂

5 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

And he calls plays  HCs can call defense too 😉.  In fact I believe he calls offense plays now 

😂😂

14 hours ago, JMassie11 said:

Of course when I get locked out of my account for a week this board turns into a dumpster fire.

You were gone?

Glad to see you back!

• Haha 1

Play calling is an art, not a science. Based on many things and not reliant on watching a ton of film if you are familiar with your offense. Intuition, gut feeling, feeling the flow of the game, momentum, etc. That's why so few are really good at it. Analytics, film study, logic, play sheets, etc. don't make you good at it.

• Like 5

“The best executive is the one who has sense enough to pick good men to do what he wants done, and self-restraint to keep from meddling with them while they do it.” Teddy Roosevelt...

We'll see where this lands....

By the way, does anyone have any idea who is actually going to be the OC?

1 minute ago, japantiger said:

Literally the thread title 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, japantiger said:

So, no.

If you can read the thread title, then you know who it'll be

• Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, japantiger said:

“The best executive is the one who has sense enough to pick good men to do what he wants done, and self-restraint to keep from meddling with them while they do it.” Teddy Roosevelt...

We'll see where this lands....

Pretty sure it's looking like Harsin interviewed Davis formally and am offer is going to be extended. Or at least that's what I thought I read.

On 12/13/2021 at 10:38 AM, AUTigerTime said:

So he's  been an NFL QB coach for like 3 yrs. Is that really the extent of his resume? Why are we getting excited about him again?

He is in his 2nd year currently, so one full season and this one.  He was an offensive assistant before that and was playing prior to that role.

13 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Literally the thread title 

13 hours ago, japantiger said:

So, no.

Yes

47 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

Didnt Bird say he was hired as the new OC or did I misread that in the recruiting thread?

He did.  I read the same thing.

I think it's a really good upside hire, although a lot of risk. I assume this is also a cheap hire.

Harsin will probably call plays for a bit then turn it over. Kind of be the mentor of a really smart sbd innovative young mind.

Love this over a boring retread

Love this hire, especially with Harsin looking to mentor a young, up and coming coach into play-calling duties eventually.  7 years in the NFL as a back-up.  You don't do that unless you have a deep understanding of the complexities of NFL scheme, for a bunch of different teams, too.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

So. This guy works with Russell Wilson. Does that mean things might be looking up for DD?

Probably not anytime soon. Ppl compare him to Wilson and Murray. But he doesn't have near the arm strength as those two and is probably a few inches shorter than both. 

Maybe he's the anomaly, seems like a good kid

4 minutes ago, Didba said:

Love this hire, especially with Harsin looking to mentor a young, up and coming coach into play-calling duties eventually.  7 years in the NFL as a back-up.  You don't do that unless you have a deep understanding of the complexities of NFL scheme, for a bunch of different teams, too.

The hottest OC in the NFL essentially went this path. 7 year back up, QB coach for a year and then straight to OC. Tons of ppl were calling for Kellen Moore too. Maybe Austin Davis is Moore 2 years ago???

Don't need to be a position coach for 20 years to be a good OC

• Love 1

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Probably not anytime soon. Ppl compare him to Wilson and Murray. But he doesn't have near the arm strength as those two and is probably a few inches shorter than both. 

Maybe he's the anomaly, seems like a good kid

You never know, DD is actually the same height as Kyler Murray if his height I just quickly googled for both is correct.  Normally, the exception though not the rule.