For those that doubt Prime Time

Potatooooooes!!

23 minutes ago, cctiger said:

What are your actual hang ups?

And Tater, He is 55 years old and has some serious medical conditions. Just how long would he be able to continue as the HC of a P5 program with all the effort that has to be put forth at this level? I'm old and I know that "older folks" just don't heal as quick and in the same manner as say someone that is 35,40,or 45, etc. IMHO we need someone who can and will be around for the "long haul" and get the job done that we all expect and know can be accomplished on The Plains.

4 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Deion is a risky hire. I think everyone who would support that hire agrees (including me). Sometimes you pass on a risky investment and you end up being right. Sometimes you pass and that decision ends up haunting you for years. Investing in Deion right now is like investing in a startup. He’s either going bust, or he’s going 100x. People have made fortunes taking on investments that everyone else in town passed on. This is how I see Deion, and in my very uneducated opinion, he’s worth the risk. I also believe that given the current state of Auburn football and college football in general, now is the time to be taking risks.

The only problem with that is can you afford to take the loss? Investing is fun when you have the capital and safeguards in place. I don't think we have the capital right now to risk it   Can Auburn, where we sit now in the SEC, afford to take that risk and it not play?  That's one of my hesitations with DS.  We are already falling behind and that is increasing quickly.  Can we afford to miss?

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

2. I'm not sure some of you realize just how serious his health challenges going forward may be. DS may not have more than 2-3 good years left. At very best, he would make it 5-7, which might be enough, or maybe not. 

He had blood clots.  What else is impacting him?

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

The logic would work better if he wasn't out trying to find himself better jobs.

How so? Why are you taking it for granted that he would take the Auburn job if offered? 

Just now, Barnacle said:

How so? Why are you taking it for granted that he would take the Auburn job if offered? 

Are you going to argue the Arkansas job is more appealing than the Auburn job?  

1 hour ago, TigerHorn said:

I could warm up to the Deion hire, but I don't see it happening:

1. He said himself he's on a mission because "God called him collect". That's stronger than any pine box statement, $1 to xCTT. I take the man at his word, he's there to change HBCUs.

2. I'm not sure some of you realize just how serious his health challenges going forward may be. DS may not have more than 2-3 good years left. At very best, he would make it 5-7, which might be enough, or maybe not. 

You must have missed the part that he literally said he would have to consider a P5 job.

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The only problem with that is can you afford to take the loss? Investing is fun when you have the capital and safeguards in place. I don't think we have the capital right now to risk it   Can Auburn, where we sit now in the SEC, afford to take that risk and it not play?  That's one of my hesitations with DS.  We are already falling behind and that is increasing quickly.  Can we afford to miss?

I think it depends on your assessment of the risk involved. I think Deion is less risky than some are arguing. Failure for Deion would look a lot different than failure looks for Harsin right now. Harsin is failing on the field AND in recruiting, which I believe is the single most important health metric for a modern program. At minimum, Deion brings in players and generates positive publicity at a rate that no other candidate is capable of achieving in year one. It’s not like he would come here and struggle to recruit. That’s not a given with any other coach on our board, and I believe with Deion it’s a given. Can he run a program of our size? Maybe, maybe not, but even if he fails in that regard, he will have moved our program forward. Just my .02.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

He had blood clots.  What else is impacting him?

Did you note that he's missing a good portion of that leg? This wasn't some little microscopic clot that was there and is now gone. At 55, with all the wear and tear a college/pro career put on him on top of that, how long does he have? It's a legitimate question. 

8 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Are you going to argue the Arkansas job is more appealing than the Auburn job?  

You didn’t answer my question. 

But, no, of course not. Do you think Auburn and Arkansas will be the only two schools with interest in Deion Sanders in the next 24 months?

6 minutes ago, The Freak said:

You must have missed the part that he literally said he would have to consider a P5 job.

Yeah, I did stop watching with a few mins left. Seems pretty contradictory doesn't it?

5 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

Did you note that he's missing a good portion of that leg? This wasn't some little microscopic clot that was there and is now gone. At 55, with all the wear and tear a college/pro career put on him on top of that, how long does he have? It's a legitimate question. 

I think he's missing 2 toes. I'm not sure that is a good portion of his leg.

