Harsin and the PTB

AUght2win

12 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

t that point we should see if a new culture is developing at Auburn or if Harsin appears to be over his head.  I really think it takes about 4 years to judge a new head coach  especially if trying to change the culture.  Next year we should see stability in coaching ranks, a very good recruiting class HS and Portal and we should be competitive in every game which we were this year except Georgia despite our record.

Competitive in every game is hard to stomach when when they rack up 5 straight losses and end up with a losing season.  

This "culture" change shouldn't take 4 yrs at the rate this roster is turning over and I don't think CBH can be honestly evaluated until the end of yr 3.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Competitive in every game is hard to stomach when when they rack up 5 straight losses and end up with a losing season.  

This "culture" change shouldn't take 4 yrs at the rate this roster is turning over and I don't think CBH can be honestly evaluated until the end of yr 3.

I don't disagree with you when I said by June of next year I meant you could start to see if a true change was happening I also mentioned I thought it takes about  4 years. As to losing streak we lost our staring QB who even after breaking ankle still got us another score against Miss. State if not hurt we might even pull that out we win a least 2 more games but probably 3 with a healthy Bo.  Harsin realized when he arrived we had no backup for Bo that is why he brought in TJ who this year did not workout. It showed he recognized the issue and with little time to address it did the best he could. Bringing in 2 QB's from Portal also showed he sees our issues and we saw that we went after multiple O-Line in Portal but with no luck. Not getting O-line in Portal means we didn't do a great job of showcasing PT.  We had a lot of O-line take their 6th or 7th year but most waited until after we had struck out to announce so that should of helped us with our recruiting. 

Next year with all the 6th and 7th year players gone Portal O-line has to be #1 priority with HS O-Line class as #2 priority for the future. That will go a long way in seeing if we are turning the corner. 

One thing I want to see is after late signing period this year if we don't bring in any quality development type O-line players will we replace Friend. Friend already had the HS O-line relationships as he has been recruiting this area for other teams which is why his lack of recruiting of HS players in this years class is so disappointing.  New coaches without previous relationships in our prime recruiting areas did better then Friend so far.

Edited by AuburnNTexas

2 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

You are more likely to get Saban than that group. They are career NFL coaches that are not coming down to CFB. 

That what they said about Saben to Bama and Walsh to Stanford.  So let's not try like we always do and go get our coach from the Sunbelt conference or high school or one of those other lesser conferences.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

C'mon.  Those 1st two are jokes.  Neither of them would have ever ever ever left OU/ND, respectively, for Auburn.

I'm just showing examples of coaches that got a new job and immediately brought talent once they got there. Wether they would coach at AU is unknown. Tell me what makes LSU a much better job than Auburn? Less competition for in state recruiting?? Yeah that's bull. Everything from the fans to it's  location and all other catagories you can compare Auburn is very close to the top. So what makes it why these "Elite" coaches won't come to Auburn but they will go to a rival that is in just as bad of a mess living in the armpit of the county?? Welcome to the Little Brother Syndrome. Hey it's okay. It's JABA!! War Eagle 

Edited by Mcbowen327

15 minutes ago, Carnell said:

That what they said about Saben to Bama and Walsh to Stanford.  So let's not try like we always do and go get our coach from the Sunbelt conference or high school or one of those other lesser conferences.

Ding ding ding!!!! Exactly!!! Isn't there a word for doing the same thing over and over expecting different results??

• Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, Mcbowen327 said:

I'm just showing examples of coaches that got a new job and immediately brought talent once they got there. Wether they would coach at AU is unknown.

If your intent was to just name 5 random coaches who were never going to AU, well that just seems kinda dumb...but OK

9 minutes ago, Mcbowen327 said:

Tell me what makes LSU a much better job than Auburn? Less competition for in state recruiting?? Yeah that's bull. Everything from the fans to it's  location and all other catagories you can compare Auburn is very close to the top. So what makes it why these "Elite" coaches won't come to Auburn but they will go to a rival that is in just as bad of a mess living in the armpit of the county?? Welcome to the Little Brother Syndrome. Hey it's okay. It's JABA!! War Eagle 

Pretty much all of those things outside the little brother/Alabama connection.  They have 3 titles in the last 20 years vs our 1.  They have certain advantages we don't, recruiting being one as you mentioned.

I think it's every bit possible that 1) Harsin wanted to hire his guys. 2) Harsin was convinced to hire Bobo and Mason with no coercion involved. 3) Harsin came to regret said convincing.

Again, the connection of Bobo being Steele's alleged pick for OC then getting hired by Harsin the following season just doesn't feel like coincidence... But I do think whoever sold him on making the hire should be barred from the athletic facilities for a while.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mcbowen327 said:

I'm just showing examples of coaches that got a new job and immediately brought talent once they got there. Wether they would coach at AU is unknown. Tell me what makes LSU a much better job than Auburn? Less competition for in state recruiting?? Yeah that's bull. Everything from the fans to it's  location and all other catagories you can compare Auburn is very close to the top. So what makes it why these "Elite" coaches won't come to Auburn but they will go to a rival that is in just as bad of a mess living in the armpit of the county?? Welcome to the Little Brother Syndrome. Hey it's okay. It's JABA!! War Eagle 

Sometimes it’s timing. Riley may have been spooked by the SEC, and saw tremendous opportunity out West, as well as a less challenging path to the CFP.  That was not the case in 2020. As far as Kelly, he was in top 4 of 2020 CFP rankings when Auburn was kicking Gus out so I highly doubt he would have left at that time. I think Cristobal was pursued, and also Stoops, and some say even Riley was looked into. So maybe the effort was there..

