2023 3* IOL Conner Lew Flips from Miami to AU!

Sizzle

@bigbird  Don't like reality, do you? Let's see then: According to the roster provided by AUTigers.com, we have 13 scholarship O-linemen on the team. Ten of them are Malzahn recruits. Harsin has had 20 months to address this situation but so far he's signed only three O-line guys and one of them was committed to AU before Harsin was hired. That's clearly worse than what Gus was doing.

The people deserving a Pinocchio award are those who deny facts and claim O-line numbers and O-line recruiting aren't worse now than they were three years ago.

Here is my opinion (You know what they say about opinions)…
These senior guys that came back because of Covid should not even be on the roster this year. Basically the only reason that we are not screwed this year is because of Covid. Take them off the roster. 
Usually lineman, when they come in, they red shirt. So Harsin would be responsible for the freshman and the red shirt freshman. He was only here a month before the first class so there’s no way we could say that he was going to sign a good first class. That would not be reasonable. Now this last class (his first full year of recruiting) has been a complete disaster. And this upcoming class looks to be a disaster. However we should have a roster full of sophomores and juniors from Gus to breadfruit the gap.  But that is not the case. The only reason that we can “bridge the gap” this year is because we got lucky with Covid - never thought I would say that ha. 
Simply put, recruiting on the o line, especiAlly tackles, for the last 4-5years, Has been mismanaged and it is not getting any better. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2016 - 1 OT Hamm

2017 - 1 OG, 2 OT, Troxel and Brahms. Calvin Ashley transferred out. 2/3 w/ playing time.

2018 - 1 OG, 1 OT, 0/2 with playing time.

2019 - 2 OGs, 1 OT. 2 transferred out. 1/3 w/ playing time KJones.

2020 - 2 OG out of HS, 3 JUCO OTs. 1 Starter, 1 w/ playing time. 

So in five years Gus recruited a total of 14 OL with only 10/11 remaining at Auburn in 2022 and only 5-6 being starters or receiving playing time. With only 8 being recruited out of HS with full eligibility.  

All the above from 24/7 sports.

Further, if you take out the super seniors that shouldn't even be here like @gr82b4au pointed out the OL roster Gus left is even worse. 5-6 OL from Gus's tenure without the super seniors. 

This is roster mismanagement.  4/5 OL should be taken every year.  Gus took 1-3 and didn't retain all that he took.

You shouldn't make such declarative statements Mikey when they are so easily proven wrong.

Everything you said is true.  The sad part is that so far Harsin has a similar record.

1st years Langlo IOL/OT and Smith OT (Mikey will say Gus Recruited Langlo and that is true but Harsin kept him when a lot of people leave when a coach is replaced).

Last Year Harris OT.

GUs in last 2 years had 1 HS OT who left us. 

So far it is a wash on how bad both have recruited O-line but this years class is not finished even though it is not looking good so far.

Edited by AuburnNTexas

Everything you said is true.  The sad part is that so far Harsin has a similar record.

1st years Langlo IOL/OT and Smith OT (Mikey will say Gus Recruited Langlo and that is true but Harsin kept him when a lot of people leave when a coach is replaced).

Last Year Harris OT.

GUs in last 2 years had 1 HS OT who left us. 

So far it is a wash on how bad both have recruited O-line but this years class is not finished even though it is not looking good so far.

Agreed but the topic wasn't Harsin, Mikey claimed Gus had the OL "coming in", which isn't the case.

Further, due to how Harsin scouts I do not forsee OL transferring out once they get on campus as was an issue with Gus, however time will tell.  Verdict is still out on Harsin.

• Thanks 1

Agreed but the topic wasn't Harsin, Mikey claimed Gus had the OL "coming in", which isn't the case.

Further, due to how Harsin scouts I do not forsee OL transferring out once they get on campus as was an issue with Gus, however time will tell.  Verdict is still out on Harsin.

