Harsin Drama Megathread

TitanTiger

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

We've been crowned National Champions in 1983, 1993, 2004, 2010.

We'll win a Natty in 2020s too

No I get that, I wish Auburn would claim them honestly but they don't. I was just saying that we technically haven't due to NCAA but.... We do have the undefeated thing so, I really hope we do win one in the 2020s it sure would be nice, especially since all this is going on right now.

We can all look back at this week as the turning point for this decade. 

Sorry I really wasn't trying to argue with you W.E.D 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

You got a long way to go pal. Oh would you look at that, I just added to my post count!

I hope you didn't think I was saying you were posting nonsense btw. 

I was just saying I would so I could catch up. 🤣

4 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

No I get that, I wish Auburn would claim them honestly but they don't. I was just saying that we technically haven't due to NCAA but.... We do have the undefeated thing so, I really hope we do win one in the 2020s it sure would be nice, especially since all this is going on right now.

We can all look back at this week as the turning point for this decade. 

Sorry I really wasn't trying to argue with you W.E.D 

NCAA doesn't award championships.  Eff em

Freeze will make Calzada a #1 draft pick

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, CCTAU said:

If they wait until Thursday, who are we sending to the SEC coaches meeting....

I wondered about this too. What if nothing is announced before Thursday and Harsin just goes to the meeting?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Could be the worst post I've ever seen.

We're easily a top 15 job.  We have elite facilities completed in 4 months.  We have top tier resources financially.  People need to stop being scared of our boosters and money.

“Don’t be scared of the boosters”

-boosters tried to hire Kevin Steele

-boosters trying to fire Harsin 

all in 14 months 

6 minutes ago, The Freak said:

Right now, we're a circus, so top 10-15 coaches will not be interested in us.

Disagree. We can build the security any coach needs into his contract. Has happened at bigger dumpster fires than ours many times. And not all of them have had the resources while also located in the most fertile recruiting territory in the country and will also be on national TV at least 4-5 times a year. 

Also, similar conversation: Is there really a top-15 list of college football coaches? Or is it more like 5-6 with a whole bunch of maybe?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

We've been crowned National Champions in 1983, 1993, 2004, 2010.

We'll win a Natty in 2020s too

You don't count 1957?

4 minutes ago, mdp5150 said:

all in 14 months 

Steele would've been a better hire than Harsin. 

Still, 1 for 2 is as good as most schools are doing. 

Unless you're suggesting they should keep Harsin which lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, mdp5150 said:

all in 14 months 

So they are 1/2 right now.

13 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

If we hire grimes, I wonder if he brings Ryan Pugh back to the plains.

He was fired by Baylor.  I'm not sure we can hire him.  Especially on the heels of firing Harsin for possibly racist actions

Edited by W.E.D

Is it just me or were many of us defending Harsin just a couple weeks ago?   I know I was.   Now I am confused.  Now I feel the need to trash his recruiting (or lack of), talk about how much of a jerk he is, how he is a out of his league, etc....   This is very perplexing.    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

You don't count 1957?

I was just counting the last 4 decades

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, casatiger said:

Is it just me or were many of us defending Harsin just a couple weeks ago?   I know I was.   Now I am confused.  Now I feel the need to trash his recruiting (or lack of), talk about how much of a jerk he is, how he is a out of his league, etc....   This is very perplexing.    

Hope on board, brother.  Plenty of room.  Got a big ass truck and we're running him over.

Don't want to get stuck with the Harsin/Gus apologists 

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

He was fired by Baylor.  I'm not sure we can hire him.  Especially on the heels of firing Harsin for possibly racist actions

I guess I have missed possible "racist actions" in all this. Can you elaborate......if not here in a PM?

Edited by Proud Tiger

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Disagree. We can build the security any coach needs into his contract. Has happened at bigger dumpster fires than ours many times. And not all of them have had the resources while also located in the most fertile recruiting territory in the country and will also be on national TV at least 4-5 times a year. 

Also, similar conversation: Is there really a top-15 list of college football coaches? Or is it more like 5-6 with a whole bunch of maybe?

The problem with that type contract is we get people upset because of the guaranteed money if after a couple years we are not in the top 4 and the complaining starts all over again.  Some people say they have inside information that Harsin is not a good recruiter and it is not because of lack of NIL money. I don't know if that is true or not but for the sake of argument I will concede it now.  He has really had one year to recruit after a pandemic year, the change in transfer rules, and the NIL. It was obvious from the way he was hired that it went against what many boosters wanted so there is some question if they gave him whole hearted support after he was hired. His class is in the top 20 not great, not up to Auburn standards, but not bad under the circumstances. He had a losing season but even those who don't like Harsin have to admit he did not have a great O-Line because O-Line recruiting sucked under previous regime. He till had us competitive in every game except Ga. and maybe A&M even after losing his starting QB.  I think with a healthy Bo we have a winning season. 

Under all those circumstances I would have expected us to give him at least one more year as he was definitely trying to change the culture even many who want him gone have said things about Auburn being soft under Gus. Yes we had a player exodus and some coaches leave but again he was trying to change culture.

I said at the beginning when he was hired I liked it so I will admit some bias but I also supported Gus longer than most. I was one of the people who initially did not like Mason's defense but I also admitted later that his results were pretty good and that it was a good hire. Many who are so upset when Mason left but not all were the same ones who constantly complained about his bend don't break defense.  If Mason and Harsin had a disagreement on philosophy then Mason needed to leave you have to have coaches on the same page. 

As to players who left and didn't like Harsin they also said he was a good coach but lacked people skills while other players said different things. Then we get the infidelity rumors. 

This whole thing has snow balled out of control. Add to that known issues in the past with outside control and Auburn has a black eye. Yes other schools have recovered from these things but the recovery is not usually overnight and it would give a lot of qualified coaches pause before they would come to Auburn.

• Love 1

Here is my question since so many are ok for firing without cause if that turns out to be the case,  what happens with Zac Etheridge, Trovon Reed and Cadillac?  Will the new coach have total autonomy to hire his own staff?  If so, maybe they are not retained and good Auburn men who have worked harder than most will be let go.  There are many consequences to what is happening that is why I can't quite understand this giddiness of some AU people over firing CBH.  As a side note on recruiting, I really liked the Eagle call and stare when we got a recruit, hope we keep it.😁

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Steele would've been a better hire than Harsin. 

Still, 1 for 2 is as good as most schools are doing. 

Unless you're suggesting they should keep Harsin which lol.

Maybe in hindsight, but I don't think for a single minute that anyone thought Steele was a better hire last year and rightfully so. On paper, he is no where near close.

5 minutes ago, auburnfaithful72 said:

If we make the right hire, we win 10 or more this season. Auburn is special!

If Bo doesn't get hurt we likely win 10 games this year.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

he was trying to change culture.

I see this repeated a lot. 

How many coaches go through 4 coordinators in a year "changing culture"? Or a major chunk of their staff and player roster? There's more to raise an eyebrow with Harsin than just a rough season. But all off-season drama aside, you correctly point out offensive line was the major issue to be addressed talent-wise when Harsin came in. He did nothing to fix that. He ran off a three year starting playmaker at QB and replaced him with a so-so second stringer. The strongest portion of our recruiting class was heavily defense and the defensive coordinator took a pay cut for a lateral move out of town. This isn't the shadowy "good ol' boys" causing this, it's Harsin. And if it's to "change the culture", exactly how long do you think ANY major SEC program is going to give a guy to do that when he's losing? And the trajectory we're on, we're going to do a lot of that, off-season drama or not. 

• Like 4