Kent Austin - hired

alabastertiger

Hugh Freeze adds Kent Austin to staff

USATSI_8032986.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

Hugh Freeze continues to build his new staff at Auburn piece by piece. His most recent addition is a 20-year coaching veteran.

It has been reported by Auburn Live’s Keith Niebuhr that Kent Austin, who served as co-offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach under Hugh Freeze from 2019-22, is now a member of Auburn’s coaching staff.

Buy Tigers Tickets

While at Liberty, Austin was instrumental in the development of quarterbacks Stephen Calvert and Malik Willis. Calvert threw for 3,663 yards and 28 touchdowns in 2019 and had a streak of 295 passing attempts without throwing an interception. Following a stint at Auburn, Willis led the Flames in passing and rushing in 2020 and 2021. He passed for 5,107 yards and 47 touchdowns over his two-year career as Liberty’s starter while rushing for 1,822 yards and 27 touchdowns.

Austin began his coaching career in 2003 in the Canadian Football League, coaching quarterbacks for the Ottawa Renegades. He continued to climb up the coaching ladder in the CFL, where he became the offensive coordinator for the Toronto Argonauts from 2004-06, and served as head coach of the Saskatchewan Roughriders in 2007.

He returned to American soil in 2008 to become the offensive coordinator for Houston Nutt at Ole Miss until 2009. He left Ole Miss to become the head coach at Cornell from 2010-12 before moving back to Canada to lead the Hamilton Tiger-Cats from 2013-18. In addition to his head coaching duties, Austin was also the general manager and director of operations for the franchise.

Austin becomes the third member of Freeze’s staff from Liberty to follow him in Auburn, joining Jeremy Garrett and Ben Aigamaua. Freeze has also hired Wesley McGriff and Jake Thornton from Louisville and Ole Miss respectively while holding onto Cadillac Williams, Zac Etheridge, and Christian Robinson from Bryan Harsin’s staff.

Austin’s role within Freeze’s staff has yet to be announced.

Freeze has said a few times that he believes Austin is one of the best QB coaches in the game.   I’m looking forward to seeing what he can do with Robby and whoever else we get.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, AUinMS9528 said:

Freeze has said a few times that he believes Austin is one of the best QB coaches in the game.   I’m looking forward to seeing what he can do with Robby and whoever else we get.  

My guess is that among those already on campus, Geriner will be the one who benefits most. He appears to have all the tools and now has a year of being on a college team behind him. Of course, who we do or don't get through the portal will determine a lot.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AUinMS9528 said:

After reading that article. Looks like he is a lot more than a good QB coach. I could see why Freeze would want that guy around. 

• Like 2

Been kicking around CFL, Cornell and Liberty in nearly a 20 year coaching career. 

If he's a top shelf QB coach, he's evaded a lot of notice over the years. 

• Facepalm 1

Andy Burcham did a sit down interview with Freeze when he was first hired. Andy asked Freeze what made him so good at developing QB's and Freeze said a huge part is Kent Austin. I forget his exact quote but he basically says Kent Austin is a genius at working with and developing QB's. Freeze does the mental work with the QB's and Austin does the physical teaching like footwork, mechanics, etc. 

I'm very happy with this hire. Tbh, I'm really happy with all that Coach Freeze has done in his short time here. It's very refreshing to see our HC get after it from day 1. WDE

• Like 5

Agree with M4AU.  Everyone should watch the video AEA posted above.   CKA is Very well-spoken and very thoughtful.   We can expect good QB coaching now, and we really have not had it in a long time.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 12/10/2022 at 8:05 AM, AEAugirl said:

Presser about Malik that should give everyone some insight as to the type of coach Auburn is getting in regards to QB development.  Haven’t heard a coach talk like this about QBs at Auburn maybe ever.  Seems like he gets what it takes to coach a successful QB.  

I would be happy with Ken as OC. 

Edited by WarEagle231
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, WarEagle231 said:

I would be happy with Ken as OC. 

Bryan Harsin on repeat

• Like 1

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Bryan Harsin on repeat

I would agree, but he put Malik Willis in the NFL, and had him looking like a world beater when he wasn’t even a contributor at Auburn.

7 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Bryan Harsin on repeat

Really?  What a lazy comparison.  I think Freeze has the backing of the money people at Auburn, Harsin never did.

• Like 1

Austin is a well respected QB coach and Freeze is going to be the main play caller. I think it will help get everyone on the same page offensively. That was obviously not the case this season.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CR said:

Austin is a well respected QB coach and Freeze is going to be the main play caller. I think it will help get everyone on the same page offensively. That was obviously not the case this season.

I wonder if Hugh hires an OC? What's been rumored the last few days is like you said, that Hugh will call plays next season and Kent will be moved from being an offensive analyst like he was this season, to being the new QB coach but they're not sure if Hugh will also make Kent our OC or just hire a young OC to possibly install Hugh's gameplans each week during practice. 

Just now, TeamZero77 said:

I wonder if Hugh hires an OC? What's been rumored the last few days is like you said, that Hugh will call plays next season and Kent will be moved from being an offensive analyst like he was this season, to being the new QB coach but they're not sure if Hugh will also make Kent our OC or just hire a young OC to possibly install Hugh's gameplans each week during practice. 

I figure his OC will be an ace recruiter.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, CR said:

Well respected by who. I haven't seen people lining up at his door (OH excuse me well repected in CFL).  Even HF who called him the best QB he has ever scene did not originally hire him as an on the field coach.

1 hour ago, WarEagle231 said:

I would agree, but he put Malik Willis in the NFL, and had him looking like a world beater when he wasn’t even a contributor at Auburn.

Didn't Harsin and whatever his name was?  

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

Really?  What a lazy comparison.  I think Freeze has the backing of the money people at Auburn, Harsin never did.

We ate talking about coordinators here.

Stay on topic pls