Only P5 team without 1000 yd Receiver

aubiefifty

Assuming that the statement that GA. Tech has had five, who wants to swap won/loss records with Tech?. A 1,000 yard receiver is no big deal. Losing football games at the rate Tech has been losing them, that's a big deal.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

Imo this is pointless. It’s not like Auburns bread and butter throughout the years hasn’t been the run game. The hunh was the Qb, RB or some type of jet sweep with receivers sprinkled in. Even with that stat I would think Auburn is easily in the upper echelon regarding win/losses. Points are points whether it’s the running back or the wide receiver. To me Tank and Shivers running over a person on the way to end zone is just as exciting as a long TD.🤷🏿‍♂️

Edited by e808
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

We are consistently the most boring team in America. Passing sells. Passing is what football is all about now. Got to have a great QB and WR play to win big at any level of football. RB U is just not as important if we could brand ourselves QB U.

Gus was too conservative... He didn't really run HUNH. Only on first down and every one knew it was a repeat play. He only threw 50/50 balls or safe passes hence no prime receiver. Remember Jackson saw the field as a freshman not because of his hands or speed but because he was good at blocking. His best season was with Harsin with DRob / Kobe being WR1

Edited by Randman5000
  • Thanks 1

We have had more 1k yard receiving seasons (4) from former AU Tigers in the NFL than 1k yard seasons for our whole history of the program in college (2)! That’s almost impossible and extremely hard to do!!! 😂😂 

BED307B1-0261-4491-9603-177EAB741E2B.png

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 1

The only national champion this decade  who couldn't throw the ball around was UGA this season behind probably the best D this century. 

This backward looking RBU nonsense doesn't win championships unless you also have an effective down field passing game. 

6 hours ago, e808 said:

Imo this is pointless. It’s not like Auburns bread and butter throughout the years hasn’t been the run game. The hunh was the Qb, RB or some type of jet sweep with receivers sprinkled in. Even with that stat I would think Auburn is easily in the upper echelon regarding win/losses. Points are points whether it’s the running back or the wide receiver. To me Tank and Shivers running over a person on the way to end zone is just as exciting as a long TD.🤷🏿‍♂️

This mentality holds the program back. You need a modern attacking passing game to win in today's world.  There is a reason WRs and QBs make bank in the NFL while RBs are expendable.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Gus was too conservative... He didn't really run HUNH. Only on first down and every one knew it was a repeat play. He only threw 50/50 balls or safe passes hence no prime receiver. Remember Jackson saw the field as a freshman not because of his hands or speed but because he was good at blocking. His best season was with Harsin with DRob / Kobe being WR1

It wasn't even the conservative approach, he has never shown the inclusion of modern passing concepts. This combined with his fear if throwing across the middle. 

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, insanhai7 said:

It's really embarrassing for Auburn.  I don't think we've had a single successful WR in the NFL this century....have we?

Darius Slayton

5 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

So, Jackson's best season as a receiver is also the only losing season he has experienced at Auburn. Would you prefer a losing record with 1,000 yard pass catchers?

16 minutes ago, GunsmithAU said:

The only national champion this decade  who couldn't throw the ball around was UGA this season behind probably the best D this century. 

This backward looking RBU nonsense doesn't win championships unless you also have an effective down field passing game. 

This mentality holds the program back. You need a modern attacking passing game to win in today's world.  There is a reason WRs and QBs make bank in the NFL while RBs are expendable.

I agree completely. I would also add UGA doesn’t win that game without them using their downfield passing game in 2 nd half. Took Bama completely out of their game trying to catch up. I thought took courage for Smart to attack instead of trying to depend in just their defense.

Some people are acting like we are the only school that leans on the run game. There are countless others that are run heavy and yet we are the ONLY one this century without a 1k WR. Make it make sense

Edited by Tiger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, insanhai7 said:

It's really embarrassing for Auburn.  I don't think we've had a single successful WR in the NFL this century....have we?

Auburn has won a national championship this century, played for another in the championship game and only had three losing seasons over that time period.

Finishing 6-7 is an embarrassment. Not having a 1,000 yard receiver? What difference does that make?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Darius Slayton

I wouldn’t call him successful yet. He’s had 1 decent season and that’s it. 

Edited by GwillMac6

1 hour ago, GunsmithAU said:

Respectfully ur logic can be countered as well. How many air raid or run and shoot offenses that are out there. How many championships have they won. The point is why throw if u can ran, keep the clock running and score. It’s not like Auburn is running the triple option. Auburn does take their shots down the field. Maybe not as most because they were a power running team. To me this is reaching like Auburn has been a losing program for decades.

Then I would like to know how many deep balls were thrown and weren’t connected on or passes missed period.

Also in the NFL the QB and WR have more value because u can barely touch them if u ask me.

