Mike Farrell on Harsin

AU-24

7 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

What do you base that on? Harsin beat him head to head last year and also out tecruited him with one less recruit.

Just a gut feeling, really.

That or I’m feeling that extra slice of pizza I had last night.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Oh, definitely agree. I think Kiffen is a really good coach. Would he be an upgrade? Yes, I think so.

I am not sure he would be an upgrade other than him having conventional experience at the power 5 level, tbh. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

I am not sure he would be an upgrade other than him having conventional experience at the power 5 level, tbh. 

That’s where I’m at as well. He has had a winning record in the SEC, etc etc. 

“Upgrade” is a pretty broad term. I like throwing out blankets like that.

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

What do you base that on? Harsin beat him head to head last year and also out tecruited him with one less recruit.

I think that depends on what the term "out recruited" means. Yes, AU had a higher ranking in recruiting of high school and JUCO prospects. (AU 9th in the SEC, OM 13th) But in the transfer portal, Ol' Miss was second in the nation, 1st in the SEC. AU is currently 8th in the SEC, 22nd in the nation. I think those two things at the very least balance out the recruiting.

Now, I don't want Kiffin as AU's head coach. His silly metrics thing cost him the Auburn game last year. Had an AU coach called the plays Kiffin called in that game he'd have been run out of town on a rail.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

I certainly agree we need more (recruits) than what we have now. I don’t agree we are “no better off”. A 4 star RB is extremely helpful and this one looks like a great recruit. As far as quality we are high in the SEC just need more of them.

He is a great recruit but you’re not going nowhere when you’re not signing any OL or having a class where you only sign ONE OL. That’s not gonna cut it anywhere especially the SEC when you’re facing future NFL players every week

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I think that depends on what the term "out recruited" means. Yes, AU had a higher ranking in recruiting of high school and JUCO prospects. (AU 9th in the SEC, OM 13th) But in the transfer portal, Ol' Miss was second in the nation, 1st in the SEC. AU is currently 8th in the SEC, 22nd in the nation. I think those two things at the very least balance out the recruiting.

Now, I don't want Kiffin as AU's head coach. His silly metrics thing cost him the Auburn game last year. Had an AU coach called the plays Kiffin called in that game he'd have been run out of town on a rail.

Agree Kiffin did better in Portal. 

14 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

He is a great recruit but you’re not going nowhere when you’re not signing any OL or having a class where you only sign ONE OL. That’s not gonna cut it anywhere especially the SEC when you’re facing future NFL players every week

Agree we need OL recruits or portal.

15 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I’m confused by this. You’re conceding that Auburn is going to field less talent for the foreseeable future, but advocating for Harsin to keep his job. Makes me think that you’re ok with Harsin downgrading our roster for a couple of more years, and putting us in a tougher situation with whoever coaches next. Why?

I think you have some very crippling biases against Harsin to reach the conclusion you did. the majority of the post is in reference to how I think of Lane Kiffin and you’ve transformed it into a statement backing potential performance by Harsin 

• Like 1

I say Auburn is going to be lower in talent going forward bc the field will be higher. The richest program in sports is joining the conference, as well as arguably the most consistent of the last 30-40 years. That alone, not even considering how many other SEC programs were trending upward when we were trending downward 

Describing Auburn as being in the lower rung of talent going forward is just an observation of reality; obviously, you’d like that to not be the case but that’s where it looks like as of right now 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think you have some very crippling biases against Harsin to reach the conclusion you did. the majority of the post is in reference to how I think of Lane Kiffin and you’ve transformed it into a statement backing potential performance by Harsin 

I’m not trying to transform anything. Let’s take the two names out of the argument here. You have a head coach who, so far, is failing to land the quantity of talent that we are going to need to compete in the SEC at a level higher than Gus did. I think everyone can agree on that, right? Ok, so if you are convinced that, Coach X is going to tank our roster to the point where you’re thinking we are going to be competing with less, why not advocate for him to be let go, before he can do any more damage? If for anything, to give the next guy a fighting chance. I’m not trying to argue with you, man. I’m just wondering what you see in Harsin that would make him tanking the roster talent a thing that can be outweighed?

I actually like Harsin. He seems like a cool guy, he’s hard to make fun of, he values working hard and getting your weight up. He’d be a great head coach for us if he could put together some top 10 classes and pull in high profile transfers.

