Best Surprise

AUpreacherman22

2 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

To counter the Biggest Bust thread, I thought we could share a positive spin and talk about guys that didn’t come in with very high expectations but turned out to be a very pleasant surprise!

There are several of them.  I will need y’all’s help to jog my memory.   

Of course a Preacher would start the most enjoyable thread on Christmas Day.   Thanks for getting this one going!! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Roger McCreary.  3 star that we flipped from south Alabama on signing day to All American.  I’d call that a pleasant surprise 

Edited by aublaise

28 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

Who was the [sic] running back that came in for the Iron bowl during the tuberville Era and went to Tuscaloosa and delivered? That was a nice surprise even if it was just one game.

Fixed your post for you.  Tre Smith.   Dude was wicked on either a snow board or wake board.   Can't remember which.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

Who was the white boy running back that came in for the Iron bowl during the tuberville Era and went to Tuscaloosa and delivered? That was a nice surprise even if it was just one game.

https://auburntigers.com/news/2020/6/4/football-where-are-they-now-tre-smith-remembers-perfect-opportunity-at-auburn.aspx

• Like 3

My brother gone but not forgotten Zack Gilbert. No scholly. Graduated with honors was selected to prestigious business grad program. Miss him.

Honorable Jerraud Powers one of the best corners to come thru here

Karlos Dansby

Seth Williams

Sammie Coates

• Like 1

Genuine surprises:

1. Nick Marshall  ( I will buy you a burger if you saw this coming). 

2.  Kevin Greene  ( I remember his 2nd or 3rd season  - people were like "wasn't  he playing intramural?"  He was in ROTC and I was almost  convinced there was a different Kevin Greene on the football team. )  This story was truly crazy and to be on campus at the time, made it special. 

3.  for me Brent Fullwood (he seemed to come out of no where; I knew who he was, but he was big and such a close imitation of Bo)

4.  Nick Fairley

I believe it would be time well spent if we only recruited OTs named Nick....honestly, the odds are in our favor.  

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Genuine surprises:

1. Nick Marshall  ( I will buy you a burger if you saw this coming). 

4.  Nick Fairley

I believe it would be time well spent if we only recruited OTs named Nick....honestly, the odds are in our favor.  

Nick Davis!!!!   He would be the best AU man ever!!!

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Daniel Thomas for me.  Lowest ranked player in the 2016 class.  He was a low 3* and the 100th best safety and the 1,523 best player in the country.  Was not even given an offer until signing day in February because we were waiting for other players.  One of the hardest hitting safeties we have had in a while and played clean (no targeting calls).  Still in the NFL playing for the Jaguars.  My former man crush.

A686E257-7D05-4B3C-9412-0946FEC4542B.jpeg

I loved this guy as well. He wanted to be at Auburn so badly and had the attitude  that said “just give me a chance and you’ll see”.   

• Love 1