Tennessee AD Danny White congratulates Greene

aubiefifty

“The apparent political dysfunction with Auburn is truly legendary"

News of Allen Greene stepping down from his position as Auburn’s athletic director moved swiftly on Friday with a pivotal football season less than nine days away. Former Duke Athletic Kevin White strongly reacted to the news on Auburn’s now-former AD.

“For what it’s worth,” White said via press release. “The announcement today via Auburn is terribly disturbing, to say the very least, perhaps closer to utterly shameful!”

Read more Auburn Sports: Allen Greene stepping down as Auburn’s athletics director

Auburn adds second four-star wide receiver to 2023 recruiting class

The latest on Auburn’s quarterback battle, Zach Calzada’s progress after injury

White is familiar with Greene from working together at Greene’s alma mater, Notre Dame. Greene also worked with White’s son Danny when Greene was the AD at Buffalo before making the trek to Auburn.

Duke’s emeritus Athletic Director went on to critique what he believes to be a toxic culture at Auburn.

“The apparent political dysfunction with Auburn is truly legendary,” White said. “More specifically, this particular leadership transition, unequivocally, ascends Auburn to the “cat bird” seat, in terms of being “tone deaf” nationally.”

White ended his message by calling Green a “rockstar” while further chiding Auburn.

“Therefore, this is clearly a “death blow” moment,” White said. “As the greater enterprise of college athletics swirls via unprecedented chaos.”

Nubyjas Wilborn covers Auburn for Alabama Media Group.

Allen Greene exit: Tennessee AD Danny White congratulates departing Auburn AD on ‘getting the heck out of a crazy situation’

Andrew Olson
1-2 minutes

Allen Greene is out as Auburn’s athletic director. With his contract up in January, Greene is resigning early to start pursuing other opportunities. One of Greene’s SEC peers shared a message of “congratulations” to his former colleague.

Tennessee AD Danny White, who worked with Greene at Ole Miss and Buffalo, congratulated the departing Auburn AD for “getting the heck out of a crazy situation for greener pastures!” White added that he admired how Greene managed a chaotic situation.

Greene’s departure has brought renewed attention to the behind-the-scenes politics of Auburn athletics. During an appearance on “The Paul Finebaum Show,” ESPN’s Rece Davis compared Greene’s early exit to the situation surrounding Auburn football coach Bryan Harsin this offseason.

There’s never a dull moment on The Plains. We’ll see who’s next to lead the AU athletic department.

Gotta agree, but Tennessee talking trash about any program is ridiculous. They are in deep water with the ncaa in a few programs within the university. That guy should keep his comments to himself 

• Like 9

36 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Gotta agree, but Tennessee talking trash about any program is ridiculous. They are in deep water with the ncaa in a few programs within the university. That guy should keep his comments to himself 

This is the type of guy you want to hear from because he has nothing to lose at the moment lol. 

• Like 2

• WarTiger changed the title to Tennessee AD Danny White congratulates Greene
4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

White ended his message by calling Green a “rockstar” while further chiding Auburn.

Yeah, he's a regular ole Neil Young singing "Southern Man"....

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, cctiger said:

Yeah, he's a regular ole Neil Young singing "Southern Man"....

did you know van zant and young were friends and spoke regularly? folks always assumed they were enemies and i include myself in that. i always found that interesting.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

did you know van zant and young were friends and spoke regularly? folks always assumed they were enemies and i include myself in that. i always found that interesting.

Thanks Fifty. Didn't know that. Still, I never cared for Ole Neil anyway...Don't need him around anyhow...

• Like 4

1 minute ago, cctiger said:

Thanks Fifty. Didn't know that. Still, I never cared for Ole Neil anyway...Don't need him around anyhow...

if everyone was the same it would be a boring world. i like him but i am on a huge whiskey myers kick right now. they have that guitar attack dialed in. if it makes ya feel any better mr greene never cared for mr young either. grins

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Very ballsy for him to do that publicly. I'd even say unprecedented 

Possibly so. It would appear UT and AU are the dysfunctional programs of the SEC, but with that being said, UT may just be on their way back, whereas AU still has to prove something this year. At this point like the brilliant acronym, it’s JABA. That’s why there is rarely any sustained success in this football program. One great year here another decent one there and then crap for a number of years. 

• Facepalm 1

10 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

Possibly so. It would appear UT and AU are the dysfunctional programs of the SEC, but with that being said, UT may just be on their way back, whereas AU still has to prove something this year. At this point like the brilliant acronym, it’s JABA. That’s why there is rarely any sustained success in this football program. One great year here another decent one there and then crap for a number of years. 