I know I was just adding it to the total concept of how bad O-Line recruiting has been period. I will give Harsin some leeway as while only 3 O-Line in 2 years and one of those was a short year he has brought in 3 O-Line in which 2 were actually OT's and the other Langlo was seen working with the OT's in the Spring so that is 3 OT's in 2 years. Still waiting on this year plus the Portal before I will say that Harsin is as bad as Gus in O-line recruiting. I am really hoping to see 2-3 more HS O-Line in the 2023 class then a nice Pickup in Portal but I believe 1st 5 games will have a lot to do with that. Most HS O-linemen take 2-3 years to be able to be starters at a program like Auburn. So If we still manage to sign 3-4 O-Line in this class if most are 3* but with the right frame, athletic ability and attitude to be developed I will still be happy with this years HS class I also want 2 of them to be OT's Then we need to make hay in the Portal. 

• Like 1

• Sizzle changed the title to 4 star IOL Connor Lew. Commitment watch, 6:45 ET || out of Auburn’s control

I'm bringing this over to this thread since the discussion is still going on over here. This is from the BCW thread from Mikey.

After all the trash that was tossed at Gus over the past few years I don't see how you or anybody else could have the nerve to complain about people who point out the failures of the current staff.

And right there, Mikey states the entire crux of why he is being such a jerk. He's bitter about the whole deal with Gus. Thank you for actually having the balls to admit to it, even if you didn't actually mean to state it so blatantly.

*EDIT* Oh, btw, I have EVERY right to complain about people like you pointing out the perceived failures of this current staff. You want to know why? BECAUSE I DEFENDED GUS THE SAME WAY!!! Until it was pretty obvious that things were never going to get better under Gus, and I accepted that it was time for both parties to move on, I went to bat for him, both on here and when talking to friends in person. I even still had some belief left as late as the Iron Bowl in 2019. So just stop with your mocking indignation at me.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

I'm bringing this over to this thread since the discussion is still going on over here. This is from the BCW thread from Mikey.

And right there, Mikey states the entire crux of why he is being such a jerk. He's bitter about the whole deal with Gus. Thank you for actually having the balls to admit to it, even if you didn't actually mean to state it so blatantly.

*EDIT* Oh, btw, I have EVERY right to complain about people like you pointing out the perceived failures of this current staff. You want to know why? BECAUSE I DEFENDED GUS THE SAME WAY!!! Until it was pretty obvious that things were never going to get better under Gus, and I accepted that it was time for both parties to move on, I went to bat for him, both on here and when talking to friends in person. I even still had some belief left as late as the Iron Bowl in 2019. So just stop with your mocking indignation at me.

I was all for Gus until around 2018-2019, my Dad and I started having convos that went like "Gus isn't it, he isn't developing talent, his offenses suck, and his OL recruiting has been bad but we cannot fire him yet, because in this landscape who could we get that will be better? We might as well stick it out with him for a couple more years." then 2020 happened and we both realized he needed to be fired immediately.

• Like 1

Most of this is not about Lew but just same ole same ole love gus/hate gus, love Harsin/hate Harsin. We are where we are and we all know we need OL!

Edited by Hank2020
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

"No, if Gus were still at AU, he'd have had O-line guys coming on. He always did." which simply isn't true and easily disproven.

Yours is the claim that is easily dis proven. Name the year we ran out of O-line guys under Gus. It didn't happen. His O-line recruiting, while not good, was never as bad as Harsin's has been. What you are attempting to do is blame Gus for failures that happened after he was no longer at Abuurn, which is absurd.

• Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

Do you always miss the mark so completely, or do you save your total misses for special occasions? I have stated numerous times that it was time for a change at Auburn. Bitter about something I wanted? Nonsense.

Did I make the accurate statement that most schools who change coaches go through four new ones before they find one that they are happy with? Yes I did, and we are well on the way to seeing if coach #2 will be the answer or not.

Now, it is remarkable that the same people who griped about Gus jump in to defend Harsin. Gus accomplished a number of good things in his time at AU while all Harsin has accomplished is a losing season, 1 & 1/2 poor recruiting cycles and apparently heading to another poor cycle. He's alienated the big money guys he needs to have on his side and had to spend the better part of the summer mending fences with high school coaches. Harsin has earned his criticism.

• Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

I was all for Gus until around 2018-2019, my Dad and I started having convos that went like "Gus isn't it, he isn't developing talent, his offenses suck, and his OL recruiting has been bad but we cannot fire him yet, because in this landscape who could we get that will be better? We might as well stick it out with him for a couple more years." then 2020 happened and we both realized he needed to be fired immediately.