I'm not a doctor and don't know if these blood clots were a freak thing or a long term issue

59 minutes ago, cctiger said:

Tater, just asking a simple question; "Then why didn't the hogs hire him?" If he interviewed lights out as the AD implied, then what was the reason? Why did the hogs go with a mere OL coach? Had to be something there that tipped the scales against Deion. Was it lack of experience at a P5 school as a OC or DC or what? As for my hang ups as you imply, I just don't flat out trust Deion to get us to the level that we should be at this time. Now, that is only my opinion, and belief, just like you have yours. I think that there are far better options out there for The University to consider. Maybe I'm of the same mindset as the Arky AD; he's a good interviewer, but will he be the HC that will get the job done on and off the field at this level? Apparently the Arky AD didn't think so at the time. 

If I had to hazard a guess, it would be familiarity with Pittman (since he coached at Arkansas) and lack of collegiate coaching for Deion at the time. Pitman had never been a head coach either though, and I don’t think anyone looked at that hire and thought, “Oh yeah. That makes sense. He has all that coaching experience and all.” I’m willing to bet familiarity and SEC ties were what did it for him. Which is fine, but that has nothing to do with Deion today. If they were willing to hire an offensive line coach as their head coach, then I’m willing to bet they would give Deion the hire over him if they were hiring today (unless they just really wanted an Arkansas man). You say you don’t think he can get us to the level we should be at this time, but that is Deion’s main selling point. He would get us there in a hurry. Who else do you see with the charisma, pull, and personality that he has? Cause that’s what you’re going to need. But again, why Arkansas didn’t hire him is irrelevant today. I mean, you could ask the same thing of Auburn: if Kirby Smart is such a good coach, why didn’t we hire him?

9 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I think he's missing 2 toes. I'm not sure that is a good portion of his leg.

I'm not a doctor and don't know if these blood clots were a freak thing or a long term issue

It showed his legs on 60 minutes, they were affected by the clots.  He can't stand up for long periods of time and has to sit some of the time during ballgames and practice.

5 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

You didn’t answer my question. 

But, no, of course not. Do you think Auburn and Arkansas will be the only two schools with interest in Deion Sanders in the next 24 months?

No, but Auburn will be the best job available this offseason.  Sure, there is a chance he might not want it.  But if he wants in the sec it's the best job that will be available in the next 5 years

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Sure, there is a chance he might not want it.  

That’s all I’m saying. I don’t have any argument for why he wouldn’t be interested. I’m just not taking it for granted that he would be. I think we are on the same page. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tmoney56 said:

The riskiest is letting Harsin finish the season. Fire him now.

This right there...agree 100%....really do not want to see him on the sidelines for the rest of the season, just go now...:)

17 minutes ago, The Freak said:

It showed his legs on 60 minutes, they were affected by the clots.  He can't stand up for long periods of time and has to sit some of the time during ballgames and practice.

Which is fine. He can shout sitting down. This is not directed at you, but as @cole256pointed out, some people are desperate for reasons to pass on Deion. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

some people are desperate for reasons to pass on Deion. 

Just as some are equally quick to dismiss Grimes.  Neither should be, IMO.  Both would be great hires and bring a ton of positives.  People not seeing those are being intentionally blind.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

Which is fine. He can shout sitting down. This is not directed at you, but as @cole256pointed out, some people are desperate for reasons to pass on Deion. 

Yeah, I don't have a problem with it, just relaying what I saw on the tv.  I hate it for him, but it isn't going to stop him.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, pensacolatiger said:

The whole Coach prime thing is dumb.  Would he generate excitement and bring in attention/recruits?  Absolutely.  Has he done anything in coaching that shows he’s prepared to run a $300 million a year program?  Not even close.  

If we want a real program, hire a proven Coach.  If we want to hope to strike it rich w/ a bargain basement gamble, keep hiring athletic directors from podunk schools and looking at coaches that are still 5 years away from even being considered by a rival.  

I see your takes on the football forums are just as bad as your takes on the political forum.

You hate to see it.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

if Kirby Smart is such a good coach, why didn’t we hire him?

If I'm not mistaken, Kirby didn't come at the time because he wanted to coach bammer through the bowl season, and Auburn wanted him to come when they offered him the job. He said no, and Auburn moved on.

• Like 1