All SEC Freshman

maryland tiger

I don't think Ashford will play a single down at QB for AU next year.  He's a RB trying to play QB.

He could be a fine QB at a lower level, but not in the SEC.  We need to get our starting QB for next year thru the portal, which is what Freeze is trying to do.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

12 hours ago, WillMunny said:

I don't think Ashford will play a single down at QB for AU next year.  He's a RB trying to play QB.

He could be a fine QB at a lower level, but not in the SEC.  We need to get our starting QB for next year thru the portal, which is what Freeze is trying to do.

I really don't think you know what Auburn has in Robby. Again, with coaching and a good Oline, he is going to be a terror in the SEC.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, WillMunny said:

He might get some snaps as a wildcat QB, if Freeze wants that in his offense. Another good spot for Ashford would be slot receiver where he could run some jet sweeps and get the ball in space via short passes.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, maryland tiger said:

I really don't think you know what Auburn has in Robby. Again, with coaching and a good Oline, he is going to be a terror in the SEC.

Apparently whatever we aren't seeing, the staff at Oregon didn't see it either. Two full seasons there and he never took a single snap at QB. Ashford has been an above average band aid for this past season but we'll need to move on from having a band aid at QB.

I think 2 things can be true. I think we could really benefit a ton from bringing in a portal QB and RA could potentially never see the field again.

On the other hand, I believe Freeze could coach up Robby and with the right kid of offense Robby could be a successful  QB in AU. Freeze is good with 1 read passing concepts.  Robby is never going to be a 70% passer I don't think, but with the right coaching I think he could definitely get into the 62-64% and that can win games along with his legs. 

I also think a lot of his problem was being thrown to the fire with a horrible OL. 

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

Apparently whatever we aren't seeing, the staff at Oregon didn't see it either. Two full seasons there and he never took a single snap at QB. Ashford has been an above average band aid for this past season but we'll need to move on from having a band aid at QB.

He was a true Freshman at Oregon!!! If we are going go by your reasoning, why didn't we see Geriner play since Robby and TJ were so bad??? Geriner should have seen the field more according to your asinine reasoning. Geriner wasn't ready just like Robby wasn't ready at Oregon. Besides, as an older man, you should know that everyone doesn't mature at the same rate.  

I seem to remember Jason Campbell coming into his own during his Senior year. He would not have been good enough for you his first three seasons. He got competent coaching that last year and should have won a national championship. 

Edited by maryland tiger

2 hours ago, maryland tiger said:

RGIII kept saying Robby reminds him of himself. Worst-case scenario, we keep Robby around to push whoever the starter will be. Best-case scenario, he goes out there and wins the job outright and has many more highlight reels. If Freeze can make Willis an NFL QB, I'd think he can make Robby a good SEC QB the athleticism and tools that Robby has. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Apparently whatever we aren't seeing, the staff under Gus didn't see it either. Two full seasons there and he only got 14 pass attempts. No other big time schools went for him either, hence Liberty.

Malik Willis has been an above average backup this past season but we'll need to move on from having a backup start at QB.

Nows where the average AUFamily poster tells me it's different cause they absolutely KNEW Willis was a star, and they absolutely know Ashford is a dud.

• Like 4

Ive seen enough.

1. CGM did not offer RA.

2. Kiffin pulled his offer.

3. Oregon - he was 3rd-4th on the depth chart.

4. After seeing him play he would absolutely excel at WR; speed sweep; wild cat.

Auburn needs a QB with consistent 60% passing. 

We need a starting QB from the portal for 2023.

If RA is hell bent on being a QB he will need at least a year of coaching from Freeze to get near 60%.  If he is our starter for 2023 I see our ceiling as a 7 win team.

Edited by AUY2K
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, WillMunny said:

Devan Barrett with a better arm.

7 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I think 2 things can be true. I think we could really benefit a ton from bringing in a portal QB and RA could potentially never see the field again.

On the other hand, I believe Freeze could coach up Robby and with the right kid of offense Robby could be a successful  QB in AU. Freeze is good with 1 read passing concepts.  Robby is never going to be a 70% passer I don't think, but with the right coaching I think he could definitely get into the 62-64% and that can win games along with his legs. 

I also think a lot of his problem was being thrown to the fire with a horrible OL. 

Never going to make 64% with a 1 read concept.

2 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Never going to make 64% with a 1 read concept.

Not saying that is all it would be...But Hugh is good with those and he can build from there. I don't know that he can make that period...but I haven't seen enough to tell me he can't with good coaching and playcalling either.

11 hours ago, maryland tiger said:

He was a true Freshman at Oregon!!!

He was at Oregon for two years and never took a snap in a game.

On 12/8/2022 at 8:18 PM, WillMunny said:

Simple congrats May have sufficed. I think he has potential and Freeze will give him a shot. He just needs some coaching and training in fundamental