Coach Derek Mason out?

Tony4AU

6 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Derek mason was known but for what? He was successful at Stanford as a defensive coordinator but after that, not so much. Pelini was thought to be a Rock Star in the same way and for the same reasons as Mason.

Mason was the overwhelming celebrated hire that Harsin made. WAY more celebrated than Harsin being hired because no one knew who the hell he was.

• Like 1

The thing is u need the horses to run with the  big dogs. Coaching them up is one thing but u need those players that have the higher ceilings. For example Cincy is a well coached team and my opinion but Bama just lined up and said u can’t stop us because we have more talent than u.

I still don’t think Kirby is the greatest coach but the talent he gets will mask a lot of that. Even as depleted as Auburn was there was enough talent on defense to keep them in the game. We will really get the full picture once the 2023 starts and the holdovers are gone. Whether we agree on the hire or not at this point like @DAGsaid in an earlier post this truly needs to work and will leave it at that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, e808 said:

The thing is u need the horses to run with the  big dogs. Coaching them up is one thing but u need those players that have the higher ceilings. For example Cincy is a well coached team and my opinion but Bama just lined up and said u can’t stop us because we have more talent than u.

I still don’t think Kirby is the greatest coach but the talent he gets will mask a lot of that. Even as depleted as Auburn was there was enough talent on defense to keep them in the game. We will really get the full picture once the 2023 starts and the holdovers are gone. Whether we agree on the hire or not at this point like @DAGsaid in an earlier post this truly needs to work and will leave it at that.

Call me bias but us passing on CKS still haunts me. Between him and Hugh freeze gets me every time. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Just hopping back in to see how many people are burying Harsin for not meshing with a guy that blew a 30 point lead to Mike leach.

In all seriousness, Mason is a good coach, Harsin is a good coach, they apparently didn't get along. If Harsin can't get it done with his guys, axe him after 3, but at least he tried.

I really don't see a good reason to continue to down him so much after one season. It's not like Bobo and Mason were setting the woods on fire. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

Call me bias but us passing on CKS still haunts me. Between him and Hugh freeze gets me every time. 

I am with u on Freeze but I understand why it didn’t happen. I really believe his story would be similar to CBP if given a second chance

Edited by e808
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Call me bias but us passing on CKS still haunts me.

Amen brother...I felt like he would've given us the same success he has given UGA.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Viper said:

Prior to 12/22/21, ask 100 SEC fans who Harsin and Cadillac are. The overwhelming response would have been...who the hell is Harsin?

Ask the same 100 today and what would they say? In one day Harsin will have been hired 1 year and 1 month. The negative will feed the agenda of a poster.  Winning tones the negative down. Harsin and all Auburn people are not happy with a 6 and 7 season.  Several posters want Harsin to not succeed so they can be right in their predictions. Some "say" Harsin rumples boosters. Criticize all you want to.  Harsin is the man in charge. He is the Auburn coach. We would be bettered served to pull for a first year coach than against.  Finding fault among us is easy.  Thankful to turn the background noise down and let the man work.

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, Viper said:

Prior to 12/22/20, ask 100 SEC fans who Harsin and Cadillac are. The overwhelming response would have been...who the hell is Harsin?

Lmao. Before dude coaches in yhe SEC ask 100 fans.

That's a damn awful argument.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ausburn2 said:

Ask the same 100 today and what would they say? In one day Harsin will have been hired 1 year and 1 month. The negative will feed the agenda of a poster.  Winning tones the negative down. Harsin and all Auburn people are not happy with a 6 and 7 season.  Several posters want Harsin to not succeed so they can be right in their predictions. Some "say" Harsin rumples boosters. Criticize all you want to.  Harsin is the man in charge. He is the Auburn coach. We would be bettered served to pull for a first year coach than against.  Finding fault among us is easy.  Thankful to turn the background noise down and let the man work.

I have no insider information at all. I’m not even a donor to this site but my gut tells me that some of this negative media is coming from a leak within. I think there is still a power struggle going on and some are trying to implode things at a rapid pace and posture for a position of more power within the athletic department. It just all seems too negative for some of it not to be kinda just trumped up garbage. My gut may be totally wrong but I don’t think so. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AUx said:

Yeah. Lot of comments from around the community like, "not sure if he's 'our kind of person'," and "he may not 'fit in'." Well, with a stellar reputation of maintaining a mediocre JABA status quo, maybe some self-awareness is overdue. The best plan is just churn coaching hires till we come up with 'one of our kind' so egos will be fulfilled and championships will be perpetually in our bright future. What a family.

