2023 3* New Mexico State Transfer CB Syrus Dumas Will Not Be A Tiger

ellitor

This is speculation but I believe Dumas is insurance for a corner that might be on the way out.

Regardless, dude is a ball-hawk. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• Zeek changed the title to 2023 3* New Mexico State Transfer CB Syrus Dumas Commits to AU!
  • Zeek featured and pinned this topic

BREAKING: New Mexico State CB Syrus Dumas commits to Auburn

Jeffrey Lee

(Photo: NMSU Athletics)

New Mexico State transfer cornerback Syrus Dumas will finish his college career playing for Auburn football.

Dumas, who originally is from Homewood, Ala., told Auburn Live on Sunday that he’s locked in with the Tigers.

“I’m committed to Auburn,” he said. “I’m locked in. Being from Homewood, this is an Alabama kid’s dream. I had to scratch and claw to get here, so now I have the opportunity to play at Auburn and I’m taking it.”

Dumas is expected to visit Auburn on Monday. He’ll get to meet more with defensive backs coach Zac Etheridge.

“That’s my coach,” Dumas said. “I like him and respect him. I grew up watching him and know who he is and what he’s about.

“I’m excited and my family is excited that I’m transferring to Auburn.”

Dumas, who previously was committed to UTSA, has two years of eligibility. He spent the past two seasons at New Mexico State where he played in 20 games total, tallying 83 tackles, including 61 solos and eight tackles for loss. He also had four interceptions and 15 pass breakups.

His best season came in 2022 when he had 44 tackles, 35 solos and two interceptions. He was named Phil Steele second-team All-Independent and College Football Network first-team All-Independent.

Dumas, who is listed at 5-foot-10 and 170 pounds, signed with New Mexico State in 2021 after spending the 2020 season at Independence Community College in Kansas.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This is for the whole recruiting department!

IMG_2768.jpeg

• Like 3

Portal

Former New Mexico State CB Syrus Dumas Transfers to UTSA

Former New Mexico State CB Syrus Dumas transfers to UTSA, immediately improving the Roadrunners' secondary with his all-around play.

✎Cam Mellor

May 6, 2023

Generating his own share of buzz in the transfer portal, former New Mexico State CB Syrus Dumas has made his intentions clear. Dumas committed to UTSA and joins a talented Roadrunners secondary for the 2023 season.

Syrus Dumas Transfers to UTSA

Dumas entered the transfer portal on April 21st and quickly generated a ton of interest from a bevy of schools. Joining the Roadrunners, however, Dumas will be able to use his all-around ability to quickly make an impact in San Antonio.

A College Football Network First-Team All-Independent on defense, Dumas turned heads during his two years at New Mexico State.

In what amounted to his final season at New Mexico State, Dumas recorded two interceptions and broke up another five passes. He was fourth on the team in tackles as he showcased he was a true three-down defender with great run-defense skills.

Prior to his time at New Mexico State, Dumas spent two seasons at Independence Community College where he also turned heads despite a truncated season. In just five games, Dumas registered double-digit tackles and a sack.

He’s a feisty cornerback with terrific ball skills in coverage. Dumas is known to bring the hit stick and has great instincts, especially in the crucial moments of games.

Head coach Jeff Traylor has built an incredible reputation in his short time as UTSA’s head coach on the national stage. His assistant coaches have done the same, notably Nick Graham, Traylor’s Defensive Pass Game Coordinator and Cornerbacks Coach.

Dumas, exclusively to College Football Network, stated Graham’s influence over his decision.

“Coach Graham is a guru,” Dumas said.

Most noticeably, Graham helped to develop star NFL rookie Tariq Woolen with the Roadrunners, and UTSA has a 30-10 record since Graham joined the staff. Graham’s place in the eye of talented playmakers in the portal is only growing, as is UTSA’s reputation.

That’s indicative of Dumas’ choice to transfer to UTSA over the slew of programs that had made offers.

Dumas will quickly become a name to watch in the Roadrunners’ secondary.

Dumas Quick Facts

Class: Redshirt senior

Height: 5’10”

Weight: 170

Hometown: Columbus, MS

Career total tackles: 95

Career interceptions: 4

Career pass breakups: 15

Career

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, toddc said:

Portal

Former New Mexico State CB Syrus Dumas Transfers to UTSA

Former New Mexico State CB Syrus Dumas transfers to UTSA, immediately improving the Roadrunners' secondary with his all-around play.

✎Cam Mellor

May 6, 2023

Generating his own share of buzz in the transfer portal, former New Mexico State CB Syrus Dumas has made his intentions clear. Dumas committed to UTSA and joins a talented Roadrunners secondary for the 2023 season.

Syrus Dumas Transfers to UTSA

Dumas entered the transfer portal on April 21st and quickly generated a ton of interest from a bevy of schools. Joining the Roadrunners, however, Dumas will be able to use his all-around ability to quickly make an impact in San Antonio.

A College Football Network First-Team All-Independent on defense, Dumas turned heads during his two years at New Mexico State.

In what amounted to his final season at New Mexico State, Dumas recorded two interceptions and broke up another five passes. He was fourth on the team in tackles as he showcased he was a true three-down defender with great run-defense skills.

Prior to his time at New Mexico State, Dumas spent two seasons at Independence Community College where he also turned heads despite a truncated season. In just five games, Dumas registered double-digit tackles and a sack.

