2024 Men's Recruiting Thread

ellitor

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, toddc said:

Realistically do we have a shot?

4 hours ago, BigBlueWDE said:

Dang, energy around the program is low right now. Bruce is quiet, recruiting is quiet. 

It is only because football is the hot topic right now and we have been at such a lower level with the football program. Bruce is building a championship contending team. I will say that his biggest stumble was resistance to the transfer portal but now has very much changed his mindset. To be at that high of a level 'one and done' becomes much more common and BP knows this. 

• Like 2

I am getting greedy in my old age.  Football recruiting is going so well that I am smiling all the time. Then I come here and don't see anything. Pearl and staff did a great job of rebuilding this team with HS and portal for upcoming season but I want at least one more Impactful HS player in the 2024 class.  I realize  basketball recruiting because of numbers 13 scholarships versus 85 that there will never be as much news on this site. But I am greedy I want to see some positive news here.

We are probably only looking at getting 2 or 3 HS players and we already have a great one but I want some positive news on this site soon. 

This is not a knock on the staff just my impatience.

• Like 3

I think it’s fair to worry a bit about the eventual consequences of Bruce’s clear decision to de-emphasize high school recruiting. Perhaps it will turn out to be the right call over the next few years, but it’s a strategy that is still reliant (as all of the best teams are) on landing at least one or two of the top recruits every year. 

On 8/2/2023 at 10:10 AM, Dunndone414 said:

but it’s a strategy that is still reliant (as all of the best teams are) on landing at least one or two of the top recruits every year. 

@Dunndone414 According to Bruce that's his plan.

On 8/2/2023 at 2:20 PM, HAPvsOA said:

I saw that Cam Scott is committing soon. Anyone know if we are in this? I thought at one point we had mutual interest.

@HAPvsOA No AU buzz.

• Thanks 1

On 8/2/2023 at 2:20 PM, HAPvsOA said:

I saw that Cam Scott is committing soon. Anyone know if we are in this? I thought at one point we had mutual interest.

Mark My Words - we’re going to regret not going hard after this guy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have missed out on Cam Scott to Texas and the big man to Kansas. Who are the next targets the staff is making a priority? I don't understand why Pearl and staff did not make Scott a priority. Philon, who decomitted, is trending towards Ole Miss. For the last two years, it seems as if this staff puts all their eggs in one basket and continue to get burned. They did the same thing with the Center that ended up signing with Arkansas. What's next?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Tiger720 said:

Who are the next targets the staff is making a priority?

@Tiger720 Not sure that we are going after many. Bruce has said numerous times he's only taking 1 or 2 high schoolers in each class going forward and meeting the rest of the needs with transfers.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Tiger720 said:

We have missed out on Cam Scott to Texas and the big man to Kansas. Who are the next targets the staff is making a priority? I don't understand why Pearl and staff did not make Scott a priority. Philon, who decomitted, is trending towards Ole Miss. For the last two years, it seems as if this staff puts all their eggs in one basket and continue to get burned. They did the same thing with the Center that ended up signing with Arkansas. What's next?

This is 100% of my problem with Bruce and his staff. They continue to put all of their eggs in one basket and are left with egg on their face. They have been unable to close on some pretty big targets the last few years, for whatever reason (Under Armour brand, NIL, G-League, etc). 

Bruce has done an excellent job during his time at Auburn. But Bruce and his staff are not above criticism. There’s no doubt that Bruce will put a competitive team on the court every year and continue to win at Auburn. But how do we take the next step? How do we figure out how to close on some of these top prospects? 

I’m tired of hearing the excuses that I listed above. Put up the NIL money, change from UA to Nike, and do whatever it takes to make us elite! I’m sick of always being one step behind someone else.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 8/13/2023 at 12:17 AM, Tiger720 said:

To be fair, Philon's primary recruiter was Wes Flanigan and he's likely following him to Ole Miss. I agree we should have went after Cam Scott harder, but Bidunga's CBs to us seemingly came out of nowhere. Although we didn't get him (outbid at the last moment from what I understand), it showed that CBP and his team are putting in work, even if it may be in the shadows. The fact that we came that close to landing him while already having a stud 5 star committed shows how far we've come in the last decade. The PTB will still prioritize football over basketball when it comes to NIL budget (which is fine), but we will need to see them willing to put up the $$ when it comes to the TOP basketball prospects like Flory. Just my 2c.

• Like 1

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
On 9/28/2023 at 2:40 PM, toddc said:

It was nice when AU had some NIL money left over for basketball. Obviously, it sucked that Harsin wasn't catching the fish that Hugh is to use up our NIL pot. And I have no doubt that Pearl can still succeed with us trying to be a football school first again, but it was also nice to have players like Jabari, Kessler, Okoro, etc. while it lasted.    

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is it me? or does it feel like we're done for 2024? I'm a bit surprised that we're not going to add 1 more, but I guess it means more dipping into the transfer portal.

• 2 weeks later...