Caddy and the big IF

alabastertiger

23 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Good recruiter?

He's been a college coach for 4 years and has signed how many? 3 and, as of now, maybe 5 after this cycle?

Caddy may eventually be a really good coach but Caddy is the first to tell you that he isn't ready. He isn't. He has a whole lot to learn before taking over a program and even more if it's in the SECw.

Screenshot_20221115-135334.png

How many recruits is he supposed to sign? How much is 1 guy supposed accomplish today be considered a good recruiter?

11 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

How many recruits is he supposed to sign? How much is 1 guy supposed accomplish today be considered a good recruiter?

247 actually has recruiter 'rankings' for coaches. 

I don't know how accurate or comprehensive it is but for 2023 it has Caddy as AU's 4th best recruiter with an SEC coach ranking of #82

and in the 2022 class 247 had Caddy ranked as AU's 7th best recruiter with an SEC ranking of 130 

Come on people let’s use some common sense here. Caddy is fantastic but he cannot be our full time head coach yet. 

We need to make a solid hire and we need to recruit like crazy. I do think he should remain on staff, of course, because he is the heart and soul of Auburn, but he needs a lot more experience become a full time head coach.
He may wish to go somewhere else to be a coach at a lower level and then work his way back.

3 hours ago, AUINSY said:

I agree with your sentiment overall, but Bama is a field goal and/or a decent play call from Lane and Jimbo away from being a 4ish loss team this season. They're not a 4-loss team, but they're a hair away from being one. Kirby was a greater factor of Bama/Saban dominance than they care to admit.

The main question we need to ask is: "do we want to beat Bama every few years, or regularly contend for SEC/natty titles?" The reason we fired Gus was b/c he couldn't compete with the big boys regularly. We either get our guy now and strike while we can, or we slip into the middle/bottom of the SEC pack with OU and UTx coming in, along with UT and LSU on the rise. We shouldn't make an overly-emotional decision by getting carried away with an Auburn legend, and good position coach after breathing some enthusiasm into our program.

Kirby left after 2015. He has been gone from Tuscaloosa for 6 full seasons and Alabama has played in the National Title game 5 of those 6 years. They won it all in 2017 and 2020. Losing to Clemson in the 2016 National Title game was more about Saban not allowing Kiffin to coach that game because he had just taken the FAU job, than it was about Kirby not being there. Then in 2017 Saban beat Kirby for the Natty by benching Jalen Hurts and putting in Tua. Alabama has been beating Georgia and Kirby in the SECCG matchups too. Alabama spanked an undefeated Georgia last year in the SECCG. Georgia did beat Bama in the Natty though. 

Kirby was very good at Alabama but since he has left, Bama makes it to the National Title game more often than when Kirby was there. 

1 hour ago, Sizzle said:

Compare them. Here is Dell's profile.

https://247sports.com/Coach/Dell-McGee-2070/AllTimeRecruits/

Notice, and this is a very important part, that a majority of his recruits aren't RB.  

• Thanks 1

Maybe after 6-8 years,  Caddy will be ready.  But does he need to go be an HC or stay here ( assuming retention )?

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

Come on people let’s use some common sense here. Caddy is fantastic but he cannot be our full time head coach yet. 

We need to make a solid hire and we need to recruit like crazy. I do think he should remain on staff, of course, because he is the heart and soul of Auburn, but he needs a lot more experience become a full time head coach.
He may wish to go somewhere else to be a coach at a lower level and then work his way 

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Our fanbase is thinking strictly off of emotions right now. When those emotions wear off, the HC better be able to win games using X's and O's, smart clock management, etc. 

The entire time Bryan Harsin coached here, our fans always complained that he had no P5 head coaching experience and no coaching experience of any kind in the SEC. He was an OC at Texas under Mack Brown and had been a HC at Arky State and Boise State. That wasn't enough for us though. He HAD to have P5 HC experience and SEC experience in some capacity.

Yet, these same fans who demanded those things of Harsin are hellbent on us hiring Deion Sanders or Cadillac. Deion has ZERO coordinator experience, ZERO SEC experience and ZERO HC experience at a P5 or even a G5 level like Harsin had. Deion has been a HC at JSU which is FCS and he's only got a few years experience. 

Cadillac doesn't even have the very limited experience that Deion has. Caddy was brought in by Gus a few years ago and if not for that, he would probably still be an asst coach in high school.

