Harsin and the PTB

AUght2win

@AUght2win if you really want insight from insiders, poney up the dough and get to the donor side where insiders actually post their insights.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

Every one of your posts contradicts the last. You said nobody here can offer any insight. 

No. You can't offer any insight. I assumed you would have to be new to make a statement like that. 

Didba, honestly, I don't know what you are trying to accomplish by posting 10,000 times on these threads. Do you think you're going to get people to stop questioning what's going on at Auburn rn?

There you go again “you assumed” - that’s your problem! You have no inside knowledge, you just assume stupid stuff and yes there are some on here with “some” inside knowledge. You are just not one of them. And who is posting on here 10000 times with NO credible information?

• Love 2

16 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

Then there is this option. Harsin hires some guys and a few don't live up to the expectations he had for them. Knowing the window for success in the SEC is much smaller he doesn't waste time. He lets them go and hires some guys he thinks will do the job. Yeah, that's possible.

Logic GIF - Star Trek Spock Logical GIFs

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Donor side... has a lot of the same things being said here.  No one has any insight, the people that claim it, sound just like the irrational fans on this side.

Edited by Didba
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Didba said:

You have been saying this since Day 1 of Harsin's tenure lmao. You hate the guy and want him to fail. You want something to be off.

Agreed- I signed on yesterday for the first time after just viewing for years just to respond to her and others’ similar assumptions about “Boise ideology” (her quotes) being inferior to SEC, “Boise being easier”, etc. Per my earlier post on another thread, she obviously is not aware that Boise has played at a high level for years. Harsin was the OC at Boise in one of the greatest bowl game performances ever, a win against Stoops/#5 Oklahoma in the ‘07 Fiesta Bowl. That was 15 years ago, so the guy has been coaching at the highest level of college ball for a long time. I pointed out that all time they have a 6-3 record vs top 10 teams. Auburn has played more top 10 teams, but has a losing record against them all time. 
Anyone can be a fan and have opinions, but most who’ve played the game know that a D1 Boise State player can knock the snot out of your face as well as one from Auburn or Bammer. The level of competition is not “easier” at Boise. Football at the D1 level is physically and mentally as tough as the sport can get, with the exception of next-level Pro ball. Those who have never played the game and not gotten laid out in practice or in games, have opinions that usually are just amateur seat-of-the-pants psychologists.

She and others of the same insulated mindset also don’t understand that coaches don’t have to be SEC seasoned to be successful. I pointed out that Saban, Meyer, Pete Carroll, Gary Patterson, and others considered among the best college coaches in the modern era, were successful in conferences outside the SEC. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

I guess I am getting old.. but I set back and think on all this drama and think that I am very happy with the coaching changes and pretty happy with these hires too.. I was hoping the changes would be made and it all happened.. Just be content and wait and see.. These changes were needed.. War Eagle!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WarEagleT said:

Agreed- I signed on yesterday for the first time after just viewing for years just to respond to her and others’ similar assumptions about “Boise ideology” (her quotes) being inferior to SEC, “Boise being easier”, etc. Per my earlier post on another thread, she obviously is not aware that Boise has played at a high level for years. Harsin was the OC at Boise in one of the greatest bowl game performances ever, a win against Stoops/#5 Oklahoma in the ‘07 Fiesta Bowl. That was 15 years ago, so the guy has been coaching at the highest level of college ball for a long time. I pointed out that all time they have a 6-3 record vs top 10 teams. Auburn has played more top 10 teams, but has a losing record against them all time. 
Anyone can be a fan and have opinions, but most who’ve played the game know that a D1 Boise State player can knock the snot out of your face as well as one from Auburn or Bammer. The level of competition is not “easier” at Boise. Football at the D1 level is physically and mentally as tough as the sport can get, with the exception of next-level Pro ball. Those who have never played the game and not gotten laid out in practice or in games, have opinions that usually are just amateur seat-of-the-pants psychologists.

She and others of the same insulated mindset also don’t understand that coaches don’t have to be SEC seasoned to be successful. I pointed out that Saban, Meyer, Pete Carroll, Gary Patterson, and others considered among the best college coaches in the modern era, were successful in conferences outside the SEC. 

