Player Statements on Harsin

AUght2win

1 hour ago, Tigerbelle said:

You should also understand context. The discussion was about being passionate about Auburn football. 

There is a difference between being passionate about the sport you coach, and the young people you lead.....and being passionate about winning because it makes you look good and it pumps up your ego and boosts your narcissism. 

I get that difference and I know both when I see them. The Harsins are very much concerned with appearance, and possibly short on genuine passion for Auburn. Gus had his faults, but his genuine affection for Auburn was never in doubt, and I appreciated that. 

Had to slide a Gus reference in there didn’t you. 😂😂😂 Gus is gone… never coming back. Time to move on.

Your word use “possibly” reveals that your just throwing random sh..t on the wall to try to drag the Harsin family down simply because you don’t like them. Pure and simple. Ironic that you can’t support our coach because they aren’t passionate about Auburn enough. 😂

5 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Well BB was a mean drunk.....and that was 60 years ago. 

That’s the point. From what I’ve seen, and it’s not much. Harsin isn’t a mean person. He’s just not a very friendly person. At least compared to Gus and Chiz. Hell, Tubs seems like a raging a-hole. But he knew what he was doing and produced wins for Auburn so his players and the Auburn people loved him. Harsin’s biggest issue is he’s an a-hole and he’s failing miserably atm.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Well BB was a mean drunk.....and that was 60 years ago. 

I personally played for an old TX high school coach that preached destroying entitlement.  He was a SOB. He would go on long tirades and would curse you out for screwing something up.  Just like Saban. I hated him as the person but Iloved him as our HC.  We went 28-0 over four years in district play at the 5A level in TX while I was there. No easy feat ask @bigbird.  He preached mental toughness and destroying entitlement among the team along with discipline within yourself.  Hell, He even tortured us in a boot camp like spring practice regime called "camp fun", but that bred toughness and that stuff appeared in the 4th quarters of close games.

Moral of the story; I still hate that SOB to this day but dang if I didn't walk up to him at the grocery store 6 months ago and shake his hand. I still respected the hell out of him.

Harsin is trying to do at Auburn what my old coach did for our program and they are trying to destroy him for it, it seems.

Edited by Didba
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

Had to slide a Gus reference in there didn’t you. 😂😂😂 Gus is gone… never coming back. Time to move on.

Your word use “possibly” reveals that your just throwing random sh..t on the wall to try to drag the Harsin family down simply because you don’t like them. Pure and simple. Ironic that you can’t support our coach because they aren’t passionate about Auburn enough. 😂

She loves Gus, I think she goes to his bible studies on Sundays or something

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Harsin’s biggest issue is he’s an a-hole and he’s failing miserably atm

That depends. With a healthy Nix we win 9 and none of this is happening. 

Why couldn't we compete after our QB went down? No depth had been builtfor 3-4 years. That's not on Harsin. He needs to get it straightened out, but 14 months (6 unable to recruit off campus) isn't enough time to fix much of anything and even less to develop a fair assessment.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, DAG said:

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886lzi0ycut8d8u5nuk9d

I legit LOLed at this. Perfect.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Why couldn't we compete after our QB went down? No depth had been builtfor 3-4 years. That's not on Harsin. He needs to get it straightened out, but 14 months (6 unable to recruit off campus) isn't enough time to fix much of anything and even less to develop a fair assessment.

RT

5 minutes ago, Didba said:

I personally played for an old TX high school coach that preached destroying entitlement.  He was a SOB. He would go on long tirades and would curse you out for screwing something up.  Just like Saban. I hated him as the person but Iloved him as our HC.  We went 28-0 over four years in district play at the 5A level in TX while I was there. No easy feat ask @bigbird.  He preached mental toughness and destroying entitlement among the team along with discipline within yourself.  Hell, He even tortured us in a boot camp like spring practice regime called "camp fun", but that bred toughness and that stuff appeared in the 4th quarters of close games.

Moral of the story; I still hate that SOB to this day but dang if I didn't walk up to him at the grocery store 6 months ago and shake his hand. I still respected the hell out of him.

I still dislike that SOB too.  Tough old man and great coach.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, Didba said:

She loves Gus, I think she goes to his bible studies on Sundays or something

Gus was so “passionate” about Auburn he had to go flirt with Arky to rekindle the relationship

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GreenTiger said:

Gus was so “passionate” about Auburn he had to go flirt with Arky to rekindle the relationship

He was so passionate he fought for raise after raise, unlike other coaches who take pay cuts to help pay their Ass. Coaches better...

44 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Knowing the whole story is beside the point. We almost never do in any situation concerning Auburn sports.. We still don't know all the details of the Cam Newton fiasco. But we know enough to know that Gene Chizik handled it beautifully. Bruce has handled the basketball disgrace with CP in the best way he could. We don't know everything about that one either. But we see how it was handled. 

We also can see how things have been handled this past year, even without knowing every detail. Harsin has done a very poor job and the bad PR is doing damage to the program.

I can express concern and be upset about the hits that Auburn football has taken in the last year without it meaning that Harsin should be fired tomorrow. I'm not sure what can be done to fix things, but he hasn't inspired much confidence in his abilities at this point. It's just a mess that needs to be cleaned up by someone.

