players campaigning for Cadillac Williams

aubiefifty

Auburn football players campaigning for Cadillac Williams as head coach

Mary Kate Hughes
2–3 minutes

After an incredible weekend on the Plains, it’s safe to say that the Auburn football program is back up. Even without a head coach in place, the 3-win Tigers (now four, of course) played in front of a sold out crowd with electric energy in Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Not only did Auburn football defeat the Texas A&M Aggies, but the university also celebrated the opening of the new, football-only facility worth over 90 million dollars. With just two regular-season games left on the schedule, and important recruiting deadlines coming up at the beginning of December, the program is inching closer to making its next hire.

Though much of the buzz right now is surrounding Ole Miss head coach Lane Kiffin, who is widely considered as the favorite in the search, current Auburn football players are showing their support for interim head coach Cadillac Williams and the amazing job he’s done since taking over from Bryan Harsin.

Coach LAC for head coach!🧡💙 #WDE @CoachCaddy24

— Camden Brown (@CamdenBrown7) November 13, 2022

Remove that interim from the front of it WE WANT LAC!!!! 🦅

— Keionte Scott (@KeionteS) November 13, 2022

We want Coach Lac🧡💙!!!

— Koy Moore 🇲🇦 الحمدلله (@asap_koy) November 13, 2022

Coach LAC FOR HEAD COACH!

— Malcolm Johnson Jr (@thejjett) November 13, 2022

While there is absolutely no doubt that Cadillac has helped transform the program and fan base in what has been a mostly dreadful season, it’s not likely that he is gunning for his first head coaching job just yet. He has no head coaching experience, and was somewhat thrown in to the fire when he was named interim HC.

However, retaining Caddy on the staff should be a non-negotiable for the next head coach of Auburn football. It’s clear that he is extremely important to and has a great impact on the student-athletes, and the future of the football program.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

The best way to campaign for him is to do your job and play at your optimal. Seeing the energy but still very much lacking in detail , consistent play.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

The best way to campaign for him is to do your job and play at your optimal. Seeing the energy but still very much lacking in detail , consistent play.

I don’t blame that on Cadillac or expect that he has the experience to fine tune it. 

Guest MustardSeed
9 minutes ago, DAG said:

Because 2 weeks is sufficient time to change everything players have been coached over 2 years…

• WarTiger changed the title to players campaigning for Cadillac Williams
43 minutes ago, alexava said:

I don’t blame that on Cadillac or expect that he has the experience to fine tune it. 

Exactly why he shouldn’t be head coach , yet…

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Because 2 weeks is sufficient time to change everything players have been coached over 2 years…

Because our fans are clueless and don’t understand 2 weeks is not enough time to take the interim tag off…

I am

basically saying this is a pipe dream. Emotional response at best 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

That's nice of them but they are children and have no idea what they are talking about.

They’re young adults, Caddy won’t be HC but they know what they’re talking about more than random fans on a message board

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

5 minutes ago, Butthead said:

Prime + Caddy = yes

Prime +caddy+freeze +Gus+urban +grimes+muschamp +Rhule +Kiffin =WDE 

Edited by aubaseball
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

That's nice of them but they are children and have no idea what they are talking about.

That is an interesting statement.  I will respectfully disagree, though.  Please don't misunderstand me.  I'm not saying that we should hire whomever the players want.  However, I do take issue with the idea that the players have no idea what they are talking about.  If we had listened to the players more, over the last two years, we wouldn't have lost so much talent or be stuck where we are currently.  Many of them were trying to tell us something about Harsin, but we didn't listen well enough.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

That statement applies to most people in most situations, child or adult. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, miscram6 said:

That is an interesting statement.  I will respectfully disagree, though.  Please don't misunderstand me.  I'm not saying that we should hire whomever the players want.  However, I do take issue with the idea that the players have no idea what they are talking about.  If we had listened to the players more, over the last two years, we wouldn't have lost so much talent or be stuck where we are currently.  Many of them were trying to tell us something about Harsin, but we didn't listen well enough.

They have much more of an idea than me or the guy who made the post you quoted. Guys who are considered transcendent at reaching players have WON since Saban’s taken over. Saban, Dabo, O. The “player coach” is the archetype that’s succeeding nowadays, and if Cadillac is doing that well, he’s at least figured out the very basics 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sizzle said:

They’re young adults, Caddy won’t be HC but they know what they’re talking about more than random fans on a message board

They know next to nothing about running a program. It's an emotional appeal by them. I get it, Caddy is great at connecting with the players in the locker room, meeting rooms, practice fields, etc. but that doesn't mean you hand the keys to the program to him.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, selias said:

Caddy is great at connecting with the players in the locker room, meeting rooms, practice fields, etc. but that doesn't mean you hand the keys to the program to him.

It definitely doesn’t mean hand the keys to him but the things you named are super important for a HC to have. Recruits don’t really want to play for guys they can barely connect to. 

2 hours ago, Sizzle said:

You definitely have never taught college..

And definitely are NOT an evangelical.

• Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

Lol no you guys that never even played a high level sport know. The guys that equate yelling and not caring to being alpha.....that's who know

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, woodford said:

Inmates running the asylum is never good lol

The player worshippers are about to stop simping to Deion and move on to Caddy 

Yeah, those stupid "inmates" need to shut up and realize that they aren't the team, they are the equipment.

We need a tough, hard coach who will keep them in their place.

We should hire,,, that Harsin guy.

It is refreshing to see the players have a reason to step on the field and compete.  It is amazing that Cadillac was able to pick them up and inspire them it a very short time.  I for one, think he is doing real work and will make an outstanding coach at the highest level one day.  He absolutely gets what the kids need at this moment.  Any coach can hire a GM to do day to day operations, so I do think he will be ready sooner than later just not soon enough for us next season.  Cadillac is a humble legend that resonates with the players and you can never dismiss that as an emotional overreaction by kids.  We could do worse and have done.

Does no one remember a WR coach that was promoted to Interim and then head coach?  You don't have to have been one to be one.  Not saying LAC is the guy or should be but saying he isn't ready because he hasn't done it before is a little short sided. 

It is interesting because some of the same people pumping up the players also had problem with the other half of the players who vouched for CBH to stay. I respect our players and I respect our coaches, but ultimately we need people who can take a step back, evaluate and be objective in regards to long term success. For example, it is nice to win games, but barely beating an horrific Texas A&M team is not a reason to be extremely jubilant. This is where I cannot wait for the next coach to come in and create a sense of urgency and elevation for these guys, because they deserve as such.

• Like 2