That's about how it happened for me, as well.

• Like 1

I don’t care who the coach is, the inability to sign a reasonable OL class for 7-8 straight years is just mind-boggling. The fact that this is carrying over from one coaching regime to another is really hard for me to understand. Just one good class of 4-5 guys that stick and contribute (of the non-LS variety)would sure be nice….

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Do you always miss the mark so completely, or do you save your total misses for special occasions? I have stated numerous times that it was time for a change at Auburn. Bitter about something I wanted? Nonsense.

Did I make the accurate statement that most schools who change coaches go through four new ones before they find one that they are happy with? Yes I did, and we are well on the way to seeing if coach #2 will be the answer or not.

Now, it is remarkable that the same people who griped about Gus jump in to defend Harsin. Gus accomplished a number of good things in his time at AU while all Harsin has accomplished is a losing season, 1 & 1/2 poor recruiting cycles and apparently heading to another poor cycle. He's alienated the big money guys he needs to have on his side and had to spend the better part of the summer mending fences with high school coaches. Harsin has earned his criticism.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm sorry, you just displayed how bitter you are about people tearing Gus down, then you turned around and completely ignored the statement I quoted. Typical.

It doesn't matter if you came to see the light about Gus needing to be gone. You're bitter that you defended him for years when he didn't deserve it while the majority was against you, and now the new coach isn't getting the same treatment, so you're going to make sure he gets it. You refuse to accept that the program was in worse shape when Harsin took over than it was when Malzahn took over, you refuse to acknowledge the added complications of COVID and the NIL, and you seem to enjoy tearing down positivity in any way you can... which is what you felt like was happening to Gus.

Harsin has earned *some* criticism, but you've had an obvious vendetta against him since the very beginning.

• Love 2

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm sorry, you just displayed how bitter you are about people tearing Gus down, then you turned around and completely ignored the statement I quoted. Typical.

It doesn't matter if you came to see the light about Gus needing to be gone. You're bitter that you defended him for years when he didn't deserve it while the majority was against you, and now the new coach isn't getting the same treatment, so you're going to make sure he gets it. You refuse to accept that the program was in worse shape when Harsin took over than it was when Malzahn took over, you refuse to acknowledge the added complications of COVID and the NIL, and you seem to enjoy tearing down positivity in any way you can... which is what you felt like was happening to Gus.

Harsin has earned *some* criticism, but you've had an obvious vendetta against him since the very beginning.

Again, do you always miss the mark so completely or do you save your misses for special occasions?

• Haha 1

Again, do you always miss the mark so completely or do you save your misses for special occasions?

Are you always a troll, or do you save it for AUFamily?

• Love 1

I don’t care who the coach is, the inability to sign a reasonable OL class for 7-8 straight years is just mind-boggling. The fact that this is carrying over from one coaching regime to another is really hard for me to understand. Just one good class of 4-5 guys that stick and contribute (of the non-LS variety)would sure be nice….

Here's what you seem to be asking for:  The class of 2020, five OL signees, all five of which are still with the program. https://auburn.rivals.com/commitments/Football/2020

• Haha 2

@provibeIf you get tired of using that "dislike" reaction, here's another way to do it: :thumbsdown: Now you don't have to be so boring with just one way to illustrate your displeasure. Hey, who loves ya'? :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

Most of this is not about Lew but just same ole same ole love gus/hate gus, love Harsin/hate Harsin. We are where we are and we all know we need OL!

There’s only one side blatantly misrepresenting the facts. 

Not to get this thread off track but Lew did commit to Miami.

Someone please explain what "out of Auburn's control" means.  I don't understand.

• Like 2

Not to get this thread off track but Lew did commit to Miami.

Thanks . I can see this thread got out of control once again because one person. That sucks. Really hope we can start going after some of the lower ranked dudes now. It’s still the beginning 

• Like 2

Someone please explain what "out of Auburn's control" means.  I don't understand.

I have NO idea but possibly parent or handler strictly deciding for him?   

We just need some OL

Nobody understands what it means it’s just what the reports been saying the past few days leading up to now