I don't really like to say this about people but some people don't know anything about football when it comes down to the player perspective, schematics, play-calling and the nitty gritty every day preparation required to be a great player, hell even just an average joe backup that only sees the field his senior year after 3 years of development. 

100% spot on with your analysis on fans that have never played the game.

She really doesn't know anything about the game beyond the scores.

I only claim to have these perspectives because 1) I am young and 2) because I am young I am less than ten years removed from actually playing the game at a high level at a highly successful program for its region and level.  I have many friends and teammates who went on to be much more successful than myself.

Edited by Didba

I feel for Harsin. And the difficulty was predicted eons ago: if Auburn hired what it needed and tried to let him run it the way it needed to be run, could Auburn handle it? Odds were - nope.

There hasn't been anybody as supportively-accepted into his new job since Sheriff Bart rode into Rock Ridge.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AUx said:

I feel for Harsin. And the difficulty was predicted eons ago: if Auburn hired what it needed and tried to let him run it the way it needed to be run, could Auburn handle it? Odds were - nope.

There hasn't been anybody as supportively-accepted into his new job since Sheriff Bart rode into Rock Ridge.

Wow a blast from the past!! Some great one liners in that movie!! “Someone is going to have to go back to town and get a sh&$load of dimes”.

15 minutes ago, AUx said:

If he would just win, things would get a lot easier.

• Like 2

My best guess is the PTB did not force Harsin to hire anyone. They may have made suggestions, but that is very different and not a huge deal.

If the PTB are controlling the coaching staff, why was Harsin allowed to fire the WR coach after four games? That's pretty unusual. Why would he be allowed to bring so many coaches from Boise? And why would he now be allowed to make huge changes after going 6-7?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Wow a blast from the past!! Some great one liners in that movie!! “Someone is going to have to go back to town and get a sh&$load of dimes”.

To be referenced with the utmost caution. I debated using the reference. Though drastically different circumstance I would not hint to equate, I hear the same attitude toward Harsin in a few that the little old lady showed when she would only deliver Sheriff Bart a pie of thanks at night and through the back window; and still cautioned Bart not to tell anyone she talked to him. "If Harsin would just be likable and spend time with us...." "If only he'd be more like Gus." If only this, and if only that. JUST like how how Saban had to become warm and fuzzy before he could spend a nickel, right? (sarc) In this environment, he's gonna if-only to another school and make them stellarly-successful before the good people of Rock Ridge affix postage to Howard Johnson's strongly-worded letter to the guvnuh.

Edited by AUx
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Uh you just stated you don't know why CDM was hired and that CBH "took a chance" on him. CDM was highly sought after and had as good a resume as any available DC candidate in the country at the time. There's a reason it was universally praised as a home run hire.

Buddy, home run hire is about as far from the truth as you can get. It was a decent hire due to the fact Mason did good work as DC at Stanford and was a pretty good HC for Vandy with presumably SEC recruiting connections. But let's not pretend we were fighting off NFL teams for his services. He may have become an analyst at $puat or another mid-level SEC team had we not hired him. Bobo was hired for more recruiting than mad OC skills. Neither were great hires, Bobo less so than Mason but seriously.....

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

If he would just win, things would get a lot easier.

we are 9-4 last year with a healthy Nix at QB. Would have changed this off-season greatly.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Can somebody sum this up?  I'll hang up and listen, thanks.

Haters: piss, moan, groan, bitch.....

Everyone else: WTF is wrong with you people?

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, gman87 said:

Buddy, home run hire is about as far from the truth as you can get. It was a decent hire due to the fact Mason did good work as DC at Stanford and was a pretty good HC for Vandy with presumably SEC recruiting connections. But let's not pretend we were fighting off NFL teams for his services. He may have become an analyst at $puat or another mid-level SEC team had we not hired him. Bobo was hired for more recruiting than mad OC skills. Neither were great hires, Bobo less so than Mason but seriously.....