That's not being unfair. 

I haven’t said it’s unfair.  I am just hesitant to jump in when I realize I don’t know a lot about a situation. Like you said we should support the players and the team and I’m very happy to do that.  They are the number 1 priority, along with the reputation of our university.  

I totally agree with you on Chiz and BP.  

• Love 1

20 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Why couldn't we compete after our QB went down? No depth had been builtfor 3-4 years.

Bingo. Our one time depth is soon to be an NFL draft pick from Liberty. He was third or fourth string on our depth chart when he left. 

22 minutes ago, bigbird said:

How do you get things turned around if you aren’t even able to fill your areas of need. How do you explain his lack of portal success? Look at the WR room right now.

It’s going to be really hard to turn anything around if you aren’t filling holes.

image.gif.37b3b7bb5a88919e7db26d91329f4e3b.gif

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

How do you get things turned around if you aren’t even able to fill your areas of need. How do you explain his lack of portal success? Look at the WR room right now.

With difficulty

I can't really. The only thing I can think of is the returning OL dissuaded portal OL that were looking for immediate PT. Some bad misses at wr too. He's been here for two portal classes. Last year's was good, this year's isn't...yet. It may not be any good after all is done but it could end up filling out nicely. Both are equally likely to happen.

Very thin. I expect them to continue to pursue others through the portal.

59 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

This sounds like 4 guys sitting around basically saying that Harsin has a good plan and knows his stuff, but he is too abrasive and not fun. They would have lovvved playing for Bear Bryant😂😂😂

They don't say anything about no fun. They specifically talk about lack of empathy and understanding them.

Weird ppl make up statements to try and label these kids as soft to fit a narrative 

4 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

They don't say anything about no fun. They specifically talk about lack of empathy and understanding them.

Weird ppl make up statements to try and label these kids as soft to fit a narrative 

To be fair, players on the same team are also labeling them as soft. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I’m not trying to label them soft. Zacoby McClain is anything but soft. But what does that even mean? He lacks empathy and understanding. Ok. So do the majority of the people in the world. I’d even be willing to bet at least 3 of them do too. Look, I don’t think he’s doing a good job. But these attacks from disgruntled former players are sketchy. 

Now if he did something to harm them, absolutely he should have to answer for that. But it sounds like Kobe and Smoke are upset that he wasn’t like Gus. But Gus had this team so physically and mentally soft by the end of his time here. Do you remember what Georgia did to us in 2020?

Keep in mind, this is all relative to SEC competition. These guys are wayyyyyyy less physically soft than me. Haha.

Edited by AuCivilEng1

2 minutes ago, Browning4AU said:

To be fair, players on the same team are also labeling them as soft. 

So Harsin created a massively divided locker room? That's your argument?

Some of the kids speaking graduated. Some speaking are still on the team and talking anonymously.

Bad leaders can treat two sets of groups wildly different. Both if thier view points can be valid. 

50 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I agree. But it's headed the wrong direction. If we were killing it in the portal and on the trail then nobody is worried. Problem is Harsin is building a foundation to a structure nobody wants to live in. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

So Harsin created a massively divided locker room? That's your argument?

Some of the kids speaking graduated. Some speaking are still on the team and talking anonymously.

Bad leaders can treat two sets of groups wildly different. Both if thier view points can be valid. 

I'm not making an argument. I'm stating facts. Current players have thrown the term "soft" around today. 

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I’m not trying to label them soft. Zacoby McClain is anything but soft. But what does that even mean? He lacks empathy and understanding. Ok. So do the majority of the people in the world. I’d even be willing to bet at least 3 of them do too. Look, I don’t think he’s doing a good job. But these attacks from disgruntled former players are sketchy. 

Now if he did something to harm them, absolutely he should have to answer for that. But it sounds like Kobe and Smoke are upset that he wasn’t like Gus. But Gus had this team so physically and mentally soft by the end of his time here. Do you remember what Georgia did to us in 2020?

Being a leader of young men requires certain soft skills. It's more than just Xs and Os and being the mythical "alpha".

The players explained it in the video. Current players explained it in the Montgomery article. 

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I agree. But it's headed the wrong direction. If we were killing it in the portal and on the trail then nobody is worried. Problem is Harsin is building a foundation to a structure nobody wants to live in. 

And a lot of that had been said for a while. Harsin can't connect with most of these kids and doesn't understand their backgrounds. It's why we've struggled recruiting. I've seen it by insiders here and elsewhere. 

Just bc some buy in, it's nit going to work when the vast majority dont.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Browning4AU said:

I'm not making an argument. I'm stating facts. Current players have thrown the term "soft" around today. 

Ok. And you want to believe that while completely ignoring any other terms that are also being thrown out.

Your mind is made up

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Being a leader of young men requires certain soft skills. It's more than just Xs and Os and being the mythical "alpha".

The players explained it in the video. Current players explained it in the Montgomery article. 

Nobody has ever complained about him like this before though. That’s why it’s sketchy. Harsin wasn’t known as some a-hole who didn’t care about his players. He really just seems like an abrasive person who has no interest in the current scene (social media, meme’s, trash talk, etc). At least that’s how it seems to me from the outside looking in. And I trust my ability to gauge a person.