Today was Eerily Similar

AUght2win

To 2003 vs. USC. Anybody else feel that? Early season CBS game. Excitement around the program. Out conference blueblood coming to town. And a complete and utter dismantling at home.

What’s really bad though is this Penn State team today couldn’t come within 50 points of that USC team (Leinart and Bush were on that squad).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Excitement around the program. 

Wut

2003 USCw was a top ten matchup.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

To 2003 vs. USC. Anybody else feel that? Early season CBS game. Excitement around the program. Out conference blueblood coming to town. And a complete and utter dismantling at home.

What’s really bad though is this Penn State team today couldn’t come within 50 points of that USC team (Leinart and Bush were on that squad).

Nah 🤣 not even close we were hyped to win it all that year. We were only expected to finish next to last this year. 

6 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Not even close on any level.

There was no legitimate hype or excitement around our program. We hadn't done a single thing to instill confidence or hype in either 1st game. 

PSU was barely ranked. 2003 were two top 10 teams

• Like 1

Respectfully apples to oranges. That USC team was on a different level. Reggie Bush is wanna of the most dynamic players u could ever see in college and White was the thumper. 

6 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Nope comparing PSU to USC and this Auburn team to 2003 team........ 

It’s almost as if I specifically made note that there was no comparison between the actual teams…

17 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

The only thing today resembled to me is 2012 where the team and coaching staff was a complete discombobulated mess. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

The only thing today resembled to me is 2012 where the team and coaching staff was a complete discombobulated mess. 

Yep it looked like 2012 Texas A&M to me. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I realized that there have been very few games completely out of reach going into the 4th and JHS. Only ones I can remember were 2012 TAMU, 2012 UGA, and 2003 USC.

Even as bad as that 2008 team was, they beat Tennessee at home. Their losses were at WVU, at Bama, at Ole Miss. Then nail biters to Arky and even Stafford/Greene’s UGA teams at home.

• Like 1

Just now, DAG said:

Hell no. I would love to be back at the Tubs days at this moment and that’s saying something 

Of course. I’m not saying anything close to otherwise. Just a lot of similarities in the type of loss we suffered today.

20 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Not even close on any level.

There was no legitimate hype or excitement around our program. We hadn't done a single thing to instill confidence or hype in either 1st game. 

PSU was barely ranked. 2003 were two top 10 teams

Y’all are being a little disingenuous. Today was a sellout. There was plenty of hype. Go read Hoke’s tweet just before kickoff - today was the live or die moment of truth for Harsin. Just because he completely flopped doesn’t mean people weren’t hopeful.

87k Auburn fans didn’t show up today for no reason.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Y’all are being a little disingenuous. Today was a sellout. There was plenty of hype. Go read Hoke’s tweet just before kickoff - today was the live or die moment of truth for Harsin. Just because he completely flopped doesn’t mean people weren’t hopeful.

The reason I am saying it’s not the same is because even though there was built up excitement , it was for the potential of orange jerseys more than anything. We literally thought we were going to be national champs in 2003. Most of us , even those of us who were rooting hard for Harsin , knew this game was going to have to be a perfect storm for us to win.

Respectively, we have a damn good fanbase. We will support our tigers regardless. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Not even in the same stratosphere.

One of the largest home losses in history to an OOC power program who’s never visited before? For all the world to see in an early season CBS game? No similarities? 👍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAG said:

The reason I am saying it’s not the same is because even though there was built up excitement , it was for the potential of orange jerseys more than anything. We literally thought we were going to be national champs in 2003. Most of us , even those of us who were rooting hard for Harsin , knew this game was going to have to be a perfect storm for us to win.

Respectively, we have a damn good fanbase. We will support our tigers regardless. 

I get all that. Y’all are reading too much into the personnel comparisons. It’s not about that at all. It’s about a historic beat down at home to a bucket-list OOC opponent.

7 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Just bc ppl were excited to watch a game doesn't mean it has the same hype.

Any opening P5 game vs an OOC team will be a sellout

The 2003 team had legitimate hype as national champ material. This game was to see if our coach might keep his job and if our team might end up with a winning record. Other than a big name OOC opponent I don’t see how these games are at all alike 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

One of the largest home losses in history to an OOC power program who’s never visited before? For all the world to see in an early season CBS game? No similarities? 👍

Just bc we got our ass kicked twice in JHS doesn't mean much 

16 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

We had ZERO hype this year. None.

We aren’t a good team at all. We can’t even sniff the potential of that team. 

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Just bc ppl were excited to watch a game doesn't mean it has the same hype.

Any opening P5 game vs an OOC team will be a sellout

Teams like Penn State and USC have very rarely come to Auburn. This isn’t Washington State or Georgia Tech or Indiana or Weat Virginia. And almost equally as rare are home blowouts.

This thread has turned into a game of telephone. 

Edited by AUght2win