2024 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

On 4/12/2023 at 10:16 AM, woodford said:

I believe you and I'm sure those things happen but we're in a new era + Saban is on his way out.

I would love to believe this but he’s a workaholic and still recruiting as good as ever…why would he quit before he’s 80?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

why would he quit before he’s 80?

@AUwent He supposedly doesn't like the NIL and portal era at all. Theoretically could drive him out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

@AUwent He supposedly doesn't like the NIL and portal era at all. Theoretically could drive him out.

Doesn't want to play on a field where richer schools can out recruit him.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Think it has to do more with how entitled this whole process has become.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, AUwent said:

I would love to believe this but he’s a workaholic and still recruiting as good as ever…why would he quit before he’s 80?

Because he’s done winning titles. Little Nicky has a fragile ego. He will retire before he starts losing 3+ games a year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

He doesn’t want to play in a league where everyone, theoretically, is on the same level playing field. 

• Like 6

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

You see the class he just put together, right???

This is Sabans MO. Rule changes, he complains about, then uses it to his advantage and dominates.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Meet the 2024 Auburn recruiting class to date

ColePinkston

Jayden Lewis: Photo - Cole Pinkston/On3

Auburn now has five commitments in its 2024 class, and seems to be picking up some steam.

The commitment Friday by former Alabama tight end commit Martavious Collins to Auburn was another significant pickup for Hugh Freeze and Co. Collins was one of the biggest 2024 offensive targets on the Auburn recruiting board.

He is the first, and top priority, of what could be a two tight end class for the Tigers.

Here’s a brief rundown of who’s on board …

Full Martavious Collins breakdown

*Martavious Collins of Rome (Ga.), TE

On3 Industry stars: 3

On3 Industry Rankings: No. 28 tight end, No. 63 recruit in the state of Georgia, No. 514 nationally.

Rating: 88.21

411: Collins was a top priority at tight end even before he de-committed from Alabama. With the changing of offensive coordinators and some philosophy adjustment, Alabama and Collins had a mutual parting. Auburn, though, loves Collins’ skillset for playing both tight end and H-back. He is best at blocking on the line of scrimmage and in space, but can catch the ball as well.

*J’Marion Burnette of Andalusia (Ala.), RB

On3 Industry stars: 4

On3 Industry Rankings: No. 16 running back, No. 12 recruit in the state of Alabama, No. 213 nationally.

Rating: 91.15

411: Burnette chose Auburn over offers from programs such as Florida State, Ole Miss and South Carolina. Additionally, he claimed offers from both Alabama and Georgia, though it’s not known how hard either pursued him. Regardless, Auburn badly wanted him and is glad to have him. The Tigers hope to sign at least two backs in the class. Over his sophomore and junior seasons, he rushed for 3,745 yards and 29 touchdowns.

*Walker White of Little Rock Christian Academy (Ark.), QB

On3 Industry Rankings: No. 10 quarterback, No. 1 recruit in the state of Arkansas, No. 98 nationally.

Rating: 93.12

411: White committed to Auburn over Clemson on Feb. 3. He also claimed offers from several other programs, notably Alabama, Arkansas and Baylor. Upon the arrival of Freeze and offensive coordinator Phillip Montgomery in Auburn, White almost immediately became the Tigers’ top quarterback target. He appears to be locked in with Auburn. White has visited the Tigers multiple times and actively is recruiting for them. He plans to visit no other schools.

Auburn now has three commitments in the top 22 for the state of Alabama 

*Jayden Lewis of Anniston (Ala.), CB

On3 Industry Rankings: No. 27 cornerback, No. 18 recruit in the state of Alabama, No. 299 nationally.

Rating: 89.94

411: Lewis chose Auburn over his other top schools: Arkansas, Florida State, Ole Miss, South Carolina and Tennessee. “Auburn has everything I need,” he said when he committed. Lewis is one of the fastest prospects in the state of Alabama and recently clocked a time of 10.83 seconds in the 100 meters. He appears to be solid in his verbal.

