***Official**** 2022 Auburn football man crush

bigbird

Meet Kilian Zierer: Auburn’s 6-Foot-7, 312-Pound OT From Germany

Joe Grobeck,August 1, 2022 1:29 pm
Kilian Zierer is set to make a big mark with the Auburn Tigers in 2022.

The pulse of the offense starts in the trenches. It’s the offensive line’s duty to protect the quarterback, make holes for running backs so the announcer can give the obligatory “That hole was so big even I could’ve run through it” and eat everything in sight.

This year, for the Auburn Tigers, the man tasked with protecting either Zach Calzada or T.J. Finley’s blindside is Kilian Zierer. The 6-foot-7, 312-pound offensive tackle hails from Munich, Germany, a place where a different kind of football is king. However, since he began playing American football in 2016, Zierer has steadily improved and is set to be Auburn’s anchor up front.

Kilian Zierer: Auburn’s Massive German Set to Lead Offensive 

RELATED: Auburn’s Redemption Tour Begins With These 5 Players in 2022

Like many of his German friends, Zierer played soccer long before he picked up a pigskin at the age of 16. But, to him, the gridiron was a place of leisure.

“It wasn’t anything serious; it was really just for fun at that time,” he said, per auburntigers.com. “It was something different and a lot of the terms used in football were still the English terms, which helped me later on.”

Then Zierer grew and grew and grew to the point where he started getting recognition from junior colleges in the United States. He ended up at the College of the Canyons in Santa Clarita, California, where he blossomed into the No. 1 ranked JUCO offensive tackle in the country. He had his pick of the litter when it came to major college football programs, but he committed to Auburn ahead of the likes of Florida, Florida State, Oregon, TCU, Cal, USC, Utah, UCLA and Arizona State.

A torn ACL during Zierer’s last JUCO season sidelined him for Auburn’s 2020 campaign, but he made his debut in 2021, logging starts against Arkansas, South Carolina, Alabama and Houston. Now, Zierer is healthy and set to lead Auburn’s offensive line as the No. 1 left tackle on the depth chart. Position coach Will Friend agrees.

“He’s understanding the technique of playing the position,” Friend said in April, per AL.com. “…He understands me better now, and he’s gotten better and better.”

“He’s our best pass protector,” Friend continued. “He’s got the length. He’s got the athletic ability.”

So, seeing as Zierer has only seen limited action in The Plains so far, what is it that has coaches excited? Well, for one, Zierer is massive — always a good sign for an offensive lineman — but his athletic ability, like Friend said, is what sets him apart. According to The Draft Network, Zierer generates good pop out of his stance, uses his reach to keep his opponents at bay and is a reliable puller. Most importantly, he didn’t allow a sack in the 339 snaps he played last season. All that being said, he could shoot his way into the first round of the NFL Draft with a solid year.

First, he’s going to concentrate on helping Auburn improve upon its 6-7 record in Bryan Harsin’s first season as head coach. He plans on inspiring a lot of “War Eagle” chants throughout Jordan-Hare Stadium, but to him,”War Eagle” is more than a battle cry.

“In German, you would say ‘Kriegsadler’, but ‘War Eagle’ is much more than just an expression,” he said. “When you hear ‘War Eagle’, you know how much people love Auburn and their excitement for it. And I love Auburn, too.”

How about we get a “Kriegsadler” when Zierer gets his first pancake of the year?

Edited by toddc
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, WarEagle2423 said:

I’ll take T’Varish (Chick) Dawson. I believe he’s going to have a huge year! 

Agreed 👍 

• Like 1

Put me in on R Ashford. 

I was literally just thinking "man someone has to start the man crush thread soon".

Give me my man Damari Alston. Love him on Twitter and I think he's going to get a lot more touches than people think. He runs silky smooth.

2 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

Take Saban and Kirby this year

Yes! Unfortunately Saban just got an extension to 2030. 🤮 

1 minute ago, toddc said:

Yes! Unfortunately Saban just got an extension to 2030. 🤮 

Let him lose 4 games this season and it will crumble.....maybe DAG can put his voodoo on it.

• Haha 1

I'll take Tyler Fromm if he is still available.  Can't wait to see those flowing locks catching TDs!

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I may refer to Hall as Baby Takeo every now and again 

I would like to mention that Pappoe is in the middle, which means he obviously is the leader of the three...  Subliminal messaging at its finest. 

Well, I guess I better go study the roster to see who is still in our team.  I’ve been so out of the loop, being a grandmother! I’ll get back to you.  But in the meantime, you guys know my type- the downtrodden, underdog, disrespected. Handsome helps, too. Any suggestions??? 😂😂😂

• Like 1

Update: I think I will take the whole O-line again.  They are always being disrespected.  I’ll also take Joko Willis, if nobody else wants him, purely because I LOVE his name!!! 😁

On 8/28/2022 at 7:27 PM, 3rdgeneration said:

But in the meantime, you guys know my type- the downtrodden, underdog, disrespected. Handsome helps, too. Any suggestions??? 😂😂😂

I was thinking of a certain person would fit perfectly, but that last one eliminates him. Sorry, @augolf1716

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

you breaking up with me golf?