Coach Derek Mason out?

Tony4AU

16 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

Ok. Let’s look at the bigger picture here.

So… CDM is a old HC SEC re-tread that was dismissed from his last job and might be hired (no confirmation yet) to lesser prominent program. On the same side of the ball we have CZE who is a Auburn man who is young and hungry and with a very bright future getting a promotion to stay and work with the program. 

If a person says the downward spiral is evident based on one coach leaving than they are not being fairly or honestly objective. 

Three coaches that Harsin hired and the rest of the first season coaching or lack-there-of that I don’t think we need to go back and re-look at.

11 hours ago, DAG said:

We don’t know that. That’s a big assumption. That was the lame excuse people were using to NOT give him the job.

Correct, it is a bit of revisionist history.  Also, Kirby was inches away from accepting the USCe job.  UGA caught wind, immediately fired CMR and solely focused on KS.

Who knows, KS could have been going into his 4th year with multiple top classes.  Or he could have been a disaster and UGA didn't want him

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lawsam said:

Off topic I know but any updates on Gus’s wife?  Hopefully she is better.

There is a pinned thread at the top of the football forum for discussion about it. The most recent update was from Saturday and there were no specifics about her condition, just that things were looking pretty bad. 

I am no fan of Gus as a coach but I hate the thought of anything like this happening to him and his family. I really hope she can pull through. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Correct, it is a bit of revisionist history.  Also, Kirby was inches away from accepting the USCe job.  UGA caught wind, immediately fired CMR and solely focused on KS.

Who knows, KS could have been going into his 4th year with multiple top classes.  Or he could have been a disaster and UGA didn't want him

I just hate the idea of not taking someone because of an assumption. That’s just makes no sense. You always go for the best , regardless. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DAG said:

I just hate the idea of not taking someone because of an assumption. That’s just makes no sense. You always go for the best , regardless. 

I don't even think that was something in our decisions makers mind, at the time.  They were too small minded and worried about Bama winning another title vs Auburn being the best it could be.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Pat Dye didn't go back to UGA in the late 80s.

Yeah, I doubt Smart would have left. Partially depends on how much meddling he would have had to deal with from the PTB. I also doubt he would have been given the freedom to recruit like he has at Georgia. He is not likely to have had the same kind of success here that he has had there.

Edited by nurbis
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, DAG said:

Right. We knew Muschamp wasn't going to be a long term hire and look what he did to the Def in 1 year... and also saw results years after he left.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

Right. We knew Muschamp wasn't going to be a long term hire and look what he did to the Def in 1 year... and also saw results years after he left.

I just remember he wouldn’t play one of our best LB’s for some reason. Once he left DD balled out.

7 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I just remember he wouldn’t play one of our best LB’s for some reason. Once he left DD balled out.

Yea I remember that. But maybe Muschamp not playing him lit a fire under his a$$ and made him ball out 😁

10 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

Yea I remember that. But maybe Muschamp not playing him lit a fire under his a$$ and made him ball out 😁

Or maybe Muschamp leaving allowed our LB coach to play who deserved to be there. He was a poison for the year he was here.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I don't think that is why we passed on him if I remember correctly.  I think it had something to do with how he wanted to run his program.  I am sure @WarDamnEagleWDE knows for sure.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I don't think that is why we passed on him if I remember correctly.  I think it had something to do with how he wanted to run his program.  I am sure @WarDamnEagleWDE knows for sure.

Believe we told him he couldn't coach in his last game as well

48 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Based on Gus’s tenure, I highly doubt we would’ve ever gave him the autonomy he requested long term, esp if he slipped up out the gate

22 hours ago, DAG said:

Why are you running now? Is coach O a rockstar head coach ? Now you want to call titan over haha. Mr. Objective , tell us a name since CBH is going to get fired in 2024. Tell us Auburn fans who we should hire

Dude, chill out.

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

It was several things. The fans who rationalize it says those things. Whether he would’ve bolted to UGA or not is irrelevant. 

12 hours ago, cbo said:

It does kind of feel like the CKS thing will be our biggest regret for a long time. 

Would have been interesting to see how well Kirby would have recruited here. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I think that he would have killed it. He wouldn’t have been floundering trying to figure out the lay of the land in the SEC for sure. Who knows though? That ship sailed a long time ago….

1 minute ago, fredst said:

I think that he would have killed it. He wouldn’t have been floundering trying to figure out the lay of the land in the SEC for sure. Who knows though? That ship sailed a long time ago….

Yep, we are half way around the world from that juncture point.

5 minutes ago, fredst said:

Yeah I just wonder what Auburn’s ceiling is in recruiting. Not many coaches out there who could reach it, but Kirby is certainly one of them. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Yeah I just wonder what Auburn’s ceiling is in recruiting. Not many coaches out there who could reach it, but Kirby is certainly one of them. 

If the coach has an established track record of players getting drafted, I doubt they would find a ceiling at Auburn.

Just now, Strychnine said:

If the coach has an established track record of players getting drafted, I doubt they would find a ceiling at Auburn.

I think it is as much about NIL as anything for the top rated 10-15%. Each one of them are very likely to “get to the NFL”. Look at the draft, they come from all over.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2022 at 1:51 PM, cbo said:

There are only a handful of sure thing, “rock star” coaches and most aren’t leaving their current spot. Unfortunately, that’s why it’s about a 50/50 shot when you hire a new coach. 

However this turns out, Harsin’s resume looked good. A coach who has dominated in a lesser conference is not a bad pick. 

same reasoning FL hired a coach from a smaller LA school., Same reason  FSU hired a coach from a lesser conference(Memphis). 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

same reasoning FL hired a coach from a smaller LA school., Same reason  FSU hired a coach from a lesser conference(Memphis). 

I'm not sure why ppl get so hung up on the small conference thing.  Plenty of guys from smaller schools as well as Coordinators from big schools have been successful and also been disasters.  It's really a mixed bag praying you get the former.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Sometimes it's not even what he would do here. It's so he won't be recruiting at uga. I told people him at uga would be even worse than saban at bammer for us. And you know how that went......I didn't know what I was talking about.....he can't coach. 

And here we are

• Sad 1