*A’Mon Lane of Moody (Ala.), CB/S/Nickel

On3 Industry Rankings: No. 29 cornerback, No. 22 recruit in the state of Alabama, No. 312 nationally.

Rating: 89.82

411: Lane committed last July 30 to the previous Auburn regime, but Freeze and the current defensive staff have made him feel wanted so Lane is sticking with the Tigers. Though undersized slightly (he’s generously listed at 5-foot-11), Lane has the speed an athleticism that are needed in the SEC. His future might be at the nickel because of his frame and skillset.

On 4/14/2023 at 11:46 AM, AuburnNTexas said:

Doesn't want to play on a level playing field period.

They landed at least seven 5*s this year (nine if you use 247). I'd love for you guys to be right but I'm just not seeing this evidence that Wee Man is slowing down?

• Like 3

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

• Like 1

War Daddy Recruit: The factors that matter for 5-star safety KJ Bolden and the schools that can capitalize

By STEVE WILTFONG Apr 14, 7:23 AM

Every recruiting class has them: The household names who are tracked breathlessly, who can send a fan base into a whirlwind with one cryptic tweet, who become water-cooler (i.e., message board) fodder because of two things: They're really damn good — and they're uncommitted. As the 2024 recruiting cycle kicks into another gear, 247Sports is profiling a slew of these players in the War Daddy series as our analysts handicap far-and-wide recruiting battles and tell you why these players matter on a national scale.

Buford (Ga.) High five-star safety KJ Bolden is one of the most coveted prospects in the country, not only because of his athletic prowess as a two-way standout for one of the best high school football programs in the country, but for all the intangibles he brings to the table as well.

“He’s so dedicated and passionate about everything he does,” Bolden’s mother Lakeisha Wright said. “KJ is caring, he’s giving, he’s just a special kid. He’s well-mannered. He’s respectful. He’s a hard worker, on and off the field.”

Top StoriesREAD MOREFive-star DL Williams Nwaneri has next visit, officialsin mind

247Sports ranks Bolden as the No. 1 safety in the land and No. 11 prospect overall, with the likes of Kirby Smart, Nick Saban and Ryan Day all pushing strongly to add the blue-chipper to their respective 2024 class. In addition to the football prowess, which included helping lead Buford to a state championship as a sophomore, Bolden finished third at state in the triple jump a year ago and is also one of the top sprinters in the Peach State where he has helped win a 4X100 state championship.

“Obviously he’s a special kid as far as on the field,” Buford head coach Bryant Appling said. “He does things that will take me and you and other guys a long time to get. He gets it really fast. He picks up things really fast scheme wise and also picks up on athletic things really fast. He falls into athletic plays kind of deal.”

Bolden’s alarm clock goes off at 5:45 in the morning, he runs a mile or so and returns home to get ready for a 6:30 practice. The high school is conveniently across the street from his house so he has incredibly convenient access to Buford’s incredible high school facilities.

“You see a lot of kids that are special in that way don’t bust their tail in the weight room or on the track or do all the extra stuff,” Appling said. He can see Bolden’s home from the side door of his office. “He’s a hard-working kid willing to do anything that will make him better and he’s not scared to try new things. He’s a different type of leader too. His teammates love him, coaches like him, people gravitate towards him. We put a lot on him because he’s a good leader. He’s a natural leader. He’s not scared to step up in front of teammates and say what he needs to say to get things going and he’s really, really grown in that aspect this past year.”

Bolden has always been a dominant player.

“I realized KJ was going to be great when he was five and playing flag football and he was so much faster than kids that were seven and eight-years old,” Wright said. “And more physical. I said to myself, he’s going to be great at this.”

Wright was certainly on point. Bolden made the varsity as a ninth grader and made a lot of clutch plays as a sophomore in the run to the title including a big third-down conversion reception on the game-winning drive in the title tilt. He could be a terrific college receiver but possesses a special skillset in the secondary where he could line up anywhere from safety to nickel to corner.

“Definitely he can cover as much ground as anyone in a number of different ways,” Appling said. “He’s a striker on defense as well. He will come down and put his body on somebody in the B gap or C gap and not be afraid to hit a running back that’s 30 pounds heavier than he is.”

