2023 3* New Mexico State Transfer CB Syrus Dumas Will Not Be A Tiger

ellitor

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

Did we freaking miscalculated or something ? This is goofy 

Can't count to 85?

It's a bad look.  IDK who is at fault, if the kid jumped the gun or if On3 did.  Either way seems bad.  Especially when it seems like we have space (and probably going to lose a guy or 5 soon)

• Like 4

IMO I feel for the young man but This thing happens all the time now- usually behind the scenes. This is a business now. These guys are getting paid to play college football. 
Also … There is a huge difference between a commitment and a signing. If Auburn had sent out a tweet or a message that he has signed, that would be completely different. I don’t think he ever signed with Auburn. All of those posts are about a commitment. 

I mean, I know the poor guy wanted to sign with an Auburn, but again this is a business. This isn’t the football that we were raised on: honor scholarships, stay all 4 years, work hard and you will play maybe by the time you are a Jr/senior, $100 handshakes, etc. 

Those days are gone. Now it as “I’ve got to get mine now - I am not waiting”. 

…and Hue is good at the game so far. 

2 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

IMO I feel for the young man but This thing happens all the time now- usually behind the scenes. This is a business now. These guys are getting paid to play college football. 
Also … There is a huge difference between a commitment and a signing. If Auburn had sent out a tweet or a message that he has signed, that would be completely different. I don’t think he ever signed with Auburn. All of those posts are about a commitment. 

I mean, I know the poor guy wanted to sign with an Auburn, but again this is a business. This isn’t the football that we were raised on: honor scholarships, stay all 4 years, work hard and you will play maybe by the time you are a Jr/senior, $100 handshakes, etc. 

Those days are gone. Now it as “I’ve got to get mine now - I am not waiting”. 

…and Hue is good at the game so far. 

Perfect so auburn fans can’t act like only Bama and UGA do this stuff now? Because I for sure got sick of the “we are above  that” mantra 

Also, I shouldn’t see bitching when players commit then change there mind at the eleventh hour because it is a business. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, DAG said:

Perfect so auburn fans can’t act like only Bama and UGA do this stuff now? Because I for sure got sick of the “we are above  that” mantra 

Also, I shouldn’t see bitching when players commit then change there mind at the eleventh hour because it is a business. 

Well, I agree with the first part 100%. It is a business. And I don’t think that the Dumas situation was meant to be cruel in any way. 

That second part - you better believe I will bitch if we lose a committed star player the night before sighting day. Hahaha

It may be a business but we are still going to complain if the business we love goes down the crapper. 
I am sure Florida State and Ohio State fans were very unhappy with AU this past signing day. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Well, I agree with the first part 100%. It is a business. And I don’t think that the Dumas situation was meant to be cruel in any way. 

That second part - you better believe I will bitch if we lose a committed star player the night before sighting day. Hahaha

It may be a business but we are still going to complain if the business we love goes down the crapper. 
I am sure Florida State and Ohio State fans were very unhappy with AU this past signing day. 

Well, that is not hypocritical at all. Also, yes, it was totally cruel IF they gave him a committable offer only not to accept it at the last hour. Business or not, that is pretty s***ty. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dilligas said:

If the LS or any other walk-on than Jackson or Levant then yes we’re at 85.  Must be the case because they said they have no spot for Dumas.

You're right. I counted Dumas as 85. Without him we are at 84. 83 if LS is not on scholly.

FWIW BMatt is implying we backed off because we brought him in for a visit yesterday & he was not his listed 5'10 height.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, ellitor said:

FWIW BMatt is implying we backed off because we brought him in for a visit yesterday & he was not his listed 5'10 height.

Wait, didn’t Hugh Freeze see him play in person? 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, ellitor said:

That’s got to make Kaufman a little insecure about his future in our secondary if that’s the case. He’s 5’9” in a pair of cleats. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Well, that is not hypocritical at all. Also, yes, it was totally cruel IF they gave him a committable offer only not to accept it at the last hour. Business or not, that is pretty s***ty. 

Yeah that’s definitely bad business on the coaching staff part, they’ve been killing it in recruiting but this is a stain on their resume. This situation hasn’t been handled well at all 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Yeah … the height thing is a pretty weak excuse.  Don’t know how this has happened but I feel bad for the kid

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Not criticizing Brian Matthews nor you but I find, we backed off due to his height, very hard to believe.

It may be a case of if we want to play with and beat the big dogs, (Turds, thuga, LSU) we have to recruit like them as well. Don’t know anything for sure yet but if that is the case, it simply is, what it is.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DAG said:

Yeah but may have never looked at him eye to eye to gage how tall he really is.

11 hours ago, DAG said:

Probably.  But I bet he left his tape measure in his car.😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

That’s got to make Kaufman a little insecure about his future in our secondary if that’s the case. He’s 5’9” in a pair of cleats. 

Not necessarily, some of these suckers are tiny. 

9 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

Yeah … the height thing is a pretty weak excuse.  Don’t know how this has happened but I feel bad for the kid

Actually, it is a very weak excuse. Like, I would be insulted that you made up such a lame excuse rather than just telling the truth. You’ve seen film. Either the kid can play or he can’t. And it’s not like we were bringing him in to be a multi year starter. He was a depth piece. And then we are like, “Oh, you’re not actually 5’10”? No thanks, we would rather have nothing.” I hope he didn’t have to pay his own way to visit.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ellitor said:

They accepted it yesterday but now don't have room. The going thought is we may now think we will not have to get rid of a player we thought we may have had to.

Are you sure about that? When you report things like this, the AU fans that love to tear down their own school take this information as Gospel. And look here they are criticizing our coaching staff already. 

22 hours ago, Zeek said:

Just heard too. Not a fan of how this played out.

How did it play out? Did you talk to freeze and the player? 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

So the problem here is that the Auburn never excepted his commitment. Unfortunately, one of the AU pay websites said he was committed, but the other two major Auburn pay websites said he was not… and they were correct, he was not. 
The fault here is on the AU website jumping the gun and saying that we accepted his commitment when we never did. This type of thing happens all the time, but usually it is behind the scenes.

I wish the kid Good luck.

Nah, it is easier to say Auburn University is at fault. That is what message board people do.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DAG said:

Did we freaking miscalculated or something ? This is goofy 

12 hours ago, tigerman1153 said:

I know it has been mentioned by Coach Freeze that a couple incoming freshman might not be able to enroll, if so, this might be an opening to bring Dumas back into the fold...

I was wondering if maybe it had to do with that, or the possibility of the looming investigation about the recorded "team chemistry exercise" and possible suspensions. I wonder if maybe the staff got wind of good news regarding that?

edit- I do not like how it played out though regardless of reason

Edited by Tigerpro2a
  • Like 2