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mcbowen327 said:

Does Auburn ever go for them?

Seriously, does the Auburn Administration ever court an existing high profile HC and even try to pull him away from his job?  Rumor was that AU tried to court Christobal and he said no, but what other HC's besides Harsin did we go hard for?  Napier? Any NFL HC? 

40 minutes ago, Mcbowen327 said:

Ding ding ding!!!! Exactly!!! Isn't there a word for doing the same thing over and over expecting different results??

That’s not what they said about Saban. The only reason people doubted Saban would come to Alabama is because they did not figure he would quit on NFL  after such a short time. Most actually thought he would go back to CFB within 3 years.

1 hour ago, JerryAU said:

It's rather easy to stomach when your mood or overall attitude isn't affected by 18-21 year olds and what they may or may not do over a period of 48minutes.

Do I love my alma mater and the football team? Absolutely.

Does it in anyway impact my outside life? Not at all.

Edited by selias
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, selias said:

It's rather easy to stomach when your mood or overall attitude isn't affected by 18-21 year olds and what they may or may not do over a period of 48minutes.

Do you take terms like 'hard to stomach' a lil too seriously? Absolutely.

Is this type of response for the birds? Not at all.

You see birds lack the requisite literary skills to post cohesive thoughts, even in a football forum.

;) 

Edited by Mims44
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, selias said:

First off, just want to say thanks on behalf of the board for this and for showing up here each and every day to serve as a model of superiority.

But I do have to ask why you show up on every thread talking about how much you DON'T care?

• Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

13 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Taking it to basketball, I think Tony Barbee got 4 years. 

I remember his first press conference and how he said that we needed to change the culture. 

we will have to wait and see…

Everyone says that, really.

Barbee was right.

So is Harsin. And he should also get 4 years to implement his thing as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, Mims44 said:

Do you take terms like 'hard to stomach' a lil too seriously? Absolutely.

Is this type of response for the birds? Not at all.

You see birds lack the requisite literary skills to post cohesive thoughts, even in a football forum.

;) 

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

First off, just want to say thanks on behalf of the board for this and for showing up here each and every day to serve as a model of superiority.

But I do have to ask why you show up on every thread talking about how much you DON'T care?

Congratulations to both of you missing my point. Have a good day.

3 hours ago, selias said:

20 minutes ago, selias said:

Congratulations to both of you missing my point. Have a good day.

That was the point :lol: 

These forums get awful... edgy after a losing season eh.

6 hours ago, JerryAU said:

Does Auburn ever go for them?

Seriously, does the Auburn Administration ever court an existing high profile HC and even try to pull him away from his job?  Rumor was that AU tried to court Christobal and he said no, but what other HC's besides Harsin did we go hard for?  Napier? Any NFL HC? 

No that's my point tho. We should and realistically we should be able to do it successfully. Auburn has alot to offer even from an unbiased view. It's obvious the reputation we have with our boosters meddling with the program is our biggest turn off for an otherwise very well rounded program and institution.  But I never even finished getting my degree so heck what do I know. 

PS Cole256 ask a mod how to ignore posts. When I did it, it obviously still let's mine be shown. Hate for ya to keep using all your daily reactions down voting every post I make. Cheers buddy.

6 hours ago, W.E.D said:

If your intent was to just name 5 random coaches who were never going to AU, well that just seems kinda dumb...but OK

Pretty much all of those things outside the little brother/Alabama connection.  They have 3 titles in the last 20 years vs our 1.  They have certain advantages we don't, recruiting being one as you mentioned.

The topic was homerun hires and the post I responded to said so basically someone who doesn't exist until they do. Just bc they went going to AU they can still be homerun hires to me.  But.... OK. 

So basically we are a shot at USC in 04 and 2 minutes in 2013 short of being the same?? The goal posts can be moved both ways. They are probably considered a better program by most but it's by a small margin I believe. Auburn has its benefits and vice versa. I'm just saying there isn't a logical reason that we can't hire a coach of the same caliber as they do without having to settle for a coach. Unless it's the way boosters are making it that hard. Which seems to be true.

8 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Taking it to basketball, I think Tony Barbee got 4 years. 

I remember his first press conference and how he said that we needed to change the culture. 

we will have to wait and see…

Yes, Barbee changed the culture alright…

Edited by AU-24
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AU-24 said:

Yes, Barbee changed the culture alright…

Well, given who we followed him with…

Edited by AUwent

14 hours ago, JerryAU said:

Rumor was that AU tried to court Christobal and he said no,

Not going to repeat myself again but this is completely incorrect. As for Napier we said no to him

• Like 2

10 hours ago, EagleEye67 said:

Another losing season and he probably wont see year 3

I have a feeling this will be true.  The problem I see right now is after Harsin was hired, he started calling the PTB the "potato gang."  He then proceeded to have a losing season, and ran off his DC.  I bet the PTB cut his timeline down.

I always thought him making fun of the PTB was an odd choice.  I don't know of many employees who make fun of their bosses and call them names to be with their respective companies.  That is a good way to get fired, especially if you do not perform. 

• Like 1