The bottom line to this is the teams that won the National Championship had the right players in place to run their system.

Edited by e808
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, e808 said:

Respectfully ur logic can be countered as well. How many air raid or run and shoot offenses that are out there. How many championships have they won. The point is why throw if u can ran, keep the clock running and score. It’s not like Auburn is running the triple option. Auburn does take their shots down the field. Maybe not as most because they were a power running team. To me this is reaching like Auburn has been a losing program for decades 

Also in the NFL the QB and WR have more value because u can barely touch them if u ask me.

The bottom line to this is the teams that won the National Championship had the right players in place to run their system.

You're right, only pass teams do tend to fall into the same problem as Auburn, but who are the best OCs in the nation? It's not the ones putting up big run numbers. It's the guys coming from passing systems. They may or may not be balanced, but passing is the name of championship football with only 1 major exception, and that's having an insane D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, e808 said:

Obviously shouldn't have asked....

RBs have no shelf life, and aren't enough of impact players to determine games. 

A stud WR is. 

RBs are plug and play. Losing a top RB hurts, but losing a top WR is much worse. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, GunsmithAU said:

Obviously shouldn't have asked....

RBs have no shelf life, and aren't enough of impact players to determine games. 

A stud WR is. 

RBs are plug and play. Losing a top RB hurts, but losing a top WR is much worse. 

Derrick Henry, Alvin Kamara, CMac, Saquon don’t impact games to name a few. Not every team can be the Chiefs. We can agree to disagree. 

Auburn biggest issue is QB play. In most games passes were under throw or overthrown. It’s not like Auburn doesn’t throw at all.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, e808 said:

Derrick Henry, Alvin Kamara, CMac, Saquon don’t impact games to name a few. Not every team can be the Chiefs. We can agree to disagree. 

Auburn biggest issue is QB play. In most games passes were under throw or overthrown. It’s not like Auburn doesn’t throw at all.

Derrick Henry is by far the best RB in the league since he joined. His team is literally built around him. He has been given everything needed to win.  They still haven't been able to bring it home. 

This isn't an agree to disagree issue. A strong rushing attack is a compliment, not a basis. Passing wins. Period. 

We can agree QB play has been lackluster. But even when we had stidham who was a freaking stud for us, we never had a WR who could get open, make plays, demand double teams.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

I wouldn’t call him successful yet. He’s had 1 decent season and that’s it. 

That man has trash ass Daniel Jones throwing him the ball. The fact that Slayton had any success with him at QB is a huge success 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

So, Jackson's best season as a receiver is also the only losing season he has experienced at Auburn. Would you prefer a losing record with 1,000 yard pass catchers?

It's not an either/or. It happens all the time.

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

46 minutes ago, GunsmithAU said:

Derrick Henry is by far the best RB in the league since he joined. His team is literally built around him. He has been given everything needed to win.  They still haven't been able to bring it home. 

This isn't an agree to disagree issue. A strong rushing attack is a compliment, not a basis. Passing wins. Period. 

We can agree QB play has been lackluster. But even when we had stidham who was a freaking stud for us, we never had a WR who could get open, make plays, demand double teams.

Just as easily as passing can win u a game it can lose a game real fast as well. I just think it’s to much emphasis on this. If Auburn didn’t have all the negativity right now this wouldn’t even be an issue. It’s basically pile it on while they are down. Auburn strength is the running game and timely passing to keep people honest. Auburn just needs to win games. However, that is accomplished. 

*Remember the results of the last two times Auburn went outside of what they did best

Edited by e808
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, e808 said:

Just as easily as passing can win u a game it can lose a game real fast as well. I just think it’s to much emphasis on this. If Auburn didn’t have all the negativity right now this wouldn’t even be an issue. It’s basically pile it on while they are down. Auburn strength is the running game and timely passing to keep people honest. Auburn just needs to win games. However, that is accomplished. 

*Remember the results of the last two times Auburn went outside of what they did best

No it's the perfect emphasis. Imagine how much better AU would have been over the last decade if we had a competent passing attack? 

Sure it's piling on. We literally have guys in the NFL who couldn't do what bobby no name did at northwest state for the mentally insane. All because of poor coaching and offensive scheming. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tiger said:

Some people are acting like we are the only school that leans on the run game. There are countless others that are run heavy and yet we are the ONLY one this century without a 1k WR. Make it make sense

I think someone referenced Georgia tech ? It’s always interesting to me what some fans would get all up in arms about but I would consider this situation significant. Especially with how much the game from the professional and collegiate level is so wide spread .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GunsmithAU said:

All because of poor coaching and offensive scheming. 

This is what some don’t want to hear. I got to say, you get on my nerves but at least you call it fairly 

• Like 1