2023 3* New Mexico State Transfer CB Syrus Dumas Will Not Be A Tiger

ellitor

We ofered Syrus Dumas to play CB today & he quickle decommitted from UTSA. He is OVing AU early next week. Seems like 1 to watch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Interesting when I think we’re more interest in adding a safety. I could see this one moving quick.

• ellitor changed the title to 2023 3* New Mexico State Transfer CB Syrus Dumas

Does this addition to a fairly deep CB group allow them to move someone else to safety? Would any current CB have the tools to play there on the current roster?

1 hour ago, wildlife alumni said:

Does this addition to a fairly deep CB group allow them to move someone else to safety? Would any current CB have the tools to play there on the current roster?

I know Jaylin Simpson moved to safety and I think Pritchett plays both so maybe he goes back to safety full time

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DAG said:

Independence ? Last chance U!

I had a player go there. Some tough kids go through there.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ellitor said:

We ofered Syrus Dumas to play CB today & he quickle decommitted from UTSA. He is OVing AU early next week. Seems like 1 to watch.

its-a-wrap-steve-harvey.gif

57 minutes ago, bigbird said:

its-a-wrap-steve-harvey.gif

Yep..might as well commit.

Edited by DAG

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

so-good-wink.gif

I know people are probably not as excited with the last few coming from the non-power 5, but I think we are getting quality (I am also very biased).

• Like 2

Just offered a transfer CB from NM state. A sign of what's to come for punishments?

16 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Just offered a transfer CB from NM state. A sign of what's to come for punishments?

@WFE12 We have a thread on him & moved your post in here. Also not a sign of things to come. Staff has always wanted to add a DB in the Spring transfer window.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, DAG said:

I know people are probably not as excited with the last few coming from the non-power 5, but I think we are getting quality (I am also very biased).

This is akin to people convincing themselves an unknown 3* is going to be a good player really just b/c they want to will it to happen.  Odds are gonna be pretty low that these bottom of the barrel type transfers getting near no interest from other P5 programs, with limited production at their past schools, will turn into impact guys. 

Nixon/McLeod were both high production guys being recruited from a lower level by many P5 teams.  Sings was a pure backup after the JMU DE, had like 12 tackles last year.  Syrus is stolen from UTSA at the last second.

Doesn't mean they can't surprise people, just probably low probability of becoming heavy contributors.  We have schollies available, so no reason not to take these guys that'll just take up a slot for 1 or 2 years, maybe hope they develop and we hit the lottery

Edited by W.E.D

4 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

This is akin to people convincing themselves an unknown 3* is going to be a good player really just b/c they want to will it to happen.  Odds are gonna be pretty low that these bottom of the barrel type transfers getting near no interest from other P5 programs, with limited production at their past schools, will turn into impact guys. 

Nixon/McLeod were both high production guys being recruited from a lower level by many P5 teams.  Sings was a pure backup after the JMU DE, had like 12 tackles last year.  Syrus is stolen from UTSA at the last second.

Doesn't mean they can't surprise people, just probably low probability of becoming heavy contributors.  We have schollies available, so no reason not to take these guys that'll just take up a slot for 1 or 2 years, maybe hope they develop and we hit the lottery

Quality player equals really good player now? Man, you got to stop. We need depth pieces now. Now if we wouldn't have gotten anyone, you would be in here complaining about that. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

Quality player equals really good player now? Man, you got to stop. We need depth pieces now. Now if we wouldn't have gotten anyone, you would be in here complaining about that. 

Eh, I don't think so on that last part.  I don't think Sing contributes much this year after Faulk, McCleod, any others.  There's no reason to be under the 85 man cap and we're adding guys that can be injury insurance policies or ST players.  I'm not against taking these kids.  Just see ppl claiming these guys are good gets and will be contributors.  Not sure I see the likelihood of that.

Edited by W.E.D

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Eh, I don't think so on that last part.  I don't think Sing contributes much this year after Faulk, McCleod, any others.  There's no reason to be under the 85 man cap and we're adding guys that can be injury insurance policies or ST players.  I'm not against taking these kids.  Just see ppl claiming these guys are good gets and will be contributors.  Not sure I see the likelihood of that.

And that’s fine we can agree to disagree but that’s not the qualifier you were initially saying on my statement lol. I don’t expect these guys to be the next Jason Taylor or Darrel Revis, just like I don’t expect us to be a 9-10 win team, grace even an 8 win team.

I do expect these players to come in , work hard , and have some sort of positive impact whether it is in the form of depth  or two years down the line as a role player ,which in retrospect is a lot better than getting zero impact from players , something we’ve grown accustomed to. Transfer portal guys are not a form of sustain success, but it is what it is right now. I expect freeze to build from his high school classes in 24 and 25. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1