If it makes anybody feel any better

AUght2win

The biggest JABA coaching hire happened the day Gene Chizik was hired. The clown was 5-19 and about to be run out the door at Iowa State. Not only did we hire him, we paid his fxxxxxg buyout. Doesn't get worse than that

Edited by tigers23

1 hour ago, Eagle-1 said:

Well, what exactly qualifies Deion Sanders to run a big time football program? 

I admit the novelty of it all, but that's about as far as it goes.

Auburn needs a qualified experienced coach that has a history of either leading a successful program, or a coordinator that has understudied for several years at a big time program. 

I have nothing personally against Deion, but his coaching experience is highly limited. He could turn out to be a great coach in the future, who knows? Some people seem to believe that he would currently be a force on the recruiting trail, but I can also see where his limited experience could also be relatively easy for guys like Saban, Kirby, and Dabo to negatively recruit against. 

Clearly you don't understand his impact

• Like 1
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, DAG said:

I am a freeze guy but I know auburn brass does not have the balls to hire him. To me he is the #1 candidate but I got to be realistic . 

You may be surprised. Freeze has connections to the PTB. He’s been vocal he wants the job. His daughter is down here. I’d say he’s the favorite for it actually. 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

The scary part is I remember when Prime was a cb at FSU and even remember playing them (and losing to them - damn he was a weapon).

I see hiring coaches like buying stocks, if you wait till they’re proven and safe, the value and huge upside is gone. 

This all may pointless -even if we tried getting Prime, what drives him isn’t clear - but FSU would be his 1st love. Attracting him would be a stretch - especially today.

15 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

You may be surprised. Freeze has connections to the PTB. He’s been vocal he wants the job. His daughter is down here. I’d say he’s the favorite for it actually. 

That would be a nice little get. He truly does have a lot of connections. 

35 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Did Prime do that? Or did Barstool Sports' NIL deal do that?

And let's assume for the sake of argument that it was Barstool Sports' doing. Did they do it because they support Coach Prime and want him to succeed? Or was it for the memes? You have to ask because if it's for the memes, you cannot expect that same level of support to follow him to Auburn if he were to come.

Now I agree, I think Deion is an exceptional recruiter... But I don't know that he is. None of us do.

Good questions all around. No clue who was the difference maker. But bottom line…the #1 recruit chose a SWAC program. That has never happened prior and doubtful will happen again after Prime leaves.

Correct…none of us know for sure if he’s an exceptional recruiter. But with his top tier clout, I would bet my last dollar he’s better than Gus. And Gus was Top 5-13 every season with his first season (2013) being his worst (#13).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Cristobal looks bad, Sark looks bad, Jimbo has been a disappointment, Freeman is the first ND coach to lose his first 3 games, Napier is the first UF coach to lose to UK and UT since 1955, Mel Tucker might be a dud, Tony Elliot is struggling, Venables is losing to K State…

Lot of these guys will figure it out. Some won’t. Maybe MOST won’t. 

Point is a lot of other teams are dealing with coaching duds, too. It wasn’t a terrible idea to try Harsin because there’s really no such thing as a sure-fire coaching candidate.

All that said, I’m ready for a new coach. Hopefully, we get it right this time.

Florida is depleted in talent in some areas like we are. They lack depth up front on defense, but they're not so great QB played great yesterday and they came close to pulling off a miracle comeback. Florida is years ahead of us in recruiting.

MSU went 11-2 last year. The defense is a rebuild. Mel Tucker will work for MSU long term imo

Elliot has coached VIRGINIA for 4 games. They are not good. That's a project.

Venable is rebuilding a defense at Oklahoma. Something they haven't done in years. He can outrecruit this Auburn staff in his sleep.

Cristobal is someone else who will out recruit Auburn in his sleep. Not a great in game guy which we all should know. He needs a great staff to be win big.

Jimbo runs an antiquated offense, but they will beat our a$$ like we stole something from them in November. They also had the #1 class for 22.

None of this should make us feel better at all because it was a terrible idea to try Harsin. The red flags have been everywhere for a year now.