Florida State was the first program to offer Bolden back in July of 2020 and the Seminoles remain one of the main contenders in Bolden’s recruitment. He was one of the first prospects in the 2024 cycle to see his process go national.

“Recruiting has been hectic, it’s been great, met so many different great coaches and their families,” Wright said. “A lot of great opportunities to play, most of them to start as a freshman and get coached by some of the best, Nick Saban, Kirby Smart, Dabo Swinney, a lot of great coaches. Coach (Hugh) Freeze at Auburn, Coach Mike Norvell at Florida State, a lot of great choices. He has so many great choices. It’s been a wonderful journey.

“The important factors determining KJ’s decision will be No. 1 academics," Wright added. "A school that academically he’ll be challenged and can graduate early. We’re on a three-year plan. No. 2: development, for the next level. Three: actually be somewhere he can play and start on start on Saturdays. The goal is to play college ball and get film to get to the next level.”

AUBURN TIGERS

Auburn didn’t make Bolden’s Top 15 he put out at the beginning of the calendar year, but a new staff and a different energy around the program created intrigue, and two spring visits including last weekend’s spring game has Bolden excited about a future return.

“Was great being back on the Plains this weekend,” Bolden told 247Sports. “I really enjoyed my time. The highlights of my weekend were meeting with Coach Freeze and his family and also the time with Coach Zac (Etheridge). The Auburn family always makes my family feel welcome! The spring game was still interesting and fun to watch in the rain.

“I just left and can’t wait to get back.”

Bolden felt the same way after his first visit in March.

“My visit to Auburn was amazing!” Bolden stated. “The highlights of the trip were spending quality time with Coach Freeze and Coach Zac. I also enjoyed my time with some of players and the love they showed me. I just left and I’m already thinking about my next visit.

“I love everything about Coach Freeze and the new staff. They have something special going on and I love it. I immediately felt like home as soon as I got out the car!

“Auburn has to be one of the top schools that I have visited. I really enjoyed learning about the academic side of things, what that looks like for me. Also Auburn is going through a rebuilding process right now that I can see myself being a part.  I can’t go wrong Auburn is a traditional school as well.

“The new staff have a strong game plan!” Bolden stated. “The entire staff is on the same page and I can see the vision on what they’re building over there. I’ve spoken to several top players in my class 2024 who’s considering visiting and attending Auburn.”

WHY BOLDEN MATTERS

Bolden is a prospect that has all the traits, on and off the field, to help maintain a championship-level program or help build one.

“He’s a great one,” Appling said.

247Sports Director of Scouting Andrew Ivins agrees.

“A two-way playmaker in one of Georgia’s higher classifications that is known for his footspeed and athletic markers after qualifying for states in the 100-meter dash as a freshman and then capturing bronze in the triple jump as a sophomore. Could probably play some offense at the next level as he’s more than capable of producing big gains via deep shots or jet sweeps, but ceiling appears to be highest in the secondary as he’s got plenty of range on the backend and always seems to be taking the right angles. Surprisingly physical given his wiry frame (measured roughly 6-foot, 185 pounds spring before junior year) and doesn’t seem to have too many issues wrangling much larger ball carriers to the ground. However, likely going to only make even more of an impact in run support once lifting in a college weight room. Should be viewed as one of the top safety prospects in the 2024 cycle given ball skills and closing speed. Looks rather comfortable in man-to-man situations on the offseason 7v7 circuit, but might be best suited to play in a zone-based scheme as that would allow him to just read and react to what’s going on in front of him. Will add plenty of special teams value. Track profile likely to draw plenty of looks from NFL scouts one day.”

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

• Like 2

• Like 4

• Like 1

• Thanks 1

Jaylin Crawford

• Like 2

On 4/14/2023 at 11:59 AM, ellitor said:

Think it has to do more with how entitled this whole process has become.

Well, all he has to do is look in the mirror.

Sometimes it sucks to get what you want, eh Lil' Nicky?

• Like 1

• Like 1

This is how you recruit players CBH !