SEC Coaches Ranked

AU-24

28 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

the difference is you could tangibly see the swing in recruiting that was taking place at Ole miss, Arkansas and Kentucky -- leach sort of sucks and I'm not sure why anyone would advocate having him at auburn which would demolish our running back u nomenclature but yet and still he did find a way to beat us last year.

Leach is the man Auburn needs but doesn't deserve. 

• Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Basing what off of? Wanting Kiffen? I’m basing it off of the fact that he is a well respected coach, he seems to have a vision, he may be the best offensive coach in the country,  and what he’s doing at Ole Miss is impressive. All Kiffin needs to be great is a football program with resources. I think he learned a ton from Saban about running a program and he’s primed to be one of the next great coaches. 

Fair enuf

Mike Leech is a worse Gus Malzahn.  Without a serviceable QB his offense doesn’t work.  You’ll have a flash in the pan season and then a terrible season.  At least Gus knew you need to have a running game to win in the SEC.  

I would say Harsin did better in his first year than the last 2 times an Auburn coach has changed the offense.  See 2008, 2012.  

Apparently Auburn has an academic standard that is also making it harder for kids to transfer in.  Not just NIL stuff.  

What are we talking about again?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

C'mon man... Ole Miss, Miss St and Arky all finished BEHIND AU in recruiting rankings last cycle.How bout let's give Harsin at least 2 seasons before judging or wanting to run him off.. What evidence of a tangible recruiting swing did u see at Ole Miss, Arkansas, or Kentucky after Stoops 1st year. I would argue with all the visits of top notch talent to AU , that Harsin recruiting is on the upswing. Will they sign with us? Don't know, hence the let's give it a couple yrs and then mire him in the abyss with whoever Vandys coach is if no improvement is shown

Kentucky the year before stoops was 50th then year one 33rd year two 22nd

arkanas year prior to Pitt boss 45th then year one 24th

olemiss year prior was 33rd then 17th then 16th 

auburn year prior to Harsin was 8th then year one 18th then currently 21st showing a potential regression pending coaching them up or however that plays out

according to 247sports.

so I'm not here saying get rid of Harsin, I'm just saying you could feel an uptick in recruiting momentum at those other programs under their respective regimes where as we felt a regression followed by a tumultuous coup D etat... I anxiously await to see how we pan out this year before beheading or crowning our current king 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

Kentucky the year before stoops was 50th then year one 33rd year two 22nd

arkanas year prior to Pitt boss 45th then year one 24th

olemiss year prior was 33rd then 17th then 16th 

auburn year prior to Harsin was 8th then year one 18th then currently 21st showing a potential regression pending coaching them up or however that plays out

according to 247sports.

so I'm not here saying get rid of Harsin, I'm just saying you could feel an uptick in recruiting momentum at those other programs under their respective regimes where as we felt a regression followed by a tumultuous coup D etat... I anxiously await to see how we pan out this year before beheading or crowning our current king 

K

2 hours ago, GunsmithAU said:

Leach is the man Auburn needs but doesn't deserve. 

There are some very good reasons why Leach has been a head coach for going on 21 years, yet Miss. St. is the best job he's ever been able to land. 

As for Harsin's ranking, he's probably a better overall coach than at least half the league, but his first year results weren't good so he's at the ranking that he's earned so far. Hope that starts to change this year. 

Edited by CoffeeTiger
  • Like 4

Heupel, Napier, and Kelly will be forces. Stoops, Pitt boss, Leach, Beamer, Drink, etc. ain't scaring anyone. Kiffin's the wildcard. Could overcome OM's limited ceiling, but gotta stop calling games like he's playing Madden.

Harsin deserves his ranking for now. He's gotta prove it, even though from a pure X/O's standpoint I think he can game plan with any of them, if not better than most

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, au302 said:

Heupel, Napier, and Kelly will be forces. Stoops, Pitt boss, Leach, Beamer, Drink, etc. ain't scaring anyone. Kiffin's the wildcard. Could overcome OM's limited ceiling, but gotta stop calling games like he's playing Madden.

Harsin deserves his ranking for now. He's gotta prove it, even though from a pure X/O's standpoint I think he can game plan with any of them, if not better than most

Heupel is really interesting, I think is going to be a boss for sure but I disagree about Kelly, I think he duds out pretty quickly.

Pittman is the perfect coach for Arkansas and can keep them relevant and tough in my view but isn't necessarily scaring anyone. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I have a feeling that “word” is horsesh*t. If it was true, we’d be gathering more players from the portal, because money talks. If we do have a competitive NIL setup and kids would rather just go play for someone else and make less, we have bigger problems.

I view it as the opposite. If we do have a competitive NIL setup and kids "would rather just go play for someone else and make less," the problem is more likely to be easily fixable with finding a guy who knows how to recruit.

And dear lord I would take the Pitboss in a heartbeat.

Edited by AUwent

11 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

What was Kiffins and Leachs record their first year at Ole Miss and Miss St . Pitt Boss at Arky. Stoops first yr at KY?

Those guys inherited programs with losing records. Building up takes a little time, but build UP they did. Your boy Harsin took over a team that hadn't had a losing season in eight years and promptly coached them down to a losing season. See the difference?

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

12 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Basing what off of? Wanting Kiffen? I’m basing it off of the fact that he is a well respected coach, he seems to have a vision, he may be the best offensive coach in the country,  and what he’s doing at Ole Miss is impressive. All Kiffin needs to be great is a football program with resources. I think he learned a ton from Saban about running a program and he’s primed to be one of the next great coaches. 