He’s a feisty cornerback with terrific ball skills in coverage. Dumas is known to bring the hit stick and has great instincts, especially in the crucial moments of games.

Head coach Jeff Traylor has built an incredible reputation in his short time as UTSA’s head coach on the national stage. His assistant coaches have done the same, notably Nick Graham, Traylor’s Defensive Pass Game Coordinator and Cornerbacks Coach.

Dumas, exclusively to College Football Network, stated Graham’s influence over his decision.

“Coach Graham is a guru,” Dumas said.

Most noticeably, Graham helped to develop star NFL rookie Tariq Woolen with the Roadrunners, and UTSA has a 30-10 record since Graham joined the staff. Graham’s place in the eye of talented playmakers in the portal is only growing, as is UTSA’s reputation.

That’s indicative of Dumas’ choice to transfer to UTSA over the slew of programs that had made offers.

Dumas will quickly become a name to watch in the Roadrunners’ secondary.

Dumas Quick Facts

Height: 5’10”

Weight: 170

Hometown: Columbus, MS

Career total tackles: 95

Career interceptions: 4

Career pass breakups: 15

Career

So I'm confused. One article says he's from Homewood, one says he's from Columbus.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Zeek said:

This is speculation but I believe Dumas is insurance for a corner that might be on the way out.

Not necessarily. The staff always wanted a DB in the Spring window.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, toddc said:

This is for the whole recruiting department!

IMG_2768.jpeg

Looks more like what happened with our last recruiting department. I'd rather you post Bleuy.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Looks more like what happened with our last recruiting department. I'd rather you post Bleuy.

They are blowing my mind with their recruiting prowess. Don’t overthink it. Bluey is for high school commitments only. 😝 

Edited by toddc
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, toddc said:

They are blowing my mind with their recruiting prowess. Don’t overthink it.

Uhhh...

• Thanks 1

"I had to scratch and claw to get here, so now I have the opportunity to play at Auburn and I’m taking it.”

I love this attitude right here.  I'm going to be rooting for this kid.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, toddc said:

They are blowing my mind with their recruiting prowess. Don’t overthink it. Bluey is for high school commitments only. 😝 

Jim-carrey-all-righty-then GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, toddc said:

Prior to his time at New Mexico State, Dumas spent two seasons at Independence Community College

13 hours ago, toddc said:

I think he'd had 2 years of eligibility left. 

2019 - Redshirt
2020 - JUCO - Covid year doesn't count
2021 - Eligibility #1 New Mexico
2022 - Eligibility #2 New Mexico
2023 - Eligibility #3 Auburn
2024 - Eligibility #4 Auburn

Right?

18 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I think he'd had 2 years of eligibility left. 

2019 - Redshirt
2020 - JUCO - Covid year doesn't count
2021 - Eligibility #1 New Mexico
2022 - Eligibility #2 New Mexico
2023 - Eligibility #3 Auburn
2024 - Eligibility #4 Auburn

Right?

Per the ICC webpage he wasn't on the 2018-19 or 2019-20 rosters. His only season with ICC where he played was 2020-21, then he had 2 years at NMSU. So he's either a Super RS JR like you said or a stright up Super JR with still a RS to use if needed.

On 5/22/2023 at 12:50 AM, W.E.D said:

This is akin to people convincing themselves an unknown 3* is going to be a good player really just b/c they want to will it to happen.  Odds are gonna be pretty low that these bottom of the barrel type transfers getting near no interest from other P5 programs, with limited production at their past schools, will turn into impact guys. 

Nixon/McLeod were both high production guys being recruited from a lower level by many P5 teams.  Sings was a pure backup after the JMU DE, had like 12 tackles last year.  Syrus is stolen from UTSA at the last second.

Doesn't mean they can't surprise people, just probably low probability of becoming heavy contributors.  We have schollies available, so no reason not to take these guys that'll just take up a slot for 1 or 2 years, maybe hope they develop and we hit the lottery

On the positive side, I mean, he’s not a two star. Appears to be a pretty/fairly solid three star. Plus after the mess of last season, we even need special teams players, so who knows how this kid will turn out.

14 minutes ago, dilligas said:

Sounds like Auburn may not have accepted Dumas’ commitment according to Clemente of 247.

They accepted it yesterday but now don't have room. The going thought is we may now think we will not have to get rid of a player we thought we may have had to.

• Facepalm 1

• ellitor changed the title to 2023 3* New Mexico State Transfer CB Syrus Dumas Will Not Be A Tiger
  • ellitor unfeatured this topic
14 minutes ago, ellitor said:

They accepted it yesterday but now don't have room. The going thought is we may now think we will not have to get rid of a player we thought we may have had to.

Unless they’ve awarded another walk on a scholly they were at 84 before Dumas assuming both Sean Jackson and Blake Levant get scholarship renewals.  

28 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@Zeek @WFE12 My apologies. I was wrong it appears.

Playas mess up lol. I figured that's what it was. Good news for us. Sucks for him though. Dudes got kids and wanted to be close to home.

Edited by WFE12
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@Zeek @WFE12 My apologies. I was wrong it appears.

Just heard too. Not a fan of how this played out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, dilligas said:

Unless they’ve awarded another walk on a scholly they were at 84 before Dumas assuming both Sean Jackson and Blake Levant get scholarship renewals.  

@dilligas We were already at 85 scholly players assuming the long snapper was on scholly, like is almost alwas the case but rarely reported. Not having room now sounds like a player was expected to leave that now is not expected to leave.