Our fans have been so beat down for the past 2 years with Harsin that they've lost all common sense in this coaching hire. These 2 coaches aren't ready to be the CEO of Auburn football. Why our fanbase can't understand this, I don't know! We are letting hype videos from JSU and a raucous crowd at Jordan Hare saturday night cloud our thinking. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

Our fanbase is thinking strictly off of emotions right now

Yep.
When you had the worst Auburn head football coach in history, anyone is an improvement, especially someone who loves and represents AU. 

• Like 1

Just now, gr82b4au said:

Yep.
When you had the worst Auburn head football coach in history, anyone is an improvement, especially someone who loves and represents AU. 

Team zero is spot on here

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Yep.

I'm just glad that the fanbase isn't making this hire. 

2 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

Kirby left after 2015. He has been gone from Tuscaloosa for 6 full seasons and Alabama has played in the National Title game 5 of those 6 years. They won it all in 2017 and 2020. Losing to Clemson in the 2016 National Title game was more about Saban not allowing Kiffin to coach that game because he had just taken the FAU job, than it was about Kirby not being there. Then in 2017 Saban beat Kirby for the Natty by benching Jalen Hurts and putting in Tua. Alabama has been beating Georgia and Kirby in the SECCG matchups too. Alabama spanked an undefeated Georgia last year in the SECCG. Georgia did beat Bama in the Natty though. 

Kirby was very good at Alabama but since he has left, Bama makes it to the National Title game more often than when Kirby was there. 

Saban is still Saban. It takes a few years for a coach’s players and influence to leave the program. But Bama’s defense is nowhere near what they used to be. If you can’t see Bama’s lost a step, especially their defense, there’s not much I can say 

Edited by AUINSY
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AUINSY said:

Saban is still Saban. It takes a few years for a coach’s players and influence to leave the program. But Bama’s defense is nowhere near what they used to be. If you can’t see Bama’s lost a step, especially their defense, there’s not much I can say 

I'm surprised Golding is still there

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'm surprised Golding is still there

Same…especially after the DUI 

AL’s defensive production 2009 to 2021, Kirby left after 2015

7F5BD007-8D96-4E37-AFEB-F45D244221FD.jpeg

Edited by AUINSY
  • Like 1

Even Coach Caddy knows he isn't ready. He is exactly what we need right now. I love and admire what CCW has done since becoming IHC. I really hope he is retained under the new staff so he can learn the skills needed to eventually move up into coordinator positions and eventually a HC somewhere. CCW epitomizes what it is to be an Auburn man! So proud of and grateful for him!!

Edited by tbone4jc
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, alabastertiger said:

I agree with everything you say, but should he beat bama ... with this team ... How could you not give him a shot?

OM went down this road with Matt Luke....

• Like 1

Some people on here seriously underestimate how difficult it is to be an SEC HC. 

If all it took was energy, recruiting ability, and love for the school, every football team in the SEC would have a great head coach. 

Every reason posted here as to why we shouldn't hire Caddy also applies to Sanders. That's why I don't think either one if them is ready to be an SEC head coach.

• Like 2

Fortunately our new admin is slowly easing the battered fan syndrome out of me. Roberts was really scaring me, but credit to him for what's going on.... unless they hire Grimes after all of this. Just seems like a different AU where the admin is not operating off "fambly" or "emotions." That's for fans to do. Roberts seems to like the big hire, and is apparently not a yes man.

And John Cohen, well, go read up on him for yourselves. Dude apparently makes guys like Harsin and Galloway look like choir boys, but unlike them, he has won big. Point being, these guys are very to the point and possibly ruthless, and they don't seem to be the type to get caught up in the emotions of a story like Caddy and then make rash, emotion driven decisions afterwards that they end up regretting. 

• Thanks 1

Think about this in different terms. Say Tank stayed in bounds or the official called the holding/ safety in the end zone vs bammer last year and we win…..would that had bought Harsin another year, regardless of this season? Is a fluke iron bowl worth that much? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alexava said:

Think about this in different terms. Say Tank stayed in bounds or the official called the holding/ safety in the end zone vs bammer last year and we win…..would that had bought Harsin another year, regardless of this season? Is a fluke iron bowl worth that much? 

I don't think it would have bought Harsin another year. First, Mason quitting should have been the biggest red flag possibe. Then the February Fiasco that, unlike popular opinion at the time was NOT some contrivance of the mysterious PTB. There was a good bit of fire behind all that smoke. People who needed to know this knew it. All that and Harsin losing 20 players to the portal should have been enough to get him fired last summer. Follow that up with another dismal performance in the first half of this season and that should have been enough to get the job done.

• Like 1