It couldn't have anything to do with having to play the toughest schedules in the league year in and year out.

33 minutes ago, AUwent said:

It couldn't have anything to do with having to play the toughest schedules in the league year in and year out.

Okay, but who makes the schedules? We open with a cupcake this year and GA opens w an Oregon team that now has our former starter that never beat them. We know we will play the other 6 teams in our division each year for now anyway, as it’s been for years. A few years back we opened with teams like Clemson and Oregon to name a couple and beat Oregon but never Clemson since their resurgence. On the other side in the East, I will give that, in it has been very down for sometime with the exception of GA, meaning yes they all tend to play weaker schedules than the teams in the west, but now UT is improving, UK is as well and SC beat us last year without a decent QB and now they have a kid that’s a really decent QB, all the while, our best QB is most likely an 18 yo freshman who won’t see the field this year. I just don’t think a strong schedule is an excuse. If you win the games you should, then you vault up the polls, especially against highly ranked or even just Top 20 teams. We haven’t done that consistently for a long time and now OU and Tex are coming in a few years. Easy schedules no longer win championships because that’s a basis for the new playoff selection. 

2 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

Okay, but who makes the schedules? We open with a cupcake this year and GA opens w an Oregon team that now has our former starter that never beat them. We know we will play the other 6 teams in our division each year for now anyway, as it’s been for years. A few years back we opened with teams like Clemson and Oregon to name a couple and beat Oregon but never Clemson since their resurgence. On the other side in the East, I will give that, in it has been very down for sometime with the exception of GA, meaning yes they all tend to play weaker schedules than the teams in the west, but now UT is improving, UK is as well and SC beat us last year without a decent QB and now they have a kid that’s a really decent QB, all the while, our best QB is most likely an 18 yo freshman who won’t see the field this year. I just don’t think a strong schedule is an excuse. If you win the games you should, then you vault up the polls, especially against highly ranked or even just Top 20 teams. We haven’t done that consistently for a long time and now OU and Tex are coming in a few years. Easy schedules no longer win championships because that’s a basis for the new playoff selection. 

I'm namely referring to the fact that we're the only two teams that have to play UAT and UGA every year. But god forbid we get rid of TraditionTM.

Edited by AUwent

2 hours ago, alexava said:

“Disturbing and utterly shameful “….. I don’t know what or why but this seems over dramatic. 

Coming from a former Duke AD. You know, that same place where the lacrosse incident happened. They have no room to critique anyone. 

Also of note, this guy's son is AD at Tennessee, and was Green's mentor. 

9 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

Coming from a former Duke AD. You know, that same place where the lacrosse incident happened. They have no room to critique anyone. 

Agreed, but doesn't make the perception any better. Regardless of what happened, it appears that Auburn didn't retain a charismatic, likeable, successful AD because he wasn't a good ole boy whose football coach hire didn't light the world on fire after only 1 season.

Auburn continues to look dysfunctional and ridiculous. Make it stop 🤦‍♂️ 

19 minutes ago, TheDob06 said:

Agreed, but doesn't make the perception any better. Regardless of what happened, it appears that Auburn didn't retain a charismatic, likeable, successful AD because he wasn't a good ole boy whose football coach hire didn't light the world on fire after only 1 season.

Auburn continues to look dysfunctional and ridiculous. Make it stop 🤦‍♂️ 

Apparently he wasn't charismatic or likable at AU. He also had too many missteps to call him successful. 

52 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

What about Frank Thomas, the Auburn legend who is about to have a statue made in his honor. Does he have an agenda too or?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

What about Frank Thomas, the Auburn legend who is about to have a statue made in his honor. Does he have an agenda too or?

Frank didn't remotely say anything comparable to the Whites.  Like many, I believe Frank was surprised/taken back by the timing, not necessarily that it happened.  JMO, I could very easily have misinterpreted Frank's thoughts.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Frank didn't remotely say anything comparable to the Whites.  Like many, I believe Frank was surprised/taken back by the timing, not necessarily that it happened.  JMO, I could very easily have misinterpreted Frank's thoughts.

“For him not to get another few years to make things right is discouraging in my eyes,” Thomas added in a second tweet. “I was just getting to know this man and he has left an impression on me that will last forever. He cares about Auburn University and I wish him well in the future.”

• Thanks 1