Would I rather have Lane? Absolutely. But contrary to what you may believe, I’m pretty realistic. Auburn isn’t going to bring in a slam dunk hire in football. We have ZERO history of that, and quite frankly, I think our fan base. Myself included, may have the blinders on when it comes to how desirable Auburn is. It’s the toughest job in the country, the boosters suck, it’s surrounded by a bunch of recruiting powerhouses, and the people in Auburn are kind judgmental as ****, tbh.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I say Auburn is going to be lower in talent going forward bc the field will be higher. The richest program in sports is joining the conference, as well as arguably the most consistent of the last 30-40 years. That alone, not even considering how many other SEC programs were trending upward when we were trending downward 

Describing Auburn as being in the lower rung of talent going forward is just an observation of reality; obviously, you’d like that to not be the case but that’s where it looks like as of right now 

Didn’t see this post, before I responded. I agree with you. We are going to be climbing a steep uphill battle moving forward, imo, the days of Auburn hoping to be a consistent 10+ win team are nearing the end. We just aren’t set up to be that program. 7-9 wins is likely what is realistic at this point. But I’m not even sure we will be there if we can’t consistently bring in top 10 classes. And at some point Harsin is likely to lose the only two coaches on his staff that can recruit at an elite level.

Auburn had the chance supposedly to bring in a very good fit in Freeze . They chose not to do it. They apparently had an opportunity to bring in Mario and apparently that fell through. So now , the best hope we have is for CBH to succeed. I personally think he can do it if we are patient . However, this is not the college landscape . I mean look at how Florida is acting before a game is even played. And yes I understand recruiting is important .

• Like 6
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Didn’t see this post, before I responded. I agree with you. We are going to be climbing a steep uphill battle moving forward, imo, the days of Auburn hoping to be a consistent 10+ win team are nearing the end. We just aren’t set up to be that program. 7-9 wins is likely what is realistic at this point. But I’m not even sure we will be there if we can’t consistently bring in top 10 classes. And at some point Harsin is likely to lose the only two coaches on his staff that can recruit at an elite level.

man you need to get a life or develop one there is more to life than just crying about Auburn ALL the time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, eaglenest said:

man you need to get a life or develop one there is more to life than just crying about Auburn ALL the time.

We’re on an AUBURN FOOTBALL forum website, with a forum specifically talking about Harsin’s short comings. And I’ve had a total of like 15 posts on the Auburn football forum in the last 4 months. How about you mind your own business. I wasn’t talking to you and I don’t even know who tf you are.

5 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Watch the name calling

You run a tight ship, Golf. 

Edited by AuCivilEng1

4 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

You run a tight ship, Golf. 

Try not to be to tight just don't want it to get out of hand. Hopefully everyone understands. If not their all numnuts

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

. It’s the toughest job in the country, the boosters suck, it’s surrounded by a bunch of recruiting powerhouses, and the people in Auburn are kind judgmental as ****, tbh.

It may not be anymore if the SEC goes to 1-7. We would be (and are I guess) insane to fight for the 3-6. Screw tradition if it’s actively hurting our program.

You’re correct though that were not getting a proven HC. But we don’t need one. If we can get who I think we should go after, we’ll be in good hands.

Edited by AUwent

Just now, augolf1716 said:

Try not to be to tight just don't want it to get out of hand. Hopefully everyone understands. If not their all numnuts

Name caller!

image.gif.f4288e5f16266dd9780c09b30a7157e8.gif

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AUwent said:

It may not be anymore if the SEC goes to 1-7.

That would be so nice. The only upside to this super conference stuff, besides money. The less we have to be around the leg humpers, the better.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

That would be so nice. The only upside to this super conference stuff, besides money. The less we have to be around the leg humpers, the better.

If they go with it, I’ll love the fact that the league added TX and OK.

3 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

We’re on an AUBURN FOOTBALL forum website, with a forum specifically talking about Harsin’s short comings. And I’ve had a total of like 15 posts on the Auburn football forum in the last 4 months. How about you mind your own business. I wasn’t talking to you and I don’t even know who tf you are.

have you seen or met 90% of the people on this board?

On 7/1/2022 at 11:40 AM, woodford said:

Personally, I think Kiffin would love Auburn. He would relish in the underdog role constantly poking the bear. He’s not the same guy he was a decade ago. 

I think Kiffin would relish the opportunity to coach every year against UGA in the South's Oldest Rivalry, and against UA in the Iron Bowl.  I think he would welcome a stage like that.  But he would also want autonomy, which has been hard for AU coaches to get.

Pair his recruiting and play-calling at a place like Auburn with the right defensive coordinator...I'd get really excited about AU football.  A lot more than I am now.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, eaglenest said:

have you seen or met 90% of the people on this board?

The ones who discuss various topics. The point I’m trying to make is that, you don’t know about me, yet you’re so confident that I don’t have a life, because I’m discussing Bryan Harsin’s issues on a forum that is highlighting Bryan Harsin’s issues. We get it, bud. Your put together and discussing football is           beneath you. If only I had a life like EAGLENEST!

image.gif.279e81573edf91e72d861c4f824995e4.gif

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AUwent said:

It may not be anymore if the SEC goes to 1-7. We would be (and are I guess) insane to fight for the 3-6. Screw tradition if it’s actively hurting our program.

You’re correct though that were not getting a proven HC. But we don’t need one. If we can get who I think we should go after, we’ll be in good hands.

I think we still got our coach, and I for one am pulling mightily for him.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1