I don’t like Kiffin the person, but as a coach, people who think Harsin can coach a quarterback and a college offense better than Lane Kiffin need to seriously consider getting off the pipe.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

Those guys inherited programs with losing records. Building up takes a little time, but build UP they did. Your boy Harsin took over a team that hadn't had a losing season in eight years and promptly coached them down to a losing season. See the 

Edited by NWALA Tiger

42 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Yes, I see your point now... If Harsin could have just held on to beat Bama and if he could have eeked out a win against Houston, we would have been right back to a " solid" 8 win Gus type season. So close,  yet so far away...

Edited by NWALA Tiger

6 hours ago, AU-24 said:

I don’t like Kiffin the person, but as a coach, people who think Harsin can coach a quarterback and a college offense better than Lane Kiffin need to seriously consider getting off the pipe.

Agree. Like him or not, Saban is the best. And he wanted Lane running his offense. And he didn’t hire mature Lane either. Saban hired Joey Freshwater. That’s how good Lane is. 

44 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Agree. Like him or not, Saban is the best. And he wanted Lane running his offense. And he didn’t hire mature Lane either. Saban hired Joey Freshwater. That’s how good Lane is. 

Well, the fact that NS listened to Joey Freshwater and allowed him to change that offense and evolve it is a testament to the old geezer really.  Many HC's are too stubborn to make a change. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

Those guys inherited programs with losing records. Building up takes a little time, but build UP they did. Your boy Harsin took over a team that hadn't had a losing season in eight years and promptly coached them down to a losing season. See the difference?

It is amazing to me how some people love and give high praises for Auburn consistently losing 5 games a year. SMH

• Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, maryland tiger said:

It is amazing to me how some people love and give high praises for Auburn consistently losing 5 games a year. SMH

While losing 4.375 a year is not good, it is far better than losing seven. What's amazing is how many people keep hoping/expecting the current staff to accomplish big things when in 16 months, the only positive thing that's been done is hire one assistant WR coach who has a big name.

Recruiting? 9th in the SEC. Portal? 8th in the SEC.

Overall portal results: 6 brought in, 18 jumped ship. The 247 ranking doesn't consider lost players, but minus 12 has to pretty much suck.

Nationwide predictors, posted in this forum somewhere, predict AU to finish 5-7 this coming season. If you think 5-7 is better than 8-4 you need to attend a remedial math class this summer.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, maryland tiger said:

As someone said earlier,  they accept mediocrity in their life. It's all they know

They can't get past the fact , Gus was a 4 or 5 loss a year coach after EIGHT years.  Don't even wanna give Harsin 2 years LOL

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 2

We're unfortunately in wait 'n see mode again as fans.  I'm frankly glad we aren't having to hear the annual promises of "we'll get this thing turned around, the future is bright.... yada yada yada"  after another  mediocre  season.  Now we just have to see if this crew can do better or if it's back on the coaching carousel for AU.  

15 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

We're unfortunately in wait 'n see mode again as fans.  I'm frankly glad we aren't having to hear the annual promises of "we'll get this thing turned around, the future is bright.... yada yada yada"  after another  mediocre  season.  Now we just have to see if this crew can do better or if it's back on the coaching carousel for AU.  

The average number of coaches hired between firing one and finding a "keeper" is somewhere around five at our level. Even mighty bammer went through five between Stallings and Saban. Florida, Tennessee and A&M, to name just three more are working on number four or five with the results as yet undetermined. Lets hope Auburn gets lucky. We'll have to be lucky because the averages are against us.

48 minutes ago, Mikey said:

While losing 4.375 a year is not good, it is far better than losing seven. What's amazing is how many people keep hoping/expecting the current staff to accomplish big things when in 16 months, the only positive thing that's been done is hire one assistant WR coach who has a big name.

Recruiting? 9th in the SEC. Portal? 8th in the SEC.

Overall portal results: 6 brought in, 18 jumped ship. The 247 ranking doesn't consider lost players, but minus 12 has to pretty much suck.

Nationwide predictors, posted in this forum somewhere, predict AU to finish 5-7 this coming season. If you think 5-7 is better than 8-4 you need to attend a remedial math class this summer.

4.35??? Really? lol I can't with you! I believe you want Auburn to succeed as much as I do but I just can't. I will try my best to avoid you. Even if/when Harsin becomes successful, you and I will not see eye to eye. Good luck to you brother! 

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The average number of coaches hired between firing one and finding a "keeper" is somewhere around five at our level. Even mighty bammer went through five between Stallings and Saban. Florida, Tennessee and A&M, to name just three more are working on number four or five with the results as yet undetermined. Lets hope Auburn gets lucky. We'll have to be lucky because the averages are against us.

All true and if I remember correctly you warned this board to "be careful what you wish for" when the annual fire Gus torches were lit. Auburn still had to make a change though.  A team can't go year after year paying top 5 salaries and not getting top 5 recruiting classes or heck even top 10 ranked teams at the end of every year.  Showing the occasional flash of excellence followed by years of inconsistency while also averaging 3-4 losses a year with an abysmal bowl record from a staff making that kind of $$ just won't cut it. 

Edited by JerryAU

8 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

All true and if I remember correctly you warned this board to "be careful what you wish for" when the annual fire Gus torches were lit. Auburn still had to make a change though.  A team can't go year after year paying top 5 salaries and not getting top 5 recruiting classes or heck even top 10 ranked teams at the end of every year.  Showing the occasional flash of excellence followed by years of inconsistency while also averaging 3-4 losses a year with an abysmal bowl record from a staff making that kind of $$ just won't cut it. 

I'm in the club of keep auburn relevant and capable of flashing once every five years but I definitely understand the argument of success in proportion to salaries. I'd just like for my children to be able to roll toomers corner again after some, like, semisignificant wins. that'd be great. 

• Like 3