This is way off. Mason was a home run hire; by far the best Harsin has pulled off. No way he would he have gone to be an analyst for Bama or any other team. He had plenty of opportunities or he could have just taken the year off and counted his money for a bit. 

He did a damn fine job for Auburn and almost certainly would have been better next season. Don't be surprised if Mason gets an NFL job.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Didba said:

I don't really like to say this about people but some people don't know anything about football when it comes down to the player perspective, schematics, play-calling and the nitty gritty every day preparation required to be a great player, hell even just an average joe backup that only sees the field his senior year after 3 years of development. 

100% spot on with your analysis on fans that have never played the game.

She really doesn't know anything about the game beyond the scores.

I only claim to have these perspectives because 1) I am young and 2) because I am young I am less than ten years removed from actually playing the game at a high level at a highly successful program for its region and level.  I have many friends and teammates who went on to be much more successful than myself.

Yep who knows if Harsin will work out, be moderately successful or a home run. However those fans who deride the “Boise Boys” have no idea how consistently competitive that program has been at the D1 level. Once the playoffs expand to 12 or more teams, we’ll start to see more teams including Boise, in the national title conversation. Transfer portal, NIL, and more games than ever on tv will hopefully open the eyes of some casual fans to football outside their regional bubble view.

It will be very entertaining to see what the new mix of coaches on the staff can do. Interesting combination of former AU players, NFL experience, and pro style schemes as coached in past jobs.  No more Dawg retread BoBo or Hurry Up/ oops they figured us out/Gus offense. Maybe more attacking defense/better pass rush as per Bama game schemed by the new DC. 

9 minutes ago, cbo said:

This is way off. Mason was a home run hire; by far the best Harsin has pulled off. No way he would he have gone to be an analyst for Bama or any other team. He had plenty of opportunities or he could have just taken the year off and counted his money for a bit. 

He did a damn fine job for Auburn and almost certainly would have been better next season. Don't be surprised if Mason gets an NFL job.

So if he’s so desired, best he could land at was Oklahoma State?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WarEagleT said:

So if he’s so desired, best he could land at was Oklahoma State?

He hasn't landed anywhere yet. Again, he may even opt to take a year off. We will see how it works out in the end. 

Oh, and Oklahoma State won 12 games last year. Beat the #5 team in the Fiesta Bowl. Finished 7th.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Give me the rational, sensible outlook on CDM wanting out.

You are ASSUMING he wanted out.

That is one of 3 options. 

He wanted out.

He wasn't wanted.

Some of both.

You have a 33.3% chance of being right because the people that know obviously don't feel YOU need to be told on a public forum and the ones that don't can only give their opinion.....which is exactly all you are doing.

Facts are facts and one of them is CDM's defense sh*t the bed against MSU. I wanted him gone after that fustercluck.

Most likely is he wasn't getting it done to CBH's expectations, much like Bobo, but was given a graceful exit because he's a decent coach and good guy.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WarEagleT said:

Interesting combination of former AU players, NFL experience, and pro style schemes as coached in past jobs.  No more Dawg retread BoBo or Hurry Up/ oops they figured us out/Gus offense. Maybe more attacking defense/better pass rush as per Bama game schemed by the new DC. 

People on this board seriously underestimate how hard it is to defend a well coached NFL style offensive and defensive scheme.  This was #1 reason I was so excited to for Harsin at Auburn because I truly believe in teaching NFL scheme at the college level is the recipe for success.

1 hour ago, Didba said:

Just what this board needed: Another self-proclaimed expert.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Let me put it this way. CDM is a former SEC coach and heralded DC. Much like Will Muschamp. People thought CDM would follow his model from 2015 - come here for a year or two, and leave when you get a good HC job. 

What would people say if Muschamp had left Auburn after a year for DC at Oklahoma State?

Last I checked, he hasn't been hired as the DC for Okie State, unless I missed it. You are grasping for straws. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, cbo said:

You may have felt he was a home run hire but my attitude was more along the lines of "it makes sense I guess, could have done worse, maybe it works out".

If I recall, we were trying to get Venebels which would have been a home run hire.

• Like 2