Edited by woodford
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

Personally, if I'm the athletic director at Auburn it were to fall to me to hire a new football coach I would have one guy at the top of my list, and that would be Luke Fickell. His resume is arguably the best in the country who is not currently coaching at what one would call a blue blood program. True, he's never coached in the SEC, but neither had Nick Saban, or Urban Meyer before they took over SEC programs. I would go all in to try to hire this guy, but that's just me. 

100% 

Why people aren't listing him is beyond me. He has done wonders at Cincy and is part of the Tressel and Urban coaching tree. He's my dream candidate (outside Urban).

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

Freeze is JABA, imo. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Viper said:

Good questions all around. No clue who was the difference maker. But bottom line…the #1 recruit chose a SWAC program. That has never happened prior and doubtful will happen again after Prime leaves.

Correct…none of us know for sure if he’s an exceptional recruiter. But with his top tier clout, I would bet my last dollar he’s better than Gus. And Gus was Top 5-13 every season with his first season (2013) being his worst (#13).

And for the record, I'm not anti-Prime just hesitant. I do believe you have to at least kick the tires with Deion to show that you're at least trying as a program.

There's also the possibility of him not being a good fit. Might be that Atlanta is a better fit for Prime.

1 minute ago, JBiGGiE said:

And for the record, I'm not anti-Prime just hesitant. I do believe you have to at least kick the tires with Deion to show that you're at least trying as a program.

There's also the possibility of him not being a good fit. Might be that Atlanta is a better fit for Prime.

If that school weren't Georgia Tech then I would agree. 

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Clearly you don't understand his impact

But if his name wasn’t Deion Sanders, nobody would want him for even an FCS job. He’s entirely a sexy brand. No resume at all. 

A similar comparison would be Penny Hardaway at Memphis basketball. Two years as a high school coach then put in charge of a D1 power program. He’s recruited well but Memphis has fared pretty disastrously overall.

It’s too big a risk and Deion frankly hasn’t earned a job this big yet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, woodford said:

100% 

Why people aren't listing him is beyond me. He has done wonders at Cincy and is part of the Tressel and Urban coaching tree. He's my dream candidate (outside Urban).

I really think he is going to stay at Cincy. His oldest son plays for him there on OL.

19 minutes ago, woodford said:

100% 

Just now, AUght2win said:

But if his name wasn’t Deion Sanders, nobody would want him for even an FCS job. He’s entirely a sexy brand. No resume at all. 

A similar comparison would be Penny Hardaway at Memphis basketball. Two years as a high school coach then put in charge of a D1 power program. He’s recruited well but Memphis has fared pretty disastrously overall.

That doesn't make any sense to me. If saban name wasn't saban then he'd be the same as Harsin. 

As far as your hardaway comparison Memphis is in a much better place than they were before him. Isn't close to being disastrous. But even if it did that would have absolutely nothing to do with this situation

8 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Whew boy, you're about to hear it now 🤣

But to your point, Matt Entz is the HC at North Dakota State. He is 40-5 in 4 seasons so far. On paper, he should be getting as much looks as Deion.

Edited by woodford

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

That doesn't make any sense to me. If saban name wasn't saban then he'd be the same as Harsin. 

As far as your hardaway comparison Memphis is in a much better place than they were before him. Isn't close to being disastrous. But even if it did that would have absolutely nothing to do with this situation

Saban is Saban because of his coaching accomplishments over decades.

Prime is Prime because he’s a Mount Rushmore defensive NFL player with arguably the greatest entertainment-sports persona in history. He has absolutely no coaching resume. 

25 minutes ago, woodford said:

100% 

We can’t afford another non-SEC guy.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Oh look AUght2win just being AUght2win. 😒😂

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Saban is Saban because of his coaching accomplishments over decades.

Prime is Prime because he’s a Mount Rushmore defensive NFL player with arguably the greatest entertainment-sports persona in history. He has absolutely no coaching resume. 

You keep saying that, there's no rule book that you have to coach 20 years before you are allowed to be good at coaching.

We are here with Harsin who had an outstanding resume.....fact of the matter is if you don't have good players you're not winning and nobody can bring in good players better than Deion as far as candidates

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

We can’t afford another non-SEC guy.

He's about as close as it gets. He was molded at Ohio State. That's as big as it gets. I think he understands what it takes to win on the big stage.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

he turned Jax State around in one season right? To say he has no resume at all is disingenuous.