BossHogg_radio.jpeg

Yep. It's identity politics. The "culture fit" in the SEC criticism that he gets is comical. Idaho is out west, but people want to group it with LA or Seattle. Not even close. Not that it matters, I don't care where coaches are from. These comments about them not being "our people" or not "Auburn men" is ridiculous. Hell, BP is from Boston 

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, e808 said:

I am with u on Freeze but I understand why it didn’t happen. I really believe his story would be similar to CBP if given a second chance

Not at all. Bruce is a fun, likeable person. Freeze is……..not. Bruce had some recruits to a bbq against NCAA rules. Freeze gets hookers on the school’s dime. Very, very different situations. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, zeroforwinger said:

Not at all. Bruce is a fun, likeable person. Freeze is……..not. Bruce had some recruits to a bbq against NCAA rules. Freeze gets hookers on the school’s dime. Very, very different situations. 

I am saying similar in regards of learning from his mistakes. Freeze seems pretty likeable to me and seems to be doing well at Liberty.  I believe most schools do dirt. Some get caught and some dont. The hooker situation seems to be something that he and his wife have to deal with. There are coaches that have done much worse.

Edited by e808

5 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Auburn has fired exactly one coach in less than five seasons over the last seventy years.  He was winless in conference his fourth year.....

And won a national championship year 2. Hope Harsin repeats! 

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Lmao. Before dude coaches in yhe SEC ask 100 fans.

That's a damn awful argument.

Yep.  He's viewing this whole deal from what he believes is the center of the universe.  Not just the SEC, his world begins and ends at the Lee County line.  That's why he (or somebody just like him) is hung up on that mysterious "inner city Atlanta" deal.  Incredibly myopic perspective.

3 hours ago, Viper said:

Mason was the overwhelming celebrated hire that Harsin made. WAY more celebrated than Harsin being hired because no one knew who the hell he was.

I've seen, just in this thread alone, that you mention wanting a "rock star head coach" and you mentioned "rock star coordinator." So it's obvious you are wanting a rock star, big name coach whenever Auburn decides to hire another head coach. If you are expecting or wanting our PTB to do that, you are setting yourself up to be disappointed. When has Auburn EVER hired a rock star head coach in football? 

Shug Jordan wasn't a big name.

Barfield was promoted from OC to HC

Pat Dye was coaching Wyoming

Terry Bowden was coaching Samford

Tuberville was barely .500 at Ole Miss

Chizik was about to get canned at ISU

Malzahn had 1 season at Arkansas St.

Harsin was 69-19 at Boise State

So tell me why do you set yourself up to be disappointed wanting a big name HC at Auburn?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, DAG said:

Kirby Smart would have bolted for UGA the moment that job opened up.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, e808 said:

I totally agree with you about the talent will win out over coaching most of the time. That 2001 Miami Hurricanes team is considered by many to be the greatest college team ever. The roster reads like a who's who of NFL greats. They went undefeated and won the Natty. Then in 2002 they were undefeated until Ohio State beat them in the National Title game. Larry Coker was the head coach of that team. Ed Orgeron has arguably the other greatest season in college history with LSU in 2019. Gene Chizik in 2010. Those 3 right off the top of my head prove that a team full of 5 stars or a team with 2 all-time greats like Cam and Fairley will make an average coach look great.

Kirby Smart once said "There's not a coach alive that can regularly scheme around top talent." 

• Love 2

7 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

I'm thinking we can probably remove the question mark in the title now. 😉

Yeah, probably.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AEAugirl said:

Kirby Smart would have bolted for UGA the moment that job opened up.  

We don’t know that. That’s a big assumption. That was the lame excuse people were using to NOT give him the job.

8 hours ago, DAG said:

It does kind of feel like the CKS thing will be our biggest regret for a long time. 

8 hours ago, DAG said:

My brain temporarily interpreted Kevin Steele ……for about thirty seconds I thought you had really gone off the deep end😬

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Viper said:

Off topic I know but any updates on Gus’s wife?  Hopefully she is better.

21 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

My brain temporarily interpreted Kevin Steele ……for about thirty seconds I thought you had really gone off the deep end😬

Omg nooooo