2023 Transfer Portal Thread

ellitor

17 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Some news from On3 breaking this morning about a Texas Tech kid.  Basically Texas Tech AHC Corey Williams possibly coming over to replace Wes Flanagn and bringing this guy....

https://www.on3.com/db/jaylon-tyson-59156/

I saw this coach mentioned (in the intentionally vague insider type of way) on twitter yesterday, I hoped the name would find its way on here. I love TT’s modern pedigree as a basketball program and their former HC was a real winner. If we poach a guy from there, that’s a W and the kid you linked looks like he’s pretty close to this Cleveland kid’s lofty recruit status 

Maybe this is what this package deal is what they’re waiting to complete rather than a kid in the NBA draft? 

• Like 1

Corey Williams (Auburn's 99% chance Assistant coach hire)

Thanks for the jinx son.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Maybe this is what this package deal is what they’re waiting to complete rather than a kid in the NBA draft? 

Hoke said AU has options more than MC so I still think the staff is expecting a quality 3 to withdraw from the draft & look to transfer. JT would be an option without the s at the end.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Hoke said AU has options more than MC so I still think the staff is expecting a quality 3 to withdraw from the draft & look to transfer. JT would be an option without the s at the end.

Just based on these posts, I have to think it’s at least reasonable that it’s someone they have a great amount of report with in the draft. I doubt anyone outside of Pearl and co know any specific names, but there has to be at least one person they have a near perfect relationship, for them to gamble as much as they have on him (or them)

5 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Some news from On3 breaking this morning about a Texas Tech kid.  Basically Texas Tech AHC Corey Williams possibly coming over to replace Wes Flanagn and bringing this guy....

https://www.on3.com/db/jaylon-tyson-59156/

That guy looks pretty good also. Not sure he's a good as Cleveland, but I'm sure Bruce knows what he's doing based on what he's working with (e.g., staff, NIL, competition, etc.).  

Apparently he had interest in AU as a recruit 

Edited by HAPvsOA

4 minutes ago, HAPvsOA said:

Not sure he's a good as Cleveland

Better. More efficient scorer and better defender.

16 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Better. More efficient scorer and better defender.

247 has Cleveland ranked 18 spots higher in the portal, but perhaps Tyson is a better fit for Auburn as you suggest. We could really use a high efficiency 3&D wing to go with our scoring guards, scoring center, and hopefully a scoring 4 if Jaylin comes back or we get another stud there.

I'll be excited by either one, but wish we could get both since Tyson looks athletic and tall enough to play the 4 at times and Cleveland looks as if he could guard any wing position and be a tall 2 if needed. 

247 Ranking and stat comparison.

21.  Matthew Cleveland, SF: From Florida State (94); Stats: 13.8 PPG, 7.4 RPG, 1.8 APG. 35% 3-point shooting.

39. Jaylon Tyson, SF: From Texas Tech (93); Stats: 10.7 PPG, 6.1 RPG, 1.3 APG. 53.8% 2-point shooting and 40.2% 3-point shooting.

Edit:

CBS has Tyson ranked a few spots higher than Cleveland. 9 vs. 13.

Tyson's scouting report from 247. "Tyson is a scoring wing who can make shots from all three ranges. What makes him special is his size, strength, and skill. Tyson has a lot in his triple threat bag as he can put the ball on the floor effectively to create a shot or get to the rim or shoot the ball accurately with range. He is strong with the ball in his hands and is a solid passer who can make the right finds on his attack. A prospect who blew up during the beginning of his junior high school season, Tyson has all the tools to be a productive offensive talent in the Big XII."

Edited by HAPvsOA
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, HAPvsOA said:

247 has Cleveland ranked 18 spots higher in the portal, but perhaps Tyson is a better fit for Auburn as you suggest. We could really use a high efficiency 3&D wing to go with our scoring guards, scoring center, and hopefully a scoring 4 if Jaylin comes back or we get another stud there.

I'll be excited by either one, but wish we could get both since Tyson looks athletic and tall enough to play the 4 at times and Cleveland looks as if he could guard any wing position and be a tall 2 if needed. 

247 Ranking and stat comparison.

21.  Matthew Cleveland, SF: From Florida State (94); Stats: 13.8 PPG, 7.4 RPG, 1.8 APG. 35% 3-point shooting.

39. Jaylon Tyson, SF: From Texas Tech (93); Stats: 10.7 PPG, 6.1 RPG, 1.3 APG. 53.8% 2-point shooting and 40.2% 3-point shooting.

Edit:

CBS has Tyson ranked a few spots higher than Cleveland. 9 vs. 13.

Tyson's scouting report from 247. "Tyson is a scoring wing who can make shots from all three ranges. What makes him special is his size, strength, and skill. Tyson has a lot in his triple threat bag as he can put the ball on the floor effectively to create a shot or get to the rim or shoot the ball accurately with range. He is strong with the ball in his hands and is a solid passer who can make the right finds on his attack. A prospect who blew up during the beginning of his junior high school season, Tyson has all the tools to be a productive offensive talent in the Big XII."

Cleveland will be a Jr so maybe more development potential and bump for Tyson in the coaches eye?  I do like that Tyson seems to be solid with the ball in his hands and can create a shot

On 4/19/2023 at 9:55 AM, ellitor said:

@Dunndone414 Not sure if you missed it but AU doesn't appear to be all in on him yet.

We aren't, he's probably the 3rd option right now.

On 4/19/2023 at 10:10 AM, Lotto said:

We have no reason not to be.  I don't see how we couldn't be all in on him.  Please explain more because we need him!

The staff feels better about players they feel are better. 

On 4/19/2023 at 5:04 PM, HAPvsOA said:

That guy looks pretty good also. Not sure he's a good as Cleveland, but I'm sure Bruce knows what he's doing based on what he's working with (e.g., staff, NIL, competition, etc.).  

Apparently he had interest in AU as a recruit 

Tyson is a better defender

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

Now that's one hell of a profound statement right there

• Haha 4

Bring in another. Philon just decommitted. Dang that sucks.

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Now that's one hell of a profound statement right there

Man, I had to read it about 5 different times to make sure it was right before posting.

I almost posted, "yeah, that works" after it  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MCPeePants said:

Twitter is ablaze that we should get an addition today.  Any guesses?  Maybe Tyson from TTU?

Based on the visit yesterday, Chaney Johnson from UAH. 

13 minutes ago, MCPeePants said:

Twitter is ablaze that we should get an addition today.  Any guesses?  Maybe Tyson from TTU?

I hope anyone that knows doesn't answer the question.

Let the kid have his day 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MCPeePants said:

It may come to fruition, but it can't happen yet.

19 minutes ago, MCPeePants said:

Maybe Tyson from TTU?

@MCPeePants Corey Williams would likely have to pop as an assistant 1st, if he were to join the staff.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Bring in another. Philon just decommitted. Dang that sucks.

@AUBwins Likely replace him with another guard in the 2024 class rather than a transfer would be my guess.

I would say some curse words if I knew any

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Lotto said:

I would say some curse words if I knew any

Here's Golf's favorite...Bird!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, bigbird said:

This is a fluid statement 

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

This is a fluid statement 

Not as it relates to Cleveland and a couple of transfers which is what the post was about.

• Thanks 1